Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kortiki town

Go down 
+12
rcs619
kikijonson
hhhat09
keroko
Pendragon
TheLightLost
TheArchvile
Malahite
Shady Knight
FalconJudge
Claire
Karbo
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

Kortiki town - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:24 am

I'm wondering if the concept how the town deals fairies who eat humans is being thought about in the wrong way. After all while rare there are cannibalistic fairies, and it seems fairies have formed other towns. When living in close quarters how do fairies deal with situations where one fairy harms another?

Stabs wrote:
Why aren't we thinking about elves and tomthumbs in Kortiki?
Beings humans ourselves there does tend to be a little bias. Also humans tend to be less accepting of predation, so if humans are comfortable with the situation other species probably would be as well. Tomthumbs aren't actually on the inhabitant list though they do tend to get everywhere, this brings up a question though. What are the limits of the towns "neutrality" seeing as fairies are very non-discriminatory about what they make friends with. If it covers everything alive the fairies may find their ability to eat in the town a bit limiting, then again maybe Kortiki is a tourist spot for fairies that want to try elven or human cuisine.
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 9:03 am

Quote :
About my idea cliff...I was just using Negav and an example...there are heavy implications that Kortiki Town isnt the ownly settlement in the Fairy Kingdom and there are settlements of Fairy towns and implications that somewhere in Sunfall Thicket are Phantom Elven Towns and other places in csuch and Karbo did tell me that he could see Kortiki have some sort of trade with them...I mearly use Negav as an example because its just somthing we all really just know as a place that does alot of trade...trade with Kortiki Town would be fairly rare in Negav...but I'd imagine there are things there that the Negavians would really love to get their hands on...

though I do like that idea of coming up with ways that the guild...or a bettter term for it (Karbo used Rangers once) ...my original version still needs tweaking of course but I might exsperiment with one of the sudjestions you said...

Then that's what you should have said.

Trading with other settlements in the fairy kingdom is an entirely different matter than linking up one of your ideas on DA about how to get Negav trading with Kortiki using the Felaryan Express. The former could work pretty well, the latter is just silly and neigh impossible given the massive distances between the two locations.

Trading with other settlements, particularly those of fairies and/or elves would be good for diplomacy. Get Kortiki humans out there, get them providing a good service, and maybe get other preds thinking "Hey, humans aren't so bad".

Pixie Ball, I know nothing about, but the idea of a town sport isn't a bad one. Sports bring people together, both as competitors and as fans.

Also, you don't need to tell everyone how much you've talked to Karbo or how much he has approved of your ideas ever other sentence. Just talk normal and let your ideas stand on their own. It will make them seem stronger and more confident.
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
Marauder of the deep jungle
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:48 pm

sorry about the Karbo thing...I was just trying to get my idea out there...no trying o be snobbish or anything >.<
Back to top Go down
http://kikijonson.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:49 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Trading with other settlements, particularly those of fairies and/or elves would be good for diplomacy. Get Kortiki humans out there, get them providing a good service, and maybe get other preds thinking "Hey, humans aren't so bad".
I don't think Kortiki would work quite so PSA as intended. Karbo's done some works already wherein the idea of "purchase safe passage" was thought to include "those little walking things as meals", Anna has trouble enough convincing Crisis that humans other than Lea are people (though being stuck with a misanthropic human might also have a part with that), etcetera. This isn't to say that it won't impact any Giant Predators, but I imagine more often than not it won't be "Oh, wait, Humans are people too", but "Hey, the Kortiki fairies train their humans well! Maybe I can trade them a couple I was saving for lunch to have them do tricks for me!"

Many D&D settings have things like Goblins, Orcs, Gibberlings, and so-on seen as less-than-people. The interesting thing is that in Felarya - to Giant Predators - Humans are the Orcs / Goblins / Gibberlings / whatever. Oh, sure, some might be acknowledged, and there might be those that acknowledge Kobolds / whatever as a whole to be people, but to most you're just blathering and "adding unnecessary moral matters" (except in this case it's not a party of adventurers slaughtering their way through an Orc nursery, but a Giant Predator eating a poorly located adventuring team).
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Slightly off-top, but I think everyone is confusing Lea's strong inner fortitude for misanthropy. It states nowhere that she openly hate humans, just that she's so used to people dying and suffering around her, due to her origin as a slave, that it doesn't affect her like it would affect other people.

Anyways, I like the idea of a trade guild in Kortiki selling merchandise with other settlements in the fairy kingdom. I admit I didn't think of it like that, which is stupid because I am going to use Sunfall Thicket in my stories fairly soon.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Couldn't say it all earlier, now saying the rest.

rcs619 wrote:
Also, let's be honest. Fairy parties would be crazy. Music, booze and a bunch of winged magical girls? Goodtimes.
The Hangover, Felarya Version, there we go. I already have a headache.

