Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Naval Vehicles

Go down 
+9
vore4life99
Shady Knight
AisuKaiko
luke112
Zillachary
aethernavale
Jætte_Troll
Anime-Junkie
Axel Hunter
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vore4life99
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
vore4life99

Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:03 am

A enclosed jet ski with sonar eqiuped bottem sie?
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 am

A question though, why would any one go onto the oceans in less than a battle ships, honestly with the giant animals on land, hunting them would ironically almost be safer, the risk of fishing with a friendly giant pred to keep the area safe your practically just throwing your life away. But an idea on sonic weapons, I wonder if a sonic torpedo is out of the question?
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Well, to be honest I would go on the waters no matter how much anyone paid me. I can't swim as fast as I can run, and on land at least I have cover to hide under, which gives me at least a better chance at survival. Even a battleship wont do any good. Battleships can't fire underwater, destroyers have depth charges, but those are largely inaccurate and plus, giant mermaids aren't made out of metal, it'd be harder to detect them without some kind of long range thermal detection system.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

ooh depth charges would do havoc to biological's, hitting the target wouldn't be too hard. This would be a case of horse shoes and hand gernaids! only they work even better underwater.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Keep in mind the giant mermaid is also not a slow moving massive hunk of metal, mermaids can turn and swim with elegance in the water, if she sees a depth charge falling that means "get out of the way" and she'll swim away really fast. Also, once that battleship sinks, the crew is completely screwed. Far harder to hide out in the open sea.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:39 pm

oh I agree, they can move and maneuver, just remember that larger biological organisms are slower than small ones, this is squared in water. Also explosions carry farther in water than in air, this means that even if they don't hit her than can hurt her fairly badly and that would certainly give one second thoughts.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Quote :
Even a battleship wont do any good. Battleships can't fire underwater,

True, although the main benefit would be that a battleship would be too big, too heavy and too armored for a mermaid to be able to do anything too. Assuming it had the fuel, it could go just about anywhere it wanted.

Quote :
giant mermaids aren't made out of metal, it'd be harder to detect them without some kind of long range thermal detection system.

Metal has nothing to do with it. A mermaid is still a very large object in the water, and sonar would pinpoint her just fine. Thermal scopes don't work good with the ocean because of how cold the water is anyway, and the fact that fish tend to be cold-blooded. A mermaid would have a thermal signature, sure, being warm-blooded and all...but still, sonar would pick her up fine.

Quote :
Keep in mind the giant mermaid is also not a slow moving massive hunk of metal, mermaids can turn and swim with elegance in the water, if she sees a depth charge falling that means "get out of the way" and she'll swim away really fast. Also, once that battleship sinks, the crew is completely screwed. Far harder to hide out in the open sea.

Giant mermaids may be much faster and more agile than a creature their size would be on Earth, but it isn't like they are excessively agile. Most of their speed comes from the fact that they are just so big. Honestly, with how loud and frightening as a depth charge would be underwater, you wouldn't even need a direct hit. It would send the signal that she should leave. Warships also tend to carry torpedoes as well...which she wouldn't be able to outrun, and would be quite lethal. They can either use sonar to track and chase a target (and she'd be the biggest sonar signature for quite a ways), or they can be wire-guided.

Also, its not like a battleship would be easy to sink. If she poked up above the water, the guns would get her. She would need to come from below, and sonar would be able to detect her a long ways off. Depth charges and torpedoes are more than enough to deter or kill a mermaid. Not sure she could even damage the hull of the ship anyways, even if she got in close.

But really, a lot of this is a non-issue, since a heavily armed and armored battleship, or other such capital ship, isn't going to be found anywhere in Felarya. The materials and fuel for it would just be too great.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 am

Oh my god we went from graceful sailing ships to war machines. THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND, THIS ISNT A WARZONE!
Back to top Go down
http://foreverknight13.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 am

Of course not, but it isn't a buffet either.
Humans and human sized characters need defences, be they magic or mundane, to survive.
Without defences ships would just be packaged meals for mermaids.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:52 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:

Without defences ships would just be packaged meals for mermaids.

of couse, but this world isn always vore and we dont need to blow every aquatic creature out of the water like we do here on earth
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 am

Axel, I think you're reading into this the wrong way.
Ships aren't going to go around hunting sea creatures, it's a waste of time and resources. Their defensive weapons are simply defensive.
Depth charges aren't going to kill a mermaid most of the time, just make her go away. Killing the mermaid would be worse as the blood would draw other creatures, possibly dooming the ship.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 am

well to be fair the depth charges would draw ALOT of attention from far afield.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Axel, I think you're reading into this the wrong way.
Ships aren't going to go around hunting sea creatures, it's a waste of time and resources.

That wasnt what I was referring to, its the"methods of defence" that got me concerned (I prefer both sides stay alive)

and the fact the subject changed from just simple ships of transportation to defensive measures (which was my fault considering I mentioned it in the first place)
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 am

Hm. World full of giant, man-eating monsters hell-bent on having you in their belly.

Nah, who needs defense?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 am

Zion, lay off. Axel knows his error.

Oh and Axel, in most cases they predators would live.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Zion, lay off. Axel knows his error.

no need to worry, LOL, that was a good tension breaker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Naval Vehicles   Felarya Naval Vehicles - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Naval Vehicles
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2