Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Updating the map

Go down 
+10
tkh1304
Shady Knight
nipa101
Ilceren
Archmage_Bael
ravaging vixen
parameciumkid
Nyaha
Amaroq
Karbo
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Updating the map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 9:42 am

I know e-akahele made a flash version of the original map. I'm not sure how invested he is in Felarya these days, but he might be able and willing to help. ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 am

E-Akahele hasn't been active in years and his dA page hasn't updated in a long while, so chances are he's not gonna be able to help. Anyway, as for the map itself, I just think the drawing could use a bit more detailed so that areas look more distinct from one another so you kind of have an idea of when a zone begins and when a zone ends. The name of the places help a bit, but they don't establish borders very well. I also think that giving the trees their own kind of detail, even if it's from a bird's eye view, would make the setting look more lively.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Wouldn't things like the Jungle of Perils being so outlined from the surroundings as they are now give an impression that Felarya is "pieced together", just as it's supposed to be?
I think making the change less noticeable would be worse than keeping it as it is now, but well, that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 pm

But is it supposed to be "pieced together" like that as you say? Do you have any way of backing up your claim that Jungle of Peril was a vanishing land and not something that's been with Felarya from the very beginning?  But for the sake of argument, let's say it is, okay? And while we're at it, the entire map as a whole, alright?  What if, instead of being placed the way they are, the desert and the swamp had been placed side by side with basically an outline for a border? As far as we know, a vanishing land can occur anywhere and the piece it steals doesn't necessarily have to fit the environment since whatever it's going to steal is up to complete chance.  Wouldn't such a placement look like it's been patchworked by someone who doesn't understand even basic geography?  Furthermore, at this point, I think it's safe to say that the Jungle of Peril has been there for a very, very, VERY long time, so what if the trees at the border has changed over time as to indicate a smoother transition as a sign that whatever piece of land it originally came from has now been completely "assimilated" into Felarya for a lack of a better term?
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Well, the argument that was used against my one-sky-portal theory was that Felaryan skies were composed of a different sky portal for each area, which basically meant that each area had fixed boundaries where one exits an area and enters the next. Hence the "pieced together" thing. I'm not too partial to that one, but it does indeed help explain some things. For instance, it would help explain why the Jungle of Perils has stayed completely red even after being surrounded by green forests.

We know tree seeding doesn't occur just next to the trees, so even taking into account how much it takes for a giant Felaryan tree to grow, the areas themselves are far, far older, so some kind of tree infiltration would already have taken place far beyond the initial border. The zone being a bounded mini-environment with separate conditions from the other areas does explain why only specialized trees grow there, whilst the rest can't manage to expand to that place.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, Karbo is the one who has the final say in such a matter, so your one-sky-portal is just that, a theory, and not something concrete you can say for certainty. Besides, fantasy settings have had weirder than a red forest next to a normal green forest and there's never needed an explanation as for why that is, probably because no one asked for one, and an explanation would also take away from the fantastical element of a fantasy setting.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 6:13 pm

Oooh I am so glad you're doing this! I've been wondering if you'd ever get back around to updating the map again man. It's been...ages. o.o; On other's notes: Flash is not that good of an idea cause Flash costs money, ergo nobody in the community will likely want a commission to do it and likely a sizable one so they can justify getting the latest version and such. < <; I agree the map should be easier to veiw, but it should stay aerial. I used to hate aerial type maps myself, but I've been using the Felarya map for so long I have gotten used to it. I'm not opposed to the idea of getting read of the big icons of preds on the map...but I say we still need a system of keeping up with who's where. I mean that's not only useful to a write but also to a RPer and in fact I think it's time some more were added out of the well known characters like Jora, Caylin and Garnet. Now on to my ideas for what should change in the map:

19: A small water source in the Akaptor or near it. Seriously I looked at it the other day and I wondered: "How do they survive without water"?

20: Some updated map stuff for Izatem and the Oolonde Lake region in general. Seriously it looks pretty bare compared to the rest of the map.

21: Names that are readable!! Seriously I have to squint to make out most of the map. >_- It'd be easier if some of the name's would be enhanced in size on places like Rivers and such.

23: Updated human settlements with thier mini icons? I mean I didn't even know about the Thornlodge till I read the wiki.

Hmm that's all I can think of for now.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Akaptor has no oases? You'd think I'd have noticed while working on the area. Time for a Nyaha idea!

