Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

On species', for the most part...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

On species', for the most part... Empty
PostSubject: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Asterisks (*) that mark information...information is found at the bottom of the post.

Based on what I've read in the wiki, as well as on here, I've figured out the obvious, that you can pretty much get any sort of creature from any sort of...how do I put this...Minshara-class world* (please, forgive my use of a Star Trek term, but it's about the only way I can figure out to explain myself without retyping the long explanation each time)...and thus any sort of your typical humanoid life forms, or life forms that come from such an environment are possible. I've noticed creatures, mostly in the local fauna, that have the ability to exist on what seem to be different planes/dimensions. And finally, I've in particular read about the faerie size-shifting ability inherent to the species.

What I haven't discovered yet...and this may be through my own inattentiveness...are creatures that are inherent shape-shifters. I have noticed creatures that have the ability to...phase?...between different dimensions or planes at relative will, I think (I may be crazy), as well.

This entire ramble I've been writing mostly boils down to the question of whether or not a kitsune-kami character would be too over-powered for logical use in Felarya. For those unfamiliar with kitsune, the short version is that they are creatures out of Japanese folk-lore, reputed to be able to shape-shift, change between spirit forms and manifestations at will, possess others, possess a degree of pyrokinesis, create miniature pocket-dimensions of a sort, and some other things I've probably forgotten. (I have a more comprehensive write-up on what information I've gathered around the net and in the Kitsune book, and I'll post it in my next post to keep things straight)

Logically, such a mythological creature could find its way to Felarya rather easily, but what I'm wondering is if I should just stay away from the concept since the character really would be relatively impossible to deal with, since they're not really alive in the first place, being spirits. I suppose they could be dealt with via certain magics, but really...I'm not sure if they'd be an okay race to have floating around Felarya. I mean, they could simply switch to spirit form and float right out of the belly of a predator, or change shape to anything naturally occurring and since mass differences has never been noted as an issue...they could probably shape-shift themselves to something nasty and EAT one of the predators themselves, which would be altogether unfair, in my opinion. Of course they'd be limited based on age, experience, power, etc....but still kind of iffy.

I do apologize if I'm apparently uncollected in my thoughts...my mind is kind of shot at the moment.

This basically boils down to this question:

Can a kitsune-kami be used for a character here?

* - Minshara Class (from Memory Alpha)
[i]In planetary classification, a class M planet or planetoid was characterized by an abundance of surface water and an atmosphere high in nitrogen, with oxygen and trace elements. M-class planets were also termed Minshara class by Vulcans during the mid-22nd century. Life was often abundant on class M planets; they contained extensive vegetation, animal life, and often had native humanoids.
Back to top Go down
http://tara-willow.deviantart.com
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:12 pm

(some of this may seem SLIGHTLY presumptuous, as I originally wrote in a format desirable for a role-play, but 99% of the information is what I've found through my own research)

..:: //Kitsune Lore & Info\\ ::..

Overview
The creature known as a 'Kitsune-Kami' or simply 'Kitsune' is an ancient and powerful fox spirit from the lore and mythology of many places, most prominently Japan. They are powerfully magical, and said to live up to and possibly past one thousand years. Kitsune can have up to nine tails, and these are gained through time, and also from the deeds they do. To the Kitsune, the number of tails they have accumulated signifies prestige, skill, age, and rank. A Kitsune may gain a tail by doing a great deed, and bringing honour to their family and clan, or could lose one for breaking Kitsune law. The Myobu are generally more honourable than the Nogitsune, since the Nogitsune are not bound by the oaths to Inari, and are very capable of harassing and even killing others, whereas the Myobu are not supposed to. Their magic includes illusionary magic, seduction, kitsune-bi (fox-fire), possession, and shape shifting. They always carry with them a white ball known as a Kitsune Ball which is believed to contain a portion of their power or even their soul. Kitsune are also vampiric in nature, not in that they suck the blood of others, but that they feed off the energies of the land, as well as the energies of other living things.

There are thirteen elements represented by the Kitsune, and they are; Heaven, Void, Wind, Spirit, Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, and Sound. Sound and Time Kitsune are more rare than any others. Heaven and Void are the most common.

Myobu vs. Nogitsune
The Kitsune of Japan are tied very closely to Inari (the Shinto Fortune of Foxes and Rice). Inari is kind of like a god to the Kitsune, the only to the Myobu, since the Nogitsune are not sworn to the service of Inari. Kitsune themselves are merely spirits, not deities. However, because of their nature, it is nearly inevitable that be given praise, and even occasionally have shrines built to them. Although it is still possible for the Myobu to bring about mischief, it is generally the Nogitsune that are causing the problems and pulling the 'trickster fox' act.

