Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Area Idea - Need Help Developing

Go down 
+2
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Empty
PostSubject: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 am

This is a simple and half baked idea that popped suddenly into my head. I wonder if anyone wants to help make it something more?

Yelana Spires

The Yelana Spires refer to an area of no small size which is located roughly south of the Ivokan Savannah and west of Shatterrock Caldera. This area was believed to have once been a massive plateau, one near the size of the Lamina mountains which lie to the north west. However, this was in ancient, ancient times. Since then, rivers carved the area up with canyons, which widened. The rivers then dried up or were reduced to much small sizes. The result was an archipelago of enormous, flat topped stone pillars, the tops of which seem to be all the way up in the clouds. They dwarf even the largest predators - to a human, they are simply staggering.

The canyons between the spires is fairly nondescript, being a fairly barren area with sparse grasses and shrubs. There are also many small ponds, creeks and swamps. The whole area is perpetually shaded due to the towering spires around it, even though the spaces between the spires can sometimes be fairly large. There are also often fast windstorms as the air is funneled through these series of canyons. What is most noticeable is the large amount of fossils and bones, many of which are often protruding right out of the ground or the canyon walls. For a paleontologist, this is a great place to go bone hunting. The best spots of all are the tar pits, which are fairly numerous in this area. This can be dangerous though, as a "tar pit" could actually be a slime girl in disguise!

However, the tops of the spires are a whole other story and even more fantastic. They are covered up to their edges in lush jungles filled with massive trees, much more similar to the jungles of central Felarya. Each spire is like an island, except with open air instead of water between them. Often, this means that certain species could be found on some spire islands, but not on others.

However, the most notable part of these spire islands is that many of them are home to animals not found elsewhere in Felarya - as they are believed to have gone extinct far in the past! While the rest of Felarya advanced, and their cousins were turned to fossils, to be unearthed below, these specimens survived in their isolation. The flora and fauna here is as it has been for thousands of years. If one wants to see a living, breathing Beast of the Past, the Yelana Spires may be the only place to do so.

There are scattered settlements of humanoids that live here, who often have never visited the world below. There are stories of savage cave nekos, tree dwelling warrior women and primitive shamanistic elves. Some of these tribes have built bridges between spires that are particularly close to each other. There are rumours that some of them lives in caves along the sides of the spires and have built paths and passages to get from the bottom of some of these monoliths to the top jungles.

Last edited by Jætte_Troll on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 am

Interesting.

I'll post any ideas or suggestions I have later, when I have them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 am

A whole archipelago of Lost Worlds. Fascinating! Very Happy I would love to see this explored in a novel or a film!

I particularly like the fact that it's not just the surface of the "islands" that's inhabited. I can imagine there being a few more or less hidden holes in the forest ground, leading to tunnels carved deep down into the rock... And those bridges spanning immensely deep gulfs must be quite amazing!

What about winged creatures in this environment?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 am

I really love that idea ^_^
I think you did an excellent job at the description and it's orginal and full of possibilities ! Smile
only thing is I'm a bit wary of expanding too much the world to the west for now... so maybe it could be closer ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Well, I'm still keeping it to the east of the Lamina mountains. It's more southy that westy...

Anyways, where do you think it should be placed?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 am

well actually I had thought previously of a zone that was slighty similar to this one for Malyra fen. But it's clearly not the same type of terran though ^^;
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Ah, I see. So should this just be scrapped to allow the Malrya Fen to take it's "role", so to speak?

As for winged creatures - I think that ancestors of harpies which have pterodactyl wings and reptilian feet would be the most awesome thing EVAR.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 pm

I'd like to see more flying creatures developed.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Jaette-troll : oh no it would be a pity I think ! ^^; The Malira fen was just a very sketchy idea and your zone is much more detailled Smile
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Well, besides possible location and the apparent demand for more winged creatures, what else should be changed?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:48 am

Well, here are some ideas for inhabitants and fauna and such. Please feel free to contribute your own.

