Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Seasons

Go down 
+8
rcs619
gwadahunter2222
timing2
Pendragon
Anime-Junkie
Archmage_Bael
Jætte_Troll
Shady Knight
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
for a season to continue, you have to take into account that you're talking about a sky. the ground of felarya isn't dimensionally included from another planet as well. Which means that just because part of the sky may be in winter, doesn't mean everywhere else would be. So that's where storms would come from maybe. Also you have to take into account the air currents.
Indeed It can be located on a region or area which means each zone can have its own internal season and not a global one. But the ground to adapt to the change of sky can change its own axis or to connect to a sky with an axis similar to it's own. The weather conditions are not global but localized and vary in functions of the area. To be simple there is no global seasons as we have on Earth but local seasons.
Well, how big would these localities be? I think we might be doing this a very convoluted way here. These localised seasons would be disastrous for any plant trying to spread itself further afield or any traveller trying to go a long distance (whatever their mode of transport).
Not to mention that if 2 adjacent localities were to have different conditions, extreme weather would result.
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
The only thing your idea would mean, is that there would be brief periods of storms and various weather, but seasons? no.
Even if the connections are random they can follow a cycle and generate seasons.
No, that's impossible. You're not going to get a cycle from completely random connections.

Pendragon wrote:
Doesn't Felarya borrow it's suns from other dimensions? I could've sworn Karbo mentioned that somewhere.

Does it do this in a pattern, or is it completely random? Because I can imagine a stable calendar being made from this possible cycle.
Yes it's in the wiki. It selects random suns, but I suppose we could have it select a certain type at certain times of "year."

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:

Well, how big would these localities be? I think we might be doing this a very convoluted way here. These localised seasons would be disastrous for any plant trying to spread itself further afield or any traveller trying to go a long distance (whatever their mode of transport).
If you look the descriptions of the different locations on the wiki you will see each of them have their own climate even the subzone. and when we look the map Imoreith thundra is not at the extreme north of Felarya and it shares its border with many tropical jungle area and forest area with a warmer climate.Of course there is intermediary zone between them which make the change less brutal and allow people to acclimatize to the change.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
No, that's impossible. You're not going to get a cycle from completely random connections.
Not really, the world didn't pass suddenly to a hot summer day to the coldest winter one tomorrow the changes will be slow and progressive even if the world connect to a random sky the new sky will have a climate close to the previous one even if it's different than the previous one. Even if the phenomenon is random it doesn't take in consideration the previous event and change which have been made before.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Quote :
If you look the descriptions of the different locations on the wiki you will see each of them have their own climate even the subzone. and when we look the map Imoreith thundra is not at the extreme north of Felarya and it shares its border with many tropical jungle area and forest area with a warmer climate.Of course there is intermediary zone between them which make the change less brutal and allow people to acclimatize to the change.

explain to me scientifically how this is possible that felary will have seasons. cite your work.

Quote :
Not really, the world didn't pass suddenly to a hot summer day to the coldest winter one tomorrow the changes will be slow and progressive even if the world connect to a random sky the new sky will have a climate close to the previous one even if it's different than the previous one. Even if the phenomenon is random it doesn't take in consideration the previous event and change which have been made before.

since when does felarya connect to random patches of skies from other planets? and cite please.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

Remember altitude as well. The reason Imoreith Tundra is so cold is the same reason Frost Peak is so cold, yet is in the midst of the jungle. Both areas exist at much higher altitudes than their surroundings.

I personally don't really see the need for seasons in Felarya. It just seems strange to me, Felarya being a self contained dimension and all. But if there really must be seasons, I think it would be a series of seasons closer to what an actual jungle would have - mainly a wet and dry season shift. Or, if we go for magical fragmentation, seasons could differ on area. Which could get confusing and leads me to go back to favoring no seasons. If you want a winter area, climb frost peak. You want a rainy jungle season, head to Chidokai or the Torrential Coast. A more temperate, autumn like weather? Maybe try the Dridder or Howling Forest. A hot summer can be found out west.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 pm

yes, but the dimension doesn't mimick an axis. it has no need to, and it's not a sphere anyway.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

