Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan Atmosphere(s)

Go down 
+5
Anime-Junkie
Karbo
Slimetoad
TheLightLost
CauldronBorn24
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am

As has been pointed out on the "Description of Great Tree" Thread, for the tree to be as big as it apparently is and still have life at the top the atmosphere must be able to support life at that level. On it's own, this does not happen as beyond 26,246ft the air is simply not dense or warm enough to support life properly.
Simply saying that the Felaryan atmosphere is thicker overall presents problems.
Cauldronborn and I, with some input from rcs619 have come up with a hypothesis of how this might be explained and also explain some other things along the way.

I'm going to outline the idea and Cauldron will fill in the details.

The vast ammount of vegitation found on Felarya would emit an excess of air into the atmosphere; giving the basis for an atmosphere which an support life from sea level to around 30,000 or even above 40,000 feet depending on location.

What we propose is that the magical effect of the soil and presence of plants (because they directly connected to said soil) cause a localized expansion in the interdimensional film that surrounds all of Felarya causing the atmosphere to expand. A theory for the cause for this expasion is that each molecule of gas emitted by the plants contain residue magic which ineracts with the film, constantly pushing it away; it is also thought that some form of equilibrium has or will be reached to stop a run away effect. This increase in volume; thus the pressure will equalize as Felarya is a closed system; while atmospheric pressure will be overall greater to that found on Earth jungle regions would exhbit greater atmospheric pressure than other areas.

What this means is that a large mass of plant-life like a forest, would increase the maximum life supporting height of the atmosphere, and to a lesser extent a mountain. So a plant like the Great Tree would have a massive effect on the atmosphere around it, enabling life to exist at greater heights than would otherwise be possible. However areas such as deserts would have a thinner atmosphere and lower air pressure; these regions lack the extensive vegitation needed to expand both the volume and the ammount of gas in the atmosphere.

As different regions of Felarya have their own atmospheres with their own volumes and pressures the atmosphere overall would try to equalize. However as there pressure fronts meet vast storm fronts are created as the massive volumes of air interact with each other. These storms are fixed as the different air pressure zones are fixed and thus appear as localised features, notably in the Great Rocky Plains and Torrential Cost. While theroies based on the different pressure fronts meeting eachother can expalin what triggered these storms no one knows when or if they will eventually blow out.

As pressure fronts seem to be fixed in Felarya and air currents have yet to be observed; standard weather patterns do not exist, rather localised weather has been observed. There are several theories as to what can cause this from micro pressure fronts interacting to from localised weather fronts; to condensing humidity, both seem valid reasons for causing local rainfall.

Credit goes to Anime-Junkine and CauldronBorn24

Last edited by CauldronBorn24 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 am

Impressive.

I'm glad you guys made some sense of this.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Very thought-on stuff here, I like .o.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:07 am

Sadly my knowledge in Physics and science is very thin sweatdrop
but even then I can see that this idea has a lot of merit. Not only you offer a credible explanation as to why life is possible at such heights, but you also go on explaining the storms of the great rocky fields and others places. Great job Razz
Now what do you think a higher air pressure would mean in practice for the residents of the jungle ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 am

That's something that came up in the discussion Cauldron and I had when working out this idea. I don't think it would have that much of an effect on life in the area.
The pressure difference doesn't seem that big because it's distributed almost evenly over the effected area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 am

Karbo wrote:
Sadly my knowledge in Physics and science is very thin sweatdrop
but even then I can see that this idea has a lot of merit. Not only you offer a credible explanation as to why life is possible at such heights, but you also go on explaining the storms of the great rocky fields and others places. Great job Razz
Now what do you think a higher air pressure would mean in practice for the residents of the jungle ?

Providing the pressure does not exceed a certain level, around 3.5 atmospheres, we should be ok as our bodies will counteract the pressure outside, if we couldn't survive an increase in pressure we wouldn't be able to scuba dive more than 10ft under the water, alough new comers may find it harder to breath at first. I'd say the pressure would range from 1.2 to 2.4 atmospheres depending which region you are in. Another side effect of increased pressure is that boiling temperatures are increased, I suppose this helps keeps the humidity at bareable levels but if you want to make a cuppa it will be fustrating Razz
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Higher pressure at the same average temperature implies the air is more dense (by the Ideal Gas Law); the fact that this extra air is coming from loads of plants implies that it is more oxygen rich than "normal" air. Both these factors help make it easier for winged creatures to actually fly, as it allows them to lift more per stroke and get more oxygen per breath, but it also means that winds will do more damage and fires will burn more fiercely.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Higher pressure at the same average temperature implies the air is more dense (by the Ideal Gas Law); the fact that this extra air is coming from loads of plants implies that it is more oxygen rich than "normal" air. Both these factors help make it easier for winged creatures to actually fly, as it allows them to lift more per stroke and get more oxygen per breath, but it also means that winds will do more damage and fires will burn more fiercely.

Indeed, there is the problem about the oxygen rich nature of the atmosphere however Felarya is full of ginats that would require massive ammounts of oxygen Razz . However with all the water around you can imagen that the air in most areas of Felarya would be constantly humid and thus not necessairly the best conditions to start a raging forest fire. While forest fires are a danger, I suppose the likes of the Guardians will keep them under control, afterall their role is to maintain a balanced eco system.

I did work on explanations for temperature and why areas are colder or warmer than others, but that has a lot to do with Felaryan interdimensional physics more than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm really loving that idea, personnaly ^^
Great work on that guys Razz
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 6:12 pm

That and Magic, because there always is.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:10 am

I added that part in the giant tree page ^^
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:10 pm

you spelled AJ's name "Anime-Junkine" are we implying he's actually a girl? :O

Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 4:18 pm

fixed ^^;
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

hmmm...so then this concerns me a bit. humans cant get hypoxia. or any other symptoms with pressure. in saying this, u can essentially glide around most parts of Felarya (if your lucky) without having the fear of having to deal with oxygen and in-flight symptoms at certain sea levels (as most pilots do)or oxygen support of some sort. also saying this. i can fly higher then I'm used to here on earth right?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 6:08 pm

ravaging vixens wrote:
i can fly higher then I'm used to here on earth right?
Yes.
The purpose of this explanation/idea was to allow for the Giant Tree and other huge landforms to be really really big while still being able to support life at their peaks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Atmosphere(s)   Felaryan Atmosphere(s) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan Atmosphere(s)
Page 1 of 1