Myobu - Celestial fox. One of the 'good' and 'honourable' Kitsune sworn into the service of Inari by the ten oaths. They are capable of trouble-causing, but in general they don't partake in such activities. The Myobu are more helpful than the Nogitsune.

Nogitsune - Wild Fox. (lit. translation = 'field fox.') Nogitsune are not sworn into the service of Inari, and therefore not bound by the ten oaths. They are very capable of evil, and are generally much less helpful and far more mischief than the Myobu.

Note - Both the Nogitsune and the Myobu are capable of changing alignments. Nogitsune may become Myobu by swearing the ten oaths in front of a council of Myobu in an Inari temple. Myobu may become Nogitsune by either leaving or being cast out of the Myobu order.

Kitsune Tails
Kitsune have up to nine tails, and these tails are gained through time, as well as through the deeds they do, and experience and skills accumulated. To the Kitsune, the number of tails that one has accumulated is directly linked to and signifies prestige, skill, age, rank, experience, deeds, and the like. A Kitsune may gain a tail by doing a great and honourable deed which will bring honour to their family or clan and to the Kitsune in general. They may also lose a tail by breaking Kitsune law with treacherous and evil deeds. It is said that losing a tail is a painful experience. Also, the Myobu are generally more honourable than the Nogitsune, as the Myobu are bound by their oaths to Inari, whereas the Nogitsune are not. The Nogitsune are very capable of things such as harassing and even killing others, as well as a certain amount of treachery to Kitsune kind. The Myobu are only supposed to kill in self-defence, and even that is frowned upon. More often than not, if something wrong is done to the Myobu, they will merely play pranks on the offender, rather than killing them. Sometimes they even overlook said events. If one of the Myobu commits a crime foul enough, they will be either cast out to the Nogitsune order, possibly lose a tail as well, or even be put to death.

Kitsune Magic

Illusion Magic
Their Illusionary magic creates illusions or mirages like many spells do, but with a difference; a Kitsune's illusions become reality for all intents and purposes, and they are capable of creating anything, to a certain extent. For example, one Kitsune's power may be capable of creating a small village, but several together would be capable of creating an entire city. The only beings capable of seeing through a Kitsune's illusion are monks, priestesses, and other clerics. When they touch a Kitsune's illusion, it dissolves and vanishes, which is very traumatic and mentally detrimental for a Kitsune, since because their illusions become reality, they ARE reality for the fox-spirit. It would be like having your house vanish and discovering that it wasn't even really there in the first place. What do you think that would do to your perception of the world?

Kitsune Realms

Another part of a Kitsune's magic is the creation of the Kitsune's domains. Kitsune are capable of making small pockets in reality, folding time and space to suit their needs. They can turn a hole under a floorboard into an estate, or a small field into an entire kingdom complete with animals, people, and weather. They can turn a picture on the page of a book into a castle or a small estate. Size is relative, as one obviously couldn't turn a mouse hole into a planet, or something along those lines, but you get the picture. Also, time seems to flow faster within these realms; for every day in the real world, as many as seven years can pass in the realm, for those within it.

Seduction Magic
Their seduction magic is a form of mind-control, ranging from mild to strong depending on the will of the creature being possessed, and the strength and experience of the Kitsune in control. They can do simple things to almost anyone, such as making themselves seem very sexually alluring, and thus attracting the unwary and ignorant. Like stated before, the only creatures capable of seeing through these illusions are monks, priestesses, and other kinds of clerics.

Kitsune-bi (fox-fire, aka fox lanterns)
The Kitsune-bi magic is otherwise known as 'Fox-fire.' They are also sometimes referred to as 'Fox lanterns.' It can be used by the kitsune for any purpose, from lighting a path, to a toy, to a weapon. The kitsune-bi are completely free floating, and can move by their own will sometimes, or by the will of the kitsune. They only move of their own will if they are left unattended and unanchored, at which point they are likely to do something like bob or dance around their creator, or other things, depending on the mood of the creator. The Kitsune-bi can be made to any colour, or numerous colours together. Size depends on strength, and as with the illusions, the more kitsune, the more intricate or large the fire can become. The Kitsune are capable of anchoring their fox lanterns to basically any surface, at which point the light will not move unless the Kitsune who anchored it removes it. If not anchored, the lanterns will drift along behind the creator, or drift aimlessly.

A Kitsune-bi is created by the Kitsune rubbing its tails together, or rubbing a tail against a paw. The energy created takes the form of fire, the Kitsune-bi. More than one can be created by a single Kitsune, and the amount depends on its power.