I imagine a healthy oasis apparently produced by a rock sitting at the bottom of a crater of glass in the middle of the desert. Hmmm...Does that sound good?

Last edited by Nyaha on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 4:25 am

After you went to bed yesterday, your idea suddenly reminded me of this:

Updating the map - Page 2 CrystalValley

It's a crystal formation made by an alien creature in the bottom of the crater he made himself when he landed. A pretty nasty alien at that, BTW, here you have him, in case you get some inspiration out of him:

Updating the map - Page 2 20140703150351!ORT
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 5:18 pm

If you want to do it to scale, remember what you're scaling things to. So far, we haven't taken into account phenomenology, so you've got travel speeds and territories to scale things to.

The typical travel speed through secondary jungle on foot is about 500 metres (1/3 of a mile, roughly) per hour for a human, anywhere from 3 to 4 times that for the British special forces or for people who know their jungle, multiply by another factor if you're dimensioning for nekos.

The typical territory, not a clue, man. Those could overlap a lot, and a lot of deviations might just be MAGIC! For starters, fairies don't count (unless they want to), and then you can take whatever population density you like at normal scale, divide it by 364, and assume that's more or less what we're after.

I remember an island that was literally crawling with SNAKES. Please don't use that one as a model.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Ah another thing the map needs hit me today: color coordinatinated sectors that match their backgrounds in the wiki. Such as how the Forest of Whispers. In it's artwork the foliage is blue-green but on the map it looks light green. Just a little thought.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Here is a glimpse at the outline of the new map Smile

It's still very basic for now. I just took the old one, redrawed it a bit, played a bit with the size of various elements, and expanded it westward. There is no new elements and no scale grids yet. The only indication of distance is basically that Crisis take one full day to go from the giant tree to the chordoni waterfalls.
I didn't add yet any of the things you people suggested but don't worry it's in the card and it's still a very early version  Wink

Updating the map - Page 2 MapfelaryaupdaedWIP1

bigger version http://sta.sh/0kyghibb277
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 1:55 pm

If I remember the wiki correctly, Imoreith Tundra is at a very high elevation, isn't it? Thus, I think the shape of the border between it and Evernight Forest right next to it should be shaped less like the tops of trees and more like a drop-off cliff or something. It might actually make sense for there to be a small gap between them to illustrate that they're not on the same level or something.

If I'm wrong about the elevation, though, nevermind. ^^; That's really the only helpful thing I can think of to say right now. Otherwise it seems to look a lot more detailed already. ^_^
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Karbo wrote:
Here is a glimpse at the outline of the new map Smile

It's still very basic for now. I just took the old one, redrawed it a bit, played a bit with the size of various elements, and expanded it westward. There is no new elements and no scale grids yet. The only indication of distance is basically that Crisis take one full day to go from the giant tree to the chordoni waterfalls.
I didn't add yet any of the things you people suggested but don't worry it's in the card and it's still a very early version  Wink

Updating the map - Page 2 MapfelaryaupdaedWIP1

bigger version http://sta.sh/0kyghibb277

You are amazing!! O.o Seems some of the topography changed a bit more than I expected. Slight slant here, little more curve there. <.< Me thinks you've been drawin' the giant ladies too long, my friend. XD Still looks like there's plenty of room for all new sub zones in places I'd never expected! ^-^
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 3:58 pm

I have been working hard on the map those last two days Smile

It's turning to be probably the biggest picture I have done. When it's open, it takes 1,2 GO of memory from my computer XD

There is still a good way to go but it can give you a good idea of what it will look like. They are not here yet but in the end there will be the Isolon eye indicator as well as a discreet grid.

http://sta.sh/01nkmsepy4ap

Last edited by Karbo on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sprix
Survivor
Survivor
Sprix

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 pm

detailed maps of each major location other than negav.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 5:33 pm

I think it would be worth pointing the name of the rivers besides just Jewel River.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 4:05 am

Sprix wrote:
Sprix, you should understand that, first, doing a detailed map is a lot of work. And second, how do you make a map of the jungle? A jungle is a living place that's constantly changing. Even if the giant trees are millenarian, everything else can come and go in the blink of an eye. A giant creature practically changes the landscape at its wake with all the plants and rocks it crushes underfoot, and the occasional fire can reshape the area with its destructive force. Even if you do manage to make a general map, a vanishing land can come to say hello and decide to stay forever in the middle of your masterpiece of a map. Felarya is like that, ever the wild land. You can map its general shape, you can set down temporarily permanent lines with your buildings and walls, but nothing lasts forever.

