Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It

Go down 
+14
Stabs
ZionAtriedes
Grave
Anime-Junkie
Feadraug
Pendragon
Krisexy26
AisuKaiko
rcs619
Slimetoad
Jætte_Troll
Karbo
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Cliff, for God's sake, keep the harsh language to a minimum. It's not okay when others do it, and it's not okay when you do it. It's never okay. There is never a good excuse for that.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:16 pm

rcs619 wrote:
[
Oh shut the fuck up with that shit. All you did was lock a thread that everone liked and was actually doing some good.

No matter how you try and justify yourself, all you've done is make things worse. Again.

The whole, fucking, goddamn, point of that fucking thread was for people to get over their issues by TALKING and GETTING TO KNOW one another. So that this kind of shit DOESN'T KEEP HAPPENING. Do you realize the horrendous irony of locking a thread that was designed to promote COMMUNICATION? ...and without even saying anything beforehand.

@ Aisu: Ehh, maybe. It was worth it though. Besides, it was only a matter of time before they took away my chat-mod rights too. The attempt to discredit, destroy and twist everything I do is just starting, it seems. It'll all work out in the end though. I have the moral highground here.

Yeah well I didn't said anything when I replied to this thread because I thought it was better to not bring that up at this time, and let a chance for a sereine discussion... But the fact is those little barbs you slipped in *did* bothered me, especially that way you presented them at the "fait accompli".
If you want to make a thread about better communication, you better stay neutral about it otherwise you defeat its purposes from the start....
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:23 pm

lets be respectful folks.

and cliff, im not mad at you for banning me without a good reason from the chat.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:25 pm

I see things have become frazzled in my absence.

As advised, I took a bit of a vacation from the forums, and I've calmed down and had time to think about what had been said and done. And well, I've now arrived to see the situation is getting rather messy. Cliff, you and Kris obviously have some massive feud going on, but the problem is that you both keep lighting eachother's fires and the flame never goes out. Someone has to be the first to come out and stop the chain from reigniting itself. I just wish someone would do it soon before words are said that can't be taken back.

Karbo, I truly am sorry if things are becoming stressful. I don't know how it feels to have to deal with all of this and be continually frustrated by those who throw insults or who feel they've been wronged. I guess you'll think that ironic, coming from me and all, but just know that you still have my support, despite any decision you make. I saw the forum's birth, and I'll continue looking it through until my internet dies.

As for everyone else, I know a few of you still hate me and have me on ignore, plus the whole "barring from Ventrilo" thing. But you know what, that's fine. I wish I could apologize, but since I have not been given the chance, then I shall just continue lurking. I hope the situation gets resolved in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:27 pm

youre not hated by everyone pendragon <3
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't hate you, Pen. And you do seem to have calmed down a bit, which is good.

But yeah, I recommended that Krisexy and Cliff just stay away from each other for a while. Good things never come out of those two in the same area. It's probably for the better of the discussion.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Alright, now that this is hopefully over with, lets get back to discussing ideas of what to do to bring us together more, or even find out if communication was the original problem.

We have some kind of blog/newsletter proposed that will contain updates and be posted on the DA group, (and anywhere else maybe?)

We also have my proposal for links that lead to the other areas where felarya members have congregated. Also that those links be posted on the DA group, here, and anywhere else that's necessary.

Are these good ideas? Do you have ones of your own?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:43 pm

I think the links could be integrated with the newsletters/blogs. Kinda like a forum signature.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 pm

well, i have nothing agaisnt letters and all, but lets keep in mind its to solve the problem within the community, not to tell karbo what to do :/
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 pm

That's true. At the bottom you could have something like "Remember to check out the other areas of the Felarya community!" and have links, and maybe the host name and id of the vent one just so people don't have to search for it too much.

Though yeah, lets hear your ideas on this, or any others you might have!

Also yeah, it'd just be updates and stuff. I don't know if Karbo would want to run through it before posted though - that'd be up to him.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes this is clearly a good idea ^^
In fact I could make a bannerr of sort.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 pm

haha, make an event out of it and invite Marlon Wayans to host it Smile
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:57 pm

That would be a good idea.

Another thing I know AJ is working on is trying to make the wiki more open to newbies.

