Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crisis and Scarecrow?

Go down 
+4
Karbo
zalzas
GREGOLE
Outlaw
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

Crisis and Scarecrow? Empty
PostSubject: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 2:59 pm

I've heard of this book but I have no idea what its about. Could some tell me or leave some information. Also why isn't it on the wiki?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 7:49 pm

Well, normally I'd feel bad about saying this, but seeing as how I had to pay good money for it, and it's technically commercialized now....

It was the single most useless pile of congested, literary bile that I've ever had the displeasure of reading, made me feel dumber after reading it, and I would earnestly enjoy beating the author to a twitching mess for making me PAY to read an abomination like that.

Every single character was absurdly OOC, the author went out of its way to make sure we were rooting for the villains to beat the heroes in, yet treated the villains like hellspawn. It used every single gawdawful cliche in the franchise, offered NO benefit whatsoever, portrayed Felarya HORRIBLY, and temporarily turned me against Crisis.

Frankly, I loathe to think about what the animation shorts of it are going to be like when the creator finally does them, and am embarrassed to have that same author be telling the story of Crisis and Lea's first meeting.

And as for why it's not listed on the wiki.... Well, since everyone was so ridiculously out of character and the story was an insult to everyone everywhere, I guess it was deemed unsafe for public viewing.
Back to top Go down
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Well, normally I'd feel bad about saying this, but seeing as how I had to pay good money for it, and it's technically commercialized now....

It was the single most useless pile of congested, literary bile that I've ever had the displeasure of reading, made me feel dumber after reading it, and I would earnestly enjoy beating the author to a twitching mess for making me PAY to read an abomination like that.

Every single character was absurdly OOC, the author went out of its way to make sure we were rooting for the villains to beat the heroes in, yet treated the villains like hellspawn. It used every single gawdawful cliche in the franchise, offered NO benefit whatsoever, portrayed Felarya HORRIBLY, and temporarily turned me against Crisis.

Frankly, I loathe to think about what the animation shorts of it are going to be like when the creator finally does them, and am embarrassed to have that same author be telling the story of Crisis and Lea's first meeting.

And as for why it's not listed on the wiki.... Well, since everyone was so ridiculously out of character and the story was an insult to everyone everywhere, I guess it was deemed unsafe for public viewing.

That’s Gregole speak for, “I didn’t much care for it” ^^
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 pm

All right I got that its not a favorite. However, I'm asking more for a summary of sorts. I searched the internet and someone posted information about Anna in robot, Crisis being attacked by black creatures, a dude getting his eye pulled out and such.Those are things that me say WTF!
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 pm

You don't need information because you don't need to read it. Simple as that. Just ignore it.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:18 pm

That bad? Hmm since your the one of the only two posting I'll settle. Thanks for the review. If anyone else has something to share please PM or post in the thread.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:19 am

GREGOLE wrote:

Dude why do you always have to put such agressivity in your messages ? Neutral
Honnestly I used to really appreciate your well thought interventions but lately you are being systematically agressive or arrogant whatever the subject or whoever your interlocutor is... You seriously need to chill out, the forums are definitely not a place where to "let of the steam"

As for Crisis and Scarecrow, well it is known you didn't liked it but this don't necessary mean it is an "pile of congested bile"... that was uncalled for Rolling Eyes

Outlaw : From my point of view this is an interpretation of Felarya that don't necessarily fit the real one but it is interesting nonetheless with some great moments to it.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Quote :
Honnestly I used to really appreciate your well thought interventions but lately you are being systematically agressive or arrogant whatever the subject or whoever your interlocutor is... You seriously need to chill out, the forums are definitely not a place where to "let of the steam"

As for Crisis and Scarecrow, well it is known you didn't liked it but this don't necessary mean it is an "pile of congested bile"... that was uncalled for Rolling Eyes

Considering how much I hated that "book", pretending for a moment that it deserved to be called that, I think what I did say about it was FAR too generous.

I apologize for being unnecessarily aggressive those other times, EXCEPT this time. That book made me want to kill people, and if someone's going to ask for information about it, I intend to GIVE it to them.