Heavenless-star wrote:
As for what keeps the order in Kortiki, as far as I can tell, the inmates run the asylum. I'm not sure how their society has managed to avoid collapse without some one or ones policing things. Just who is in charge anyway? o.o
rcs619 wrote:
That's why I think a multi-species city council would be nice. As would measures being taken to deal with people (human, fairy or other) who get caught hurting a resident of the town. I understand Kortiki will have some element of danger. So does Negav. Getting grabbed by a fairy while walking home alone isn't really all that different from getting mugged and stabbed in the middle of Negav. There will be disappearances, and likely rumors of fairies who occasionally eat humans. You can't really do anything about that. But I do think it's important to take action against those who get caught doing it, at least to keep the humans or fairies (depending who got hurt) appeased. Kick them out of town, or maybe happen to be looking in the wrong direction when something unfortunate happens to them. Trust is a two-way street, and it will take everyone trusting everyone to keep the town alive and improving.
It will take everyone trusting everyone else not to kill each other to keep the town alive and improving. If you intend to let there be law enforcement, you know there's going to be a bias towards humans in it- just because we're the fastest breeders; I'd recommend instead to have everyone pitching in for law enforcement. That way we're assured a case-by-case basis treatment.
Besides, you pointed out most of the fairy population will remain in flux, so the council's rule would affect mostly the humanoids (and maybe the tinies), as the fairies would change too often to be reliably informed of the changes in the rules. I'd recommend the council to remain as uninvolved as possible, not unlike the Negavian one- and as unofficial as possible, unlike the Negavian one.

rcs619 wrote:
Beings humans ourselves there does tend to be a little bias. Also humans tend to be less accepting of predation, so if humans are comfortable with the situation other species probably would be as well. Tomthumbs aren't actually on the inhabitant list though they do tend to get everywhere, this brings up a question though. What are the limits of the towns "neutrality" seeing as fairies are very non-discriminatory about what they make friends with. If it covers everything alive the fairies may find their ability to eat in the town a bit limiting, then again maybe Kortiki is a tourist spot for fairies that want to try elven or human cuisine.
Well, personally, I wasn't really thinking it covered "anything alive", but rather that we'd find ourselves in a position where fairies would think twice before eating anything with a name, or that can love them back. So the menu would have marsh prawn, ants and spiders, quail or lizard eggs, freshwater fish... mice if you were really hungry, and perhaps beefy jerk on special occassions, unless they were someone's pet.

Malahite wrote:
I don't think Kortiki would work quite so PSA as intended. Karbo's done some works already wherein the idea of "purchase safe passage" was thought to include "those little walking things as meals", Anna has trouble enough convincing Crisis that humans other than Lea are people (though being stuck with a misanthropic human might also have a part with that), etcetera. This isn't to say that it won't impact any Giant Predators, but I imagine more often than not it won't be "Oh, wait, Humans are people too", but "Hey, the Kortiki fairies train their humans well! Maybe I can trade them a couple I was saving for lunch to have them do tricks for me!"
Predators already know what humans are. They just don't believe that makes them people, and the feeling's mutual in a way, you know? It's not that they don't believe you think, learn, remember, feel, take responsibility for your actions or hold potential both for great goodness and great evil. It's just they don't believe it matters.

Shady Knight wrote:
I challenge you to sum that up in three sentences or less.
Challenge accepted: fairies can do harmful without eating anyone and we should consider the fact if you're eaten you might survive, which is probably why it'd still happen though it shouldn't, and if someone's digested the best that could happen is that everyone else can get on with their lives, but it shouldn't worry us whether someone's friends get eaten because people from Kortiki wouldn't talk like strangers, and strangers are always the center of attention, but most people wouldn't know much about Kortiki so they wouldn't really hate the place even if they talked a lot of shit about it, and they should be wrong because Kortiki's still there and there should be a reason why it's still there, finally we shouldn't talk only about humans and fairies because there should be tinies and elves too, this is one sentence so I win x3!
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Also, stabs. I believe fairies actually breed at the same speed as humans. They aren't actually "giant" like nagas, dridders and so on. So, they most likely have a typical 9-month pregnancy and a comparable age of maturity to humans. That probably explains why there are so many of them and why they can roll around in packs of up to a dozen or more sometimes.

I think the population of Kortiki wouldn't be all that imbalanced. Fairies, humans, nekos, inu (if theyr'e there), elves, half-fairies, half-elves, there's going to be a nice mix.

I wasn't talking about a council like the Magiocrat council. I was thinking more of an elected city council. Normal, average residents of Kortiki who get elected to a council seat. I can't see a massive wealth disparity like in Negav, so I imagine most residents are going to be on relatively even terms. Some will have more money and influence of course, but it won't be as extreme. Serving on the city council need not be some super-exclusive, limited thing. Its main job would be to make sure things keep running smoothly and allocate resources and people to things that need to be done. As well as being the "face" of Kortiki and of coexistence. I'm sure not all members would like each other, but the point is that you have multiple species cooperating towards the same goal.

Basically, more of a smaller, frontier-town mentality than the super-organized and regulated way Negav is run.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:36 am

A frontier-mentality, eh?

Yeah, I think that sums it up nicely.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:19 am

That's really interesting ^^
I think the most arduous question is that of population control indeed, then again it's a bit the same in the rest of Felarya, because of the effect of the soil. That's not easy to answer at all ^^ ;
For their stance toward tinies, I definitely think fairies would see them just a equal as humans as they see size as somewhat irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Mr. I
Mr. I

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Seeing as this thread hasn't been updated in over three years now, I think it's time to add more substance to this town. For starters, if you were a merchant and by some miracle you survived with all your wares in Kortiki town to set up shop, what would you use for money? Since Kortiki Town is effectively cut off from the rest of Felarya in terms of trade and commerce, and the only way to get to cities like Negav to restock or something is to go through the jungle, would it have a trade and barter system where customers trade goods for things like food and services, or has Kortiki developed its own way of paying for things over time?

Granted it's possible that odd jobs and requests are payment for that shiny new fire poker or bunch of Succuberries, and a fairy trader might say "Spend some time in my belly and it's yours" or something fun for them, but a form of hard currency doesn't exist yet for this place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kortiki town   Kortiki town - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kortiki town
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3