Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Joshua Hawtherp

Go down 
+2
SuperPieGuy9
Yuki_Akuma
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Yuki_Akuma
Helpless prey

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 5:41 am

Name: Joshua Hawtherp
Race: Artificial Human/Fairy hybrid
Sex: Male
Apparent Age: 6? 12? It's very hard to tell.
Actual Age: He never kept track.
Height: 4'
Weight: Very little. Fifty pounds?

Parents: Unnamed fairy (genetic doner, status unknown); Unnamed human (genetic doner, status unknown); Rebecca Hawtherp (surrogate mother, deceased)
Siblings: Several other test subjects, status unknown.

Dislikes: People who pick on others, being confined to one place

Joshua Haytherp is the result of a genetic experiment into creating a new breed of creature, designed to be powerful enough to match the more powerful denizens of Felarya and feel protective enough of humanity to guard them.

It partially worked. Joshua is, indeed, an odd blend of human and fairy genetics - not least because, unlike most natural human/fairy hybrids, he's human sized and doesn't have wings, making him much better at identifying with humans. He's also very protective of people - although, unfortunately, he's about as likely to try to protect a naga from a soldier as he is to try to protect the soldier from the naga.

Joshua is a friendly young boy. He enjoys meeting new people and seeing new things. He also has surprisingly little fear for predators, and is quite likely to say hello to them - at least, if he can ascertain that they're not going to just devour him as soon as they notice him.

Unlike a fairy, Joshua's innate magic is stored within his body as a whole. Also unlike a fairy, he has absolutely no control over his magic, and is only dimly aware he even has it. His main focus seems to be air magic, judging from the way gusts of wind seem to aid his movement, making someone who would normally be quick clumsy into someone almost as graceful as a fairy. This power also produces breathable air for him, should he ever find himself in need of it.

Joshua's creators gave him another power, unrelated to his fairy magic - teleportation. He has no control over this power either - it tends to kick in whenever he's scared, so he's managed to get out of several sticky situations - including a few giant stomachs - although he hates to rely on this because it doesn't always work. Due to the way the power works - by swapping him with some other object of similar size - he also often feels guilty about suddenly filling a predator's stomach with rocks or soil.

While it's not magic, Joshua also has a strange habit of bringing out maternal instincts in fairies - which can be confusing, as he also registers as 'food' to most of them due to his humanlike appearance.

Physical Description

Joshua appears to most people to be a young, prepubescent elf boy. His skin is a pale olive colour, and his eyes are a surprisingly bright magenta. His dirty blond hair is a little long, although his quite long, pointed ears can easily be seen through it. His face is mildly feminine, with wide eyes, slightly longer-than-average eyelashes, and a cute button nose. He has just enough fat on his face to obscure his cheekbones, and his skin is rounded and not entirely well-defined. His skin is completely unmarred - not a scar, mole or even freckle in sight.

He's quite short - only four feet tall - and is somewhat thin even for an elf, with narrow hips and shoulders, although he has a bit of fat on his arms and his belly. He generally wears a thick blue tunic and brown shorts, with heavy boots on his feet and leather fiingerless gloves on his hands. He sometimes wears a brown hooded cloak, and is often seen with a leather camping pack worn on his back, in which he keeps most of his possessions. At his belt he carries a simple dagger, which he mostly uses as a tool rather than a weapon.

On the backs of his hands, hidden by his globes, are a pair of pink spots - seemingly birthmarks, they're actually the only visible part of a network of lines that covers his entire body. This network of lines glows whenever his innate teleportation ability activates.

So yeah. The basic idea was for a prey character who could convincingly survive an encounter with a predator without necessarily becoming her friend, but still being able to be digested if he's not careful enough and gets unlucky.

Last edited by Yuki_Akuma on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 am

I think Joshua is pretty interesting Yuki. You did a good job I think. Although, I wonder how they got the fairy DNA... but whatever. I hope a story about him appears soon...
Back to top Go down
Yuki_Akuma
Helpless prey

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 am

I'll probably write a 'prequel' story about how he was made, although the first story I write about him will be set in the 'present'.

The short of it is that the lab managed to kidnap a fairy while she was asleep, and restrained her magically so she couldn't use her magic on them.

She broke free of course. There's a reason the lab isn't there any more.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 pm

I love it, myself. ^.^ I tried to come up with something like this, but I pretty much failed (well, I tried once then got distracted by other ideas). I think Joshua would get along very well with my character Nyaha. Very Happy All I could imagine while reading the bio was Nyaha and Joshua meeting, having some nice friendly small-talk, saying goodbye and continue to walk past each other, then both coming back out of interest in each other. Maybe we (Yuki and me) could work on a story with Nyaha and Joshua sometime! ^.^ Might be fun.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Well, this looks fun- just enough personality to create every situation you'll need, and just enough powers to keep it interesting- this has my stamp of approval.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 am

not bad, but how does he look? what does he wear?

and you might wanna reconsider making the teleportation come from something other than fairy blood... i have never seen or heard of teleporting fairies^^'
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Yuki_Akuma
Helpless prey

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:29 am

Aaah, physical description... my nemesis.

Maybe the teleportation is a recessive trait... Or his powers are a result of mixing human innate magic with fairy innate magic.

You'll notice he has no size-changing abilities, so his magic isn't exactly like fairy magic...

Edit: Actually, canopy fairies have dimensional magic, including teleportation (of prey, granted). So... there you go.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:03 am

Yuki_Akuma wrote:
Actually, canopy fairies have dimensional magic, including teleportation (of prey, granted). So... there you go.

Ehh, you're straining that wording too far. It's dimensional magic- it's like a gateway from 'this space here' to 'the interior of the stomach'.

I tell you this as someone with a canopy fairy-neera hybrid character.
Back to top Go down
Yuki_Akuma
Helpless prey

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:05 am

Well, alright. Still, a fairy being able to teleport isn't entirely far-fetched, is it?
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:06 am

Yuki_Akuma wrote:
Well, alright. Still, a fairy being able to teleport isn't entirely far-fetched, is it?

No, but I wouldn't go digging on that side of his ancestry for an easy explanation for that.

EDIT: I have an idea. What if he found something that causes him to teleport, say some sort of device that he, as a child, would know nothing of how to work properly, or that it is actually what causes it. It could be a security blanket of sorts to him, so that he will not think to be rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Yuki_Akuma
Helpless prey

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 pm

I've added a physical description.

Also, while I don't like the idea of his teleporting being the result of a magic item, I'm considering making it a sort of 'biological artifact' put there intentionally by his creators, rather than being an expression of his own innate magic. Thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Yuki_Akuma wrote:
I'm considering making it a sort of 'biological artifact' put there intentionally by his creators, rather than being an expression of his own innate magic. Thoughts on this?
sounds good. now you should decide on which factors makes him teleport and still enables him to die an acidic death. if you have stories planned for him, you should just figure it out for yourself and slowly let your readers figure it out on their own as they read^^
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Joshua Hawtherp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joshua Hawtherp   Joshua Hawtherp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joshua Hawtherp
Page 1 of 1