It was most certainly NOT uncalled for. That story is a flat out insult to the community, ESPECIALLY you, and if it were my call, I'd do everything in my power to get all copies of it pulled off the market.
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:01 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :

Considering how much I hated that "book", pretending for a moment that it deserved to be called that, I think what I did say about it was FAR too generous.

I apologize for being unnecessarily aggressive those other times, EXCEPT this time. That book made me want to kill people, and if someone's going to ask for information about it, I intend to GIVE it to them.

It was most certainly NOT uncalled for. That story is a flat out insult to the community, ESPECIALLY you, and if it were my call, I'd do everything in my power to get all copies of it pulled off the market.

I've only seen some scans of it, but I think it was okay. You GREGOLE, however, have been acting like the second authority here. You are not always right. You are not Karbo. You are a psychological bully. The way you reply to most things makes me think you have some sort of vendetta against everyone that expresses an opinion different then your own. In fact, whenever you answer things I post, I get the very real feeling you might be a homicidal maniac who is just waiting to blow.

I apologize for the above comment, it was out of line, I know. But I had to say it.

Outlaw, you can look on photobucket for the scans, but if it's not there it's probably because it got yanked.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Quote :
I've only seen some scans of it, but I think it was okay. You GREGOLE, however, have been acting like the second authority here. You are not always right. You are not Karbo. You are a psychological bully. The way you reply to most things makes me think you have some sort of vendetta against everyone that expresses an opinion different then your own. In fact, whenever you answer things I post, I get the very real feeling you might be a homicidal maniac who is just waiting to blow.

Dude, he asked for some information on it, I gave it to him. Frankly, I don't care if you agree or not, I've been waiting months to tell the public what I really thought of that piece of shit.

Do you have ANY idea what I had to go through when I read that book? It was a NIGHTMARE. The psychological trauma I went through was unspeakable.

I''m acting like the second authority here because I'm the ONLY one who seems willing to tell the truth about that waste of time and internet space.

So exCUSE me for trying to protect the public here!

Oh, and uh, if you call me a bully again, I'm going to..... well, I can't really do anything from here. So please don't again.
Back to top Go down
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Karbo wrote:
GREGOLE wrote:

Outlaw : From my point of view this is an interpretation of Felarya that don't necessarily fit the real one but it is interesting nonetheless with some great moments to it.

Please don’t be to terrible upset with Gergole, I think he has had a rather rough time lately, and he kind of publicly apologized in his latest journal for being abnormally grumpy as of late. And it kind of takes a while to get to really know Gregole and how he speaks to understand that he doesn’t really mean things as harshly as he sometimes says. I mean he even told me that he thought parts of it where funny, case in point that part with Anna having her period made us both laugh. Which is kind of bad. ^^;

Gregole is also a big Kaiju fan (Godzilla monster fan in case you didn’t know that) and he is kind of use to dealing with a lot of idiots in that field, and ME calling someone and idiot is a big deal! I think it kind of left him jaded when it comes to things that are kind of annoying. I mean to you this is just a simple story that may not have been perfect, but the author put a lot of time and effort into it and for that he should be respected. But I think Greogle has seen things like this before where it kind of ruins the fan base. I suppose I good example would be the 1998 American Godzilla movie. It was a movie about a monster names Godzila, but at its heart it wasn’t a Godzilla movie. It was something else, something bad. It’s hard for a monster to show personality, but Godzilla was always portrayed as kind of an Anti-hero. He would save people, of course, but usually for his own reasons and desires. He was never a good guy, but he wasn’t some mindless monster either. In the 1998 godzila movie they kind of broke that, Godzilla came off as just some big, raptor/dragon monster who almost randomly decided to live in Manhattan. The monster doesn’t really show any Godzilla like personality, and if it wasn’t for the name I don’t think most people would have called it a Godzilla movie at all. But a lot of people saw that movie, and they subsequently based their there opinion of Godzilla on that portrayal. So a lot of newbie fans started coming towards the Godzilla forms and started doing thing and writing fiction about Godzilla that portrayed him in the same way that he was portrayed in that movie. Which upset many fans of the original Godzilla because that just ISNT what Godzilla is. If that trend would have kept going then Godzilla would have permanently been changed for the worst. I think Gregole was just read so much fiction that portrayed him very wrongly, and drawings that depicted him so poorly that his tolerance for charecters being portrayed wrong has kind of diminished.

