Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Roll for Initiative

Go down 
+7
Malahite
Haar
Karbo
lami
melancholy-melody13
Raveolution
Silent_eric
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What do you think? Good idea?
Yes! I love pen and paper role-playing!
Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 11 ]
Yes! I don't like pen and paper games that much, but if it's Felarya, sign me up!
Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Sure. I prefer video games, but I might try this out.
Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_lcap41%Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 41% [ 9 ]
Sure. I probably won't play it, but do whatever you like. It's your time.
Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
No. Waste of Time. Do something productive Eric, like write your stories.
Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 11:57 am

Seems simplified to me, for some reason, though a wonderful one non-the-less. May use it to write-up Jacob (And Savage, and the unnamed Bard, and everyone else I was thinking of writing). Though now we must decide where the levels start off. Do we go with D&D "3d6" levels, White Wolf System, or what?
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Give a hand to Jesse for his exemplary work with that sheet. Normally, I'd complain how he knows to do that spoiler thing when he just joined, and I don't, but I'll overlook that for now. I've bigger fish to fry.

Those fish, magic. Now I'm going to get around to getting around to explaining how getting magic will work. I'll also explain how character creation works and what everything on the sheet even means. But first, I need opinions from you. Today, me and my friends brainstormed on different magicks. Each is basically the same as a skill, but a skill in a certain aspect of magic. Well, a certain effect that can be garnered from the use of magic. Here is what I have so far.

Ice- The ability to create, and manipulate ice. At higher levels, it allows almost any liquid or gas to be turned into a solid. That's the definition of freezing.
Fire- The ability to create, and manipulate flames. A devastating attack magic, at higher levels, it allows control over the vibration of molecules. Once again, the definition of heat.
Water- The ability to manipulate water in it's liquid state. At higher levels, clean water can be condensed from the air, and almost anything can be melted into a liquid.
Earth- The ability to create, and manipulate rocks and soil. At higher levels, you can turn your, or others body's to stone.
Air- The ability to create and manipulate (Three guesses) Air! At higher levels, weather can be manipulated
Lightning- The ability to create and control electricity, although usually an attack, it can also be used to affect technology.
Light- The ability to create or take away light. That's right, light magic controls light and dark. At high levels, you can effect yours of others senses, including blinding or deafening others, or making your sight better than an eagles.
Sound- The ability to create and manipulate sound, especially ones outside the normal range of talking. This isn't a totally useless magic, I swear! Spells include ventriloquism, high pitched noises that scare away animals, and sonic attacks.
Healing- You heal people. Next. Just kidding, you can heal wounds faster than Felarya's soil can, and at higher levels, you can bring others back from near mortal wounds.
Destruction- This is a magic that is harder to define. It is essentially the opposite of healing magic, in that it generally causes damage to just about anything. Need a hole ripped open in the ground, or that dridder? This is the magic for you. Also, this is what you use to make things explode! ^^
Holy- Not Good per say, this magic does 'generally good seeming' things. Things like sending people to heaven at high levels, or imbuing other spells with holy qualities.
Unholy- Not evil per say, this magic does 'generally evil seeming' things. Things like sending people to hell at high levels, or imbuing other spells with unholy qualities
Plant- The ability to talk to plants, cause them to grow or wither, and eventually control them. While dryads can't be controlled, they tend to like mages with this type of magic.
Time- At low levels, this magic allows you to manipulate how fast or slow reality goes for you or others. In effect, it increases or decreases initiative. At higher levels, it is possible for short jumps forward or backward in time.
Space- You know how they have that saying, time and space? (Hopefully yes, if not, run with me here) Well time is obvious, but space not so much. So space is basically dimensions. The kind of spells you would get would include portal making, teleportation, and eventually gravity control!
Mind- Read minds, cause damage indirectly, and at high levels, control minds too!
Summoning- This is the ability to summon beings or even inanimate objects from anywhere. And with an infinite number of universes to choose from, you can get absolutely anything. The higher your level, the farther and bigger you can summon from. If you have high enough Holy or Unholy magic, you can summon succubi or angels! Yay!
Matter- Shrink, growth, elasticity and eventually density manipulation. Very important for preds!
Necromancy- Raise the dead! Although this doesn't work in Felarya, I bet there is some way around this...
Illusion- At low levels, distracting or minor alterations will appear, but at higher levels, you can make completely real looking doubles that act realistically.
Divination- First you are able to see the past. Then you can see the present. Then you can see the future. Useful and fun!

