Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elemental Avatars

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 2:32 pm

I finished the Prologue of Sean's trip in Felarya and at some point I mentioned Avatars being the incarnation of the Element. Instead of having Leviathan a Guardian, I decided to give him a role similar to his in Final Fantasy XI minus the summoning. They are not as powerful as The Guardians, nor are they affiliated with them, but they are powerful enough the give most of them a threat level of Extreme. Some characters in Felarya seems perfect for being one of them, such as Déméchrelle could be the Shadow Avatar and Alcazath could be the Earth Avatar. Their role aren't really active and the most probable reason for them to show up is when the balance of their Element is disrupted or threatened. I will give bios for them once I get the idea fixed. Also, I'm making a reference to Final Fantasy III by having an Elemental Knight appear when one Element is disrupted and you can use Avatars in your own stories, but they must have an important reason to appear aside lunch time (you can use them for vore scenes, but don't overuse it).

On a side note, I think Cypress would be perfect as the Wood Avatar.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 2:46 am

I admit I am moderatly fond of this idea of having existing characters "affiliated" to an element ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 2:32 pm

There is just one slight problem, those Avatars usually reside where their own element is abundant, a fiery montain chain for the Fire Avatar for exemple. Some areas seems fit for some of them, but there seems to be lacking some, like a heavily brightened and time influenced place for Light for exemple.

After checking the wiki, I have some ideas to where the Avatars could resisde:

Fire - The volcano at the far east. A huge and active one, shaped like a montain, with lava trails, lava pools and lava geysers here and there.

Water - Topazial sea

Wind - The Floating Field seems good, it reminds me of the Sky Castle in Final Fantasy. It will need more development though.

Earth - Ascarlin montains.

Lightning - Great rocky fields.

Ice - Frost peak.

Wood - Chidokai Forest seems ideal.

Light - Akaptor desert. Mostly being time influenced and well, you can't find more illuminated than a desert.

Shadow - Evernight forest. But not the Ténébra Maze, the darkness there is too abundant. It gots weird physics which would assossciate well with space.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 7:37 am

I will answer you about this concept.

To be honest, it's not very interesting than you can think because when we read the concept of the Elemental knight, the difference about immortal and mortal, or the other difference you describe.

It's not something very unique in Felarya when you know the world is the crossraod many other world, the concept about the Elemental knight is similar to the concept of:
the paladin = the knight who fight in name of the things he/she believes.
the elementalist = the guy who can master one or many element
Shaman = a human who call the spirit to cure or to help him in battle too

We can sum a elemental knight by a mix between warrior, and an elemental mage. In theory we can think this guy is invincible but in reality it's not the case why Question

1- Human, in its conception the humans is not perfect because he has not natural ability but its in their flaws the humans show their true potential. In nature each animal is perfect in his theory but in the end it's only the one who will know to use its ability correctly who will survive. The difference between predator and prey is very thin. A predator if it's not carefull and ends as prey. For the case of the elemental knight, the great weakness of your character is simply the fact he is human. Even if he has great powers which make him demi-god now he can be defeated by simple humans.

The different chosen one in many stories never consider themselves superior to a normal humans, because in reality it's in the point of view of the other but it's not reflect the reality.

2-Objectivity, why I asked you what was the advantages and drawback on your character it was just to know if you are objective with yourself, I explain why a character become tiedous it's because the authors spend most of the time to show the advantage of his character and never the drawbacks I mean he is never really in danger etc... It sounds cool but in the end the story repeat itself and there is no suspense. It doesn't show a reality, in general your opponent will always attack you by your weakness, someone who is strong he is someone who know his weakness and know to turn them in strenght.

When we look the concept all the elemental knight are correctly balanced except your character that's why there is the classical problem "I don't know to control my power etc..."

The concept of avatar is not so interesting in the end because it's just a way to center the story on your character, what will make your character original is tha quality of the interaction between him and the environnment and show him in situation where sometime his huge ability is useless. Life is a chain of success and fails, that's why it makes it very interesting.

3-the goal, I have the feeling all you will create focuse on more on your character but not what happen around him. When you write a story is not show only how strong and powerful your character is but to show the universe around him and how it will change him physically but mentaly too.

We always think is us who will change our environnment but it's not the case. It's not environnment who change us but it's necessary in good or bad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 8:06 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I will answer you about this concept.

To be honest, it's not very interesting than you can think because when we read the concept of the Elemental knight, the difference about immortal and mortal, or the other difference you describe.