It’s kind of hard to explain. Think of it like this. Crisis and Scarecrow comes around, and is so popular that everyone uses it as a bases for Felarya fiction. Instead of Crisis being her strong yet bubbly self, she kind of always gets portrayed as a damsel in distress. Unable to take care of her self and always needing to be rescued by some super powered human who she would subsequently sleep with, while subsequently getting lectured about why she shouldn’t eat humans and how it is evil, to which she would eventually except. She becomes a two dimensional character that is utterly striped of all the things that make her special and interesting. Doesn’t that sort of scare you? The character you spent so much time making really alive and dynamic reduce to a mere shadow of her former self. Think if that happened to all of Felarya, instead of a lush environment with dynamic characters and interesting adventures, it would be boiled down to just a few clichés. A human as the hero, a naga as the damsel in distress, maybe a dryad to act as the wise advice giver, some evil Dridder antagonist, and maybe some lesion at the end that about how we are all one and should lover each other and not eat people or something. That would be a terrible thing to happen to Felarya, and I certainly don’t think that is your vision. I also think that the likely hood of this happing is rather great. Look at some of the common fanf iction you get. I mean most of the fan made characters ARE in fact nagas themselves. Most of the fan made dridders are evil. Any human is usually super powerful and could kill a naga in one hit or something. There is a terrible lack of characters of any other species then those. I mean, it’s a rather sad thing. Its hard to kind of berate authors who do this sort of thing, I mean they put a LOT of time and effort into there work and its would be heart wrenching if they hear that there work might have been a bit cliché. It’s reasonable for most people to write stories that kind of resemble more popular work, people see success and try to emulate what they see so they can be successfully and liked to. I also wouldn’t be surprised if most writers here did that without even realizing it, but I still think that’s a dangerous rode. And I think that is why Greolge so upset when he sees works like “Crisis and Scarecrow” getting so much credit. If work that doesn’t really portray the characters correctly, and doesn’t portray they world correctly, gets a lot of attention then more works like it are sure to come along. And if those works subsequently become popular then they will spawn more works until the fiction of Felarya changes so much so that I t loses all the charm it had to begin with. I LOVE the Felarya in which you depicted it. Wild, dangerous, deadly and untamable. With even the crafty predators always on the very precipice of death. a world where there are NO top predators, and where anyone is at risk for there lives. A world like that almost automatically gives the characters who live there a certain edge. Crisis might be a nice, sweet naga, but she is also a dangerous predator who has managed to live as long as she had though a combination of amazing skills in survive and a good deal of luck. That ADDS something to her, something special. And that special quality seems almost gone in “Crisis and Scarecrow”, and sense that quality was missing in that story then it will be missing in other stories by other authors who are inspired by it. let me ask you, if you changed Crisis’s name in “Crisis and Scarecrow” could you still tell it was Crisis? Could almost anyone familiar with Crisis read that story and go “hey, that character in that story sounds a lot like Crisis” I don’t really think so. She was just to generic and lacking in her depth in that story, so in fan fiction that is inspired by that work then she will also be portrayed as generic and lacking in depth. It would be a character that goes by the name of Crisis, but it would defiantly not be Crisis. and many fiction writers would not realize that, so the would continue to depicted her inaccurately like that until almost everyone thought of her in that way. It would change Crisis in to something worse. We would lose the Crisis that we know and love, and in her place would be a Crisis shaped clone. Similar in name only.

So please don’t be to terriblely upset with Gregole, I think that truly is a little scared of this story. Scared that it might ruin the world he has come to love so very much. Scared in the same way that the 1998 Godzilla movie almost ruined the Godzilla community, which he himself was a witness to and personally saw the degradation.

