Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

General Q and A - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 1:37 pm

About the Achigates (sp? I mean the snail girls), we know they're similar to Slug Girls, but are they somewhat stretchy like Slug Girls as well? I know that they wouldn't use it to swallow large prey like a Slug Girl, since the Snail Girls are herbivorous, but would they still use it to, for example, eat a large plant or a lot of leaves more quickly?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Are there limits on how much a Felaryan fairy can change the size of something?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Moving   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Nyaha wrote:
This is a question better suited for the General Q and A thread on the general discussion board. This thread seems to be for non-Felarya related questions among being very old, but to avoid repetitive posting I shall answer here.

As a general rule of thumb I believe (someone may correct me if I am wrong) that the largest size an average faerie can change something else to/from is 13ft. This however varies based on the magical resistance that some creatures have and stronger faeries may size change larger things, but to change something to/from giant sizes the fairy would have to be tremendously powerful. This is because a faeries size changing magic is not changing the size of the target so much as rescaling them in proportion to the world around them (please reference faerie magic here ).
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:33 am

This is just me, but I assumed that Achigates just eat all the time. As they move they'd just grab leaves and vegetables from nearby plants and keep moving.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:47 am

I always imagined it as going both ways. Achigates CAN stretch out to gobble large plants, but unless they're feeling lazy they just go around and eat whatever's at reach as they go. You can tell an achigate has passed by because they leave paths of damaged vegetation, or the parts they haven't picked to the branch
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:52 am

Speaking of snail-girls...

Do they use love-darts?
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 2:09 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:

Do they use love-darts?

That's a good question, actually. Since they have separate genders perhaps they shouldn't, but love darts are essentially a trademark of snails and would make them more unique from slug girls.

Plus I find the image of male achigates bragging about it too funny to pass up XD
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:08 am

Slimetoad wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

Do they use love-darts?

That's a good question, actually. Since they have separate genders perhaps they shouldn't, but love darts are essentially a trademark of snails and would make them more unique from slug girls.

Plus I find the image of male achigates bragging about it too funny to pass up XD

Some semislugs/slugs/seaslugs also use darts, it's not necessarily a trademark of one or the other it's just mostly associated with snails as that is what most people know of it. Also, the wiki doesn't mention achigates being of separate genders, is that a development outside of the wiki since you're the one credited with them? I've always assumed that the snails were hermaphrodites as well, given that the real life analog usually is - even though some have a more 'complex' version of such.

I do agree though, regardless of gender association it's amusing to think of them using darts... and it fits with their slow-moving lack-of-interaction ideology.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:32 am

Back in the topic discussing them we decided with giving them genders to differentiate them from slug girls, and because there ARE real-life snail species with males and females. Karbo just didn't explain it in the wiki
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 9:59 am

Slimetoad wrote:
Back in the topic discussing them we decided with giving them genders to differentiate them from slug girls, and because there ARE real-life snail species with males and females. Karbo just didn't explain it in the wiki

I agree there are a few groups with two sexes; but as stated they are in the minority. The vast majority of snails are like slugs in that they are typically hermaphrodites. Probably something to get explicitly put into the wiki then, since I for one thought that carried over.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:30 pm

buddha66667 wrote:
Nyaha wrote:
This is a question better suited for the General Q and A thread on the general discussion board. This thread seems to be for non-Felarya related questions among being very old, but to avoid repetitive posting I shall answer here.

As a general rule of thumb I believe (someone may correct me if I am wrong) that the largest size an average faerie can change something else to/from is 13ft. This however varies based on the magical resistance that some creatures have and stronger faeries may size change larger things, but to change something to/from giant sizes the fairy would have to be tremendously powerful. This is because a faeries size changing magic is not changing the size of the target so much as rescaling them in proportion to the world around them (please reference faerie magic here ).
So the general limit is even smaller than Noob said. Sad That seems a little dumb to me, but if it's a rule, it's a rule...However, the wiki page does not state this.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Quote :
So the general limit is even smaller than Noob said. That seems a little dumb to me, but if it's a rule, it's a rule...However, the wiki page does not state this.

Its just the way size magic ends up working.

