Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Question About Hard Light

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

A Question About Hard Light Empty
PostSubject: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2016 12:17 am

Okay so I've been looking into ascending my little game universe based on Stars Wars tech and one of the things I'm having to chuck that I kinda don't wanna is my lightsaber, but honestly you can't really get away with those much without basically turning it into the same thing only cheaper looking. Then it occurs to me what if I had a hard light projector that was shaped like a katana handle with the blade made of Hard Light? I mean I'm sure you'd lose some obvious advantages, like being able caulterize a wound or bounce lasers off it, but then again I dunno. My experience with this theory is very new. So any of the geniuses here want to help me? ...<.< Maybe earn a spot as a playable character in my RPGs? Or just my unending adoration? Smile
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2016 6:40 pm

hardlight has the same same properties of a heated laser. It will cauterize wounds and even have a higher chance to reflect energy better than plasma actually. Since it's a light made physical, nothing really gets past that. Weaponizing it to be hot maybe tricker but basically it's going to be a ballistic weapon made from energy. What I would do if i were you is apply it like a vibro blade or Highfrequency blade like in metal gear if you were to use it for close combat. Just make sure to go into details how the hilt and handle nullify the vibrations from turning your flesh and hand bone into mush xD

P.S: You should look into the halo universe for a bit. It's expansive in telling a little bit how the Forunners and promethean knights use hard light as a primary choice for their weapons.
Back to top Go down
http://sovietkroshka.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Bluehorizon wrote:
hardlight has the same same properties of a heated laser. It will cauterize wounds and even have a higher chance to reflect energy better than plasma actually. Since it's a light made physical, nothing really gets past that. Weaponizing it to be hot maybe tricker but basically it's going to be a ballistic weapon made from energy. What I would do if i were you is apply it like a vibro blade or Highfrequency blade like in metal gear if you were to use it for close combat. Just make sure to go into details how the hilt and handle nullify the vibrations from turning your flesh and hand bone into mush xD

P.S: You should look into the halo universe for a bit. It's expansive in telling a little bit how the Forunners and promethean knights use hard light as a primary choice for their weapons.

Hmm so what you're saying is a Hard Light Blade would be far more effective than a lightsaber at being a lightsaber? Interesting! =D I knew I was onto a neat idea but I had no idea I'd leave with a better weapon rather than a worse one. Of course since the Orilla Galaxy doesn't use the "only Jedi can truly wield a lightsaber" rule this also means that my crazy rival Katia, and any evil army potentially, use this same tech to eventhe playing field, but I like that! B) As for nullifying vibrations well the tech of the vibroblade can't be that hard to replicate. After all we have some friction cancellation tech in this day in age I'm sure. Even if it's only fringe science but then again when you're a writer of science fiction you don't have to Asimov it up all the time. Hmm I just might. I do like the story of the Halo universe I just could never get into it because it mostly happened in game play. Though I'm sure they have wiki now where I can peruse this as my leisure.
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 pm

The only thing about hardlight is that it's hard to replicate, but it's better to augment with other things. I mean sure you can reverse engineer anything but taking energy of light then changing around the photons so that it is now invisible and is hard is more advanced them most hard sci-fi concepts to do. I would keep the weapon a rarity and mastercrafted unless a civilization grew around such technology to make it common.
Back to top Go down
http://sovietkroshka.deviantart.com/
Ffoulkes
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 8:23 am

Slayers / Lost Universe had a scifi energy blade called the 'monofilament' blade. It consisted of an energy arc propagated along a monofilament wire ( a wire made from a single string of atoms, basically graphene / carbon nanotube ideology ) held taunt in a sort of bow-turned-sword-handle. It kinda looked like an open c-clamp that had been really elongated, and the wire was connected between the two tips of the clamp. That meant it wasn't a 360 weapon like a lightsaber, it had a 'backside' that was metal. It's the precursor to the more light-saber style weapons that operate off of mind / will power in the anime, and Kane's actual weapon in said anime. It's probably the more ""realistic"" way to have a 'lightsaber'.

On an unrelated sidenote, Millennium Feria Nocturne is still one of the best names ever.

Last edited by Ffoulkes on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit: I forgot most people don't know Latin. Millennium Feria Nocturne is something like "Nightly festival of thousands" and leads to her nickname of "Stargazer".)
Back to top Go down
Thywolf
Great warrior
Great warrior
Thywolf

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:

Of course since the Orilla Galaxy doesn't use the "only Jedi can truly wield a lightsaber" rule

:v never really was a rule anywhere
just force users can do moar with a lightsaber

anywhos, hardlight stuff
http://www.popsci.com/article/science/how-prove-light-can-be-converted-matter
http://www.iflscience.com/physics/crystallized-light-reveals-potential

Now actually to get a light saber you could combine starwars tech and a hardlight ideas

Your lightsaber, is a laser produced, by a specialized powercell, the light from this laser, passes through a focusing crystal, and then another energy field, which then creates a very powerful hardlight construct made from the said laser.

The hard light blade, is from the refraction of the crystal and the energyfield, forcing the light protons to crash into each other creating a solid state to the light. THE blade however is no stable, and the decay rate of the light mass is within a few feet, depending on the powersupply and crystal. Once the laser light has passed though this zone, it dissipates completely.

Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 8:15 am

Ffoulkes wrote:
Slayers / Lost Universe had a scifi energy blade called the 'monofilament' blade. It consisted of an energy arc propagated along a monofilament wire ( a wire made from a single string of atoms, basically graphene / carbon nanotube ideology ) held taunt in a sort of bow-turned-sword-handle. It kinda looked like an open c-clamp that had been really elongated, and the wire was connected between the two tips of the clamp. That meant it wasn't a 360 weapon like a lightsaber, it had a 'backside' that was metal. It's the precursor to the more light-saber style weapons that operate off of mind / will power in the anime, and Kane's actual weapon in said anime. It's probably the more ""realistic"" way to have a 'lightsaber'.
This also reminds me of the weapon the main character in the "No more heroes" game uses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question About Hard Light   A Question About Hard Light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question About Hard Light
Page 1 of 1