Possession
Often times, being the trickster foxes that they are, the Kitsune will possess another creature instead of using their own energy to shift to their own form. Possession is generally not a long term plan, as eventually, the target would begin to fight back. Permission of the target is usually required, as otherwise the Kitsune risks harming the target, either draining their will completely, or driving them insane. When the target is possessed, even with permission, their will is completely taken over. Usually, no memories are left of the experience after the Kitsune leaves once more, but that decision belongs to the possessing Kitsune. However, sometimes they accidentally leave fragments of memories behind anyways.

When a Kitsune possesses another, it doesn't seem to retain most of its natural abilities, as with the taking of a mortal body, in essence it makes the Kitsune almost mortal temporarily. The shape shifting abilities wouldn't be as strong or easily used, and the creature possessed, if humanoid and bipedal, would most likely take on several traits of the Kitsune, such as fox ears, or a fox tail, amoung other things. Their eyes also tend to have a slightly different look, one that is hard to explain. Blank, in a way, but in a way, not. It is the look of one's soul being drawn out of one's eyes.

Also, when a Kitsune possesses someone, it still has its Kitsune Ball with it.

Kitsune are also capable or possessing dead bodies, as well as possessing an unborn child. However, these measures are usually for more long-term uses, and the powers of the Kitsune in these forms are greater than they would be through the possession of a living, aware creature. This is known as the taking of an Avatar.

Shape Shifting Magic
Kitsune are born shape shifters. They also easily shift between corporeal, and non-corporeal forms. They are capable of transforming into anything that appears naturally in nature. This includes any living creature, and certain inanimate objects, such as stones, water, wind, ice, electricity, etc. However, they may not change into anything that is 'man-made.' so to speak. No vehicles or buildings or things like that. Also, what they transform into, they have control over the features of it. For example, if they wanted to change hair colour or skin tone of a human, it is perfectly within their capabilities. If they wanted to give a human form the wings of bird, they are also capable of such. When they transform into inanimate objects, such as stone, they can do things such as shape the stone into a statue or particular form. With trees and plants, the features are for the most part interchangeable as well.

Kitsune can be killed in their transformed shapes. For example, if one were to smash a stone, which is a transformed Kitsune, with a hammer... Just imagine the results. Or setting fire to a tree that a Kitsune has transformed into. Although, in that case, setting fire to a transformed Kitsune is a good way to get them to change back to their true form as well.
Back to top Go down
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Kitsune's Ball
All Kitsune carry with them a white ball, varying in size, that they use exactly like a child's ball. This is known as the Kitsune's Ball. They can often be seen playing with it. It is believed that a portion of their soul or a portion of their power is held within this ball. If one can take away this ball from the Kitsune, and successfully keep it away from them, the Kitsune is in the power of whoever possesses the ball, and is forced to do their bidding. They can rebel, but generally don't due to the possibility of the ball being destroyed. When a Kitsune either transforms or possesses another creature, the ball is somehow incorporated into the disguise, or just carried along with them. In spirit form or true form, the ball can be levitated to float around and follow the Kitsune, even though it does sometimes take on a will of its own. Sometimes the Kitsune will stash the ball in some secret hiding place, but since they are so protective and afraid of losing it, this is very uncommon. They almost always have the white ball with them.

Vampirism and Feeding Methods
Also, in a particular manner, Kitsune are vampires. There are reasons Kitsune are vampires, and it has absolutely nothing to do with our modern interpretation of the blood-sucking night-stalker, or the recent increase in the 'gothic' movement. More often than not, however, the Nogitsune are the ones feeding from the land and its living creatures. The Myobu are, for the most part, sustained by the offerings and gifts made to Inari, either at a temple or shrine, or elsewhere.

It would be more accurate to compare the vampiric nature of the Kitsune to the vampiric nature of the European Incubi and Succubi. Like them, the Kitsune feed off energies, auras, and sometimes even souls, rather than from drinking the blood of others. Though, some do develop a taste for blood. Also, like the Incubi and Succubi, the Kitsune are notorious for their seduction techniques, and their tendency to feed off the energy of a partner during sexual intercourse. But they are also capable of feeding off normal everyday energies that are given off by living things.

Since the Kitsune are spirits, they also have a direct link to the land, more specifically to the element which they are attuned to. And as such, the more time that a Kitsune spends in a particular area, the more prominent and noticeable that element becomes, though in a negative way. When a Kitsune manifests to a physical form, it also has some negative effect on the environment.