I'd say the #1 reason why sometimes new people have a rough entry into Felarya is that they make characters or ideas that don't really fit with the world because they either didn't know the wiki existed or ignored it because it was too long.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 pm

I think AJ was also thinking of making some sort of animation similar to Extra Credits that would help newcomers get used to the guidelines and how the setting works.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Hm that's interesting, but I'm not exactly sure how I see that working...
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:04 am

The idea of making things more newcomer-friendly could be very helpful. I like the idea of making notices on updates, so everyone will be aware of things like the species' sizes being redefined.

Also, newcomers should be directed to the guidelines so when they begin with their characters and ideas, they know what the rules of Felarya are. Always in a friendly and helpful way, so they can feel integrated.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:43 am

Maybe some kind of "user guidelines" then? Razz Just basic notes here and there. Like how nekos can't breed with nagas, so no neko/naga hybrids, most giant predators don't exceed 140 ft or so? Stuff like that so that people can be "oh okay". Not that we don't want them to read the wiki - but walls of text one after another might scare people away.

You know how people of this day and age prefer pretty graphics XD
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Maybe some kind of "user guidelines" then? Razz Just basic notes here and there. Like how nekos can't breed with nagas, so no neko/naga hybrids, most giant predators don't exceed 140 ft or so? Stuff like that so that people can be "oh okay". Not that we don't want them to read the wiki - but walls of text one after another might scare people away.

You know how people of this day and age prefer pretty graphics XD

See
Sean Okotami wrote:
I think AJ was also thinking of making some sort of animation similar to Extra Credits that would help newcomers get used to the guidelines and how the setting works.
and
Jætte_Troll wrote:
That would be a good idea.

Another thing I know AJ is working on is trying to make the wiki more open to newbies.

I'd say the #1 reason why sometimes new people have a rough entry into Felarya is that they make characters or ideas that don't really fit with the world because they either didn't know the wiki existed or ignored it because it was too long.

What I'm doing will also include THIS. Something that all of you should read regularly incase you forget something. I've talked to some people and they didn't even know that existed.

On a side note this is my 2000th post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 pm

I still don't understand why anyone would freak out about someone writing something non-canon or why someone who wrote something would throw a hissy fit because someone told them something in their story wasn't canon.

Make the rules for said world, let people write about said world, select people to decide what stories fit in said world, divide into two piles. Canon and non-canon. If someone gets something wrong tell them why politely. If they throw a fit ban them, because they are childish. If they fix said wrong thing(s) and you still won't accept then you are childish. Anyway, that's how I see things.

Now on a more serious matter, I don't recall bagels having any rights and as such, one should not be able to claim it "needs to be heard". You might "need" to be lathered in butter but you certainly don't need to be heard.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Grave wrote:
Make the rules for said world, let people write about said world, select people to decide what stories fit in said world, divide into two piles. Canon and non-canon. If someone gets something wrong tell them why politely. If they throw a fit ban them, because they are childish. If they fix said wrong thing(s) and you still won't accept then you are childish. Anyway, that's how I see things.
Oh no no no no no NO, that is a gated community, my good sir! A hostile environment, if you will! We can't have people thinking that we have, of all abominable atrocities, STANDARDS!
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm

What I said is more or less how it seems to work now, except people criticize harshly and arrogantly when they shouldn't and don't swing the hammer when they should.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Grave wrote:
people criticize harshly and arrogantly when they shouldn't
See, it's like UFOs: I keep hearing about it, but I just... don't... see it!
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:08 pm

People like Warrior, CauldronBorn, AJ, they all give fair critique. I don't get where this "people on the forum are brutal savages who wank to the cries of the newbies they willingly humiliate" is coming from. Yes, I do see some unconstructive things here and there, but I don't see hostility here on the forum regularly; not anymore, and when I do, I call them out.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 pm

To AJ: congrats on your 2k'th post! Also I knew that existed, it's not on the DA group though, and that's where Felarya started. Also If people didn't know it existed that means we should do something about that.

To AisuKaiko: Yes I know. Unfortunately a lot of people were treated bad in the past and that leaves a lasting effect - especially if they go and tell others about the potential hostility of this forum. That's the result from not quickly banning trolls way back in the day. Not naming names - that was years ago and I would prefer it to stay like that.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 am

Jerks are everywhere, it isn't something that only exists here in the forum. And it's true some people have been harsh here, but others have been pretty constructive.

And I've tried myself to be constructive, never destructive, to help people to see what's wrong with some ideas and how they could be improved - mainly because I've gone through the whole make an idea/get criticized/understand what's wrong/fix/thank. If I've ever been destructive, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next