Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Demi-human integration initiative

Go down 
+6
Slimetoad
2Ron2R
Shady Knight
Jætte_Troll
TheLightLost
rcs619
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Demi-human integration initiative Empty
PostSubject: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:25 pm

I had another one of those "Why didn't I ever think of this before?" ideas, and I figured I'd write it up and post it.

What do we know currently about the inner politics of the Magiocrats? The impression I've gotten from the mangas, from bouncing thoughts and ideas off Karbo, and off of other forum members, is that they are at a crossroads of sorts. Nearly all of the original Magiocrats have retired, and quite a few of their senior members are beginning to do the same. At the same time, a new generation of younger members, like Lesona, are coming into power. They never experienced the Great Destruction, and were born Negavians. I think that this Negavian identity, and their youth (Lesona is only 62, and if she's the current head of the council, then I think its believable to assume she was in her 50's when she got invited to join the council), would make them a bit more ambitious, and unorthodox than their older peers. They would actually see Negav as their home, and be more open to anything that could better ensure its safety.

Part of what got me thinking on this, was Thas Voidfingers. Here we have a Neko, who has managed to rise up the ranks and become a Battlemage in the Isolon Fist, putting him in direct command of up to a dozen or so other (likely predominantly human) soldiers. I do not think this could have happened in the earlier days of the Magiocrats, even wtih Voidfingers' powerful abilities. Then we also find out that his commander used to be Lady Lesona. I think Voidfingers' rise to a position of command, and a posiition of respect, is a sign that some moods within the Magiocrat government are beginning to change a little. He likely had to, and probably still does, deal with prejudice, but he was still given the chance in the first place.

Now we get to the point of this thread. I think that, with the backing of the younger Magiocrats, a demi-human integration initiative could potentially be started. Whether humans of Negav would like to admit it or not, demi-humans do bring things to the table that a human cannot. Currently, the only non-humans present within the Magiocrat government in any numbers, are Elves (Karbo has even hinted that there may be an Elf or two on the Magiocrat Council itself). But let's look at some of the other demi-human varieties that live within the near-Negav area.

- Nekos (Negav, Nekomura): Excellent of hearing, and a good sense of smell. There are also their impressive physical abilites that include great agility, quick bursts of speed, and a natural skill at moving stealthily when needed.

- Inu (Negav): Good sense of hearing, and an excellent sense of smell. While slower than a Neko in terms of pure speed, they possess extremely good endurance over long distances.

- Nagas (Motamo Docks): Good overall senses, as well as their ability to sense magical fields. In terms of physical abilities, they are heavier than a human, and their tail is extremely strong. Nagas can also move suprisingly quickly in short bursts.

- Dridders (Motamo Docks): Good overall senses. They are venemous, and their webbing can potentially be woven into suprisingly strong fabrics. In physical terms, they're going to be slower than the above species, but they can walk on walls, and are powerful jumpers, thanks to their long, strong legs.

- Harpies (The Chomikai Commons, Motamo Docks): Harpies have amazing vision. As far as physical traits go, well, they can fly. This makes them the fastest demi-human species in the near-Negav area.

- Mermaids (The Motamo River): While mermaids in the river surrounding Negav hasn't been confirmed, I think there would be some that would flock to the protection of The Eye, like the demi-humans of the Motamo Docks. Mermaids are, well, Mermaids. They can breathe underwater and swim really fast.

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for some of the more open-minded Magiocrats to start thinking "Heeeeey, those demi-humans may actually be of some use to us."

Imagine how easy a Naga would make tracking down a rouge mage within the city walls? They'd be lit up like a christmas tree compared to everyone around them. They'd also be great guides through the jungle, thanks to their good senses, and the way they can move so silently, and effortlessly through various types of terrain.

Imagine how useful Nekos would be as advance scouts/guides for Isolon Fist detatchments that have to go deep into the jungle. Inu would probably be alright at this too. They'd also make good messengers or long-range scouts, thanks to their great endurance.

Dridders let you make poison to coat your weapons in, and tough, durable fabric for your soldiers to wear, plus their ability to sneak around quietly and move vertically.

Imagine how great a Harpy would be as a scout. All you'd need to do is hook her up with a radio, and she could relay anything she finds back to the soldiers she's attatched too. They'd also be good for carrying messages around Negav, since it is a very vertical city, and they wouldn't need to ever take the stairs. Hell, if you could rig up a camera to her, she could help you map out whole areas.

Of course, as they look at more demi-humans, they're also going to eventually find a handful of powerful mages, like Voidfingers, that can be taken in and trained to be Battlemages.

Im not saying the Magiocrat government and military would be a hugely multi-species place, but I think there are definately places where demi-humans would be very useful. It could also help give a reason why Negav lets the Motamo Docks exist within The Eye's range, and didn't screw them over like they did to Nekomura. Plus, it opens up new story potential. Stories about these demi-humans within the Magiocrat government and military, having to do their jobs, maybe even make a few friends, and of course deal with the inevitable prejudice they would encounter.

I imagine quite a few of them would also consider themselves to be Negavians, and would genuinely want to try and help serve and protect the city.