Terrazans

Terrazans are believed to be an ancestral version of the Felaryan Harpy - many postulate that the Sledgewyvers are the "link" between the two species. Terrazans have a similar body structure to harpies, however they have a very different physiology. Whereas harpies have feathered wings resembling those of birds, Terrazans have large leathery wings. Terrazan wings are formed by membranes of skin and other tissues. These wings extend to a point, which is actually one of the Terrazans "fingers". They wings also attach down the sides of the Terrazans body to about the hip. This means they can fold up their wings to serve as cloaks. Their legs are reptilian as well, down to the scaly clawed feet. Terrazans are also known for having a variety of scale, skin and hair colours.

Terrazans are proud, individualistic creatures. While they do get along well with other Terrazans, they general prefer to live and hunt alone. However, couples or groups of Terrazans are not unheard of. Terrazans tend to be friendly, but can also be quick to anger. They are, as mentioned, quite proud and will not hesitate to attack someone they feel has threatened them. They are pragmatic hunters, eating anything to sustain themselves, including humans, but not enjoying toying with their prey. If needed, they will take down and eat larger prey.

Terrazans live on the cliffs of the cliffs of the Yelana spires, or on other rocky areas found on the spires. While they are an airborne creature, they are actually most closely attuned to the element of earth. After laying their eggs, they bury them in the ground - the "flapling" burrows it's way out of the ground on it's own. Terrazans are also able to "earth-meld" - A Terrazan could dive straight towards the ground, but instead of crashing, slip into and merge with the earth as easily as diving into water.

As a defensive measure, Terrazans can also turn their outer bodies to rock. During this stage, they regenerate quickly within their rocky shell. Many adventurers have been puzzled by running into intimidating looking "statues" perched in inaccessible locations.

Titan Hawks

Titan Hawks are a rare creature, but breathtakingly impressive. They are a massive bird that appears to be made of gleaming metals, chiseled marble and beauteous feathers. They are said to have been creatures of the ancient Titans, being designed by Alcazath himself to be defenders of Felarya. Most of them were killed during the Titan uprising, but, for whatever reason, they still exist in these forgotten spires. They soar majestically in seemingly meaningless routes, as if waiting for a command that will never arrive.

While very fearsome looking, they are fairly harmless. They would barely notice a human and seem not to mind predators as long as they don't get too close. Many predators like them, as their diet seems to consist mostly of a species of flying squid that live near the spires.

Bloodback Apes

A massive gorilla like creature, with six muscular arms and with black fur marked by a distinctive crimson splash down it's back. They are believed to perhaps be some sort of relative or originator to the bloodclaw apes. They are usually a good head taller than most predators and have sharp teeth and claws. Though they hunt alone, they are not rabid, swarming devourers, but cunning and bloodthirsty predators who can move disturbingly quietly for a creature of their size.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:20 am

Some excellent ideas here ! Razz
I like a lot the Terrazans. I find their earth diving and self petrification really interesting ^_^
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Subzone - Salt Flats

Located near the south and west parts of the spires are the Yelan Salt Flats. There is theorized to have once been a massive salty body of water located here which dried up, leaving behind the very flat and blindingly white salt flats. The Salt Flats are inhospitable and prevent travel further south from the spires. Although there is no vegetation, there are rumours of strange elementals and monsters that attack adventurers and suck them of all moisture! As well, the further one gets into the Flats, the more dimensionally unstable they become, portals randomly appearing and throwing you further into the waste, beyond hope of finding your way back. Still, many adventurers try to find and explore the Flats, due to the rumour that there was once an island located here which was home to a Titan and that his treasure is still buried there.

There is a rumour that powerful sorceresses can learn a spell that can teleport their victims here and that they will often use it to dispose of slug girls that displease them - the salt flats are a nightmare come true for those creatures.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 am

the salt bit is interesting...
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 am

I guess now if Anna ever goes in the business of rocket cars, she'll have a place tot est them!
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Area Idea - Need Help Developing   New Area Idea - Need  Help Developing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Area Idea - Need Help Developing
Page 1 of 1