Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

requirements for char(s) on wiki?

Go down 
+7
ZionAtriedes
Feadraug
Karbo
GREGOLE
rcs619
Archmage_Bael
Reptillian
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

requirements for char(s) on wiki? Empty
PostSubject: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:58 am

I have made THIS character. I think it's pretty good and it's still under development...But what would it take to get it on the wiki?

If it's stories, then i'm already doing that.

please tell me what the requirements, for getting it on the wiki are.
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:30 pm

the requirements are karbo's approval, he is very selective about having characters on there.
There are thousands of fans so you could see his hesitation.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:35 pm

i'm asking what karbo believes is required for a good char T_T'
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Reptillian wrote:
i'm asking what karbo believes is required for a good char T_T'

A lot of it depends on whether or not he believes the character will fit in and work in canon Felarya. If you come into this community expecting a character to make the wiki, you're going to be disappointed. Write stories with her, use her, refine her and just have fun. Hell, it took Terror and Ryla over a year to make it into the wiki.

There are no "requirments" it is solely based on Karbo's opinion on if they will fit in, and work in the "real" Felarya.

So, work hard and work to define her character and stop trying to get her into the wiki. Most characters that made it were made without getting into the wiki in mind. I know I made Fiona how I wanted her to be, and just wrote about what I wanted. I never expected Fiona to make the wiki. Same goes with Moony and Terror, Greg with Ryla, and even Zoekin never made a serious attempt to get Kat into the wiki. They all just did what they wanted, and worked to make their character as good as they could.

If you truly care about your character, others can tell, and they will care for her too ^^

Karbo has to be selective with the wiki, or we'd be full of self-insert characters and bad ideas by now. There are plenty of both mixed in with the genuinely good ideas around here.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:02 pm

What Cliff said. But in addition to that, one thing I'd recommend would be to actually write a story involving this character. That's the only way one can truly tell if you've put your best into this character. If the story is good, then you stand a chance. Simple as that.

For almost everyone in the wiki, the community first took notice of them through stories. Sure, many characters started off with drawings or bios, but they all evolved far beyond that and became three-dimensional, fleshed out characters, each with a soul.

I'd keep working on yours, develop a full story for them. It's a natural process that you really can't rush.

When I first joined this community, I was intimidated, sure. But I didn't bother to try and force my way into it. I did my own thing, let it evolve, tweaked things as my interests changed, and eventually came up with something solid and personal to me.

Just give it time and effort.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Well getting regular ideas on the wiki is not that hard I think , but for characters this is getting a bit tough, yes ^^;

Like rcs619 said there begins to be really many of them..
I am personnaly looking for characters that have a unique feel to them, while in the same time integrating themselves well in the rest of the world ( without imposing themselves either, like a character who would suddenly be the lost sister of Crisis, or be friend with every existing characters etc.. )
I am not looking at originality at all cost but rather a well though out personnality that make them unique Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:20 pm

And developing a character is fundamental as well. You can have a character, nicely done in the New Ideas section, but if you don't show the character in a certain environment, be sure the chances to get it into the Wiki will be really low if you really aim for that. But a character isn't a thing you put in a Wiki, it's a being - even if fictional - you've created and you want them characters to grow, to be more complex. Stories are a nice way to develop your characters far from their bios and drawings.

Taking myself as an example, I don't think of my chars getting in the Wiki, specially as one of them isn't well developed and the other one has recently been created (there's the third and 'most famous' one, but she's a fairy and we have plenty of them xD). I first want to develop them, to have them in stories. One of the gets in? (that would be a dream for me xD) Good, now you can consider it somehow official, but creating a character isn't a race for getting it wikified, but is a chance to develop some character making skills.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:21 pm

The way I see it... just stick by your character, write stories with him/her, and try to make that character appealing, with a firm backstory and such. A good, long story/series may prove to Karbo that this character isn't going to just die off or disappear. So yeah, stick by it, and if you're lucky, then you're lucky.