Of course, there would be material benefits for demi-human recruits as well. The Nekos and Inu living within Negav would get the chance to have a more prestigeous job, a higher position in society, and maybe a little respect as well (...and money too, of course). For the Nagas, Dridders and Harpies of the Motamo Docks, working for the Magiocrats would actually let them enter the city of Negav (since they are usually forbidden from it). It would also give them the opportunity to visit the shops and markets of Negav, and buy things to take back home using the money they'd make from their job. it would help them increase their standard of living, and that of their family, if they have one.

Anyways, just an idea. I thought it seemed kind of interesting, and would help expand on the human-sized hybrids that live in and around Negav.

EDIT: Work Passes

Something else that crossed my mind. There would probably be quite a few local businesses that could benefit from demi-human help. What if there were a program in place that allows demi-humans of the Motamo Docks to get a "work pass"? It would allow them to enter the city, to work at a local business. They would be required to leave the city by a certain time each day. The demi-human's employer would have to vouch for them, and initiate the process of getting them the pass...and should the demi-human get into ANY trouble within the city walls, they run the risk of losing their pass altogether.

Employers would have to go to the Docks to interview and recruit any demi-human employees of course. Imagine a dridder working for a tailor, a Naga working as a bouncer in a saloon, or a Harpy working as a deliverywoman for a local messenger, or mail service. There's a lot of possibilities with this idea.

It would also allow people to write stories about demi-humans trying to make a living within the city walls, and having to deal with being outsiders within the city of Negav. Of course, its not like there would be a lot of demi-humans working within the city, since an employer would probably be taking a risk to hire one as well. I think, given the chance, some would though.

Last edited by rcs619 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:45 pm

It makes sense to me. If I were on the council, I would leave no avenues unexplored. That includes securing the young of certain hybrid species and raising them for the purpose of serving the Magiocrats. It may seem somewhat dark but I'd doubt that option hasn't been presented at some point.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:47 pm

gt500x wrote:
It makes sense to me. If I were on the council, I would leave no avenues unexplored. That includes securing the young of certain hybrid species and raising them for the purpose of serving the Magiocrats. It may seem somewhat dark but I'd doubt that option hasn't been presented at some point.

Nononono, Im not talking about stealing and training them. The Magiocrats are not evil overlords, who's every action is some kind of dark and nefarious scheme (although, there are likely a few schemes here and there).

Im talking about recruiting them.

These are all human-sized species that live around Negav. That's why I made sure to call them demi-humans, and not hybrids (to avoid confusion with their giant cousins), and listed the location each could be found. The Inu and Nekos living within Negav would have the chance to earn a position of respect, and higher pay. The Nagas, Dridders and Harpies of the Motamo Docks would actually get to go inside the city (since they are normally forbidden from it), and earn money to support their families. They'd be able to buy food and supplies from the Negav markets and take it back home with them.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 pm

I know what you meant. But I'm just saying, the option could have also been put out there before. (If I was on the council, I'd be the one proposing it.)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:54 pm

gt500x wrote:
I know what you meant. But I'm just saying, the option could have also been put out there before.

Ahh, gotcha. I was worried I hadn't conveyed the idea well. ^^;

I think the current Magiocrat council would be a bit less...extreme about things though. There's plenty of incentives for demi-humans to want to work for them, or their military. They'd just need to get a program designed, and implement it.

Actually, I wonder if the Vishmitals might consider this option as well...although, I can't say Im too familiar with their views on things.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:03 pm

I wish I could say that I understood the thought processes of either side, but I would guess that the Vishmitals would be best gettin with the program or take the chance of the Magiocrats gaining the upperhand in any possible power struggles, even if it only appears to be an advantage. I haven't explored that aspect of Felarya enough though. This topic definitely makes me curious.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea. As for the elves I'm pretty sure they have members on the council.

To quote the wiki -"Because many of the most powerful native mages working with the Magiocracy are Elves". The Elves traded their extensive magical knowledge for a safe place for their people in Negav.

I actually see a decent showing of Nekos in the Isolon Fist, if not so many on the actual council. Tauric species, maybe a little bit less. And I'm not sure even that service would get them past the prohibition on them owning property in Negav.

One idea I had was the Council searching out magically gifted youth and letting them go through the Isolon University for "free", in exchange for a set number of years in the Fist.

And I do guess every species would have something to offer, I suppose. But most of the tauric types might not be so used to a strict military-style organization, aside from dridders. And dridders aren't known for being great mages (but they would make really good support soldiers for mages).

Though I'm not sure the more manipulative magiocrats would be happy about bringing the races together. I think one reason that Nekomura gets screwed over is because if the nekos actually banded together, they could still shake up how things run in Negav. The current situation allows the Magiocrats to keep this neko population center in sort of a chokehold. The Motamo Docks would rarely be a problem because they're no real sense of identity (yet). It's sort of many little communities squished together. Not really an important point, but an interesting one.

