Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

General Q and A - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 pm

I don't think any real "economy" has been set for Felarya. Probably a good idea too, since you try to write up an economy for a place that's to Discworld's Counterweight Continent what the Counterweight Continent is to the average Ankh-Morpork beggar. You either have to completely change the basis of the economy from precious ores / gemstones, or have fun doing the math.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:42 pm

I'd do the math if I knew which areas to do the math in, I'm not sure whether or not I'd even need formulas either (well, complex ones at any rate.)

I was thinking that generally speaking, minimum wage is somewhere around 1.5 times as expensive as a combo meal at burger king. So I'm guessing if Burger King is equivalent to a common meal, which is 3 skevols, then minimum wage might hover somewhere around 5 skevols, more or less, based on the hiring place. Something like that.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I was thinking that generally speaking, minimum wage is somewhere around 1.5 times as expensive as a combo meal at burger king. So I'm guessing if Burger King is equivalent to a common meal, which is 3 skevols, then minimum wage might hover somewhere around 5 skevols, more or less, based on the hiring place. Something like that.
$6.59 is the price I saw for one BK Combo Meal, whereas minimum wage for that location was $7.25 (or about 110%). However, looking around I've seen several homemade meal recipes that are roughly the same content as a BK Combo Meal, but half the price.

It's a lot of variables, and in the end you'll probably need Karbo to answer your question as otherwise it's all speculation as using the exact same information but drawing a different conclusion we could have two different values for a skevol between us alone.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:55 pm

That's a good point. Here the minimum wage is like $8, but you really get paid closer to $10. That's what I get for living in California. I'm wondering if there would be micro economies. I'm guessing in the poor districts, you'd get paid 2 Skevols, whereas a meal is about 1SK. In the middle tier, you'd get paid about 4-6 SK based on the employer, and in the upper tier, probably like 15SK per hour, since everyone there's filthy rich. Though a common meal is 3 SK and a good meal is 6SK, I'm guessing that a 6SK meal would be like a nice sit down restaurant, meaning you'd need a nicer profession.

Professions...that's a whole other ball game. That'd have to be really generalized, but just enough to formulate a basic idea?
Back to top Go down
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 am

Hey guys I wanted to ask, how much a dridder can live ? and how does it compare to normal human lives ?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 2:09 am

I'm not sure what you mean by how 'much' can they live, I assume you mean how long can they live in terms of time.

The answer is unknown, as in Felarya no one dies of old age.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 2:12 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by how 'much' can they live, I assume you mean how long can they live in terms of time.

The answer is unknown, as in Felarya no one dies of old age.

Okay if a Dridder is say 10 years old by human standards, will he be 50 years old ? by dridder standards ?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 5:21 am

By this point, she'd be giant already, so no, she'd be fully matured, or at least close to it. Here's a tip: doing some research before asking a question.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:51 am

I don't think a Giant Dridder would be Giant within ten years of life, but that's just me. It sounds odd mostly because going from human-ish sized to 80+ feet would require a ton of food, but then a blue whale calf can jump hilarious amounts of size in a short period (in a single week they can grow about half a ton if well fed, assuming similar growth for a Dridder in ten years they could grow to 350 tons). I guess if a Giant Dridder was amazingly well fed they could grow to be pretty large in that time, but if they aren't getting large amounts of food they'd very be relatively static.

As for mental development, ten years is ten years. It's pretty much entirely dependent on how you have her raised and what-not. There's ten year old human children who act almost their age-again, then there's people who're nearing their 30's who act like they haven't learned a thing since childhood.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:46 am

AzureJass wrote:
Hey guys I wanted to ask, how much a dridder can live ? and how does it compare to normal human lives ?

Due to Felarya's healing property, no one ages past their physical prime, and no one dies of old-age.

For humans, the physical prime occurs around 26-28 years of age.

For giant predators, this would be somewhere around age 50-60 or so.

