Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Go down 
+9
AisuKaiko
Jætte_Troll
Archmage_Bael
ZionAtriedes
Prof.Nekko
Pendragon
rcs619
Malahite
Reptillian
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:49 am

i just watched avatar yesterday and it was epic. totally worth seeing.

but it did remind me alot of felarya, to be honest T_T'
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:49 am

From what I've heard from reviewers and those who've seen it live:

Pros:
+ Visuals are amazing.
+ Sound effects, if recycled from Jurassic Park at times, were still decent
+ "Immersive" World

Cons:
+ Two-dimensional plot
+ One-dimensional villain
+ The noble savage stuff is laid on you, hard
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 10:17 am

Malahite wrote:
From what I've heard from reviewers and those who've seen it live:

Pros:
+ Visuals are amazing.
+ Sound effects, if recycled from Jurassic Park at times, were still decent
+ "Immersive" World

Cons:
+ Two-dimensional plot
+ One-dimensional villain
+ The noble savage stuff is laid on you, hard

To be fair, the execution of the movie more than makes up for the cons. It puts its own spin on an old sub-genre of the adventure story, and does it really well. I loved the cast, especially Sigourney Weaver as the grumpy, serious lead scientist.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 1:07 pm

I didn't see it, but I'm a bit unsure about whether I should see it.

It seems like yet another "robots and machines are evil, nature is good, donate to Peta blah blah blah" hippie movies.

And if any of you know me, I hate those plots. ._.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Pendragon wrote:

It seems like yet another "robots and machines are evil, nature is good, donate to Peta blah blah blah" hippie movies.

i would relate it more to something like an army trying to conquer Felarya for profit... you wouldn't want that to happen, now would you?
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm still hung up on the unobtainium thing...
Seriously? You couldn't think of a better name?
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Reptillian wrote:
Pendragon wrote:

i would relate it more to something like an army trying to conquer Felarya for profit... you wouldn't want that to happen, now would you?

Well, I wouldn't want that to happen, but the movie doesn't seem like that to me. :/

Kinda wish they could make another plot that didn't feel like this one.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Pendragon wrote:

Oh, it's that plot. It lays the Noble Savage bit on you hard. It also declines to mention in the movie that the thing the humans want is what allows FTL communication, near-FTL travel, and works as a room-temperature super-conductor.

Basically, it's an item that if it appeared on Earth would have scientists clawing over their dead comrades to get their hands on a sample of it.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Reptillian wrote:
Pendragon wrote:

No, no, of course not, of course not... *shifty glances* Who would want the Elder Race of Man to finally conquer the one world that continually belittles it and for the Elder Race to finally bring the Light of Civilization to the heartless jungles...? I definitely don't want that. (Awesomeness points for anyone who can figure out where I gleaned "Elder Race of Man" from!)

Yeah, the CG looked awesome, but it seemed to be one of those "humans are evil and we kill things and stuffs" things. Screw that shit. I love how the proponents of that attitude also support paying for jobless and lazy scum that serve only to leech resources from our society. But then they proclaim they love evolutionary theory and venerate Darwin. Ha! As if they knew what Darwinism was! I mean, honestly... believe whatever you will, I won't fault anyone for that (except Scientologists and Pastafarians, not to be confused with Rastafarians), but get your damn facts straight.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 5:30 pm

i thought the floating mountains were pretty cool. and an idea similar to that of what i had already...

those "banshee" rainbow dragon things were pretty cool as well, and the battle at the end was great because the execution of the movie actually had you rooting for the na'vi (zelda fan anyone?)

i highly recommend this movie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
i thought the floating mountains were pretty cool. and an idea similar to that of what i had already...

those "banshee" rainbow dragon things were pretty cool as well, and the battle at the end was great because the execution of the movie actually had you rooting for the na'vi (zelda fan anyone?)

i highly recommend this movie Very Happy

Well, normally I would root for them, but the movie was so intent on making humans look like assholes that they had the entire planet just come up and kill the humans. :/

Really, having the whole planet attack the humans was just a supreme asspull. Might as well have god come down and smite all the mechs and say "you're wrong, now go die."