As well, the gifts that are placed at shrines or even left out in the open for spirits, are a way of giving strength and spirit power to the spirits, or Kami, that reside within the area, and as such, the negative effects on the environment from the spirit hanging around are lessened.

Kitsune have been known to feed from many different things, including words, knowledge, writing, music, the land, and the people around them. The most favoured way is through sexual intercourse, though often once a Kitsune has taken a partner, the partner begins to waste away, and a priest is needed to sever the link between the Kitsune and the victim. Through continued feeding, the victim can become severely ill, or even die from the result of the lost energy and life force. Kitsune also prefer willing partners, as the more willing the partner, the less negative effect they will have. It has also been mentioned in the lore surrounding the Kitsune that when a Nogitsune feeds from a mortal whom they do not wish to harm, they will tell their partner what is needed stem the pleasure/pain, as a payment for the service the victim provides. The reason behind this action is that the effects of a Kitsune's feeding do not always go away after the Kitsune has finished. The treatment was listed as soba, or decocted buckwheat.

A note - Kitsune who have mortal bodies don't have as detrimental of an effect on their partners as Kitsune who have manifested physically through their own power.

The Elements
The Kitsune are ordered into thirteen different types, each representing one of the following elements; Heaven, Void, Wind, Spirit, Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, and Sound. The Kitsune of any particular element, except for Time and Sound, generally share certain qualities and traits with Kitsune of the same element. Time and Sound Kitsune are slightly less defined, and rarer than the rest. They are almost considered anomalies, though have managed to keep their position as independent elements. They are, however, incredibly rare, and very powerful.

Miscellaneous Information
- As far as nature goes, Kitsune are born tricksters and nuisances that never really had anything better to do than cause trouble and problems for anyone that ran across them. In more recent times, it's more the Nogitsune than the Myobu that are causing the most mischief, but that doesn't mean that the Myobu aren't still capable of it. They partake with as much glee as their Nogitsune siblings, when they can get away with it, that is. Harassing others anywhere near the Inari temples is generally a one-way ticket out.

- Kitsune never reveal their true names to anyone, even each other, for the most part. Knowing the true name of a spirit, such as a Kitsune, is a way to control and command it. Kitsune will only reveal their true names to someone they trust absolutely, or as a guarantee in a deal where nothing else will work. Otherwise, Kitsune tend to take on any name that will suit or fit the purpose of their exploits. Sometimes, they even take on names as jokes as well, knowing full well what kind of ridiculous impact they will have once discovered. It's part of their nature as tricksters. Also, when the name they take is off-hand or for no particular purpose, a "street-name," so to speak, then it is often a part of their true name, and even occasionally an anagram of their true name.

- Kitsune are spirits, and so they may be controlled and/or manipulated as such through various means. However, the stronger the Kitsune, the more dangerous it is to attempt to control it without the knowledge of its true name.

- Kitsune can be incredibly social creatures. As far as the Myobu go, they are basically always found living together in families or clans, or even with the bands that they occasionally form. Amongst the Nogitsune, one is far less likely to find a grouping, unless it is a very close-knit family. It is considered incredibly rare amoung the Myobu Kitsune to find a loner who refuses to join a clan or band and settle down. It isn't completely unheard of, as there have been a few, but is very rare.

Key Kitsune Terms
Akomachi – This is the name of the original female Kitsune who sought shelter from Inari. In exchange, she swore ten oaths of servitude, becoming one of the first Myobu. She is the mate of Osusuki.

Azuki-meshi - Rice boiled with red beans. Said to be the favourite food of foxes.

Byako - A white fox.

Fox-Magic - The abilities and powers of magic possessed by a Kitsune.

Genko - A black fox.

Hengeyoukai - Shape shifter.

Inari - The Shinto Fortune of both foxes and rice. A god to the Kitsune. The Myobu are bound by ten oaths into the servitude of Inari, but the Nogitsune are wild, and have no such limits.

Kami - Spirits.

Kitsune - Fox. The standard term for a spirit fox.

Kitsune-bi - Fox-fire. Also commonly know as "fox-lanterns," and also as "spirit-lights" in some lore. Small globes of free-floating fire created when a Kitsune rubs its tails together, or a tail against its paw. Controlled completely by the Kitsune, and used for anything from a toy to a weapon.

Kitsune Realm - A pocket dimension, or fold in reality, created by a Kitsune to serve as an alternate world within the physical pain. Can be created nearly anywhere, and within is mostly controlled by the Kitsune. Time moves faster in these realms for those within, and as many as seven years can pass for every day spent within a Kitsune realm. It depends on the size, craftsmanship, and skill of the Kitsune that created it.