Giant hybrids (other than fairies, since they aren't technically ever 'giant') tend to age and mature slower than humans, and generally reach full maturity (let's say, the equivalent of 21 years old for a human), around the age of 40-45 years old. It does vary slightly, depending on whether they were live-birthed, or hatched from an egg, but 40-45 is a good average for when a giant hybrid reaches full-size.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:14 am

rcs619 wrote:

Due to Felarya's healing property, no one ages past their physical prime, and no one dies of old-age.

I knew the first was true, but i never knew the latter applied as well.

I thought humans just lived a REALLLLY long time.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 am

I'd like to know something in a hypothetical sense for my story.

I'm planning a round-trip between Safe Harbor and Negav to get supplies for the settlement. I want it to take as little time as possible, two weeks max if I can. How might I go about doing that? What sort of vehicle(s) should I use? What route should I take?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
By this point, she'd be giant already, so no, she'd be fully matured, or at least close to it. Here's a tip: doing some research before asking a question.

Maturing isn't exactly what I am asking for.

Malahite wrote:
I don't think a Giant Dridder would be Giant within ten years of life, but that's just me. It sounds odd mostly because going from human-ish sized to 80+ feet would require a ton of food, but then a blue whale calf can jump hilarious amounts of size in a short period (in a single week they can grow about half a ton if well fed, assuming similar growth for a Dridder in ten years they could grow to 350 tons). I guess if a Giant Dridder was amazingly well fed they could grow to be pretty large in that time, but if they aren't getting large amounts of food they'd very be relatively static.

As for mental development, ten years is ten years. It's pretty much entirely dependent on how you have her raised and what-not. There's ten year old human children who act almost their age-again, then there's people who're nearing their 30's who act like they haven't learned a thing since childhood.

rcs619 wrote:
AzureJass wrote:

For humans, the physical prime occurs around 26-28 years of age.

For giant predators, this would be somewhere around age 50-60 or so.

Giant hybrids (other than fairies, since they aren't technically ever 'giant') tend to age and mature slower than humans, and generally reach full maturity (let's say, the equivalent of 21 years old for a human), around the age of 40-45 years old. It does vary slightly, depending on whether they were live-birthed, or hatched from an egg, but 40-45 is a good average for when a giant hybrid reaches full-size.

Thanks for the input guys Smile
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Quote :
Maturing isn't exactly what I am asking for.

wiktionary wrote:
Adjective
mature (comparative maturer or more mature, superlative maturest or most mature)
Fully developed; grown up in terms of physical appearance, behaviour or thinking; ripe.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Nyaha wrote:

I'm planning a round-trip between Safe Harbor and Negav to get supplies for the settlement. I want it to take as little time as possible, two weeks max if I can. How might I go about doing that? What sort of vehicle(s) should I use? What route should I take?
I'm guessing that the safest, fastest way would be to ford the river and then bounce between villages on the way to / back from Negav. You'd - rather obviously - need some form of boat or portable bridge for this, preferably multiple for redundancy's sake. Oar-powered or engine-powered, if I had to suggest a method of travel.

Since making a boat at the river would take time, though (the same for a bridge), they'll probably need to bring it with them. Whether this means they're light enough to be carried by a group of people once emptied, that it's on a wheeled platform until in the water (letting them double as wagons for much of the trip), or so-on, they'll need some way to bring it with them.

If on wheels, or the supply group is supposed to have some scouts running along the sides to make sure the path's at least semi-safe, a few work / riding animals would probably be a good idea as well. Alternatively, a couple of wizards could do the same, but wizards seem like something that they'd want to keep in the village most of the time: Their magic is a nice boost, but also a beacon for some Giant Predators and rather helpful for defending the Harbor.

Do you mean two weeks as in both ways, or for any one direction? As I assume the above could work for a forced march, but you'd be pushing it and might need to switch out animals along the way.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Nyaha wrote:

The question comes to mind of what they'd be using for money.

Assuming they don't somehow have a bunch of skevols stockpiled, they are going to need something to barter with, something a Negavian merchant could sell off for an equivalent sum of skevols so he has money he can actually use in the city.