Okay, that was longer than I thought it would be, but here you go. Now, if you have any ideas for changes or new ideas for magicks that can be found, please suggest some. In fact, even ideas for specific spells and their effects would be most helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Malahite wrote:
Seems simplified to me, for some reason, though a wonderful one non-the-less. May use it to write-up Jacob (And Savage, and the unnamed Bard, and everyone else I was thinking of writing). Though now we must decide where the levels start off. Do we go with D&D "3d6" levels, White Wolf System, or what?

Simplified? A bit I suppose. But this is just the first (Well, third) draft. I have in fact come up with everything but the feats and advantages and disadvantages. I just have to write everything up here. I actually just about have this game done.

At least for human characters.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Silent_eric wrote:
Earth- The ability to create, and manipulate rocks and soil. At higher levels, you can turn your, or others body's to stone.
Similar to stoneskin, making you a living statue, or what?

And Necromancy may or may not actually be working now. Healing is usually defined under the Necromatic lores, and as far as I'm aware healing spells do work on Felarya. Perhaps if a wizard started to muck around with things... (Hey, look, last words before a Mage ends the multiverse!)

For the purpose of this system, are you going to classify Psyker's and Magic Users as seperate power-users?
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Malahite wrote:
Silent_eric wrote:
Similar to stoneskin, making you a living statue, or what?

And Necromancy may or may not actually be working now. Healing is usually defined under the Necromatic lores, and as far as I'm aware healing spells do work on Felarya. Perhaps if a wizard started to muck around with things... (Hey, look, last words before a Mage ends the multiverse!)

For the purpose of this system, are you going to classify Psyker's and Magic Users as seperate power-users?

Well, depends on the actual spell. Those are all very very rough ideas for where to take those concepts. I would suppose that there would be a spell for turning enemies to stone, and one to create a rock like armor over your body.

I'm going to say, same difference. Having fire magic is the same as pyrokinesis. However you want to define it for your character won't change the game mechanic.

Here is an important aspect of the game. Skills, spells, and attributes are all bought the same way. You spend the same number of points as the number you want the skill to be. One at a time though. For instance, It cost 1 point to go from zero to one, 2 to go from one to two, 5 to go from four to five, etc.

And another important thing, every three skill levels you reach in a specific skill, (3,6,9,12,15 etc) will get you a free feat, and every three levels you reach in a magic skill, you get a new spell. You can also spend points to directly buy the spell if you are impatient. You get to choose from a list of relevent feats or spells, but many will have prerequisets, resulting in a tech tree leading to the horribly overpowered spells I suggested before. Being able to freeze anything is pretty OP, but luckily, anyone who puts in the hundred or so points required to get that far would likely be eaten far before then. I realize that magic is incredably powerful, but I hope that if anyone puts everything into magic, and neglects attributes and skills, they will be too frail to survive Felarya. I'll need to play test it and see.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Silent_eric wrote:

I'm going to say, same difference. Having fire magic is the same as pyrokinesis. However you want to define it for your character won't change the game mechanic.
Just wondering, as some places make a difference between the two.

wrote:
Here is an important aspect of the game. Skills, spells, and attributes are all bought the same way. You spend the same number of points as the number you want the skill to be. One at a time though. For instance, It cost 1 point to go from zero to one, 2 to go from one to two, 5 to go from four to five, etc.
Question: What can you do with spare points? By this, I mean if you don't intend to go over a specific thing (Speaking of such, should we add racial maximums?)

wrote:
And another important thing, every three skill levels you reach in a specific skill, (3,6,9,12,15 etc) will get you a free feat,
Something like "Quickdraw" for a gun (No Initiative Modifiers), "Combat Haze" (Temporarily increase reaction times, attack speed), etc?

wrote:
and every three levels you reach in a magic skill, you get a new spell.
Perhaps instead of only 'once every three levels', you make it something like 'one spell level per level up'. If you save three level ups, you could get a level 3 spell, three level ones, a two and a one, or something else and save the rest for later. Of course, level one would be simple things (Slight Cantrip, temporarily put a minor enchantment on an item, etc), and the higher the level the higher the spell.