Kiko - Another term for a spirit Kitsune.

Koryo - Another term for a spirit Kitsune.

Kuko - Another term for a wind or air Kitsune.

Miko - Shinto shrine-maiden. Trained as a priestess.

Myobu - Celestial fox. One of the 'good' and 'honourable' Kitsune sworn into the service of Inari by the ten oaths. They are capable of trouble-causing, but in general they don't partake in such activities. The Myobu are more helpful than the Nogitsune.

Nogitsune - Wild Fox. (lit. translation = 'field fox.') Nogitsune are not sworn into the service of Inari, and therefore not bound by the ten oaths. They are very capable of evil, and are generally much less helpful and far more mischief than the Myobu.

Okiyome - A technique or practice of monks and priests. A kind of "purifying ray" from the hands often used to banish or "kill" spirits.

Osusuki - The name of the original male Kitsune who sought shelter from Inari, and in exchange swore ten oaths of servitude, becoming one of the first Myobu. Mate of Akomachi.

Reiko - Another term for a void Kitsune.

Sake - Rice wine. Comes in plenty of flavors, plum being one of the most tasty.

Soba - Decocted buckwheat. Used by mortals to stem the pleasure/pain that arises after having sexual intercourse with a spirit, particularly one of the Kitsune.

Tanuki - A type of animal kami that is connected to the elements of forest and river.

Tengu - A type of animal kami that is connected to the elements of mountain, thunder, and heaven.

Tenko - Another term for a heaven Kitsune.

The Lady - Either a ten-tailed Kitsune, or a one thousand-tailed Kitsune. No one really knows for sure, so either could be correct. There are no other Kitsune with more than nine tails, so she is unique. She is the mother of the Kitsune race, and all serve her in one way or another.

Youko - Spirit fox. An uncommon term.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Well there is a thread that deals with kitsune here. Daejien came up with a version that seemed a little too overpowered, I tried to help tone down what he had. Idea never really caught on in that form.
Back to top Go down
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Ah, I see. I hadn't noticed that thread before, though I may not have dug deep enough or looked in the right place.

It does look like a very general vague idea of them from what I understand of them...though bits and pieces of it seem genuinely made up. Probably to suit them more as a Felaryan species more than anything else, am I correct?

My main issue with that writeup is the lack of acknowledgment that the creatures are actually spirits by nature. Other than that, it looks pretty cool to me.

Kitsune are one of my favourite interests, and thus with how ingrained what I know of them is versus that, I probably wouldn't be able to properly play a character based on guidelines I'd have to cross-reference every time I did something. So, I most likely will simply not play such a character or write one on these boards. It would probably end up stepping on someone's toes. Wink Best to avoid such a situation in my opinion. But we'll see. If I ever do such a thing, I'd probably just feel more comfortable hashing out the details of race with whoever I was roleplaying with.

Thanks for showing me that, though. ^^
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 am

T'Lira wrote:
please, forgive my use of a Star Trek term

Forgive? What's wrong with using a Trek term?
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:57 am

vegeta002 wrote:
T'Lira wrote:
please, forgive my use of a Star Trek term

Forgive? What's wrong with using a Trek term?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it in my mind, I was just unsure of whether or not there was a crowd about this place that found it acceptable. Most people (well, most people before that new movie came out) don't like it.

You enjoy Star Trek? Very Happy Which series?
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 9:14 am

All of them, including Enterprise and most of Voyager. Mostly Next Generation and Deep Space 9.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:39 pm

As they are here, they seems indeed a bit too powerful, with numerous formidable abilities ^^;

Nonetheless this is a very detailled description, really interesting to read ! Great work Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:45 pm

@ Vegeta002: Enterprise and Voyager are my favourites. I like TNG, but DS9 I have not seen a lot of. TOS is somewhere in the middle. ^^ Ooh, I wonder how well a vulcan would do around here. XD Maybe a giant vulcan!

@ Karbo: Well, yes, I did assume as much. Though I suppose if you couldn't kill them, they'd make great pets for the predators...they could eat them repeatedly. XD Thanks. Perhaps I'll rewrite it and make them less problematic for the preds.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 pm

T'Lira wrote:
Ooh, I wonder how well a vulcan would do around here. XD Maybe a giant vulcan!

Felarya is so illogical, it would drive a Vulcan mad.
Back to top Go down
T'Lira
Helpless prey
T'Lira

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Mmmm...we'll dump T'Pol in there when she's high on Trellium-D and busy going nuts. That ought to be entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On species', for the most part...   On species', for the most part... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On species', for the most part...
Page 1 of 1