Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ozone Beasts

Go down 
+5
Spykeofkonoha
Pendragon
nksrocks
GREGOLE
Rythmear
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 5:17 am

This is something I've been thinking about for some time, but haven't really been able to put words to till now.

Ozone beasts are created from magical backlash, as a result of the tainted magical winds expelling the waste of human thought from themselves and giving it physical form. Every time a human mage casts a spell (all other races use the essence of Felarya for their magic - humans use their own primitive form) an Ozone beast is brought into the world. There is no fixed location for their appearance, but a few key facts remain the same regardless of the spell caster and the location they arrive.

#1 Because the backlash of a spell will differ depending on the strength of the spell and the element used, the initial size of an Ozone beast will differ, but they all share the same basic physical characteristics. Because they are spawned from the mind of a human, they share that humans physical appearance. However, because they are made wholly of magic, there will be key differences. An Ozone beast spawned from an ice spell will exude a subtle cold aura, and the color of their flesh will be distinctly flatter and paler. Where as a beast spawned from a fire spell will appear brighter and will be warm to the touch.

#2 They will always be naked. The mind wears no clothes, and thus the magical backlash doesn't.

#3 They will ALWAYS be female. Many of the less educated Felaryan inhabitants wonder at this, but all humans begin life female. Males undergo further change, but the base template is feminine, and thus their base magical core is invariably female. So if a male mage case a spell, it would be a female version of himself...

As was mentioned earlier, the Ozone beasts can be created at varying sizes... a simple teleportation spell, or blast of fire to light a candle requires almost no magical effort at all, and the Ozone beast spawned from it will be minute, maybe no more than a centimeter tall - a meal even for insects and rodents.

However, a much larger spell, such as one used to summon a demon, or summon a blast big enough to injur a Naga, will create an Ozone beast almost the size of the spell caster - or more!

Due to the unstable nature of the expelled magical byproduct that forms their physical make up, the Ozone beasts are constantly growing. It slows or speeds up depending on their proximity to the spell caster. The exception is if the caster dies... once the caster is destroyed, the Ozone beast will cease growing - with one exception. If the Ozone beast eats their creator - which is a common enough happening in the event of them actually meeting - they will undergo a rapid and unstable growth spurt. They will grow and grow, losing all sense of control and going on a feeding frenzy, devouring anything nearby that they can stuff into their mouths. However, once all prey in the immediate vicinity is exhausted, their starving stomachs - which are constantly growing - can stand the expansion no longer, and the entire beast will spontaneously implode harmlessly, evaporating in a cloud of anti-magic which quickly fades, leaving no evidence that it ever existed.

If an Ozone beast does not ever encounter its creator, and assuming its creator is alive the whole time, the creatures must feed constantly to survive. The average life expectancy for most Ozone beasts isn't more than a day or so, as the smaller creatures find prey difficult to locate with their new bodies, which they take some time to become accustomed to.

They have a very limited intelligence, and for the most part exist wholly with a desire to feed. This lack of common sense or basic survival makes them ideal prey for many larger creatures. To creatures like Crisis (who has eaten more than her fair share of Ozone beasts without ever realizing it) Ozone beasts are indistinguishable from regular humans. After all, why would a Naga care if a human is a bit chilly so long as they taste good? Unfortunately, the Ozone beasts only tend to last till the stomach, at which point they dissipate into nothingness, which causes the Naga's to conclude that they still need to eat.

Still, they do provide some measure of satisfaction to most predators, as they do not lack taste, and there is no shortage of them (humans rely far too much on magic).

Ultimately, Ozone beasts have a very low threat level the majority of the time due to their very low life span - and if they are more than a days travel from the source of their creation, they wont grow more than a millimeter a day.

However, some Ozone beasts can be classified with a threat level of medium to high, if they become large enough, which usually occurs when an encounter is made between a mage and one of his own spawn. Such an event causes them to grow a milimeter every tenth of a second, rather than every day.

