Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation

Go down 
+18
Rezec
TheLightLost
Shady Knight
rcs619
CauldronBorn24
luke112
ravaging vixen
Militant-Prey
/Fish/
FalconJudge
gtslover100
French snack
Jætte_Troll
Oldman40k2003
observer88
Malahite
Archmage_Bael
Anime-Junkie
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 am

I always imagined the sub-species of humans would essentially be humans from other worlds with different cultures and ethics and such. I'm not so sure if making "sub-species" with a different physical quirk, and possibly drastically different capabilities, will feel as human as those we're already familiar with. Just sayin.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:03 am

gt500x wrote:

Since most have probably never heard of them, I suppose I could mention the Torinian humans from my story. They've undergone some changes and probably could be considered a sub-species, not a whole new species just yet. They have some physical differences like avian eyes, a lighter bone structure, are more oxygen efficient, and even grow plummage (mostly mixed in the hair). The physical abilities that seperate them from typical humans... well, they possess extraordinary eyesight and might be a bit swifter due to their lighter bones.

Maybe this is enough to qualify them as a sub-species. I hadn't thought about it that way until now.
The idea is that it's still possible for these variant humans to breed with normal humans OR with other variants who can breed with normal humans.
Now, your "Torinian humans." The only part that I can think that would make their genetics different enough to make them incompatible is the feathers in their hair. (Wouldn't that be painful?). I don't see any reason for the other aspects to prevent interbreeding.
Quote :
always imagined the sub-species of humans would essentially be humans from other worlds with different cultures and ethics and such. I'm not so sure if making "sub-species" with a different physical quirk, and possibly drastically different capabilities, will feel as human as those we're already familiar with. Just sayin.
That's not a subspecies, that's just a different culture and ethics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:37 am

Well, I was just saying, and it may be too rigid, but when a human has something drastically different, like having feathers for hair for example, it ceases being a human to me and becomes something else.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Rezec
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Rezec

PostSubject: Just askin'   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 am

Could one of the human's breed, which had several thousands years of forced DNA manipulation and some random mutation (bad ecology) misleadingly call themselves "another race" or... sorta?

(Important point - they have got physical changes. Lot of them. For example, 2 pairs of eyelids (vertical and horizontal), longer and stronger hands, and ect)
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:13 am

Possibly Rezec. As I said before, if they can breed with normal humans or breed with a sub-species that can breed with normal humans.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Rezec
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Rezec

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Possibly Rezec. As I said before, if they can breed with normal humans or breed with a sub-species that can breed with normal humans.

Thanks. That make some details clear for me)
Back to top Go down
Solomon
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:47 pm

I got an idea for a new race for Felarya if anyone would like to know what they are I will gladly let you all know
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 5:27 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Felarya vs. the Planet of the Nazis? Sounds like the best B-Movie ever.
Jætte_Troll wrote:
Hey, the Nazis were into the occult. Wonder how WWII would have turned out if they used portals to Felarya as weapons... Shocked
Do you have any idea what this kind of thinking could lead to?!?!

Naga Woman of the SS, that's what!
Back to top Go down
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 8:52 am

ravaging vixen wrote:
Militant-Prey wrote:
This is more sci-fi, but I imagine some variation and mutation would be driven by purposive enhancement by either genetic manipulation or cybernetic augmentation.

That's not mutation. that's self evolution.

Sorry if I´m awakening some older Theme - but this is just great! She´s right! For Example - in one of my own RPGs, Bluetopia, there is a Waterworld colonized by especially for this Purpose redesigned People. The Planet, called TUVALU II, is originally colonized by Polynesians - and they are genetically altered this Way: They have a Hang for the Oceans - they are somewhat good at Swimming and Diving, an Earthling can only dream of. So they have  special transparent Lenses, that moves over the Eyes when they are going to dive, so that they are able to see under Water quite well. Then they have an extremely rugged Collagene Tissue to withstand great Depth Pressures. To endure the long Exodus from Earth to Tuvalu II (which lasted at least nearly 6 Generations in Hibernation) they had been given a simplified Metabolism and an elastic inner Layout that was nearly symmetrical - to make `medicinal Maintenance´ as easy as possible. So the Tuvalesians are really rugged and reliable - but not especially strong or extraordinarily fast in Reflexes - if they don´t train themselves that Way, of Course. Brown Skin and dark Eyes are also good for Space Travel because they minimize the Risk of Cancer due to Space Radiation - but this was a welcoming Benefit and not primarily planned that Way - because the most Polynesians are brown skinned anyway. And in this Case all that was been accomplished through retrogenetic Technology - so their Children will be the same. This is called `artificially enhanced DNA-Alteration (AEDA or Luthién-II-Bodytuning)´, not Mutation.
Mutations normally do happen by Accident - so they can have an Effect, that is to be welcomed - but mostly they are not so needful - like three Arms, five Butts, Skin like a Toad - or a Spare Head.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 am

I forgot, is this forum one that discourages or is ambivalent to necroing threads? I personally don't mind because I consider it better to necro a relevant thread than create a redundant duplicate, but I know most disagree.

On topic, my view of "alternate humans" is that there are two possibilities: either it's a parallel universe wherein plain old humans from Earth evolved from primordial apes and proceeded to colonize the universe (and possibly forget about having done so afterwards), or it's a miracle of convergent evolution wherein the universe is simply so big and full of life that something indistinguishable from humans evolved in multiple places.
In the first case, I note that dwarves are real. Here on Earth, a genetic condition exists called Dwarfism, which causes short limbs and a stocky, dwarflike body. Most people call those with this trait "midgets" or "little people" but the technical term, given that the trait is called dwarfism, is clearly dwarf. So on Earth, dwarves are humans, albeit a special variety of them (not dissimilar to the various races). If we go out into space and proceed to colonize other worlds and diversify, inevitably we'll evolve into a range of races that are all technically human, but may vary to significant degrees. We should only start calling them other species if they diversify to the point that they can no longer breed with humans.
In the second case, there's no reason not to also end up with a lot of "humans with bumpy heads" as in Star Trek, and the distinction between what is "human" versus "humanoid" is arbitrary, rather like the distinction between a planet and a dwarf planet.
So long story short, I see no reason there shouldn't be significant variety in the peoples of Felarya that all call themselves "humans", even to the degree that Negav has a thriving civilization full of dwarves, giants, cyclopes, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
I forgot, is this forum one that discourages or is ambivalent to necroing threads? I personally don't mind because I consider it better to necro a relevant thread than create a redundant duplicate, but I know most disagree.

When it's for constructive new contributions, it can be permissible.

Carry on, and enjoy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 pm

There are much other forms of humans - like the flores-hobbits. They must have looked like ordinary humans - but were perhaps 106 cm tall. And to hear from another guy about convergent evolution is like a lotto strike. I'm not the only mad scientist!

You totally rock!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2