It's not something very unique in Felarya when you know the world is the crossraod many other world, the concept about the Elemental knight is similar to the concept of:
the paladin = the knight who fight in name of the things he/she believes.
the elementalist = the guy who can master one or many element
Shaman = a human who call the spirit to cure or to help him in battle too

We can sum a elemental knight by a mix between warrior, and an elemental mage. In theory we can think this guy is invincible but in reality it's not the case why Question

1- Human, in its conception the humans is not perfect because he has not natural ability but its in their flaws the humans show their true potential. In nature each animal is perfect in his theory but in the end it's only the one who will know to use its ability correctly who will survive. The difference between predator and prey is very thin. A predator if it's not carefull and ends as prey. For the case of the elemental knight, the great weakness of your character is simply the fact he is human. Even if he has great powers which make him demi-god now he can be defeated by simple humans.

The different chosen one in many stories never consider themselves superior to a normal humans, because in reality it's in the point of view of the other but it's not reflect the reality.

2-Objectivity, why I asked you what was the advantages and drawback on your character it was just to know if you are objective with yourself, I explain why a character become tiedous it's because the authors spend most of the time to show the advantage of his character and never the drawbacks I mean he is never really in danger etc... It sounds cool but in the end the story repeat itself and there is no suspense. It doesn't show a reality, in general your opponent will always attack you by your weakness, someone who is strong he is someone who know his weakness and know to turn them in strenght.

When we look the concept all the elemental knight are correctly balanced except your character that's why there is the classical problem "I don't know to control my power etc..."

The concept of avatar is not so interesting in the end because it's just a way to center the story on your character, what will make your character original is tha quality of the interaction between him and the environnment and show him in situation where sometime his huge ability is useless. Life is a chain of success and fails, that's why it makes it very interesting.

3-the goal, I have the feeling all you will create focuse on more on your character but not what happen around him. When you write a story is not show only how strong and powerful your character is but to show the universe around him and how it will change him physically but mentaly too.

We always think is us who will change our environnment but it's not the case. It's not environnment who change us but it's necessary in good or bad Very Happy
I feel like a loser after reading this. Sad
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 8:49 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I feel like a loser after reading this. Sad

I did the same mistake as you the first time when I create some characters for Felarya Laughing

The difficulty when you write a story about Felarya is the fact is not completely your universe, I mean your character belong to you but the universe.

I recommend you to speak with Karbo to help you to understand what is his point of view about his universe to have your own idea, in clear as you have excellent idea of concept like the scorched mountains, I think it's excellent.

The concept you developp is very interesting, the idea of the aura is excellent but when I read it I have the feeling it just to show how your character is powerful and flawless.

It's like the question which is the stronger between magic and technology, the true answer is none of them because they are two differents way to solve a same problem. "How to survive?"

All you need to show how with your concept how the elemental knight strive to survive in Felarya, that's all Very Happy

Listen to me the most famous men of this world learn more from their fail than their success. Einstein was not so good in school Very Happy
The guy who create Dell didn't know anything about computer. Very Happy

We don't always success at the first time Very Happy

Each martial arts in its concept idea is perfect but in the end it will depend on the personality Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 10:23 am

Guess I have to show my ideas in the stories instead of showing it before hand. Someone can terminate this thread please?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:06 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Guess I have to show my ideas in the stories instead of showing it before hand. Someone can terminate this thread please?
Keep this thread open, it's better to have rough note when you write a story Wink
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 am

Well, the Avatars won't make an appearance until the second story arc, but will be mentioned in the first.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I got the idea of having a Temple in each of the location I posted before, each associated with the location's Element like in Ocarina of Time. The Avatar reside deep in the Temple and you must go through the Temple, solving puzzles and fighting your way through to reach him. There's no locked doors, maps, compass, keys or item you need to find to clear it, it's more puzzle and action oriented. Some Temples will, instead of leading to a chamber where the Avatar reside, will transport you to a remote area where the Avatar is. This is for the three biggest, Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz. Some are simply courtyard like, you are still in the temple, but you are outside.

In order to open the Temple, you must first go to it's corresponding Shrine, which his in the same location as the Temple, except for the Wind Shrine. You must solve the puzzle of the Srine to open the Temple. Shrines are more based on the Temple of Time, you only got one puzzle at the entrance and that's it, no enemy and no exploration. To open the door leading to the Avatar, you must do the same thing you did to open the Temple. Those will be more thouroughly detailed in the second story-arc. For now, they are simply mentioned.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm

It's too generic Sad
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Well, that's all I can think of ^^; (wish there was an actual sweatdrop emoticon) However, reaching the end is impossible alone, so somewhere in my story (I finished the first chapter.) I will add another protagonist. For now, this is simply a seed, overtime, it will become a tree. One thing that holds true is that there will be one main puzzle that must be solved before reaching the deepest part of the dungeon, most exploration will deal with trying to solve this. I intend to make puzzles and exploration some kind of a cross between Legend of Zelda and Metroid. Speaking of the Avatars, I found some names for some.

