Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crimson maidens

Go down 
+6
aethernavale
Sehoolighan
Karbo
Solomon
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Crimson maidens - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 am

I don't really have much to say about this. Personally, since Karbo said he viewed the Crimson Maidens as more of a tribe, wouldn't it be better to rework the fairy entry so that some fairies are separated by tribes rather than sub-species?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm

I guess I could make it a smaller scale tribe. Native American tribes like the Iroquois and the Cherokee were pretty huge tribes, though. So just because its a tribe doesn't mean it's small - and I think a small tribe doesn't really suit a group like the Crimson maidens...

I dunno for some reason it just doesn't feel right >.<
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I never said that the tribe would be small. Please, point out where I said that the tribe was small, because my eyes are unable to detect such detail.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I never said that the tribe would be small. Please, point out where I said that the tribe was small, because my eyes are unable to detect such detail.

Indeed, for none can compete with eyes as mine that are capable of this level of scrutinous detail!

Okay, so you didn't exactly say it was small, but tribe still gives a smaller feeling XD
I guess since a tribe can have a population of like 500,000 people (some of the Native American Tribes back in the 18th century) and a settlement can be called a city when it reaches 400,000 people. Though I think a tribe is more of a type of people than it is detailing the level of a settlement like a town or city. I may be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am

The connotative value of the word tribe does suggest a population of only a few dozen to many people, but it isn't defined that way. It is something to watch out for when using the word though.

Umm... where does this come from?
Archmage_Bael wrote:
a settlement can be called a city when it reaches 400,000 people.
Many governments only require ~10,000 for city status and no mediaeval European city reached 400,000.
Edit: Constantinople exceeded 400k for a time but that's not really the point here (they would've been appalled to be lumped in with western Europe anyway Razz). I'm probably just picking at nits.
Archmage_Bael wrote:
Though I think a tribe is more of a type of people than it is detailing the level of a settlement like a town or city. I may be wrong though.
Definitions vary slightly from one dictionary to another but say roughly the same thing, here are the first two from wiktionary.org.
Quote :
1. A socially, ethnically, and politically cohesive group of people.
2. (anthropology) A society larger than a band but smaller than a state.
The second one is the only one I could find that refers to size. It's anthropology specific and is bound only by the other two terms which themselves are defined not by any specific population, but rather other properties. I'm pretty sure Karbo meant the first definition in his statement.

I'm also fond of the idea of a curse being involved, possibly stated such that all males are born crippled in some way. Possibly those that inflicted it were themselves patriarchal and didn't expect the females to step in and take over the role of warriors. I'm not quite sure about how a purely social cause could be made to sustain itself.

Last edited by 2Ron2R on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot about constantinople)
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 8:11 am

Just a thought, you know why couldn't the Crimson Maidens have gone to war amongst their own tribes, that kind of thing happens all the time in real life. THe Crimson Maidens are probably a group of related tribes more than a single tribe, so this is fully possible.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:10 am

@2RonR - there were many cities in medieval times that exceeded 400k people. I didn't feel it important to reply at the time, because that was obvious - but now that you're correcting yourself I'll say that the capital cities in basically every country in europe exceeded that. Lets not even talk about China or Japan. Trust me, there are a LOT of cities that exceeded 400k, and plus, Negav is way cleaner than them anyway. There's also no risk for the black plague.

@Asaenvolk - well at least I can probably fit that into my stories. I think every tribe would follow Alsherala. Clearly the wiki states that "the Crimson Maidens follow their leader..." which, if in multiple spread out tribes, it'd be an awkward relationship, where I envision a political system reminiscent of the Krogan from Mass Effect, where Alsherala has a tribe of a few people surrounded by the other tribes of many people, and if anyone knows the Krogan Governmental system, know exactly where I'm going with this.

Given the Crimson Maidens glory and honor and fighting thing, probably wont too far fetched. It'd be scary to see what the Krogans could accomplish alongside A horde of angry Crimson Maidens. Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:38 am

And it doesn't occur to you that they may have went to war among themselves, caused thousands of casualties, and then Alsherela took over when things were getting out of hand?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm

That's exactly why it reminds me of the Krogan government. Lol you pretty much said word for word what happened with them. Just dub in "Urdnot Wrex" for "Alsherala" and "Krogan" for "Crimson Maidens" XD

edit: oh and yes, the Krogan have Clans too. quite a lot.
Back to top Go down
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
@2RonR - there were many cities in medieval times that exceeded 400k people. I didn't feel it important to reply at the time, because that was obvious - but now that you're correcting yourself I'll say that the capital cities in basically every country in europe exceeded that. Lets not even talk about China or Japan. Trust me, there are a LOT of cities that exceeded 400k, and plus, Negav is way cleaner than them anyway. There's also no risk for the black plague.

I corrected myself long ago if you look at the date on the edit. The point was that the definition of city didn't require anywhere near that number. As for "I'll say that the capital cities in basically every country in europe exceeded that." during the medieval period this is simply incorrect. They didn't start reaching that number in most of Europe till the end of the renaissance.

Again my statement was about the definition of city, I can see now my question "Umm... where does this come from?" could be interpreted as little hostile but it wasn't meant that way, it was very much a question of where you were coming up with the number. I get the impression (which could of course be incorrect) from the second half of your last sentence that this has something to do with Negav. Again I might derive from this that you mistakenly got the impression that I thought Negav's population might be so limited at a point lower than 400k (of course I'm completely in the realm of supposition as to the reasoning behind your statements). However I was only perplexed why you would set a number for the definition of a 'city' that was so high.

To add something actually on topic (and I admit it's my fault that it ever left topic). A civil war would definitely provide a way around the question of how they received such devastation to their male population if they're supposed to be such potent warriors. I still find the curse idea to be elegant though.
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crimson maidens   Crimson maidens - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crimson maidens
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2