This would also add a bit of 'realism', as it makes it easier for the mage to learn lesser spells (Look, the flower turned into two!) than something big (Such as a room incinerating fireball, a cone of cold capable of freezing a man solid within seconds [IE Instant Death], etc).

Something pretty similar to the tech-tree, but slightly different in itself.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Silent_eric wrote:
I realize that magic is incredably powerful, but I hope that if anyone puts everything into magic, and neglects attributes and skills, they will be too frail to survive Felarya. I'll need to play test it and see.
Not really because in theory in a word like that you can have a way to increase both your physical or magical resistance or have skill to counter magic. by example like magcalproof jacket Laughing

Indeed someone can have a powerfull spell which can one shot a predator but this spell need an important concentration or preparation and an important cooldown. During this time the caster vulnerable to any quick attack by example you can shot with a bow or a gun, throw a knife
if you are enough close, a kick in the belly or a punch in the face or you hit him violently with your weapon to stun the caster.
Or a simple counterspell.

Example of skill which counter magic, I quote as example some skill I see in the game WoW:
The rogue has a skill name shadowcloak during a short time the rogue was insensible to magic attack, this ability was balanced by an important cooldown.
The more funny was the warrior can send back a spell by hitting it with his shield.

More an ability is powerfull the more condition it require and there is no necessity it works all the time it's possible to miss a spell Wink
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:24 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

Not really because in theory in a word like that you can have a way to increase both your physical or magical resistance or have skill to counter magic. by example like magcalproof jacket Laughing
If a mage isn't running around with their own protective spells readied, they're already asking for trouble. There's no real need to improve physical skill, and there isn't any time either for most mages.

wrote:
Indeed someone can have a powerfull spell which can one shot a predator but this spell need an important concentration or preparation and an important cooldown.
I can think of a simple, level 1 or two mage spell that could kill nearly anything if applied correctly. It's "Shrink". See: Heart size of billiards ball". Again, this brings up the whole "Balance v Power" debate.

wrote:
During this time the caster vulnerable to any quick attack by example you can shot with a bow or a gun, throw a knife
Agreed. Which is why they tend to have readied a protective spell.

wrote:
if you are enough close, a kick in the belly or a punch in the face or you hit him violently with your weapon to stun the caster.
Personally, I wouldn't punch a spellcaster in the middle of an offensive spell. Stab with a spear, maybe, though I don't want to be within arms reach when the spell backfires due to the interruption.

wrote:
Or a simple counterspell.
Now we're talkin'.

wrote:
More an ability is powerfull the more condition it require and there is no necessity it works all the time it's possible to miss a spell Wink
Agreed, I am a wee bit tired of the "It should work... in theory," or "It has a 10% chance to work," spells being cast successfully e'ery single time.

Hm, thought: Will mages be able to develop their own spells?
Back to top Go down
Grissecon
Tasty morsel
Grissecon

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm

To cover most of the past posts:

Yes, magic will be powerful but not all-powerful. It'll be just as effective as a gun, though you can't use it 'till later. The really good stuff comes way later for the Mages, and Versus the quick-to-acheive, good skills for normal skill-based characters. It'll balance out I think. Sure a god-mage with years of in-game Felaryan experience is going to own, but why wouldn't he. He spent so much time into it that he deserves it. Attributes are a more constant, easy way to do things. The system (I.E. spell strength) will need a bit of playtesting, but magic shouldn't be too overpowered.

For the concentration thing, why would it be there? I mean, Eric even said if you wanna describe your character how you want, with say, Telepathic abilities, would there be a counter-spell for that? Or a prep period? I think maybe concentrating will help, but It shouldn't be necessary. But I don't know how Eric wants it, I'm just saying what I think.