You are making a mistake Gwada.
Felarya doesn't connect to skies.
The sky of Felarya connects to a part of space that is the right distance from the sun.
To quote the wiki:
"According to Yarblek, the rift in the skies of Felarya shifts nearly as much as the world itself and observant people will notice that the stars and moons change sometimes, albeit rarely . The rift in the sky actually aligns itself with a random star in the universe to use to heat Felarya"

Also, why would it have to have a climate close to the previous one? (assuming it even does connect to skies, which it doesn't). If it always does then it's not completely random.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
You are making a mistake Gwada.
Felarya doesn't connect to skies.
The sky of Felarya connects to a part of space that is the right distance from the sun.
I don't think so

Anime-Junkie wrote:
"According to Yarblek, the rift in the skies of Felarya shifts nearly as much as the world itself and observant people will notice that the stars and moons change sometimes, albeit rarely . The rift in the sky actually aligns itself with a random star in the universe to use to heat Felarya"
It means Felarya has an axis, so there are seasons.

You forget to quote "Something in the dimensional chemistry of Felarya itself actually controls, to a degree, where the dimension of Felarya will connect to real-space."

So in reality the world is connecting to possible space with a similar environment of its own. In clear to be simple even if you see the same sun in reality they are different star from similar universe of the previous which make the change to look rare. The sun of today is not the sun of tomorrow but even if they are random the connections are following a cycle.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Also, why would it have to have a climate close to the previous one? (assuming it even does connect to skies, which it doesn't). If it always does then it's not completely random.
The answer is in this quote "This is why the rift in the sky always connects to certain sized stars and at a certain distance from them. This keeps Felarya at roughly the same temperature. The same principle applies to the night cycle. The rift will connect to certain sized moons, at a certain distance to maintain Felarya’s tidal cycle and so on. This control in the dimensional chemistry of Felarya could also explain why it seems that only human inhabited worlds get connected to Felarya. The plane of Felarya only seems to connect to worlds with a similar environment to its own. This is most likely a safety measure in place to ensure a natural equilibrium. Given the sheer size of the universe, and the possibility that Felarya can potentially connect to multiple universes… There would still be billions of compatible worlds, stars and moons for Felarya to potentially connect to. "

Random mean pick a value between a scale of possible value. Even if they are random the connection follow a cycle. Why I say there are many skies because the rift potentially connect to different stars at different time and according to its own logic. And due to its ever changing nature the connection can be more localized and makes some are can have its own climate independent of each other but compatible with each other.

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : minor rephrasing)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:51 am

Umm...I think we're reading a little too much into this one. Keep in mind that Felarya is a dimensional plane, not a real planet. I don't know how it could have an axis.

Seasons seem to fall into the same category as time-zones. There's no real way to explain them. Trying to just hurts your brain, and while there are potential solutions, there is never a solution that solves all the potential issues. They just work. Something in the dimensional chemisty of Felarya allows them to work, even though their mechanics can't seem to be adequately explained.

As much as I hate handwaves...when you're dealing with extra-dimensional physics and weather, sometimes you just have to.

EDIT: Also, Felarya doesn't connect to skies. It connects to points in space. As if it were there orbiting the star/moon like a real planet. That's what I always imagined anyway.

EDIT EDIT: Also, keep in mind that the current regions in Felarya are a jungle, a tropical sea and a desert (for the most part). Those kinds of regions tend to have mild seasons anyway. They may get a little cooler....but I don't think the jungle would ever see anything as extreme as snow. I think weather cycles like a "wet season" or "dry season" are much more likely for it than true seasons.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 am

Gwada, you are challenging something which I have long held to be fact about Felarya. In my many discussions with other members I can not recall a time before now where this was taken in question.
Your logic looks very convoluted to me, you are connecting 2 statements I previously held to be separate.

Anyway, on the topic of seasons, I think we should settle with yearly variations in weather. Like rcs619 said; as it stands, none of the current zones have any real need for actual seasons as far as spring, summer winter and autumn go. (It never snows in the jungle).
We don't need a handwave for seasons that we don't need anyway.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 am

Quote :
Trying to just hurts your brain, and while there are potential solutions, there is never a solution that solves all the potential issues.
SCIENTISTS: Where hurting our brains is an art form.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Gwada, you are challenging something which I have long held to be fact about Felarya. In my many discussions with other members I can not recall a time before now where this was taken in question.
Your logic looks very convoluted to me, you are connecting 2 statements I previously held to be separate.