Frankly I am scared too. I am a writer as well, and I will be the first to admit that I am not a very good one. And I KNOW how much work it takes to write a story like that, I cant imagine the hours, WEEKS even, that the author spent writing “Crisis and Scarecrow” that must effort for a fan fiction should be applauded, but at the same time its inaccurate depiction of the characters and the world could almost be seen as damaging to Felarya as a whole. Which I feel just TERRIBLE for saying, I am sure the author tried his best and never meant to do any harm. I am sure he loves Felarya and Crisis is he put so much effort in to write that story. it couldn’t have me easy. And he was also one of the first to write a really long Felarya story like that, so he can also be seen as a pioneer for the rest of us. But in the end, I fear his work ended up to be a bit subpar, and I think he depicted Crisis and Felarya poorly. I worry about making the same mistakes that this author did, I constantly need to ask my self “is this how Felarya really is? Is this how Crisis would really act? Will someone read this and get the wrong impression? Am I being too cliché?”

I think that it’s kind of hard to appreciate your own work, and how it will effect other people that you care about. Gregole saw this particular work and it struck a very negative cord with him, it was not the Felarya he loved and it was not the Crisis he loved. And he knows exactly what can happen when an inaccurate description of something you love gets around and the damage it can do. Which I think is why he is so quick to berate this work. So that no one will take it seriously and subsequently write fiction based off it that will make a snowball effect that will start changing Felarya for the worst. Also you must consider that Gregole is dealing with a lot of problems lately, which I think has worn on his patients quite a deal.

I by no means want to be talking for Greogle here, but I do consider him my best friend and I would hate for him to start getting a bad rap here for some of the comments he makes while under the influence of a bad mood and some bad experience. I hope I am not stepping over the line at all. I just thought I would be a good idea to try and explain why I believe Gregole seems to be so strong with his words and opines sometimes. He has seen what happens when clichés start getting popular and I think that he really would hate for Felarya to fall to them. He comes off so rough so times because he is just really scared that he might lose the Felarya that has become so precious to him, and I believe we all can under stand that. Also Greogle likes to exaggerate a little bit ^^ so keep that in mind too, its just the way he talks.

I hope you’re not mad at me for saying all this Gregole, I by no means want to imply that your opinions are not valid and that your cant defend your self. In fact I believe just the opposite. But I do understand that you come off a bit harsh, and people who don’t really know you might think poor of you. In fact, if I had not first met you though my work, and then gotten to know you though chatting on AIM, if my only knowledge of you came from the messages you post on the boards, then I don’t think I would have really liked you that much. I would have thought you had a good point on most things, certainly, but I think I would have thought you to be a bit of a meany. But fortunately I DID get to know you, and I DO like you. You’re a good friend, and I think I can more easily understand where you’re coming from. I love you like a brother, and I really mean that. Which is why I spent the time to write this incredible long message, and I do apologize for it being off topic. I just think that more people need to get to know you before then can understand they way you talk and what you really mean in your massages, why they seem harsher and why your more quick to stop things that you believe are cliché. So once again Karbo, please don’t be too terrible mad at Gregole. He is a good guy, and he really has everyone’s best interest at heart. I just think you need to get to know him a bit more before you can really understand where he is coming from. In fact I think it would be nice if we ALL could get to know each other a little better. I am sure this form is filled with nice and kind people, and I am sure I can find a great many more friends here. I am sure we ALL could find more friends here if we got to know each other more. I mean I am under the opinion that Karbo is a nice guy, but where not friends. Not because I don’t admire him, but because we don’t talk to each other very often, and on subjects other then on a Felarya nature. That how I feel with most of you, that your nice people and I would like to get to know you all more. But most of us aren’t really friends. Because we never really talk to each other outside of Felarya. That’s seems like a shame to me. hopefully we all can get to know each other better in the future.