Keep in mind, those rules only apply to living things. Inanimate objects can be grown or shrunk by the fairy pretty much at will. It also seems that an inanimate object does not revert back to its original size if a fairy leaves it for a bit. This is likely because, being inanimate, the object has no magical field of its own, and no magical resistances to work counter to the fairy's magic. That's why, for instance, a fairy can grow or shrink or clothes to match her, regardless of her size.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 4:30 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Quote :
So the general limit is even smaller than Noob said. That seems a little dumb to me, but if it's a rule, it's a rule...However, the wiki page does not state this.

Its just the way size magic ends up working.

Keep in mind, those rules only apply to living things. Inanimate objects can be grown or shrunk by the fairy pretty much at will. It also seems that an inanimate object does not revert back to its original size if a fairy leaves it for a bit. This is likely because, being inanimate, the object has no magical field of its own, and no magical resistances to work counter to the fairy's magic. That's why, for instance, a fairy can grow or shrink or clothes to match her, regardless of her size.
Still, I guess it's for the better. ^_^ I can still work with that, yessir, I can.
Back to top Go down
zersergathant
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
zersergathant

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm

This has probably been answered somewhere, maybe even on the wiki, but I can't seem to find that answer.

Why does Melany have antlers and purple skin? I thought she might be a canopy fairy, or a dusk nymph, or some other sort of catalogued fairy sub-species, but I couldn't find anything. She can't just inexplicably be the only fairy with purple skin and antlers, though, so what exactly IS she? Again, I'm aware the answer to this might be right in front of my face, but if it is, I just keep missing it somehow. What's the deal with Melany?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:30 pm

zersergathant wrote:
This has probably been answered somewhere, maybe even on the wiki, but I can't seem to find that answer.

Why does Melany have antlers and purple skin? I thought she might be a canopy fairy, or a dusk nymph, or some other sort of catalogued fairy sub-species, but I couldn't find anything. She can't just inexplicably be the only fairy with purple skin and antlers, though, so what exactly IS she? Again, I'm aware the answer to this might be right in front of my face, but if it is, I just keep missing it somehow. What's the deal with Melany?

I dunno. I asked this before and got no answer.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm

zersergathant wrote:

I think she is an as of now undocumented sub-species and/or tribe.

Her skin coloration, and antlers suggest that she is a different sub-species than normal fairies, and her tattos (which are magical in nature and can be re-arranged at will) suggests that she also belongs to another tribe/racial group.

I don't think Karbo has given an official explanation yet though, and he does have the final say on the matter.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 9:30 pm

The manga referred to her as a "trapper fairy" when she first appeared, but I'm betting that's a title more than a race.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 1:41 am

zersergathant wrote:

Well she just happens to be like this ^^ fairies are really supposed to vary widely in their colorations and they breed a lot with others species too.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 2:01 am

Karbo wrote:
Well she just happens to be like this ^^ fairies are really supposed to vary widely in their colorations and they breed a lot with others species too.

Other species? From your perspective, Karbo, what different species can fairies breed with, aside from elementals? I have a feeling it may differ from the general consensus.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Lobo
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:03 am

For future reference, however unlikely, what is the disclaimer?
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:19 am

Are you referring to this? If so it's a sticky in the New Ideas forum...
Back to top Go down
zersergathant
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
zersergathant

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Karbo wrote:
zersergathant wrote:

I kind of suspected that at the back of my mind, but I was hoping for more of a consistent answer. I mean, if fairies are supposed to widely vary in their coloration, why do they only seem to come in purple (Melany), black (dusk nymphs), and Caucasian (pretty much everyone else)? But I digress. The reason I was asking was because I actually really like the purple skin/tattoos/antlers aesthetic and wanted to make a character in her sub-species, but if she's not actually a part of a sub-species, than that kind of shoots my idea down.

But by that logic, I get the impression that I could make a fairy character who, due to her heritage, has an unusual skin color (purple, blue, yellow, whatever) and other strange features (antlers, oddly-shaped wings, claws, whatever). Is that about right?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Very much so. There is no rules there and fairies are among the creatures that could really have any colors of skin or hair. And as long as it stays reasonnable, adding a few features to them is fine too.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Does this variance apply to Canopy fairies as well? Or do they all look roughly like Subeta?
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:38 pm

I would imagine that canopy fairies are capable of showing variation just like the other fairies to certain extents.

As a relevant aside my mist fairy character Kaede has a very unique coloration and a set of plumose insect antennae. I think as long as you keep 'true' to the 'spirit' of what the fairy type is, you can have fun with the creation, coloration, and style of said fairy character.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 36 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next