So, back to the topic at hand, I find the Chomikai Commons a bit too forest-y. I had thought that the area around the city was a bit more clear, with some space for fields and such. It is true, now that I cross-check it with the Negav map, that even there they don't take up much space before the forest starts, but I still feel that space is needed. Not only for cultivation purposes, but also for strategic ones. Vishmital cannon defences would need a certain degree of visibility for them to be effective, and the route from the Ascarlin Mines to Negav should likewise be open and easy to defend. Carting the mineral between the trees, even when protected by the Isolon Fist, calls for an ambush.

On the other hand, I like the improvement in detail of certain areas, like the Ixtapal Marshes and the new Navroze chain, as well as the intermediate colours that help some of the colourful forests blend into the surrounding areas. I know I said it gave a better sense of interlocking areas if colours suddenly changed to the next one in a clear line, but this way it's visually appealing as well.
Back to top Go down
Sprix
Survivor
Survivor
Sprix

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 am

Ilceren wrote:
Sprix wrote:
Sprix, you should understand that, first, doing a detailed map is a lot of work. And second, how do you make a map of the jungle? A jungle is a living place that's constantly changing. Even if the giant trees are millenarian, everything else can come and go in the blink of an eye. A giant creature practically changes the landscape at its wake with all the plants and rocks it crushes underfoot, and the occasional fire can reshape the area with its destructive force. Even if you do manage to make a general map, a vanishing land can come to say hello and decide to stay forever in the middle of your masterpiece of a map. Felarya is like that, ever the wild land. You can map its general shape, you can set down temporarily permanent lines with your buildings and walls, but nothing lasts forever.

I mean a map of a place like chordoni waterfalls, or maybe a side-view map of the great tree
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 am

That's better. Putting it in a more specific way helps, as being too general might see your idea disregarded swiftly. I do agree that a map of the Great Tree might be interesting, but I do not understand why would a map of the Chordoni Waterfalls would be needed. Isn't the picture of the place drawn by Karbo enough to give you an idea of the location?

P.S.: I edited your post. You should try to keep quotes brief, instead of quoting a whole, long post out of which not even half is relevant to your comment.
Back to top Go down
Sprix
Survivor
Survivor
Sprix

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:09 am

Sorry. I meant in the general area as well.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 pm

The map is done Smile
http://karbo.deviantart.com/art/Felarya-map-V2-515872160

There is no indicators of distance yet and I believe the rendering is not 100% finished on some areas. But I released it anyway because I worked way too much on it already ^^;  I'll add what is missing later. I hope you like it ^^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 5:31 pm

There's only one thing about the new map I can say sucks and it's that e-akahele's interactive map has become outdated as a result.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 8:14 am

Shady Knight wrote:
There's only one thing about the new map I can say sucks and it's that e-akahele's interactive map has become outdated as a result.

That's sorta their own fault though. That map has technically been out of date for ages. Never added all the basic locations or any updates really at all. Think 'ol E-akhale is MIA these days though.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 1:36 pm

hey so i still have a question about this new map. I'm really troubled by the aspect ratio and depth perception of how i try to imagine how big the known continent is to felarya. So to make it easier on myself i tried to look at the mountains as geographical as possible compared to the state I live in:

Map of Utah:

I tried to shrink that mountains down to relation to the mountain ranges.

Where i'm confused at is how big in relative size is the Pyrael mountain range, Ascarlin mountains, Navroze mountain range, and Orelosk plateau>

Is compared to the one in my state so i can get a better geoprahical measure and depth of how big the main continent actually is so I can figure issues like air travel and living space for other potential towns/villages with their population could be for the future.

If you want a better estimate scope of the ranges:

Updating the map - Page 2 Glaciers3

There it is, but do you see what I mean? If I'm going to judge now, The main continent compare to my states geographical description means that it's telling me that felarya is only a few states big (which a continent can be classified to be that big but i'm sure that wasn't the intent for felarya). How I want to imagine it is felarya is about the size of central europe, but i don't know that because there was no clear explanation on that unless i missed something?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Updating the map   Updating the map - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Updating the map
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: