Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mercenaries

Go down 
+16
ZionAtriedes
Jasconius
Feadraug
Pendragon
Archmage_Bael
Cowrie
MrNobody13
Shady Knight
Anime-Junkie
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
CauldronBorn24
Malahite
EdgedWeapon
rcs619
ravaging vixen
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Mercenaries - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Jasconius wrote:
I would think a tattoo would be better, as it can be easily hidden to those not belonging to ones mercenary group. You wouldn't want prying eyes to know who you are.
A problem being, well, Tattoos are a bit more "permanent" in many cases. Also, technically, much harder to hide (mostly for that reason).
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 pm

I could always fall back on a badge sewed onto a shirt or something underneath their coat if I really want, though if they have the time to show something like that, its an opportunity that can be exploited. However, A "calling card" (I think that's the right word, something left behind at a scene for evidence) wouldn't really suit much either, and is already kind of an overdone concept.

Though they'd need some kind of identification. I guess they could always get some kind of identification glyph thing. Some kind of glyph that acts like a "network" and will detect other glyphs, that way it's harder to forge, and is a little bit more unique than a calling card, tattoo, or badge placed somewhere on the body.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Perhaps a modified version of the "Blinded One" mark?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Eh not really, that's just a magic-enhanced brand that can't disappear.

I mean a glyph, some kind of magical imprint somewhere on their body that reacts to the user, or maybe causes some kind of feeling or "magic sight" when they want to find another member (imagine an arrow over your ally's head appearing in your vision, like that of a waypoint on your HUD in video games Razz). Or something similar, point being it would be some kind of magic symbol that's not really engraved on the skin, but more just "there".
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 am

Ravaging_vixens : Please tell me if you agree with the disclaimer ? ( https://felarya.forumotion.com/t1452-disclaimer-updated )
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:27 am

I don't see why you would need to hide your identification. but the magic glyph thing isn't a bad alternative.infact rather than making it the alternative why not just add it on for a mercenary to show their true colors. The IFF i'd say is more on how the Unit organizes itself,as you got different ones being, magic enhanced to the brink, tech savy enough to for some individual to have a neural interface in their brain to make a more amplified natural IFF marker. Or in the less common case of both being simultaneously used.

point being, everybody has their own way of showing something, but the emblem on some article of clothing or the magic glyph would most likely be the most common.

EDIT:Too Karbo, yeah totally. that's what i made it for lol. I'm much obliged for the way the disclaimer works,and have no issues as of yet with my work being official canon in the universe of Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:33 am

I agree with Vixens here, why would they need to hide their identification? if they're doing a job, they probably want people to see who they are so when they're doing it people know who they are. You can't build a reputation if nobody knows you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
I agree with Vixens here, why would they need to hide their identification? if they're doing a job, they probably want people to see who they are so when they're doing it people know who they are. You can't build a reputation if nobody knows you.
Because not every job is one that entails broadcasting who you are / work for? Especially if it potentially involves ticking off people in power / with influence, or the people in a place you might have to go again?

Don't get me wrong, there's times to show it off (Ex: If you're protecting a caravan from a Kensha Beast pack, you'll want them to know who saved their skin). There's other times wherein you might even want a few low-level glamours on your mercs to prevent anyone from potentially recognizing their faces.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 am

Quote :
Because not every job is one that entails broadcasting who you are / work for? Especially if it potentially involves ticking off people in power / with influence, or the people in a place you might have to go again?

well in a later post i was going to explain that. but in the NMRB you kinda do have to show yourself every time your employed as you are a mercenary. Its is essentially at the mercenaries and employers risk to do something like that if they want future contracts and negotiations from that person/faction again. For the people in power part. unless you want to be classified as rouged and to heavily disrupt anything which make negav a city. you would be digging your own grave more than just as the job of being a mercenary.which i can say respectively, infamy is part of the business. There's no possible way you cannot have it, but you can be more noble than most out of it.

Now to example this. say your unit were hired by vishmitals to disrupt a mining operation which so happened to affiliated with the magiocrats. The mercenaries do their work. They come back to negav and are asked by police why the heck they did that in the first place. The head of that unit can broadcast that the employer put it up as a contract and and can basically hand wave their way out of the problem, putting all tides on employer. But this doesn't stop from having sudden attacks from another sense of direction. Such as the families miners or some person up there who wanted vengeance on the mercenary unit and decided to attack them instead of having a softer approach, such as negotiation.(rather brash thing to do though.) Course that all depends on the emotional level of others when you do an action like that, kind of like life.

which is why if you were ever to be a mercenary, think before you act for the betterment of your employment and reputation.