Telltale signs of Ozone beasts include:

#1: Lack of conversation. Ozone beasts have the capacity to imitate the sound of human speech, but they lack the capacity to filter out external sounds. One Ozone beast had enough cunning to stalk its source to his hut in a local village. It attempted to fool him into approaching it so it could knock him out and drag him away for eating, but in a moment of foolishness, it imitated the sound of someone the mage had spoken to in a local pub - along with the sound of the minstril that had been playing in the background. The mage proceeded to decapitate the Ozone beast, whose flesh offered little resistance.

#2: Discoloration / extreme colors. Ozone beasts are affected by the spell used to make them... if you see a human with any subtle abnormalities, such as green tinged skin, frosty hair, a slight transparency, or muscles like rocks, chances are - it's an Ozone beast. Find any excuse to leave and then walk in the other direction...

#3: Because of their general weakness, Ozone beasts rely heavily on the element of surprise... the element of surprise doesn't mix well with other elements: like fire. Ozone beasts, even if created from a fire spell, will avoid fire like the plague. Their entire form is flammable, and will catch alight easier than petrol. If you see someone sitting further away from the fire than seems sensible during an expedition in the cold - keep an eye open when you go to sleep.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 9:32 am

Interesting. Definitely adds another, exceptionally strange element to Felarya.
I like the idea of them occuring every time a human spell is cast, but living ridiculously short lives.
It opens the possibilities for countless short stories and encounters with them, without dramatically altering anything else.

It's a pretty haunting concept, actually. I love it!
Back to top Go down
nksrocks
Marauder of the deep jungle
nksrocks

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 9:56 am

I quite like the part about the female counterpart that results from the spell casting even if the mage is male. It has really sense for magic is something that has been given "birth" from the energy of the caster.

I really liked this bio.

Thinking about it, human sized Ozone beasts somewhat act even as feeding decoys for the big predators, keeping alive many other inhabitants of Felarya...
Back to top Go down
http://nksrocks.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 11:21 am

Hmm... this idea is really great. It's unique and adds a flare to the already interesting world of Felarya.

Keep up the great work, Rythmear.
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 11:52 am

Hmm... this bio is indeed a well thought out and detailed description of what happens when a human casts a spell. I have a feeling both my character Spyke and his enemy Hellion Oben would be having a bunch of them pop up around them if this gets accepted.
Back to top Go down
http://Spykeofkonoha.deviantart.com
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Raetsu Lord Pichu

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Hmm, I'm lovin these Ozone Beasts dood, the fact they are born from magical bi-products is especially unique

Keep up the awesomsauce work my good sir
Back to top Go down
http://pimpdaddypichu.deviantart.com/
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 6:34 pm

Very Happy thank you all for the positive reviews... I await the big man's comments.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:09 am

Ohh very nice concept here, very interesting !

I am not totally convinced by the fact that it happens every time, I'd see more it happens under some circumstances, and by the fact the ozone is female no matter what but I just love this idea of a counterpart when you use magic and the incidence it can have on the whole Felarya eco-system Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 2:47 pm

I'm glad you like Very Happy

It's not like spamming fire balls at someone would generate thousands of these, all the collective backlash would come together when the string of spells stopped.

And I wasn't kidding about the base template of humans being female... that's scientific fact.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Rythmear wrote:

And I wasn't kidding about the base template of humans being female... that's scientific fact.
Technically, you start out as Neither. You RESEMBLE a Female more than anything else (So this is still true enough anyways), though you really are neither. It's just that a Female requires a lot, LOT less work.

Good enough entry, anyways. Thinking of adding a minor race myself, though still has a load of work to be done to it.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 3:54 pm

Rythmear wrote:

It's not like spamming fire balls at someone would generate thousands of these, all the collective backlash would come together when the string of spells stopped.
You mean after a battle between two magicians will create one Ozone beast by example Question
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 4:00 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

You mean after a battle between two magicians will create one Ozone beast by example Question

If so, and it's the combined power of the magic's unleashed, imagine what a Duel similar in scale to Irenicus v Bhaalspawn would likely churn out.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Malahite wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

If so, and it's the combined power of the magic's unleashed, imagine what a Duel similar in scale to Irenicus v Bhaalspawn would likely churn out.

Maybe something very dangerous, but it was just a supposition. This creature may happen as a side effect of a strong magic activities by example in the game WoW the burning Crusade the blood elves create a sort of a facility to collect mana energies they called Manaforge on of the consequence was the appearance of strange creature of mana.

