Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stories Continuity Errors

Go down 
+7
EdgedWeapon
aethernavale
AisuKaiko
TheLightLost
Pendragon
CauldronBorn24
Shady Knight
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Stories Continuity Errors Empty
PostSubject: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:58 am

This is a repost of my Journal Entry.

This is sort of a tangent and sort of a query. For you writers out there, have there been times when you started, you had this very cool but somewhat vague idea that you transcribed, and then as you gain experience later, you come up with a more solid idea, but it clashes with the previous continuity? This has happened quite a lot to me regarding Felarya - The Land Unknown. It's pretty glaring today, but back then, I had sort of vague or weakly justified ideas that, later, be they through role playing, advices, etc. I came up with a more sound explanation or idea, but it clashes a bit with the previous chapters. Personally, when that happens, I usually edit those older stories. Even recent ideas have been subject to this rule. I'm just wondering, does these kind of errors annoy you and do you edit previous stories to update to your current story ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 pm

To a degree yes; as my ideas for my own story Resurrection have advanced I've had to go back and do multiple re-writes and re-thinks of pervious ideas; hense Chapter I took so damn long to complete. It's nothing new but it can slow progress.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:51 am

Ah, this happens to me all the time. I often have to skim my old stories a dozen times to make sure I don't make errors.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 am

Pendragon wrote:
Ah, this happens to me all the time. I often have to skim my old stories a dozen times to make sure I don't make errors.

Spoiler:

I tell myself to move forward. Its not easy to do.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:07 am

Oh man, I read my story in its entirety tonight, and I noticed a couple

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I try to avoid such problems by keeping true to the intent of the character ideal when I create them, and by keeping a permanent outline. I can go back and review any of the former outlines for my story so as to ensure I keep track during the progression. I like to hinge details across several articles of written work - where a nuance or item might be mentioned in passing previously such that its just background information that later becomes important or is explained in further detail.
Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

PostSubject: Details   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree with aethernavale. You just have to remember the details. If you do mess up, then the best thing to do would to be to find a way around it, like Pendragon, you could say that your character dyes her hair because she can never decide on a colour or something.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 1:54 pm

aethernavale wrote:
where a nuance or item might be mentioned in passing previously such that its just background information that later becomes important or is explained in further detail.
There's a name for that.

And yes, Athernavale's way of writing obviously works well. However I imagine that it doesn't work for everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 pm

I also like having an outline of what I want to write about and how the characters behave in certain situations. Of course, sometimes I have to rethink a couple of things, but none are big details, just little ideas. And I like to review my past stories so there's a bit of coherence in the characters and their actions, too.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:28 pm

And what do you do when you can't write a convincing retcon? I personally rewrite because I tend to prefer the newer explanation or concept. Also, this wasn't much about characters as CONCEPTS. For example, a character joins the army. The first justification is silly, then you come up with a more plausible justification later after you wrote it, what do you do?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 4:49 am

Heh, that's a funny coincidence, considering I've been having this problem so freaking hard, lately. sweatdrop

Personally, I'm unwilling to go back and edit finished stories, despite a lot of events that don't quite mesh up, inconsistent character traits, and even characters who, upon closer inspection, appear to be virtual carbon copies of each other. It's enough that I'm having to sit down and make some detailed outlines and bios, just so that I can keep everything straight and (semi)consistent from now on.

Despite (obviously) not being the best person to ask about this issue, I'd say little details are easily susceptible to the good old 'hand wave and move on'. Bigger stuff requires more creativity, and often a careful look back at what you've actually confirmed, as opposed to just strongly implied. At least for me, there's often been more wiggle room than I initially thought.
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 7:04 am

I have that problem with my charcaters. Granted, as of right now I have three characters who are all around around 300 years old and, being dimensional travelers, have a lot of stuff to go through, but I still share your pain.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BoltAscendent
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stories Continuity Errors   Stories Continuity Errors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stories Continuity Errors
Page 1 of 1