Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Naga Length Tips

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Naga Length Tips  Empty
PostSubject: Naga Length Tips    Naga Length Tips  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Is there any formula or trick to determing naga length? It's the one thing that still makes me feel uncertain about determing on a bio.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

Naga Length Tips  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naga Length Tips    Naga Length Tips  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 2:19 pm

There was this one thing I tried, once, for determining naga length.

I tried, first, to assume the female half's proportions were 36-24-36 (which is unrealistic, but hey, it's a good enough assumption to begin with). Then I looked for a snake whose girth was the same as that of the hips: 36 inches around.

Now, if you've drawn much, you'll know that a woman's center of gravity lies at just around the cutoff point. So, assuming said woman measures five foot six (which is unrealistic for proportions like 36-24-36, but hey, it's Felarya), you have 2 foot 9 in. of woman, and the rest is snake.

Using some old data I had, I picked up data about a green anaconda, of which the fattest ever was 550 pounds and measured 37.5 inches in girth. So we use half a python, 275 pounds, and add half a woman, 63 pounds... we'll assume now that the linear density of the woman is the same as that of the python (no offense to the ladies). So, if 63 pounds of woman measure 2 ft. 9 in., 275 pounds of woman measure 12 foot.

Total length: 14 foot 9 in. Give or take 4.36 times the length of the body from the crotch up, for the length of the body, and 5.36 for the whole body, which would mean... a naga's length is 2.68 times her intended standing height.

If you want to use the whole python (Mmm, naughty), you have 23 foot 2 in. of python per 2 ft. 8 in. of woman, a total of 25 foot 11 in to represent a 5 foot 6 woman. Her length would be 4.71 times her intended standing height, and 9.42 times her crotch to top of the head measurement.

Green anaconda data: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/green-anaconda/

Actually, when I try to model the anaconda as a cylinder weighing 227 kg and measuring 9 metres, 25.22 kg/m of anaconda and with roughly the density of water (like any living being capable of swimming), I get that its cross-section, in order to approximate a circle, must have a perimeter of:

25.22 kg = 100 cm * X cm^2 * 1 g/cm^2
X = 25.22*1000 g /100 g = 252.2 cm^2
252.2 cm^2 = pi*r^2
r=sqrt(252.2/(3.14))=6.33
p=2*pi*r=6.33 cm*6.28= 39.7524 cm
1 in. = 2.7524 cm
39.7524 cm = 15.65 in.

That's a bit under 16 inches. I'm hoping that by using half a snake, you get the thickest section of the snake, the one that's as wide as the aforementioned hips... should there be such a section. Otherwise, you'll have to upscale the snake, which means, multiply the fraction of snake you want to use (1/2 or 1/1) by the desired ratio between hips and girth so they match.

In the aforementioned case, let's assume that we use half a snake, that the thickness where it's thickest is 24 inches, and that we want it to match 36 in. hips. Multiply the length of the snake (30 ft.) by 1/2, for 15 ft., and multiply that value by 36/24, for 22 ft. 6 in. You get 22 foot six inches of length to add to the torso.

In short...

Method 1- Multiply standing height by 2.68 (conservative estimate)
Method 2- Multiply standing height by 4.71 (generous estimate)
Method 3- Multiply either earlier value by desired hips/girth ratio (You need snake girth data to do this, and an intended hip measurement; gives relatively more believable results)
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Naga Length Tips  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naga Length Tips    Naga Length Tips  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 2:29 pm

The usual trick I use is that I multiple its standing upright height and multiply it either by three or four.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Mr. I
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Mr. I

Naga Length Tips  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naga Length Tips    Naga Length Tips  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 3:55 pm

We really should set up a general list of, not necessarily rules, but guidelines of low long a tail should be in general. Because I've read stories where the Naga is 20 feet tall and their tail is 60 feet long. Just picturing that doesn't seem like a realistic length. A naga's tail is used for movement and as a weapon in most cases.

Crisis for example, her tail is not even set to a specific length. It could be as long as she is tall, shorter, or longer. If she's slithering through the jungle, and people don't hear, but they see, this big flat teal colored mass moving in front of them, they might take the hint and get as far from the area as they could. Provided she doesn't pick hem up with her predator sense first.

In my opinion, it should be short enough where they can move at a decent without it being miles long, and long enough to use for hunting and effectively maneuver the jungle or whatever environment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Naga Length Tips  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naga Length Tips    Naga Length Tips  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Naga Length Tips
Page 1 of 1