Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)

Go down 
+2
FalconJudge
AisuKaiko
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Empty
PostSubject: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Changed the title to reflect the new purpose of this

inb4kelpisaprotistnotaplant

Alguanes

Concept Doodle

Size: Varies greatly. Some can be pretty small, but others can be absolutely enormous.

Threat: Low

Alguanes are aquatic dryads that live in the shallow coastal waters of the Topazial Sea. Unlike other Dryads, they are made of kelp rather than terrestrial plants. Their bodies consist of a single large stem and many smaller ones (the stipes), a root-like structure (the holdfast), leaflike parts(blades), and many tiny gas-filled bladders (pneumatocysts). They often grow amongst normal kelp forests. Their size depends on the depth of the water they grow in. If the water is deep enough, they can grow to hundreds of feet high, but shallow-dwellers may grow no bigger than 10 feet. Since their total growth seems to be influenced directly by the depth of the water they're in, theoretically, tiny ones can be grown in small enough masses of water, possibly for aquariums and decorative ponds.

They prefer to eat fish, small mollusks, and crustaceans. They rarely are a threat to humans, and smaller ones enjoy the company of kind divers, but some larger ones may accidentally swallow divers who get too close to their mouths without noticing anything. They either feed by entangling prey in their stipes and picking them out by hand or just simply inhaling prey that swim near their maws.

There are many kinds of sealife that feed on them. While bigger ones really don't mind if a few animals munch on their blades, smaller ones may need to fight off predators who try and eat more than they're welcome to. Their foliage, when left unchecked, could grow out and create massives kelp forests stemming from a single holdfast. Such dryads would provide massive habitats for smaller sea creatures.

Their blades are said to be very delicious when cooked just right. Humans often harvest the kelp that grows from their head. While they almost always don't mind, they may get a bit irritated if you take more then your fair share.

----

I like comments and criticisms, please :3

Last edited by AisuKaiko on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm

I like it.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 pm

i've been trying to think of a concept for aquatic dryads too. i guess the best part was to just make 'em big XD
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:01 am

I don't really think the part about them 'not being plants' is necessary. They're meant to be dryads, if they're not plants then why are you calling them that..?

We have some sort of as-of-yet undefined underwater dryad in the wiki with this entry:

"Alguanes

aquatic dryads - far cousins"

Perhaps this idea could be used to flesh out alguanes?
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:07 am

I think I was too worried about people calling it out for kelp not really being a plant... Well, you're right, it was pretty stupid.

But sure, if it goes the okay, this could be used to flesh that entry out.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm

I think the idea is nice and like Fish said, it could be the description of Alguanes Smile
Maybe we can try to think of more specific traits to make them more unique though.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

I tried to make a few changed to this. I think I need a few more ideas, but yeah, I added a few things.
Back to top Go down
nightgolem
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
nightgolem

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 pm

XD They sound pretty fun~
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/lostdemise/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)   Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Developing Alguanes (Kelp Dryads)
Page 1 of 1