What I mean this creatures may be the result of a too much concentration of magic energy, a bit like the monster like Godzilla which were born due to a nuclear explosion.

Or maybe like the cartoon Alladin from Disney where in a episode, a powerfull monster appears each time three magic users were fighting beatween each others. (Sorry for the example, if you find them very childish Very Happy )

It may explain why the insects can nullify magic to avoid this kind of consequence maybe

It's just a supposition Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 5:29 pm

Malahite wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

Technically, you start out as Neither. You RESEMBLE a Female more than anything else (So this is still true enough anyways), though you really are neither. It's just that a Female requires a lot, LOT less work.

Good enough entry, anyways. Thinking of adding a minor race myself, though still has a load of work to be done to it.

Damn! Beat me to the punch. Oh well, yes this is a scientific fact that all children at conception resemble females until a certain point in the womb. However, the base chromosomes are what separate the two from each other. XX or XY, after a certain point in gestation the physical traits start appearing; this is pretty early on too, I'd say around mid gestation though I've been known to be wrong before.

I don't have any of my material in front of me so I'm just drawing off of memory, but the general statement of resemblance is true.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:26 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Malahite wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

Maybe something very dangerous, but it was just a supposition. This creature may happen as a side effect of a strong magic activities by example in the game WoW the burning Crusade the blood elves create a sort of a facility to collect mana energies they called Manaforge on of the consequence was the appearance of strange creature of mana.

What I mean this creatures may be the result of a too much concentration of magic energy, a bit like the monster like Godzilla which were born due to a nuclear explosion.

Or maybe like the cartoon Alladin from Disney where in a episode, a powerfull monster appears each time three magic users were fighting beatween each others. (Sorry for the example, if you find them very childish Very Happy )

It may explain why the insects can nullify magic to avoid this kind of consequence maybe

It's just a supposition Very Happy

You have compared my beloved Ozone beasts to World of Shitcraft, and now you must be killed. Please remain seated, an assassin is en route to your house.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:29 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

No, every spell caster creates Ozone beasts during spell casting... but the beasts aren't created till the magical backlash is released. If a spell caster focuses on firing multiple fire balls, then a lightning bolt or teleport to safety, only one Ozone beast will be created - specifically, when the mage stops focusing on their spells. When they relax, the magical waste is emptied from their mind, and an Ozone beast is formed. Depending on how MUCH magic was used, the Ozone beast could be smaller than a cockroach, or half the size of a Naga. (But this second instance would only occur as a result of a titanic magical battle, that would either be enough to level an entire army, or to a lesser extent, a battle that lasts for over 24 hours.
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:57 am

Rythmear wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

No, every spell caster creates Ozone beasts during spell casting... but the beasts aren't created till the magical backlash is released. If a spell caster focuses on firing multiple fire balls, then a lightning bolt or teleport to safety, only one Ozone beast will be created - specifically, when the mage stops focusing on their spells. When they relax, the magical waste is emptied from their mind, and an Ozone beast is formed. Depending on how MUCH magic was used, the Ozone beast could be smaller than a cockroach, or half the size of a Naga. (But this second instance would only occur as a result of a titanic magical battle, that would either be enough to level an entire army, or to a lesser extent, a battle that lasts for over 24 hours.

Okay, let me make it simpler for those that still don't understand:

Each mage or sorcerer that casts a spell not only creates a magic spell but a certain amount of backlash as a result from the magic. This backlash collects in the area after said magic user has relaxed or basically called it a day. Depending on the amount of magic used, these beasts can be anywhere from the size of a small bug to about the size of a Naga.

An example of a small Ozone beast would be if someone just used magic to light a camp fire. Not a whole not of magic needed. So once the user rests their mind, the beast is created. The beast would likely be the size of a small bug.

Now I'm assuming that the arrival of the beast isn't very flashy, unless of course the amount of energy expended is enormous.

However, if a magic battle were waged for days on end or say a Doomsday spell was used; the Ozone Beast that would result would be of catastrophic proportions.

