Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Story section

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I think we should add articles to the wiki that detail more of the story of Felarya; particularly the development of each character. Surely by now, something has happened that would warrant additional information. A good starting point might be the material that has already been published, or some of the older literature that has been up on deviantart for a year or so. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Not entirely sure what you mean here. Why not just update character bios?
If people want to know about character development, they can just read those stories.
Anyway, some characters, to my knowledge, haven't been in any stories yet.

Also, this should have gone in change suggestions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Allow me to rephrase what I've said. There are no less than three published books, with a fourth on its way, detailing plot developments that I would never have even known about if I weren't watching Karbo's DA page. The wiki has tons of descriptive info about the characters, setting, and properties of Felarya, but absolutely nothing to suggest that there has been any actual story development since the wiki was first created.

What I'm suggesting is the addition of a PLOT SYNOPSIS of some kind; something that will tell the readers what has been going on during the past two or three years, especially for those of us whose financial situations don't allow us the luxury of buying the books from some obscure distributor that we didn't even know existed until we clicked the link in Karbo's DA journal.

A synopsis would also be useful in helping us to determine which of the stories are actually part of the series cannon and not just fanfiction. For example, in the preview pages of the third book, it is made clear that Anna is dealing with some sort of personal crisis; I would like to know more about this development, as well as anything else that has been detailed.

The purpose of a wiki is to provide all available information on a subject. As new information comes to light, the staff of said wiki is expected to research said info, confirm its legitimacy, and add it to the material that is already present, so that the articles may be kept up to date; it is their responsibility to do so. If the information provided by the wiki is not kept up to date, people begin to lose interest. What I'm seeing here is a wiki that fails to provide up-to-date information.

And before you ask, yes I do admin a wiki (specifically Teletraan-I), and I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Not to be offensive, but the tomes don't cost that much. More importantly, its not Karbo's job to shortchange his own enterprise in such a way.

The only thing I think that would be useful is the conglomeration of the stories which is being conducted in one of the threads here so that people can tell the order of said stories in an easier fashion. The purpose of the wiki is to provide background, and it does a fine job of that. The only dissent I have with it is the lack of information in some of the bios that were character made and have never been completed due to the contributors of said characters no longer being around - but this is hardly Karbo's fault. By examining recent changes on the wiki, we can see that the contributors are indeed updating the wiki; correcting spelling mistakes and adding new information that is approved of and allowed to be used by said persons agreeing to the disclaimer Karbo posted. New ideas and zones are still being proposed and added provided the disclaimer is accepted.

Not really feelin' you on this one.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Agreed, and remember that editing access to the wiki is very limited, oldman40k, Frenchsnack and Karbo are the only current editors that I know of and Karbo is the only one (as far as I know) who adds new content.

Here is a full list of everyone who can edit the wiki. Obviously some of them don't or are rarely active in the community. Sad
ElPortero
French-snack
Karbo
Oldman40k2003
Randomdude678
Silenteric
Veeshan123
Wowandwas
Zoekin
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 am

I see the wiki as more of a resource, myself. I think its role is to store and catalogue information on important places, creatures and characters, so that when people want to write, draw or just learn about Felarya, they can. I don't think there's a need to put up summaries of the mangas, or reveal plot info of characters' stories unless its important for their bio (Katrika coming from another world, for example). If you start putting up too much info, it ruins the story.

As for the mangas, they are all canon due to the fact that Karbo himself does them. They are the most accurate view of Felarya you're going to get.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:32 am

rcs619 wrote:
I see the wiki as more of a resource, myself. I think its role is to store and catalogue information on important places, creatures and characters, so that when people want to write, draw or just learn about Felarya, they can. I don't think there's a need to put up summaries of the mangas, or reveal plot info of characters' stories unless its important for their bio (Katrika coming from another world, for example). If you start putting up too much info, it ruins the story.

As for the mangas, they are all canon due to the fact that Karbo himself does them. They are the most accurate view of Felarya you're going to get.
This pretty much sums it up.
The wiki is a canon content resource for developing new ideas and writing stories.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 am

It layman's terms: The wiki is just one giant notepad.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Story section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story section   Story section Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Story section
Page 1 of 1