Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dryad film makers

Go down 
+9
GREGOLE
gwadahunter2222
Anime-Junkie
Shady Knight
Karbo
Warrior3000
Pendragon
Cypress
rcs619
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Dryad film makers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Firstly, if you're going to argue so passionately, it would really help to do so in a coherent way. Right now it's incredibly difficult to understand what you're actually trying to get at. You're making lots of nice points about computers, biology and the internet that don't really pertain to this. Once again, you are looking at this too literally and bringing up tons of facts that don't matter either way.

Okay, now that we've had the rant about modern telecommunications and AI, back to Felarya.

Would a Dryad need to consciously decide that a scene she is seeing should be one that should be more thoroughly "recorded" for sharing later? Or could she just retrieve scenes she has viewed and put them into this form.

Basically what I'm saying, does this mean dryads are capable of near perfect photographic memory?
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Hmm, personally, I'd imagine that Dryads would need to pay as close attention to something to record as a person would when watching their favorite TV show. Just enough so that the details are as clear as possible for the recipient to make sense of the scene. The clarity of the image would depend a lot on what details the Dryad focused on, ones she missed, etc.

That's my thoughts, dunno what you guys prefer. o:
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Basically what I'm saying, does this mean dryads are capable of near perfect photographic memory?
I'd have to say no. We've got no evidence that they are from stories, making them have a memory like that just for this seems a bit much.
I don't doubt that they have a very good memory, what with their lifespan, but near perfect photographic? No.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:28 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Firstly, if you're going to argue so passionately, it would really help to do so in a coherent way. Right now it's incredibly difficult to understand what you're actually trying to get at. You're making lots of nice points about computers, biology and the internet that don't really pertain to this. Once again, you are looking at this too literally and bringing up tons of facts that don't matter either way.

It's not what you are thinking. The movie maker things rise the issues of the capacity and how powerful the dryad network is, and how dryads share informations between them. If the information are sending through sound and the dryad only receive the sound of the voice of the other dryads. It's OK because it can be easily relay through any type of network. A simple image can be send too through this way or small animation without sounds. No things become complicate where you have to send a complete animation with sound, because you are sending important number of images by second synchronized with sound. This process raise many issue because the information is bigger than a single image or sound only information because depending of the capacity of the network to transport the information you can have a slow animation completely desynchronized with the sound it's get worst with the distance. The solution has been to increase the overall capacity of the network and centralize the data and use relay to make the flow of information easier through network.

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Okay, now that we've had the rant about modern telecommunications and AI, back to Felarya.

So answer to these questions what is the real capacity of the dryad network? How is it structured ? How the information circulate through it? and How fast can they be sent ? Does a dryad can download the memory of her sister? What is it current size ? Does she can see through the eyes of her other sisters no matter the distance? as example does a dryad living at Frost Peak can see through the eyes of her sister living Akaptor desert in real time? Is the network in overall is more powerful and more advanced than any computer's networks ?

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Would a Dryad need to consciously decide that a scene she is seeing should be one that should be more thoroughly "recorded" for sharing later? Or could she just retrieve scenes she has viewed and put them into this form.
A Dryad can create her mental movie by imaging or using or altering the image she previously seen with her own eyes. She can recorded how many movie she wants depending how long the movie is but the whole question is how she send it through the network. because send a movie more them

Jætte_Troll wrote:

Sound and image are independent even if a dryad has a good photographic memory it doesn't mean she has good sound memory. The opposite it's true too.

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor rephrasing)
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:27 am

gwada and Anime, I respect you two a lot, but you've really gone in killing a really neat idea. As Cliff pointed you, you can't explain everything with science. Let your suspension of disbelief kick in. Sure, suspension of disbelief doesn't throw away all logic, but remember that the network could be much better and powerful than a computer. Just use your imagination, geez. Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:44 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
gwada and Anime, I respect you two a lot, but you've really gone in killing a really neat idea. As Cliff pointed you, you can't explain everything with science. Let your suspension of disbelief kick in. Sure, suspension of disbelief doesn't throw away all logic, but remember that the network could be much better and powerful than a computer. Just use your imagination, geez. Neutral

What has been explained until now:

-Hell & Heaven
-The Felaryan physics done by Cliff
-Magic
-How fairies change their size
-Predator Sense done by Cliff Again
-How Felaryan ground cure people
I can add the description of many creatures with the help of knowledge on real biology

The knowledge in telecommunication network is something very basic anyone who knows the base can develop a plausible and believable fictional network without enter to the details. Even if it uses magic or psychic or anything you want instead of the classical computer. It's easier than everything that has been done already.

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor rephrasing)
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 am

That would be fair enough... lest it was a thread about "How does the Dryad Network Function?", which is not the case. This is an idea about a silly, harmless idea that would add some degrees of humor to the Dryad that you and Junkie hijacked into a more serious and scientific parallel between their network and modern telecommunications, which wasn't what Cliff, the thread maker, was heading for.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:32 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
That would be fair enough... lest it was a thread about "How does the Dryad Network Function?", which is not the case. This is an idea about a silly, harmless idea that would add some degrees of humor to the Dryad that you and Junkie hijacked into a more serious and scientific parallel between their network and modern telecommunications, which wasn't what Cliff, the thread maker, was heading for.