Also, shameless advertisement can't hurt. *cough* VoteZion'scharacterstothewiki! *cough cough* XD I kid, I kid.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:28 pm

outside help is good too, if you want an idea of how to flesh out your character don't be afraid to ask people. More often that not, I think people will say "It's you own character so I have no advice for you" but sometimes you get suggestions on types of fears and quirks, and as you flesh it out (not like I'm repeating myself or everyone here >.>*sarcasm*) then it will get noticed more. That is an important feature, popularity...
Back to top Go down
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:20 pm

I will throw my always insightful and ball-shatteringly awesome opinion into this thread and address an issue that has yet to be brought up, which is the jealousy factor.

So, lets say, Karbo decided to let a new character into the Wiki. This happens from time to time and is rather normal. Regretfully some people tend to see that new character addition and say “hey, why is MY character not in the Wiki! Is it not awesome enough, am I just not popular enough, DOES KARBO HATE ME!” every new character added that Karbo himself did not creator has the potential to make people rather jealous, and make them upset. I don’t think any of us here want this form to degenerate into a whining rant on how “my character didn’t get into the Wiki even though it is so awesome and stuff and Karbo is a butt face and hates me and is terrible and why does no one like my character that I just came up with five minutes ago” because that would be totally lame.

On the other side, if Karbo did let everyone’s character on the wiki it would soon become bloated with uninteresting and annoying characters, something I like to call the “Sonic the hedgehog factor”
Before long, there would be so many characters everywhere that you couldn’t even SEE Crisis anymore! So would be practically drowning in a sea of Mary/Gary sues that she cant eat her way out of cuz they all have some special power that renders them immune to vore or something. How can Crisis playful tease her prey when “shining knight sue” keeps on rescuing them and scolding Crisis for her human eating ways. How can Crisis mess with Anna’s stuff in a humorous fashion when “cute little innocent sue” keeps on forcing Crisis to join her on boring adventures no one cares about to save random people no knows about all to gain the power to do fight off some super powerful evil that no one has ever heard about. How can Crisis have ANY fun when she keeps on getting killed by “Naga killing sue” only to be resurrected in some convoluted way so she can go though the whole ordeal the next day. Next thing you know Crisis will start carrying a sword, turn into a wear-naga, and Anna will become her brooding dark side kick who carries a gun and swears all the time for no good reason.

The Wiki can be a powerful force for good, but it can be an unstable force of evil. If your character does not get into the Wiki, DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. In fact, do not bring it up. Karbo will put your character in when he feels like putting your character in, and right now I think he has a lot of good ones that he choose from. Be proud if your character gets in, but not boastful. And if your character is not in the Wiki yet, then that should just spurn you on to make them even MORE AWSOME a character.
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Zalzas, you just hit the nail in the head and you brought up a very interesting point: flowding the Wiki with characters isn't a good idea, since there isn't a quality control for them, you can't get anything, from awesome character to bad ones, and among them quite good and so-so chars. And yep: let's not forget the Mary Sues and Gary Stus.

I say it: if a character of mine isn't in the Wiki, it isn't like the world is going to end. After all, the goal of a character isn't being wikified, but evolving and becoming more interesting through stories, drawings and the like.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 2:46 am

zalzas : Amen to that brother lol!

Feadraug : I think your characters are definitely very interesting ! Your mute fairy is cute and your party of adventurers is very colorful and original Razz ( I especially love the cursed grumpy samurai and the fallen "god" XD)
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 2:55 am

unless karbo feels inspired by a character and thinks it would make a good edition i wouldnt want any characters showing up on the wiki, there are quite a few settings that nearly crush themselves under the weight of too many characters, the only one that seems to manage it well is touhou, and every character is still created by the sole guy who makes the games. in a world where some nagas can inhale hand grenades and be no worse for wear, the last thing it needs is more mary sues, if you feel you NEED to have your character recognized in the wiki, your hearts probably not in the right place anyway.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 4:49 am

Karbo wrote:
Feadraug : I think your characters are definitely very interesting ! Your mute fairy is cute and your party of adventurers is very colorful and original Razz ( I especially love the cursed grumpy samurai and the fallen "god" XD)

Thanks for the kind words, but such 'adventurers' aren't for Felarya, though, they're part of my webcomic. However, Kyria is 100% Felaryan. If one of them would be on the Wiki, that's her. But... who says I can't creat a Yaiba wannabe in Felarya, some kind of nasty survivor? *writes down the idea*