Also would depend what kind of supplies you're looking to get. The amount of space you need, and weight you need to be able to carry on the return trip will greatly influence what kind of vehicle you take there. Safe Harbor isn't that big, it should be able to be fairly self-sufficient if it's been around this long already.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 2:52 pm

[quote="rcs619]Safe Harbor isn't that big, it should be able to be fairly self-sufficient if it's been around this long already.[/quote]
In that case, I suppose supplies would mean building materials in this case, perhaps for weapons or houses.

One of my characters in the story is a skilled mechanic/carpenter, and her father has history with seafaring, so it'd make sense she could build something like what Mal has described, an amphibious craft of sorts. She's also a user of lighting-element, rule-based magic. It would make sense that she could use that to power whatever they're using, yes? Or would that draw too much attention?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Bamf. The safest and shortest route between two places is by teleporting, so if possible try and warp there and back Wink
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:56 am

Wrong! Teleportation can be extremely dangerous for a very good reason: if you aren't familiar with the location you're trying to warp to, such as having never physically seen it or been there, you can very much teleport yourself off course. This, naturally, means that your party runs the risk of getting lost, and in Felarya, getting lost in the wild is pretty much a death sentence.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:12 am

Oh god, this gives me an idea for a comic. xD
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:53 am

Actually, Para brings up a good point, right? O.o The dimensional gate by Negav, it could be used to teleport to Safe Harbor, making the trip back quicker and hazard-less, right?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Nyaha wrote:
Actually, Para brings up a good point, right? O.o The dimensional gate by Negav, it could be used to teleport to Safe Harbor, making the trip back quicker and hazard-less, right?

Far as canon makes explicit, the gate in Negav is only known to go to other worlds. You'd have to ask Karbo if it can lead you anywhere else. The Great Sagolian Gate, on the other hand, is only capable of linking to other portals, it doesn't just go anywhere either.

Standard portals are generally two-way, though we know of one-way ones... but one thing you can be sure of is that if you wanna get to Safe Harbor through a portal, you'll need a portal that leads to Safe Harbor. So far, I don't know of any... and besides, IMO, if these two locations got connected with a portal, Safe Harbor would become pretty damn pointless, pretty damn fast.

If you need a two-week trip, as you said, I recommend the river. Use a wind-powered, shallow draft* vehicle and go somewhere the shallow waters would make a giant mermaid feel restricted.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:30 pm

I don't see the point about connecting Negav with Safe Harbor, actually, but this reminds me of a conversation I had with Karbo when he was thinking of making 'Murmur' canon. Basically, the problem was that the innkeeper, Grigor, was intended to make a quick trip every month to Safe Harbor for supplies. Actually, from the inn's location (near the Forest of Whispers) to SH could take, what? Three weeks or more? Bad timing for an inn, right? So we came to the conclusion that we needed dimensional magic to answer Grigor's one-week-off to that town.

We intended it as something special, as something that should be for that ocassion, and thought of a hired magician to help him with that. I'd like to give it a further explanation in an upcoming story, though, but we never thought of it as something that would make Safe Harbor pointless. Precisely because of 'Murmur' and its odd location. Connecting Negav and Safe Harbor... We are talking of one of this world's biggest cities and a little town, and maybe it's just me but I don't see the point.

Anyway, as far as I know, the Negav gate is between worlds, not between locations in Felarya. Also, remember that when relocating outsiders, if they reach Negav they have a chance to go back home if the gate is connected to their world, otherwise they have to begin a new life in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Okay, I see what you guys are saying. :3 Thanks for all the ideas, too! ^.^ I agree that using the river seems like the best bet, however....The only problem with that is that my character's weakness is water, and if travelling the river, it seems to make her presence on the trip rather meaningless. On the other hand, maybe I can work that fact into the story. Nyu, I'll figure it out. Thanks guys! ^.^
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:56 pm

You're welcome. And in my opinion, I think that this weakness could be well played in a story, and if you use the river for that, don't be scared to use it. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 32 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 32 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next