Fire - Efreet (It was the only fire creature I found in Wikipedia that wasn't generic.)

Water - Leviathan (It represent the Sea in some religion, that has to count for something.)

Wind - Ziz (Represent the Sky in same religion as above. Originally intended to be Garuda, but decided to include the three to make more sense.)

Earth - Behemoth (Represent the Land in above religion. Since Titans are already existing, I was stuck with this.)

Lightning - Not decided

Ice - Not decided

Wood - Not decided

Light - Not decided yet, but intend to name her after a star or constellation.

Shadow - Phantom (I didn't found any shadow based creature, so I gave him that name because of his ghost powers.)
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:12 pm

It's look like too much a Final Fantasy game than Felarya. You change the world too much I think.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm better at showing them in the story than out of it. If you read the prologue, they represent the Elements, they aren't summons that you use to deal 4637 HP damage to all enemies on screen. For now, consider them as non-existant. When I'll be writing the second story-arc, they will be involved, but more like the Sages of OoT. For the time being, I can assume it's best to terminate this thread and concentrate on my story.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Sound decent enough.

For the Shadow-guy, perhaps the good ol' Latin name of Acerbus (bitter, gloomy, dark)?

For Ice, perhaps some sort of a Polar Bear? What do you image the Ice as, a Magic Caster or a creature of Brute Strength?

Actually, that goes for all the undecided.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:29 pm

I decided that I will restart this thread as one looking for suggestions. Since gwadahunter think I'm turning this into Final Fantasy, I'll let the others give me ideas for them.

The Shadow Avatar will remained unchanged since I was done with his personality and abilities and Mahalite suggested a better name, Acerbus.

@gwadahunter: Happy now, it won't become Final Fantasy, so now you might have a bit more faith in my work.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
@gwadahunter: Happy now, it won't become Final Fantasy, so now you might have a bit more faith in my work.

I believe in what I see, so you have to showme I'm wrong Wink

All I see for the moment, is similar to the classical RPG where the hero will travel in quest of the ultimate power to defeat the ultimate threat is something very classical. It's the feeling you give when I read your concept, it was very interesting to read the concept the aura until you say there is a more powerfull aura than the other and coincidence it's the aura of the main character. And another point the temples you plan to developp it is easy to predict Sean who will success and have the power of the Avatars.

If you want I have faith in your work it's up to you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:32 am

Just wait until I get to that part, there is no gaining powers from dieties.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:58 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Just wait until I get to that part, there is no gaining powers from dieties.
In a story the reader has always an idea of what may happen, it's the duty of writer to surprise the reader.

That's why I'm waiting Very Happy

In clear, it's up to you Wink
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 9:29 am

Well, I keep scrapping my ideas over and over, I'm never sure of what it will be in the end.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:46 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Well, I keep scrapping my ideas over and over, I'm never sure of what it will be in the end.
It's normal after all, when you start to developp something the result is very different from the original idea. It's normal after all Wink
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 pm

You know what, I'll put the Wind Avatar along with the shrine and temple in the Mist Ocean since it got strong winds. I decided that the Avatars won't live in the Temples, but rather in their elements. Water in the sea, Shadow in places like Evernight Forest or Sunfall Thickets, stuff like that. They are seldom seen by humans, but do appears to eat them when hungry or do other stuff linked to their personality, like Acerbus playing tricks on humans for exemple. The Temples are constructions on a Nexus of massive elemental magic in order to protect said Nexus. The Shrines are simply a sacred construction where those dedicated to the Elements come to pray.

Does that make it less Final Fantasy-esque?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:15 pm

It will depend how you developp your story.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 6:03 am

I came up with a new idea: Every Avatars are shape shifters and can take the form of any creature associated with their Element. No one knows their real form.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:12 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I came up with a new idea: Every Avatars are shape shifters and can take the form of any creature associated with their Element. No one knows their real form.

Classical, there is already shape shifters between the guardians and many creature in Felarya Sad

And the fact it's only your characters who will meet them won't help you too much in the developpment of your story Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elemental Avatars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Avatars   Elemental Avatars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elemental Avatars
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next