Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Seasons

Go down 
+8
rcs619
gwadahunter2222
timing2
Pendragon
Anime-Junkie
Archmage_Bael
Jætte_Troll
Shady Knight
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:57 am

I have been told multiple times that there are no seasons in Felarya. Well, choke on this: http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Plant_life#Chritu_Ivy This entry flat-out says that these plants grow every Spring, which means that there IS a flow of seasons in Felarya.

But the question is, is the flow of seasons the same as on Earth, or is it more random? I once talked to Karbo about the flow of seasons and he said that there isn't an established one and I proposed that they happen at random. But after checking this entry, this make little sense. I know it's Felarya and its notorious for telling real life physics to sit and spin, but I highly doubt such a chaotic, incoherent flow of season would be good for the fauna and flora. So I took it upon myself to make a flow of season, although I will need help to explain it.

So consider this thread a Brain Storming Thread.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 pm

I think that the Chritu Ivy should be changed to reflect Felarya, rather than the other way around. I doubt that there is a flow of season in Felarya, or much change at all, since its not a "planet" in the known sense, existing inside its own dimension. You need a planet orbiting a star to get seasons. For the most part, areas in Felarya would have fairly constant weather throughout the year.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Actually Lamina has its own random weather, and besides, it's told numerous times that Felarya has it own physics, so I'm positive it would have seasons while lacking a proper sun.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 pm

seasons aren't produced by the sun, it's caused because of earth's axis relative to the sun. if there is no tilted axis, the season will be the same all year round. Which means that since felarya HAS no axis, it's not physically possible for felarya to have seasons.

bringing magic in to say that felarya has seasons would be saying that there's a magical force that was willing to input seasons, and the guardians aren't gods, they're there to monitor the world's balance, not whether it snows or blooms.

Of course there would be seasons in the sense that trees might hibernate, but hibernation is a response to severe cold, and protection against it, and since there is a lack of seasons on felarya, that means the trees wouldn't need to hibernate.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:06 pm

There might be seasons, but not in the way that we understand them. For example, I think that plants will still undergo their reproduction cycles, etc so there could be a "spring" if a whole lot of plant's pollination cycles started at once.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 pm

that's a good idea, but severe weather changes ( like summer and winter) wouldn't occur.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 6:23 am

Gotta agree with Bael and Junkie on this one. I really don't want to have another thing in Felarya explained with "a wizard did it".

Unless we have a solid reason for seasons to exist in Felarya, don't let them exist.
Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

I'd asked Karbo about this some time ago, since I had a question about how the seasons would work in a flat world that connects to random stars and moons to simulate day/night. According the main theory, there could be seasons due to the fact that different stars are the source of light/heat used by the world at different times, but they don't flow with any sort of regular cadence. You could have a winter or a summer, or anything in between. It wouldn't necessarily follow Earth's seasonal patterns. My own stories briefly mention the passing of seasons - winter, for example, is in progress during Serimela's story. If you want to be fancy, you could even postulate that not all parts of Felarya are connecting to the same exact star at the same time - thus some areas would be colder or warmer than others. Some areas could do this on a regular basis, thus creating a seasonal effect.

Brings up an interesting point - what exactly is a year in Felarya? Not sure I want to open that can of worms.
Back to top Go down
http://timing2.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 pm

timing2 wrote:
I'd asked Karbo about this some time ago, since I had a question about how the seasons would work in a flat world that connects to random stars and moons to simulate day/night. According the main theory, there could be seasons due to the fact that different stars are the source of light/heat used by the world at different times, but they don't flow with any sort of regular cadence. You could have a winter or a summer, or anything in between. It wouldn't necessarily follow Earth's seasonal patterns. My own stories briefly mention the passing of seasons - winter, for example, is in progress during Serimela's story. If you want to be fancy, you could even postulate that not all parts of Felarya are connecting to the same exact star at the same time - thus some areas would be colder or warmer than others. Some areas could do this on a regular basis, thus creating a seasonal effect.

Brings up an interesting point - what exactly is a year in Felarya? Not sure I want to open that can of worms.
So... is it the seasons coming at random, the seasons have varying lengths or a mix of both?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
timing2 wrote:

So... is it the seasons coming at random, the seasons have varying lengths or a mix of both?