Again, the CG looks impressive, but the plot is paper thin.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 7:34 pm

actually, the fight was pretty even.

but yeah, they made the humans seem like assholes, and racist too. that i thought was messed up. then again apparently they were actually mercenaries, not the actual army.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
actually, the fight was pretty even.

but yeah, they made the humans seem like assholes, and racist too. that i thought was messed up. then again apparently they were actually mercenaries, not the actual army.

Mercenaries working for a huge, soulless corporation.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 pm

indeed.

i think they could have done better with the name "unobtainium" though :?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
indeed.

i think they could have done better with the name "unobtainium" though :?

Look at where they gotta go to get that rock. Including "unobtainable" in the name makes sense to me. Pandora certainly isn't a nice place.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 11:37 pm

yeah, i agree with you, it is very difficult to obtain.

but couldn't they at least find a synonym, mix around the letters and then put the letters "ium" on the end? i mean it sounds like they didn't even try.

but im not gonna criticize 10 years of work, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a brilliant movie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 6:06 am

I think some of you missed the joke in the material's name.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 11:16 pm

*raises hand* I caught it.

Ohh, so now it's all about soulless corporations, too! I smell an agenda here. Anyone else? Then again, if that show on ABC, "V", can have such an obvious agenda with an the opposing spin...
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 1:33 am

I very much enjoyed the first two-thirds or so of it. It was an enjoyable and interesting piece of science-fiction, with cool concepts. However, I felt the ending was rather flat and tried to ram "humans and corporations are all evil" down your throat. This was made more apparent by the fact the movie had the most boring villains I have ever seen. They seem to have little motivation or explanation for their characters, besides the stereotypes thrust onto them. If there had been some way to connect with them, it would have given the movie more meaning.

On another note, I very much enjoyed Sigourney Weaver's performance as the head scientist. I found her a far more interesting character than the main hero, though he had his moments.

Though, the ending had more than a few problems for me, as mentioned.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Spoiler:
To quote what has been said elsewhere:
Spoiler:
Unobtanium is a material that, if it appeared on Earth right now, would have scientists brutally murdering and climbing over their dead comrades to get their hands on a sample. Read the above spoilers to see all the good it could do. And you know what? Cameron finds a way to turn the search for that by a desperate humanity into "Humans are evil mustache twirlers, we're going to kill us some Blue Injuns and get rich at the same time!"
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:22 am

Ah, Avatar, I loved the special effects, really fun. However, some things bugged me.

-When I heard 'Unobtainium', I physically facepalmed... Just knowing what the term means in the real world, hearing it used as the name of the material bothers me. The Core is guilty too, but at least they made it clear there that it was a nickname for a metal with an especially tedious name (Not saying this isn't the case with material in Avatar).
-The air isn't breathable, so there mustn't be a usable supply of oxygen... yet fire burns just it does on Earth. Perhaps there's just a poison in the air, or I missed a line explaining it.
-It's really a stock plot.
Spoiler:
Also a very obvious environmental overtone. At times, it felt like Ferngully with guns.
-The villians must've been the biggest, most politically incorrect assholes on Earth. Don't know about this time of this movie, but nowadays, calling a less-advanced race 'savages' would be extremely bad press. <badpoliticaljokethatisnottobetakenforsrs>Must've been funded by a Republican president.</badpoliticaljokethatisnottobetakenforsrs>

But anyway, the CGI makes up for the rather weak story. I'd watch it again!
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 am

So would you suggest it to a sci-fi fan?
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 12:44 pm

I would, especially special-effect nerds. Anyone looking for a deep and unique story may be put off though.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:32 pm

So I probably shouldn't watch it. Even if I do love CG.

Sorry, but it's just this sort of uneducated and childish political agenda that pisses me off. But I suppose I shouldn't let it get to me. Idiots will be idiots, and will continue to whine and stare at their thumbs while they are blind to the overall picture.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:29 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
So I probably shouldn't watch it. Even if I do love CG.

Sorry, but it's just this sort of uneducated and childish political agenda that pisses me off. But I suppose I shouldn't let it get to me. Idiots will be idiots, and will continue to whine and stare at their thumbs while they are blind to the overall picture.

I honestly don't think the political agenda was THAT bad. Don't go and slaughter/oppress native peoples to get what you want. I think that's something we can all agree on. =P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: avatar, the movie.   avatar, the movie. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next