Also, some very important skills exist: Weapon, firearms, survival, search, spot, climb. And there are plenty of others a mage will have a hard time getting OP with. Sure flight helps a bit, but no weapon skill isn't realistic. Some skills might be necessary to survive Felarya.

It isn't going to be like a child with the power to freeze a whole room in an instant. S/he simply wouldn't survive in Felarya. I think the desperate nature of Felarya, versus the laid back-ness of most RPG will add to the lack of extra points for magic. You'll need to put points in other things.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Another question: Will we be using Anime humans (I was run through with a sword, not 40. Of course I'm fine.) or humans with real-life durabilities?
Back to top Go down
Grissecon
Tasty morsel
Grissecon

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm not sure what Eric has in mind, but judging him I'd say realism over anime.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Quote :
If a mage isn't running around with their own protective spells readied, they're already asking for trouble. There's no real need to improve physical skill, and there isn't any time either for most mages.
There is dispell skill or simply you can have special bullet or arrow or weapon wich can pierce the magic defense.

Quote :
I can think of a simple, level 1 or two mage spell that could kill nearly anything if applied correctly. It's "Shrink". See: Heart size of billiards ball". Again, this brings up the whole "Balance v Power" debate.

A shrink spell in my opinion is a very complex spell, I think it's more easy to shrink object and tools than living form because it require more energy. Depending of the mastery the shrink effect can be fast or slow and the traget too, it's easier to human to shrink a another human to the size to a bug than a 360 ft naga to the size of a bug. In this kind of spell the size of the target play an important factor.
The level of mastery too by example a beginner has a chance to shrink the clothe of the target, the target without the clothes or the shrink the target + the clothes.

For the competence you suggest I think only good experienced mage can do that, because to shrink a target the mage need to visualize his target in his mind at the size he wants to give to the target. For the case of the heart I think it's more complex because you can shrink the heart of a human due to the fact you are human you can have an idea of the size of the human's heart but for some preds you need to study their aanatomy first.

I think it's more difficult to alter your own size than the size of the other.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:07 am

Wow, where to start?

wrote:
wrote:
Question: What can you do with spare points? By this, I mean if you don't intend to go over a specific thing (Speaking of such, should we add racial maximums?)

Spare points would be used as experiance. You'll get more as you play the game, and stats are increased further this way. So this game doesn't really have levels...
But for more fun, I was thinking points could be used in game to give you extra dice or re rolls or something. I'm not sure whether to have this be the same points as used for exp, or if it should be seperate 'Luck Points.' If the former, I like the idea of a small penalty for being 'out of luck.'
And I didn't think of it before, but racial maximums do make sense. At least for attributes.

wrote:
wrote:
And another important thing, every three skill levels you reach in a specific skill, (3,6,9,12,15 etc) will get you a free feat,
Something like "Quickdraw" for a gun (No Initiative Modifiers), "Combat Haze" (Temporarily increase reaction times, attack speed), etc?

That's exactly right! (Those are some good ones too) Feats will for the most part be skill or attribute based, and advantages will basically be feats that aren't related to any skill or attribute, or things that change the fundemental way your character is. Disadvantages are given to give you more points in exchange for a bad effect. Most disadvantages can be 'paid off' for the amount you paid for them. That represents overcoming your flaws.

wrote:
wrote:
and every three levels you reach in a magic skill, you get a new spell.
Perhaps instead of only 'once every three levels', you make it something like 'one spell level per level up'. If you save three level ups, you could get a level 3 spell, three level ones, a two and a one, or something else and save the rest for later. Of course, level one would be simple things (Slight Cantrip, temporarily put a minor enchantment on an item, etc), and the higher the level the higher the spell. This would also add a bit of 'realism', as it makes it easier for the mage to learn lesser spells (Look, the flower turned into two!) than something big (Such as a room incinerating fireball, a cone of cold capable of freezing a man solid within seconds [IE Instant Death], etc). Something pretty similar to the tech-tree, but slightly different in itself.