I took it as that one part of felarya may be winter, while another part of it may be summer, like the southern and northern hemispheres, only it would be more patched up. Like one forest could randomly be summer, but the one next to it could be winter.

Of course that would have to mean that there would be several "suns" visible all throughout felarya at the same time. Talk about a multi-star solar system.

Anyway for seasons to occur, there MUST be a slanted axis. period. (weather doesn't occur just because of the sun's distance from the planet. and that's weather, not seasons) The dimension mimicks a full planet because it acts like a screen on an old arcade game. you get to one end, and you're transported to the other side. However, on a flat screen you can't mimick an axis. That has to do with the way a planet is tipped over, and since I'm no physicist, I really don't want to think about how the dimension could mimick an axis.
Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 pm

You don't need a slanted axis to reduce the amount of radiant light warming the planet. The angle affects the dispersion of light over the surface area of the planet – straight on in the summer, high angle in the winter. Thus, you would need it to reproduce the seasons exactly as they occur on Earth (with the Northern and Southern Hemispheres having opposite seasons). However, elliptical orbits of planets cause periods of cooler and hotter temperatures that could just as easily be called seasons, despite them not following Earth's seasonal patterns.

With Felarya's odd mechanics, it'd be entirely possible for it to "pick" stars and distances in a manner that could mimic seasons - or not - it could also be completely random. And if we're warping spatial references completely, why not have multiple stars affecting various parts of the plane in various ways - and they need not all be visible from the same location. Think of a spherical playing field where one side can't see the other due to the curvature of the surface.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:26 pm

well the only way for felary to have season would be for felarya to pick the suns at locatiosn that would help it mimick seasons, but why would it be that complicated in the first place?

I imagine what could be, is that if you imagine felarya like a quilt with patchwork: one forest could be experiencing extreme winter based on what that location picks up dimensionally, but the forest next to it could be experiencing extreme summer. this would make felarya even harder to cross, too.

still, the axis is vital to seasons. temperature and seasons are two completely different issues. you can have a cold summer, but it'd still be summer. The distance from the sun only will dictate the warmth. Around the edges of felarya's borders however, if it relied on one star, would make the edges colder, and winter like all the time. It would help explain the topazial sea area. But felarya is generally a freak of nature.

I suggest something be done about the entries in the wiki that have to do with the seasons until we sort this out, because it screws with felarya's internal logic, and now the whole universe no longer makes any sense within itself.
Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:58 pm

If you want to be technical, most cultures define the seasons by the solstices and equinoxes (either starting/ending them or straddling them). Felarya doesn't orbit a star and doesn't have solstices or equinoxes, at least according to the main theory on the website. But that wouldn't necessarily stop the inhabitants from naming what happens in various parts of Felarya as seasons.

My point in all of this is that the seasons wouldn't necessarily follow the same flow as they do on Earth. They could in certain parts in Felarya. There's nothing to prevent that from occurring in a story. And there may be parts that have no seasons at all. Again, it's up to the authors and artists to decide that.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:59 pm

timing2 wrote:
If you want to be technical, most cultures define the seasons by the solstices and equinoxes (either starting/ending them or straddling them). Felarya doesn't orbit a star and doesn't have solstices or equinoxes, at least according to the main theory on the website. But that wouldn't necessarily stop the inhabitants from naming what happens in various parts of Felarya as seasons.
Indeed, this is what I was implying before.

timing2 wrote:
My point in all of this is that the seasons wouldn't necessarily follow the same flow as they do on Earth. They could in certain parts in Felarya. There's nothing to prevent that from occurring in a story. And there may be parts that have no seasons at all. Again, it's up to the authors and artists to decide that.
Yeah, Felarya would still have ocean currents, intercontinental winds and the like and those would have cycles, I think they would just be a bit longer than on earth due to the stability (Yes, stability, in Felarya) of the level, etc of sunlight.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm

felarya is, I believe, much more stable than people give it credit for.

But it doesn't matter how cultures see seasons, it matters the actual definition of them.