I apologize once again for the long, off topic speech I just gave. I am sorry if I over stepped my bounds, and I am sorry if I was mistaken in anything I said. I truly meant no harm, and I do have the greatesd respect for Gregole, Karbo and the author of “Crisis and Scarecrow” whose name escapes me at the moment. I just thought I could shed some light on the situation, and make everyone more aware of the danger Felarya is in due to inaccurate fan fiction, and why Gregole is so quick to defend Felarya as it is at ever possible turn. Thanks you for listening to me, I love all the people here, and I hope we can all get along.
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Technically, Gregole, you ARE a bully of the forums...Every post someone makes, or if someone posts their ideas in the "New Ideas" thread, you always try to make it clear that everyone is wrong but you. Take the Megoladon idea for example...I did some research on the Megoladon, and I mean books from the library and everything like that...yet you still insulted my intelligence by stating that my information on the Meg was obsurd, and that YOU knew everything.... i have let that incident go, yes, but it infuriates me to witness your harsh words towards others. Yes, Gregole, you have your own opinions and thoughts, but PLEASE try to be less harsh toward others when stating them...

Phew...now that that's off my chest...

I for one have never read Crisis and Scarecrow, but it looks interesting. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that.

Last edited by mikeimp on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://Michael-son-of-goku.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:35 pm

zalzas wrote:

Well I applaude on how well and clear you made your point ^_^

Don't worry, I am not really mad, I was just a bit annoyed that's all. Gregole is a person I have high esteem for as well Wink
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Karbo wrote:
zalzas wrote:

Well I applaude on how well and clear you made your point ^_^

Don't worry, I am not really mad, I was just a bit annoyed that's all. Gregole is a person I have high esteem for as well Wink

Well thank you, it really please me to hear that. I was a bit surprised in myself how well that actually came out, and how quickly it took me to write it. It actually only took me about an hour or two, and usually something of that length takes much longer for me to write. I just took my first pill that was supposed to help my problem with my ADHD, and I guess it must be working pretty well. Smile

Oh I get annoyed with Gregole as well, but though it all I know he is a good person and I love him, not in a gay way though (he has cooties Xp) I just worry a lot about people not getting along and fighting with each other, especially if its over a misunderstanding. I still think that for the most part we all can be friends, and I do mean friends. Not the “hey I like Felaya too! lets both talk to each other only about Felarya and only do RP’s and stuff” I want us all to be the kind of friends that help each other movie out of an apartment, or the kind of friends ones wont ditch you when you get caught with the cops and leave you red handed….I don’t know WHAT will would be doing that would get us arrested, but it happens ^^
Back to top Go down
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 2:23 pm

I lost interest in reading the story a quarter of the way when it was still on dA. (But that's only because I'm not a voraphile.) I did consider buying it, but I didn't have the means to do it.

Somehow, I thought Servomoore (the author) was seeking recognition of Felarya, especially after proposing to make an Enciclopedia Dramatica article. I didn't have a very high oppinion of him afterwards. Karbo is wise in his decision of keeping discretion.
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Claire

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 2:51 pm

I personally havent read it, but from what I heard, I prob wouldnt be able to finish it if i wanted too. I would get nightmares hahaha.

But man. why the Dridders got to be the bad guys!!!!!!!!!!! and they got their butts kicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats not cool!. I wanted the Dridders to win Very Mad

Very Mad

mwhahaha i still own the First Felarya handheld product, the Felarya Fighting Arcade Stick MWHAHAHA!! *evil laugh.

But yea in all seriousness i didnt like how the characters where depicted, even through its part of their character in some cases, i wouldnt want to see a picture or read about it. From what i heard, its like the main character, "good guys" w/e u want to call it were the bad guys.

and the bad guys were the good guys lol. I personally wouldnt cheer for and support a character that eats children (who knows what else happened, i heard there was a lot more then just that) -____-. thats just not right...... no offense.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

PostSubject: Sigh   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 10:29 pm

In other words only one person here has read it, with another person reading just the draft. Hm, not much for information. Its not about what it does for the series, just knowing about it in better detail. Also I checked photobucket, like it was said the pictures don't seem to be there anymore. But then again none of you had to post in the first place so... Thank You
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crisis and Scarecrow?   Crisis and Scarecrow? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crisis and Scarecrow?
Page 1 of 1