Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Water Elemental

Go down 
+3
Anime-Junkie
Stabs
Malnorm
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Malnorm
Tasty morsel
Malnorm

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 am

Alright, so I am a writer on DeviantArt, and I happened to make a character that is unlike what has been seen in felarya. Now I have more of them, and Karbo actually suggested considering adding them to this branch of Felarya races. So I thought I would bring it up here.

Naiad

"Is that something like a Dryad?"

Naiads are water based beings, made up of water and able to melt into any source of water as well as forming their own. It was not altogether too uncommon for a traveler to fall asleep beside a pond and to find a girl sitting close to them the next day, the pond completely dry.

Naiads are also able to shift between their 'human' forms and that of a half bodied giantess by temporarily drawing upon the water in the environment around them. This form is often described as a blue giantess who seems to grow out of the ground from the waist up. Anything like a branch or limb that is in the way will simply pass through their bodies.

Because their lives are so dependent on water, Naiads rarely ever leave a place unless either their fear kicks in or unless there is a guarantee that water can be found along the way.

Naiads are mono-phobic; they have an almost paralyzing fear of being alone for any length of time. Because of this little quirk, Naiads are known for kidnapping people and holding them against their will just so that they will have someone within touching distance of them. This fear is believed to be caused by the fact that Naiads will more often than not share a pond or source of water with other Naiads, bringing a close proximity awareness that would make personal space type people squeamish.

Naiads are not predators per say. Every Naiad does contain a digestive enzyme within them that allows them to process insects or fish that happen across their water. When a Naiad grows in size, the enzyme becomes more concentrated, focusing inside of them so that they can in fact digest a person if they so choose. However, mono-phobia often keeps passerby from ending up as a meal.

Like their Dryad counterparts, Naiads are able to connect to other Naiads by a mental network, although the limitations have yet to be explained.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 am

Hm... Malnorm.

As it has been used as far as I read, I have a problem with naiads- namely, that anything that powerful shouldn't be on a stranger's side. I remember one of them nomming a giant slug girl, and another water elemental, after all- that sounds a little too much. Felarya's safe enough as it is.

However, those details have not been reproduced here. So we have instead monophobic dwellers of water features. Without the power to kill great predators, I believe they'd be just fine.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 am

Agreed, it is a bit much.
In addition their mono-phobia makes no sense considering that they would never be alone if they can communicate like dryads can. It seems tacked on to ensure that you can pair them with a human character. They are also too similar to slimoids, abeit in a much limited form from what you're described.

In conclusion, I'd say these are just a slightly different take on a species we already have. Just use slimoids.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am

Well from what it sounds like a Naiad is very similar to both a slimoid and a water elemental, which makes me think about the relationship between them.

Also, does it mean that a passerby can take a swim in a lake and get digested for being "inside" the Naiad so to speak?

Also, Dryads aren't the only ones with a Psionic-similar ability. Though we shouldn't just use that as an excuse. They get a human form right? Couldn't they just talk normally? (even if underwater, mermaids can do that somehow.)

Though the predator killing can be dealt with various ways, it would take an awful lot of a Naiad's water to digest a giant predator.
Back to top Go down
Malnorm
Tasty morsel
Malnorm

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Well, this are good points, but there are quirks to them that keeps them from being protectors, as well as quirks in their behavior.

Also, you'll have to forgive me, because I simply copy/pasted from my Naiads Bio which is quite a few months old when I made the original post.

For one, they aren't exactly on anyone's side. They actually prefer to keep to stay in their ponds, and plus the nomming of the slug girl wasn't lethal in the first place, due to the Naiad's personality and the consistency of her own body in her giantess form. That was merely due to the fact that it was a Naiad from another world, whcih in turn is beginning a race of Felaryan Naiads, who can actually be as predatory as any of the other Larger Predators, depending on how they are taught after they are first created, as demonstrated by Sophia in my Naiad Chronicles on DeviantArt. The bit with the Water Elemental was simply because the two of them were of the same element, and only a Mother Naiad

Monophobia, in truth, can't be settled by a simple mental link. With the Naiads, it has to be ensured in a sense of having someone physically present, even another Naiad. If they pair up together, they are perfectly fine and don't need anyone or anything else. Problem is solved easily that way.

Also, in regards to Archmage Bael's comment, it would depend on whether the Naiad in question that was being swam in has had contact with a predatory to learn about Humans or whether they had actually met a human first. Most likely it will be the first.
Back to top Go down
Canada's Mike
Tasty morsel
Canada's Mike

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I think it's a great idea, i think i read this a long time ago on deviantart
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Mike, please develop. Just saying "It's a good idea" does nothing for the writer, you have to say why it is a good idea. The same way that others before have said why it was a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Just going to leave this here.
Water Elemental Threadomancer_by_sparkythechu-d5an2ki
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BoltAscendent
Canada's Mike
Tasty morsel
Canada's Mike

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Sorry

Well first I think that the mono-phobic part was a very interesting idea and would be great for writers is they featured Naiads in there story's, I know there are allot of talented writers out there.
The mono-phobic probably one of the greater and more unique things that this species brings to the table as far as interesting unique features go (swear if someone tells me there is another mono-phobic character/creature out there). Also the part with the "shifting" seemed like a very cool feature and quite frankly I hope these guys get a spot on the wiki even if it's in the minor races category.

Also I appreciated the amount of detail Very Happy
Hope that's a better response!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Water Elemental Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Elemental   Water Elemental Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water Elemental
Page 1 of 1