Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Proceedings of both discussions

Go down 
+7
Nyaha
Shady Knight
Amaroq
SenecaHyde
gwadahunter2222
dragon808tr
Stabs
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SenecaHyde
Naga food
SenecaHyde

Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 pm

As promised, I did a quick sort through and classified these to see if we could spot any low hanging fruit. In retrospect, I should have broken "Benefit" into "Impact" and "Controversy", since a lot of my "Low" benefit choices are called such because they have a positive impact to some but a great negative impact to many others.

By doing this, it becomes clear what a few different types of recommendations are, i.e. easy changes that are not worthwhile or controversial, or changes that are universally beneficial but would take a lot of work.

And this isn't quite rocket science. My estimates include loose aggregations of the wishes of all possible stakeholders, so if something seems off, that's probably why.

Stabs wrote:
Let's get it on, Hyde.

Your suggestion to put all suggestions in one place, I mean. It should shave precious hours off your ordeal.
This is what I've spotted as concrete suggestions. A few were implied, though.

Re: Realism
 -Add realism wherever possible, noting the exceptions specifically.
Benefit: Low
Risk: High
Difficulty: Medium

-Restrain the realism to where it's necessary for effect.

The above two actions move the universe in opposite directions. The problem is that any gains in immersion would be achieved at the cost of alienating those who prefer the other option.

Re: Tone/Purpose/Theme/Mood
 -Create a rough guideline about what the setting is supposed to feature, and the point of it.
Benefit: Medium
Risk: Low
Difficulty: Low/Medium

-Pick a purpose or direction so that ideas can be blended with the setting better
Risk: Medium/High
Difficulty: High

-Karbo should actively start discussion on every idea

The second option risks alienating some fans of the universe, but the other two have little downside excepting the amount of effort it would take to get them running.

Re: Mythology
 -Assume explicitly no fan stories happen in the primary canon, all happen in reinterpreted canon
Risk: Medium
Difficulty: Low

-Separate stories that fit from stories that don't
Benefit: Low/Medium

-Add story synopsis and links to the wiki

-Present a timeline of hard facts and a timeline of potential ones
Benefit: High

Re: Wiki, Fanon, Canon
 -Allow fanon content in the wiki, but mark it as such

-Increase number of wiki editors

-(Pick term length for wiki editors)

-Create alternate source to learn about canon

Re: Continue development of the wiki
 -Add more concrete information

Re: Retcon 5
 -Discard all material, then redo by sorting importance
Benefit: Medium/High

-Allow for edition of material that belongs to another author

Re: Vore themes
 -De-emphasize vore in the wiki, enhance other themes
Benefit: Low/Medium
Difficulty: Medium/High

Re: Other
 -Modify dA group for ease of access

-Free pizza for Mac
Benefit: Very High
Difficulty: ???
Back to top Go down
SenecaHyde
Naga food
SenecaHyde

PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 pm

To be clear, I'm not suggesting any actions based on this. I'm fine if the topic dies right here; these are just valuable notes to have in case the topic comes up again, so we can look back and contrast any request with other requests that were also asked for in the past.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 6:18 am

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I see Stabs pretty much summed up everything here. Wish I could contribute more, but I'm torn on whether the realm works better as a realistic land, or one more based on mythology. It's a tough call.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Quote :

I actually started on something like that once, several years ago. I thought it would be neat if wiki articles about places, species (animal or sapient) and characters included links to stories, and perhaps also to pictures. It would help readers know more about those places, characters, etc…, and would also be a handy point of reference.

The difficulty, or tediousness, is in systematically contacting the authors of the story for permission to include a link, and the creator of the location or character to ask whether they feel that story reflects their creation. Also, there's a difficulty in deciding which stories to select, bearing in mind that they should be of good quality.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Trust me, it's not everything, Pendragon, whether in the discussion or outside of it. I'll try to start another bit of talk later, the other discussion seems to already have ran its course.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 2:23 pm

French snack wrote:
Quote :

I actually started on something like that once, several years ago. I thought it would be neat if wiki articles about places, species (animal or sapient) and characters included links to stories, and perhaps also to pictures. It would help readers know more about those places, characters, etc…, and would also be a handy point of reference.

The difficulty, or tediousness, is in systematically contacting the authors of the story for permission to include a link, and the creator of the location or character to ask whether they feel that story reflects their creation. Also, there's a difficulty in deciding which stories to select, bearing in mind that they should be of good quality.

I think this is a different suggestion, wherein there would be a page on the wiki dedicated solely to referring readers to noteworthy stories and their authors' galleries, with brief notes on why they're noteworthy. Which would be a lot less tedious, I think.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proceedings of both discussions   Proceedings of both discussions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proceedings of both discussions
Page 1 of 1