Still, Kyria needs more work. Laughing

lami wrote:
the only one that seems to manage it well is touhou, and every character is still created by the sole guy who makes the games

The Touhou Project is doujin and has its origins in one person, but ZUN - the creator -, as far as I know, hasn't let anything made by fans in yet, except for calling Hong Meiling 'China' or for calling Cirno an idiot. Not even yukkuris (fortunatelly). Still, I hate half of the Touhou games cast. xD
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 9:31 am

Yeah, I may be on a bit of a general character rant right now, but I don't want any Mary Sues in the wiki! I know that we should be respectful of all peoples ideas, but some characters, even if cool and badass, just don't fit into the Felaryan feeling.

That said, *cough*votegripandfenjaintothewiki *cough*, may Karbo always have the last word in this. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 9:37 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
That said, *cough*votegripandfenjaintothewiki *cough*, may Karbo always have the last word in this. Smile

Are you hinting something?
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 9:41 am

Me? No, of course not! I would never do something like that. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:42 am

First of all: WOW, i did not expect so many meople to rely to this.

Second of all: I am not in any way expecting my charecter to get into the wiki(i am hoping, but that's what any sane person would^^), i am merely asked what would, in Karbo's view, be the required elements.

Third of all: a LOT of you told me to write stories T_T;...those who did...READ THE DAMN FIRST POST(sorry for being little douchy here, but i think it's easy to see, since it's standing by itself, right in the middle)

And lastly: if you wanna see the stories... check my DA(link in profile) or the stories discussion thread(only topic started by me^^)
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

If many of us are talking about writing stories, it isn't because we think you won't write them - you're already on that -, but because we agree with you: writing stories help to develop characters. Well done stories will show features of your character that a bio won't show that well, that's something I knew from the very first time I created a character - in fact, if I'm right, I wrote the first story with my characters without even writing the bios yet.

Just keep working, man. And don't worry: we agree with you in the stories thing, that's all. Wink
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:58 am

well taht's easy for you i guess, you're pretty awesome at writing (my opinion), characters and stories(i suck at writing in general^^')
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for the kind works, but believe me, it's not something that magically appears from nowhere. There's a secret for it: practice and feedback.

Sometimes, if you have some difficulties with a story, try to read some novels or other people's stories. They can help you iin figuring out the structure and the pace you want and then write your story. Review your story a couple of times before submitting it, because you may find some mistakes, typos and all - this happens specially if English isn't your first language, like me... I have to reread my stories several times before they get an OK.

And then, wait for the people's opinions. They can give you many useful tips for character development and story writing. And trust me: they work.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 11:31 am

Feadraug wrote:
And then, wait for the people's opinions. They can give you many useful tips for character development and story writing. And trust me: they work.
well i'm not very well know, so i don't get alot of feedback, on the stories that i've made so far^^'
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Then, self-promote yourself a bit more, just don't abuse - spamming is BAD. If you let people know that you exist, they may check it out and then some will stay, some will leave... but at least you'll try.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm against advertising for ANYTHING. I think advertisments are a pain, so i don't feel very good about doing it myself ^^'
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 8:54 pm

If you have trouble creating characters, take this bit of advice I came up with that's always done me well: avoid cookie-cutter characters, but don't make it obvious you're being anti-cliche. Because that's just as cliche. Find a middle ground: characters that aren't Mary Sues, but aren't totally out-there.

I've been told before that I make good characters. I personally think my plotlines could be a little better, but I will (not-so-humbly) admit that I think I'm a good character writer. Whether others agree, meh, I'm not always sure.

And on the topic of self-advertisement... well, I don't really spam. If I can fit in a quick ad for Zion or the Jurdeans (like here), then I will. Plus, there's a link to my DA in my sig. But I don't go spamming... though some people might say I border on it. XD Hey, if anything, I'm persistent. I don't really think it bothers people much (and if it does, please tell me), so I don't really feel bad about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: requirements for char(s) on wiki?   requirements for char(s) on wiki? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

requirements for char(s) on wiki?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next