This is the simplified version of what Rythmear was saying about their "birth."
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 5:43 am

Spykeofkonoha wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

Each mage or sorcerer that casts a spell not only creates a magic spell but a certain amount of backlash as a result from the magic. This backlash collects in the area after said magic user has relaxed or basically called it a day. Depending on the amount of magic used, these beasts can be anywhere from the size of a small bug to about the size of a Naga.

An example of a small Ozone beast would be if someone just used magic to light a camp fire. Not a whole not of magic needed. So once the user rests their mind, the beast is created. The beast would likely be the size of a small bug.

Now I'm assuming that the arrival of the beast isn't very flashy, unless of course the amount of energy expended is enormous.

However, if a magic battle were waged for days on end or say a Doomsday spell was used; the Ozone Beast that would result would be of catastrophic proportions.

Ok thanks guys, I start to understand Very Happy
but I have another question, if only humans mage or spellcasters which do that or everyone Question
By example the case of magical creature like fairies, when they use their magic to change their size or to shrink their prey, may an ozone beast appear Question
In that case Felarya may be over crowd by ozone beasts, by example I see more an ozone beast appear after an intense magical fight like a Gandhal versus the Balrog where a strong saturation of magical energy gave birth to this creature, ok but may it happen anythime and anywhere Question

Rythmear wrote:
You have compared my beloved Ozone beasts to World of Shitcraft, and now you must be killed. Please remain seated, an assassin is en route to your house.
I have a bad news, the luck of the assassin has turned and my "little" neko eat him Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 6:08 am

Rythmear wrote:

I've never seen anything remotely similar to an Ozone Beast in WoW. The closest thing in there is likely those fire entities I've seen.

They're more like FF summons if you ask me, except they're interesting (and highly unstable), since they are the result of magic and all.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 7:43 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Spykeofkonoha wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

Ok thanks guys, I start to understand Very Happy
but I have another question, if only humans mage or spellcasters which do that or everyone Question
By example the case of magical creature like fairies, when they use their magic to change their size or to shrink their prey, may an ozone beast appear Question
In that case Felarya may be over crowd by ozone beasts, by example I see more an ozone beast appear after an intense magical fight like a Gandhal versus the Balrog where a strong saturation of magical energy gave birth to this creature, ok but may it happen anythime and anywhere Question

Rythmear wrote:
I have a bad news, the luck of the assassin has turned and my "little" neko eat him Laughing

I already answered that in the original description. ONLY human mages generate them, Fairie magic is based on natural ability, not special magical ability. All Fairies have magic in their blood, where humans do not. For a Fairie, no concentration is required, it's as natural as swallowing - they know it from birth.

And I hired 47 to kill you, so he won't fail, and you won't expect it.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 am

Pendragon wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

I've never seen anything remotely similar to an Ozone Beast in WoW. The closest thing in there is likely those fire entities I've seen.

They're more like FF summons if you ask me, except they're interesting (and highly unstable), since they are the result of magic and all.

No, he made a comparison to WoW.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 8:14 am

Rythmear wrote:

I already answered that in the original description. ONLY human mages generate them, Fairie magic is based on natural ability, not special magical ability. All Fairies have magic in their blood, where humans do not. For a Fairie, no concentration is required, it's as natural as swallowing - they know it from birth.

Ok I understand now Very Happy
Sorry what 47 do you hired the game or the movie Laughing
And sorry again as I said the neko who is with me is a bit special Very Happy
I hope you paid him enough because I'm not cheap target Cool

And for the comparison it was just about a strange creature which may appear when there is abnormal mana (magic energy) activity but there is no similar point between the Ozone beasts and the creature of mana Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 8:05 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Rythmear wrote:

Ok I understand now Very Happy
Sorry what 47 do you hired the game or the movie Laughing
And sorry again as I said the neko who is with me is a bit special Very Happy
I hope you paid him enough because I'm not cheap target Cool

And for the comparison it was just about a strange creature which may appear when there is abnormal mana (magic energy) activity but there is no similar point between the Ozone beasts and the creature of mana Very Happy

The Movie 47 was nowhere near as good as the game one. And as for your Neko... I eat Neko's for lunch, so I don't care how special they are >.>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ozone Beasts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozone Beasts   Ozone Beasts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ozone Beasts
Page 1 of 1