Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elemental Weapons

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Elemental Weapons

The typical elemental will take a form that mimics that of a living organism, be it a man, lizard, or any other creature that one can think of. Others will choose less recognizable forms, such as with the murmuras. Some, however, choose to take the form of a weapon, ranging from swords to maces to halberds. This choice of form is rarely chosen though, save for when the elementals themselves are at war, such as when the titans attacked them thousands of years ago.

Considered far superior to any armament built by mortals, and with only weapons created by demons or celestials being of comparable prestige, these weapons are infused with the elements themselves. This can make them extremely powerful, such as elemental weapon formed from a fire elemental being able to literally "slash-and-burn" anything in its path, but at the same time possessing great weaknesses, such as being highly ineffective, even vulnerable, to anything water-based. Another downside, at least from a humanoids perspective, is that most elemental weapons tend to be fit for a giant's size and are thus unusable by the smaller races. They are able to alter the size slightly, however, in order to adjust to their owner's stature.

One of the unique characteristics of these is that they are still sapient despite their form. They are fully capable of holding conversations with the wielders, albeit telepathically, as long as they are within close proximity to them. Even with their intelligence, they are unable to wield themselves and thus must be used by another, most commonly by other elementals of the same element as they are. They are considered a weapon of choice for them, despite their rarity.

A spirit choosing to become an elemental weapon is rare, save for when, as mentioned beforehand, during times of war. This is due to the many limitations it comes with, such as an inability to to move on their own, feed, or talk to others in general. It is also very difficult to change from this body, more so than usual, thus it is often viewed as a permanent choice. Some still do it, however, for the common good of the elemental community during the rare times of war.

Elemental weapons are at their strongest when surrounded by their element of choice. They can draw power from their surroundings, and, if damaged, can repair themselves near instantaneously if the necessary materials are available. When surrounded by their opposite element, such as water for fire, they become weak and more easily damaged, and the elementals themselves feel drained and tired until they are out of the proximity of their "polar opposite".

While generally neutral, there have been legends of elemental weapons that have influenced their owners, be it for good or evil. Some have even apparently sought out only the most skilled of warriors, seeing them as the only ones being worthy of wielding them.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:07 pm

I think elemental weapons would be possible, but not in the form you describe. No elemental is going to turn themselves intoa weapon like that. I can see elemental spirits being bound to weapons against their will though. Only an extremely powerful mage working with a master of masters blacksmith would be able to do it though.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:14 pm

They sound more like artifacts, or weapons an alchemist with way too much time on his hand would make. Not an actual creature.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:46 pm

I'll have to agree with AJ that it seems strange that any elemental would decide "you know what? I want to be totally immobile for my entire life! Except when some person I may or may not know is swinging me wildly around. Fun!"

Perhaps a particularly skilled shifting elemental could turn itself, temporarily, into a weapon - but the only reason I can see for this is if they are for some reason very weak in combat... otherwise, why not just torch/zap/crush etc?

But yes, considering the sheer power of elementals, I'm sure that more than one mage has tried creating a weapon out of one, or binding one to a weapon - you get the power of an elemental without the constant bother of having to bind it.

Actually, now that you mention the Titans... maybe when the Titans and Elementals fought, considering how hard it is to actually "kill" an elemental, this became the fate of many of the fallen elementals, turned into weapons for the Titans? It would be a humiliating defeat but also useful if used right - a water-elemental sword would probably be just the thing to beat a fire elemental.

@Sean - they are elemental weapons - the spirit of the element is within the weapon. Within the parameters of what an elemental is, yes, they are one and a creature.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 7:02 pm

You really need to disagree with all I say, don't you? The way Jasconius presented it is "An Elemental who decided to take the form of a weapon." To me, that translates to a mass of living flames shaped like an axe, and not an axe housing a mass of living flame.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
You really need to disagree with all I say, don't you? The way Jasconius presented it is "An Elemental who decided to take the form of a weapon." To me, that translates to a mass of living flames shaped like an axe, and not an axe housing a mass of living flame.

Yes, I do have to disagree with what you say when it is an invalid point.

You made the statement that this idea was closer to an artifact than to a creature.

Regardless of shape or form, something with an elemental spirit is still an elemental.

These weapons, regardless of how we look at them, are based on having an elemental spirit inhabiting them.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 7:27 pm

I just see them as more weapon than elemental. I just can't see them being classified as elementals.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I agree with this.
Weapons are usually made of metal or stone (yes wood comes into it but the business end of axes, swords, guns etc, is metal) this means that a fire elemental would have to either a) be an axe made of living fire like sean said or they would have to use an unfamiliar element (unless earth elemental). Obviously, the more likely is the former.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Pim18
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Pim18

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

I think this is a briiliant idea.
It would explain the elemental affinity most weapons have in RPG's
The ability to communicate with your weapon is also interesting for storylines!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elemental Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elemental Weapons   Elemental Weapons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elemental Weapons
Page 1 of 1