But you can't deny it raise the question even if it was a joke it can make you to think about it. If a parallel is done to youtube DA or the social network like facebook and twitter, people can start to assume the dryad network is similar to internet or to the playstation network or XBLA. In a way we are like dryads because we are communicate through long distance with a network lol!

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor rephrasing)
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I don't want to kill this idea, but when I look at it it makes dryads seem like computers to me. They're obviously not, so I'm against this idea in it's current form. I'm not asking for huge changes though.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:19 am

Gwada, I have been debating with you for years, so I think it's high time I told you something.
I have never been able to understand anything you have ever said.

This idea does nothing to impact the greater workings of Felarya, but it does explain why dryads aren't all insane from boredom, and it further develops the network. Exactly what does anyone have against it?

And really, the dryad network has zero development. If you want to rule this idea out because the dryads in the stories didn't display a photographic memory or anything, you should probably cite stories that at least reference the network's existence. Those stories didn't suggest dryads have a photographic memory because there is almost nothing on the network, thus nothing that a writer would feel compelled to keep in mind. I am proposing a way to solve that problem right now.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Actually, while talking to Cliff on MSN I had said that it would have been better had he started a thread to develop and flesh out the current dryad network then introduced the idea there, to which he replied that this is what this thread was for fleshing out the network.

Anyway, after reading over this thread again I have decided to revise my stance on this idea.
I still think it makes dryads seem a bit too much like computers, however the base concept is good and I have nothing against it. The dryad network does need development.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:34 am

GREGOLE wrote:
Gwada, I have been debating with you for years, so I think it's high time I told you something.
I have never been able to understand anything you have ever said.
It comes maybe because English is not my language and I struggle to explain myself in a proper english I'm a foreigner so I have a different culture than your. If you want to understand me really what I want to say start to learn French and try to speak with me you will be surprise by the difference. Sorry but I can't do nothing about that. I study English very hard I try to make effort but the gap is huge so you have to make some effort of comprehension.

GREGOLE wrote:
This idea does nothing to impact the greater workings of Felarya, but it does explain why dryads aren't all insane from boredom, and it further develops the network. Exactly what does anyone have against it?

It's not a matter of impact it's just how it explain it's just bugging me like you are annoyed to see many tauric creature downplaying their animal counterpart.

It can look fun but not in practice, because it won't work in the same was as if they were a small group in the same location than different dryads in different locations. Because the closer you are from the signal the better you receive it. So the dryad the more isolated will still have a boring existence and the dryad ho post her movie can do nothing against that is her other sisters who are closer to try to find a way in her order their most isolated sisters can see the movie too. And site like youtube, DA, dailymotion and any livestreaming site or any website and social network are just hosts which are storing and manage all the technical and administrating side like the access and the sharing what the film-makers and the watchers is just asking to their services. The big part part is done by the host, the film-maker focuse only to make the movie and the watcher are just watching. In a network all the different tasks are shared between the different members, between the member at the head and the member at the end you can have many intermediaries. The film maker is just making is film the hosts store and make it accessible to the watchers who are just watching.

GREGOLE wrote:
And really, the dryad network has zero development. If you want to rule this idea out because the dryads in the stories didn't display a photographic memory or anything, you should probably cite stories that at least reference the network's existence. Those stories didn't suggest dryads have a photographic memory because there is almost nothing on the network, thus nothing that a writer would feel compelled to keep in mind. I am proposing a way to solve that problem right now.
So it's important to develop the dryad network as it has been done previously to the ability of the fairy to size-shift or the predator sense. It's not the first time things like that happen Razz
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am

First, we need to give a name to this network. I say we name it the Overmind. Razz
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
First, we need to give a name to this network. I say we name it the Overmind. Razz
I thought it was called the dryad network.
To them it is probably something like "The Network" as it is the only one they know.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm

This has now become the Dryad Network brainstorming thread (also featuring Dryad Film Makers =P)

This really does seem like something that has been expanded on very little. So let's give it a shot =D

...and yeah, I imagine they just call it "The Network" Short, simple and to the point.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Or maybe The Collective? I'm only pitching ideas.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Just gonna make a new thread specifically to brainstorm about the network. Start fresh, and all that.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:17 am

Sean Okotami wrote:

This.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:

Yeah, I think this needs to be applied more often, not just in this subject thread.

I understand the need to explain things, but don't overcomplicate them. Trust me, it's better left that way.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I agree with pendragon. Science can't even fully explain everything we know on earth. New discoveries are constantly being made. I suggest we take it down a bit on the explanations, because I don't think any of us are real scientists or anything. Describing felarya scientifically would be impossible for us right now.
Back to top Go down
Dante8411
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 8:29 pm

It would have to work in real-time, though. There are no remote servers, unless some dryads with EXCELLENT memory volunteer for the position.
However, the idea that some dryads will disconnect themselves ("No peeking") and compose an entire saga of some kind -whether it takes the form of an imageless story or a full theatrical production of imagination- is pretty valid. It would just have to work on a sort of schedule.
"Guys, I'm going to start broadcasting that thing I did. You'll have to focus on me for the best picture."
Back to top Go down
http://dante8411.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dryad film makers   Dryad film makers - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dryad film makers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2