EDIT: well acutally, the contracts thing is rather blunt. Employers usually set it up openly so that they can see the differences and performance between Units, though sending them privately isn't out of the question. As the employer can have a strong liking to a specific unit. its up to the mercenary unit itself to tell who their employers are during an operation. Most often they will broadcast when their contract is over for more opportunities with others employers.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:51 pm

I would imagine that even though a lot of mercs would join the big "merc gangs" for the sure shot at pay and added security, it wouldn't be too uncommon to see a couple people lending out their services without associating with the big guns. Kinda what Mal said on the first page about "unregistered" mercs. (I say this because I wrote a short story, which frankly I think is the best piece of work I've done yet, that includes two such independent mercenaries.)

Though the idea of basic regulation makes sense, it also stands to reason that mercenaries are much less regulated than a private army or military organization. A lot of stuff could fall through the cracks. Surely there are feuds, secretive operations, sabotage, blackmail, and all that good cloak-and-dagger shit you'd expect from the seedier elements of society. Not saying there aren't a few upstanding mercenaries, but doubtless there are others who aren't. There's no way to regulate them all.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:39 pm

i did say there were a independents.IF that's not in the wiki then I'm dissapointed, as Felarya is vast so are its in inhabitants. i made the NMRBC as way to bring all of them into one center of trade and communication. Such as Negav and other large locale spots; But as regard to politics, u can contract the mercenary to do whatever needs. But as an employer and head CO of a unit, you should see consequences followed.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 3:35 pm

ravaging vixens wrote:
i did say there were a independents.IF that's not in the wiki then I'm dissapointed, as Felarya is vast so are its in inhabitants. i made the NMRBC as way to bring all of them into one center of trade and communication. Such as Negav and other large locale spots; But as regard to politics, u can contract the mercenary to do whatever needs. But as an employer and head CO of a unit, you should see consequences followed.
The idea of "independents" is touched on in the wiki article, though it says they're painted as pirates or rogues. What I meant was that in a place as large as Negav, there would probably be more than a couple small groups and gangs that slip past the usual channels without drawing too much ire.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:29 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
ravaging vixens wrote:
The idea of "independents" is touched on in the wiki article, though it says they're painted as pirates or rogues. What I meant was that in a place as large as Negav, there would probably be more than a couple small groups and gangs that slip past the usual channels without drawing too much ire.

If they aren't properly registered, then they are little more than hired thugs, as far as most people are concerned. They could exist, but they are not going to be looked upon highly, and aren't going to get the same treatment as legitimate mercenary groups.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 5:12 pm

rcs619 wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
ravaging vixens wrote:

If they aren't properly registered, then they are little more than hired thugs, as far as most people are concerned. They could exist, but they are not going to be looked upon highly, and aren't going to get the same treatment as legitimate mercenary groups.
I'm not disagreeing. I said that my main reason for bringing up independents was because I wrote a story with two of them. Angus and Malkus were hired thugs in almost every sense of the word.

The advantages, though, would be that such thugs are probably cheaper, and draw less attention.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:08 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
ravaging vixens wrote:

I'm not disagreeing. I said that my main reason for bringing up independents was because I wrote a story with two of them. Angus and Malkus were hired thugs in almost every sense of the word.

The advantages, though, would be that such thugs are probably cheaper, and draw less attention.

Oh yeah, probably tons cheaper. I wonder though, if non-registered merc screw up badly, could their employer wind up in trouble too. For financing criminals or some such thing.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Well if any mercenary group is caught breaking the law, and due to some areas having their own local laws and enforcement the law can differ widely, then they and their employer must deal with the conscequences; the mercenaries for the act of breaking the law and the employer for ordering it. Most law enforcement bodies may just settle for charging the mecenaries if for some reason they can't trace the contract. It will not be uncommom to find certain mercenary groups are wanted by different law enforcement bodies; usually the different citizen militas. Hiring such a group is still possible under the NMRBC however they will state that it comes with the added risk.

As for branding any mercenary group as bandits and such that again is generally determined by the law enforcement bodies, the NMRBC will only act if they find any serious breaches of contract. Any mercenary group can be branded as bandits in some part or all of Negav if they break they law, I highly doubt the law enforcement are going to view them otherwise. Unregistared mercenary groups can opperate without fear of being arrested/shot at providing they aren't wanted for anything. However a larger unregistared mercenary group may find itself being classed as bandits as most security groups will get a bit suspicious/nervous of a large group of unregulated armed individuals.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Well, I'm not too familiar with merc groups anyway, so if anyone has an idea that can be used to 'spice up' SAaRC I'm all ears.