Anyway, on the topic of seasons, I think we should settle with yearly variations in weather. Like rcs619 said; as it stands, none of the current zones have any real need for actual seasons as far as spring, summer winter and autumn go. (It never snows in the jungle).
We don't need a handwave for seasons that we don't need anyway.

This is what I've been saying from the very beginning.

There can't be any actual real season. If any of you even watched the video I posted on the bottom of page 1 it will explain very simply how season work. No axis=no seasons, but that doesn't stop weather storms in the sky and such anyway. So you can still have wet and dry seasons, and weather.

Also look at it this way: if you had seasons come into felarya with each area, then you could have one area be in winter, and the adjacent area be in summer, the hot and warm air's contact would spiral around each other and create massive tornadoes all over felarya.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 10:03 am

I don't see in what it's a handwave there is season as you can find on Earth some countries with different type of climate according to their geographical position. South East of the United States you have a tropical and a subtropical climate if you travel to the North you enter in a continental one with the classical Four seasons. You can have a winter in New York as it's Sunny in Florida.
To conclude yes we can have a winter in some area in Felarya as other keep their equatorial or tropical climates. So In Felarya you can find any type of climate and seasons.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I don't see in what it's a handwave there is season as you can find on Earth some countries with different type of climate according to their geographical position. South East of the United States you have a tropical and a subtropical climate if you travel to the North you enter in a continental one with the classical Four seasons. You can have a winter in New York as it's Sunny in Florida.
To conclude yes we can have a winter in some area in Felarya as other keep their equatorial or tropical climates. So In Felarya you can find any type of climate and seasons.

explain to me how this works will you?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
explain to me how this works will you?

I think you know the answer.

But I will ask you this if an area with a continental climate is added to Felarya which is according to many people is tropical does this area change its climate to become tropical one or keep its original climate Question
Felarya has no axis so the lost of its original axis will have consequence on the new area, right. What will happen to the local flora and fauna Question
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 pm

I feel I must repeat myself here.

I have told everyone consistently how important an axis is, and yet you keep trying to convince me seasons can work without one.

If you think it's possible then do research as I have done, and then cite yourself.

Oldman, where are you when I need your science Sad
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:32 pm

You know Bael, you've been repeating the same argument over and over. I think you need a new one.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
You know Bael, you've been repeating the same argument over and over. I think you need a new one.

boobs!
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Also, trying to make sense out of gwada's lines is the equivalent of playing Sudoku while blindfolded, hanging upside down in a pool full of needles and listening to Slayer non-stop. I have never once understood one word he said.

Last edited by Sean Okotami on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Also, trying to make sense out of gwada's lines is the equivalent of playing Sudoku while blindfolded, hanging upside down in a pull full of needles and listening to Slayer non-stop. I have never once understood one word he said.

thanks for the rescue attempt XD

Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
There's an old saying that if something is repeated often enough, people will begin to believe it. Wink

I’ll got a laugh out of this, straight from the wiki:

“The physical nature of Felarya, its origins, are a highly controversial topic, subject to much debating and heated discussions among mages and scientists alike. Phony theories and far-fetched speculations are rife.”

I think we've proved that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://timing2.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Heh
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 8:54 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
What will happen to the local flora and fauna Question
They will adapt or die. That's Felarya. Razz
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 7:44 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Also, trying to make sense out of gwada's lines is the equivalent of playing Sudoku while blindfolded, hanging upside down in a pool full of needles and listening to Slayer non-stop. I have never once understood one word he said.
ça te dirait d'être mon interprète tu me rendrais une fière chandelle et un grand service à la communauté qui pourras enfin comprendre ce que je dis grace à toi. Vu que tu es bilingue ça ne posera pas trop de problème. Je poste en français et tu traduis. Qu'en dis-tu Wink
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am

Google Translate doesn't do much better, fyi. lol
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
It's not that bad. At least, not for me.
I can usually understand what he's saying after re-reading it a few times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Seasons   Felarya Seasons - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Seasons
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next