How Seasons Work

you must have a planet-star relationship like that in order for seasons to work. you need an axis like i've been saying. dimensional magic wont cut it this time. sorry guys :/
Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:46 pm

It doesn't matter how cultures work? There's more than one definition of "season" and some of them are very dependent on the culture doing the defining. You're thinking of the astronomical definition.

The Romans, for example, did not follow the astronomical definition. They are not the only ones either. Meteorologists still use their definition when talking about seasons - each was exactly three months long with spring beginning on March 1, summer on June 1, autumn on September 1, and winter on December 1. And there are some countries that have very specific rules as to when the seasons begins - based on temperature measurements, religious beliefs, etc.

Now why couldn't this happen in Felarya?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:21 pm

timing2 wrote:
The Romans, for example, did not follow the astronomical definition. They are not the only ones either. Meteorologists still use their definition when talking about seasons - each was exactly three months long with spring beginning on March 1, summer on June 1, autumn on September 1, and winter on December 1. And there are some countries that have very specific rules as to when the seasons begins - based on temperature measurements, religious beliefs, etc.

thats a calendar.
Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
timing2 wrote:

thats a calendar.
Yes, and?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 pm

well just to explain this in layman's terms, that means it has nothing to do with how season's work, which is what we're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:17 am

Actually, Timing is saying that what we usually call the four seasons is not absolute and different cultures may have different things they call seasons, like the season of droughts, the season of rain, the season of crops, all that jazz.

All he's saying is: Use your goddamn imagination already!
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:18 am

@Sean stop saying things like using your imagination it's hypocritical.

@Bael you did a mistake to consider the whole Felarya don't possess an axis. Felarya is different part of dimensions connected to each others including the sky in theory each zone can have it's own sky and it's own climate when the world random connect to another sky it has the same axis of the world connected. So if the world connect to a world where it's winter you can be sure to see suddenly snow fall even if you are to the middle of the jungle. And during the time the world is connected it can be considered as a season. What timing is saying a season doesn't necessary refer to the four season like spring, summers,autumn and winter. There is other type of season which can be defined more culturally than astronomically and independent of the weather conditions.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

@Bael you did a mistake to consider the whole Felarya don't possess an axis. Felarya is different part of dimensions connected to each others including the sky in theory each zone can have it's own sky and it's own climate when the world random connect to another sky it has the same axis of the world connected. So if the world connect to a world where it's winter you can be sure to see suddenly snow fall even if you are to the middle of the jungle. And during the time the world is connected it can be considered as a season. What timing is saying a season doesn't necessary refer to the four season like spring, summers,autumn and winter. There is other type of season which can be defined more culturally than astronomically and independent of the weather conditions.
That's what I've been saying.

Anyway there could be seasons (abet much milder than we have here). I'm a bit to tired to write up exactly how it would work right now, I'll do it later.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:04 am

if it would have seasons via connecting to areas that would, then it WOULD be really mild.

for a season to continue, you have to take into account that you're talking about a sky. the ground of felarya isn't dimensionally included from another planet as well. Which means that just because part of the sky may be in winter, doesn't mean everywhere else would be. So that's where storms would come from maybe. Also you have to take into account the air currents.

The only thing your idea would mean, is that there would be brief periods of storms and various weather, some possibly really intense, but seasons? no.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:17 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
for a season to continue, you have to take into account that you're talking about a sky. the ground of felarya isn't dimensionally included from another planet as well. Which means that just because part of the sky may be in winter, doesn't mean everywhere else would be. So that's where storms would come from maybe. Also you have to take into account the air currents.
Indeed It can be located on a region or area which means each zone can have its own internal season and not a global one. But the ground to adapt to the change of sky can change its own axis or to connect to a sky with an axis similar to it's own. The weather conditions are not global but localized and vary in functions of the area. To be simple there is no global seasons as we have on Earth but local seasons.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
The only thing your idea would mean, is that there would be brief periods of storms and various weather, but seasons? no.
Even if the connections are random they can follow a cycle and generate seasons.

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : minor rephrasing)
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Doesn't Felarya borrow it's suns from other dimensions? I could've sworn Karbo mentioned that somewhere.

Does it do this in a pattern, or is it completely random? Because I can imagine a stable calendar being made from this possible cycle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Felarya Seasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Seasons
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next