Though SAaRC, being what they are, might accept a contract to take down another merc group. Though that might anger some other merc groups (or not, I don't know how mercs behave politically in that sort of situation), due to some mis-guided sense of still working for the government. Though I'm not sure if they'd actually do that.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Well, I'm not too familiar with merc groups anyway, so if anyone has an idea that can be used to 'spice up' SAaRC I'm all ears.

Though SAaRC, being what they are, might accept a contract to take down another merc group. Though that might anger some other merc groups (or not, I don't know how mercs behave politically in that sort of situation), due to some mis-guided sense of still working for the government. Though I'm not sure if they'd actually do that.

heh heh heh, well mercs in their own political view of that, would most likely accept that as a challenge if the challenger isn't a rouge unit. Infact i'd imagine that they'll settle with each other examples of:Commanders/chosen personel having a duel, money being wagered on a match in the "arena" each side representing an individual for the match. Or if the said mercenaries are really up for it,having an open confrontation most likely somewhere outside negav/other big places.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:37 am

ravaging vixens wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:

heh heh heh, well mercs in their own political view of that, would most likely accept that as a challenge if the challenger isn't a rouge unit. Infact i'd imagine that they'll settle with each other examples of:Commanders/chosen personel having a duel, money being wagered on a match in the "arena" each side representing an individual for the match. Or if the said mercenaries are really up for it,having an open confrontation most likely somewhere outside negav/other big places.
Well, the way I see it, mercs would all differ. So saying they have a certain political view is being too broad.

I know that even in the real world, there are genuine paramilitary groups that operate with set protocols and laws. In Felarya, I'd imagine they exist there too. But going along with those legitimate groups would be the gangs, the thugs, the assassins. The world of hired help has its dark side, too. Negav can't be completely regulated. There has to be a niche for the unsavories.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:

I know that even in the real world, there are genuine paramilitary groups that operate with set protocols and laws. In Felarya, I'd imagine they exist there too. But going along with those legitimate groups would be the gangs, the thugs, the assassins. The world of hired help has its dark side, too. Negav can't be completely regulated. There has to be a niche for the unsavories.

Of course there would be; JT came up with a group which fits that bill nicely. While such groups may opperate outside of or may not be known to the NMRBC they will most likely known to the law enforcment and security agencies. How would they survive? For some of the larger groups they may be able to keep the local citizen milita at bay or they infact are the local citizen milita; while they may also be politically connected to ensure the likes of the Negav Police, VISA or the Investigators don't come knocking on their door. Other groups won't be so lucky and will be at risk of having the police or milita breathing down their necks.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 pm

CauldronBorn24 wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:

Of course there would be; JT came up with a group which fits that bill nicely. While such groups may opperate outside of or may not be known to the NMRBC they will most likely known to the law enforcment and security agencies. How would they survive? For some of the larger groups they may be able to keep the local citizen milita at bay or they infact are the local citizen milita; while they may also be politically connected to ensure the likes of the Negav Police, VISA or the Investigators don't come knocking on their door. Other groups won't be so lucky and will be at risk of having the police or milita breathing down their necks.
I mean smaller groups especially, or very loose conglomerations. Large groups attract attention, but a "crew" or two isn't worth the time. You know, independent businessmen with a few guns and trigger-fingers.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 pm

As I said before a that would work providing they keep a low profile.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 am

I still don't understand the concept of mercenaries in this thread.

It seems everyone's ideas are conflicting in a pretty awkward way.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:42 am

Pendragon wrote:
I still don't understand the concept of mercenaries in this thread.

It seems everyone's ideas are conflicting in a pretty awkward way.

Ok the Negav Mercenary Review Board Commisson or NMRBC acts as a middle man between mercenaries and potential employers; sort of like those comparison websites; it just makes things easier if you want to hire a mercenary group, there are also perks for a group to registar under the NMRBC.

You'd also have unregisatered mercenary groups, some may be small timers and others large criminal gangs; such groups will be generally classed as bandit groups by law enforcement agenices or even the NMRBC. The smaller ones which Zion was asking about however may slip under the radar and remain indepented; free of harassment from the police or ciziten militas.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 am

Okay, that clears things up pretty nicely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mercenaries   Mercenaries - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mercenaries
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: New ideas-
Jump to: