Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Final Lesson

Go down 
+4
asaenvolk
Jætte_Troll
Shady Knight
Stabs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Stabs
Stabs

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm finishing the Lessons series- only two episodes away from the end. One, after I've posted the next- so in that spirit, I've wondered about closing it in a manner a little more interactive. Not trying to promote it- I take it if you haven't read it it's because of a reason, so let's get to the point, shall we. I'm happy about it being the first series I get to actually wrap up! It's the first thing I finish since high school!

However, the thing is like swiss cheese as far as actual survival is concerned, I'm sure I haven't addressed all that had to be addressed. Since I've picked a topic that's pretty sore for the final lesson, I think I'll take the liberty to be brief about it, have everyone be tight-lipped, and then expand the final class by answering any survival-related questions in it. From Marcel and Lorelei's conflicting perspectives, of course. He offered his students a Q&A session in it, for any doubts they have yet to evacuate- I was wondering if any of you had any such questions. I'm good at characterization and planning, but I have my limits- so I'm asking for your help on coming up with questions.

Does anyone have a question about survival or fighting? It'd help, really, to know what would everyone like to see made possible in Marcel's words. Sure, I know you guys can make it possible by yourselves, but I like doing this... so how about it? Care to ask a "how to..."?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't get what your question is about. I guess it's survival or fighting, but I can't see any relevance in your first two paragraphs and the mention of fighting or survival is fleeting.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't get what your question is about. I guess it's survival or fighting, but I can't see any relevance in your first two paragraphs and the mention of fighting or survival is fleeting.

Let me try again then.

I need questions about survival or fighting. That's all.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Oooh, I got one!

Mages attract predators through their predator sense. But mages are also very powerful. A group with no mages is at a disadvantage. A group that is all mages is a beacon that is doomed in the case of any anti-magic opponent.

So, what's the best ratio for mage to non-mage in a group? What sort of mages are best if you are on a "mage budget?"
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:31 pm

leyline mages would probably be good, while less effective then away from a leyline they would be hard to detect because many of them don't hold, or have to hold, their mana in themselves, instead they tap their environment. Plus a world like Felarya would have lots and lots of leylines, and they probably have a fair idea where they are, they would just follow them much like a fish follows a river. They only time they might have to hold mana in themselves it when they cross from one line area to another if two lines don't intersect, then the hope is to not run into a large threat until they get get to another line.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Let me see if I've got this...

A mage wandering through the wilderness of Felarya can be a tempting target for anything with a predator or magic-detecting sense. One precaution against this is to use hecaticks. These little parasites, while feeding off your magic, will project fields that make themselves and, in great numbers, their hosts invisible to magical senses. However, as they feed, they will leave a mage drained of his/her magical energies, thus putting them at a disadvantage should a predator come across them. They also do not provide much protection against those that do not possess a predator sense and, unfortunately, will eventually fall off once they've had their fill of magic.

Are heckaticks a useful tool and, if so, when and where in Felarya is it best to use them?
Back to top Go down
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 pm

OK, I'll bite. Smile

#1 When out in the wilderness, what is a good, semi-reliable way to discern a nice safe hidey-hole from a camouflaged dryad mouth?

#2 Crossing the Shard River: motor-powered boat for noisy and fast, or old-fashioned paddles and elbow grease for slow and quiet?

#3 Giant naga has you in her hand, you've got no weapons and no allies who can help: what's the least-doomed strategy for talking your way out of it?

Bonus question!: Assuming you have one weapon of your choice that you can carry, what would you rather battle to the death; A kensha or a tonorion?
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 4:11 am

Quote :
#1 When out in the wilderness, what is a good, semi-reliable way to discern a nice safe hidey-hole from a camouflaged dryad mouth?

Prinny, Stab's first Survival lesson deals with that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am

well number #1, tossing a flair inside will tell you right quick (who wants burning prosperous in their mouth??)

number #2, honestly a boat is noticeable by more than its sound, its silhouette from below tends to stick out, and underwater paddles can be heard from a ways away. But a motor boat while very obvious are agile and move and can move over 40mph, which a mermaid probably can not.

number #3, too many variables.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Have at least one person in a robot/power armor following you. They are just as valuable as a mage would be in your party, and if the robot is pointy enough, onlooking predators will be turned off. Not alot of them like pointy things.

That's how you survive.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Silly version: Use a gun. If that doesn't work, use more, bigger guns.

Serious version: Step one to actually survive in the wild is to not be alone. There is no flawless method to make it through any of Felarya's locales on your own. Strength in number so buddies can patch each other's gaping weaknesses. The more people in a group, the easier it is to concentrate since you all focus on one part of the problem.

Step two, be well prepared. An organized team is a successful team, and a mark of an organized team is to plan your route and gear up accordingly. Always make sure to expect the worst case scenario and bring in a few extra supplies to ensure that you will make it. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially in Felarya.

Step three, be lucky. Luck is part of everything, as anything can go wrong and unexpected scenarios can occur. Even if the event is unlikely, it still means that it can happen, thus it's best to prepare in case it does happen. Even the most seasoned adventurers can fall due to bad luck, and vice versa.

Step four, know your limits. Know when whatever your objective is has become too risky to warrant your effort. It's best to run away and live another day than succeed at the cost of all of your subordinates. At least in the former case you get to try again if you want to.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Quote :

Prinny, Stab's first Survival lesson deals with that.
Great minds think alike, I guess? Razz

Yeah, I probably should have read it before making suggestions, lest I appear a fool, and then have someone inevitably point it out. But unfortunately I'm not exactly swimming in free time even on the best of days, and this looked interesting. So fnagh.
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Okay, thanks for that.

Prinny, Jaette, I will do my best with the answers and credit you for the questions.

Okotami, Asaenvolk, Jasconius, Pendragon, sorry if I decide not to use your answers. I prefer doing things my way- hope you understand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Final Lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Final Lesson   My Final Lesson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Final Lesson
Page 1 of 1