... I like it. The magic system now goes that way!

Malahite wrote:
Another question: Will we be using Anime humans (I was run through with a sword, not 40. Of course I'm fine.) or humans with real-life durabilities?

Well, I'm certain you are exaggerating a tad, but it will tend to run closer to realism. But being Felarya, there is going to be a natural bedrock of anime type stuff. I'm working on the health system, but right now I'm thinking of various status ailments as you take damage until finally, you pass out. From there, it would be simple to kill or eat the foe.

wrote:
wrote:
Indeed someone can have a powerfull spell which can one shot a predator but this spell need an important concentration or preparation and an important cooldown.

Well, that would be really hard to do, expecially for a low level character. Shrink would be one of the most powerful spells possible. As would grow. And the more complex the target, and if you can't see it, it gets progressively harder. So while you could do that, you'd have to roll around a fifty or more.

wrote:
wrote:
During this time the caster vulnerable to any quick attack by example you can shot with a bow or a gun, throw a knife
Agreed. Which is why they tend to have readied a protective spell.

Of course, the more complex and powerful the spell, the more turns it takes to cast. That's obvious. they wouldn't be completely helpless, but they won't be able to attack while casting. There may be a few advantages and disadvantages that affect the actual casting of spells.

wrote:
Hm, thought: Will mages be able to develop their own spells?

I'd say, yes. Spells at around your level can be done. After all, in my opinion at least, magic is just the forcing of your will on reality. That's why in my previous way of doing magic, you got spells every three levels. At first, you just impose your wil with forcel, then later you know actual spells that more masterfully change your surroundings. But making spells is another way to do the same thing.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Silent_eric wrote:
I realize that magic is incredably powerful, but I hope that if anyone puts everything into magic, and neglects attributes and skills, they will be too frail to survive Felarya. I'll need to play test it and see.
Indeed someone can have a powerfull spell which can one shot a predator but this spell need an important concentration or preparation and an important cooldown. During this time the caster vulnerable to any quick attack. Or a simple counterspell.

Well, I meant magic has the potential of being more powerful. And it does! I don't mean it's infallible. Yes, a mage can be interrupted or attacked. And yes, they are likely to be weaker in close combat. And a mage can make armor to counter that. But warriors can have weapons that counter magic armor. In the end, it should balance out.
Back to top Go down
Grissecon
Tasty morsel
Grissecon

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Well, the Naga. Two new skills were added, Coiling and Tail tricks. It will be updated soon with the min attributes and basic feats but for now tell me what you think!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Alright, I just got a new game that I am soooooo incredably pumped to read. That's right,

Dark Heresy! The 40k roleplaying game!

I must read this book and take all relevent ideas that can be converted to the Felarya game. For instance, can you believe that I completely forgot about called shots? If a naga has your friend in her hand, you want to be able to target it so she'll drop him.

While I cannibalize yet another rp system, could any of you come up with a name for the Felarya pen and paper rpg? I can't think of one, and I don't want this Felarya rpg to get confused with the computer Felarya rpg that's also being made.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Silent_eric wrote:

Ah yes, the system where you can cause explosive shrapnel damage from the blown apart limbs of your foes.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Malahite wrote:
Silent_eric wrote:

Ah yes, the system where you can cause explosive shrapnel damage from the blown apart limbs of your foes.

Yes! The critical system is freaking awesome! This is an incredibly awesome system! I'm definately adding something akin to the fate point system. And I don't know why I didn't think of the catfall talent myself. With Giant Trees everywhere, it's important to have the ability to reduce falling damage. And a Blather skill? That would be incredibly useful!

One thing I've realized though, is there are too many skills to fit on one sheet, and there are too many exceptions possible for characters, and so instead of listing them all, I'll have to have blank lines for the skill list. I think I may have to go over those attributes again too. And although the equipment thingy looks cool, I don't think it's especially necessary. All in all, I need to make this more Felarya-y
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roll for Initiative   Roll for Initiative - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roll for Initiative
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2