As for the Vishmitals - it's not really been described what their culture and customs are like. I guess it depends where they considered themselves an Empire of Humans or a Human Empire - wether humanity or the empire itself came first. If they're human-centric, they'd probably reject help from anyone else. If they care more about the empire, they'd accept multiple species working together for a greater good. They might even get along well with dridders with more old-school ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:35 am

Quote :
One idea I had was the Council searching out magically gifted youth and letting them go through the Isolon University for "free", in exchange for a set number of years in the Fist.

That's about what I figured too.

Quote :
And I do guess every species would have something to offer, I suppose. But most of the tauric types might not be so used to a strict military-style organization, aside from dridders. And dridders aren't known for being great mages (but they would make really good support soldiers for mages).

lol, most humans aren't used to military-style organization. That's why new recruits go through so much training, drills, boot camp, and so on. It isn't just about getting them physically fit, and weeding out the unfit, its about getting them used to military life and how its organized.

Quote :
Though I'm not sure the more manipulative magiocrats would be happy about bringing the races together.

Well yeah. It isn't going to be 100% supported by the Council, especially the older and/or more traditional members that just really don't like/trust demi-humans. But I think the majority of the Council would accept that the demi-humans do have potential to be useful, and are willing to at least tolerate them if it helps make their government and military stronger.

Quote :
As for the Vishmitals - it's not really been described what their culture and customs are like. I guess it depends where they considered themselves an Empire of Humans or a Human Empire - wether humanity or the empire itself came first. If they're human-centric, they'd probably reject help from anyone else. If they care more about the empire, they'd accept multiple species working together for a greater good. They might even get along well with dridders with more old-school ideas.

Indeed. Although, I don't think the non-dridder demi-humans would be as different from the humans of Negav as you think. It isn't like they never interact with humans. There are plenty of people living in the Chimikai Commons. The Motamo Docks residents are going to interact with them. I think you'd see the demi-humans of the near-Negav area acting more "human-like" than wild ones, just because they interact with humans a lot more. Its kind of like the cultural difference between Nekos in Negav, and the ones over in Nekomura.

Hmm, thinking more on this subject. I wonder if it may be possible for the demi-humans of the docks to maybe get "work passes" into Negav, allowing them to enter the city to find, and then work, at a local business. They would just need to be out of the city by a certain time following the end of work.I imagine quite a few businesses could make use of demi-human help. Dridders working for tailors, a Naga working as a bouncer in a saloon, a Harpy working for a messenger/mail service. There's a lot of potential possibilities. This would also let people tell stories about demi-humans in Negav, which I think would be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:02 am

I like this idea. A lot. Especially given that if the rulers of Negav are smart, they would use opportunities that present themselves to them. One thing though is that they could also use Neeras spies, given their diminutive stature and outstanding hearing.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:39 am

I think this idea is really neat because it has so much potential for intra-Magiocrat intrigue.

Edit:
The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was protesters marching down the streets of Nagav. I don't know if any Magiocrats would truly take the position that it's the morally right thing to give more rights and integration but it would probably be pretty popular amongst off-worlders with cultures similar to our own modern western culture, not to mention many of the demi-humans. There probably would be those that would like to use the demi-humans as an additional powerbase for themselves.

The thought came to mind of a special group (partially inspired by Babylon 5's Psi Corps, in-particular the Psi-Cops) that in exchange for their service would get special privileges, perhaps full access to the city. Along with this of course came the idea of nagas in snazzy paramilitary uniforms. geek

Last edited by 2Ron2R on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addtional ideas.)
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:05 am

I'd say that nagas, dridders and harpies would have it a bit harder to be included, let alone seen with anything else than suspicion, considering most people are used to know of the ones that go around eating them
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:56 am

Regardless of suspicion, I think at least a few Magiocrats would try to push for this. Simply because they seem to be politically smart, and in politics it's good to have friends.

A Magiocrat who is seen as more radical or is untrusted could find friends by supporting the local nagas, for example. Friends and allies are very important, especially in a place like Negav.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Quote :
I like this idea. A lot. Especially given that if the rulers of Negav are smart, they would use opportunities that present themselves to them. One thing though is that they could also use Neeras spies, given their diminutive stature and outstanding hearing.

That is actually an interesting idea.

Yeah, the Magiocrats are pretty smart. They have rules, sure. But they've always struck me as the kind of group that is more than willing to bend or break their own rules if it will help. They ARE poltiicians afterall.

Quote :
don't know if any Magiocrats would truly take the position that it's the morally right thing to give more rights and integration

Well, yeah. It isn't really about what is morally right (although, Im sure there are plenty of people in Negav that probably do think its right. The Negavians, the actual Negavians, not the transients from offworld, are not going to be one solid group. There's going to be all kinds of different opinions when it comes to demi-humans, their rights and how they should be treated). This would be about what could benefit the Magiocrats, and the businesses of Negav. Its more about being practical and efficient with all your assets, than about morals...or at least that is how I think it would be explained.

Quote :
Along with this of course came the idea of nagas in snazzy paramilitary uniforms.

Well, yes. Putting demi-humans in snazzy uniforms was an ulterior motive of this. Who doesn't like a cute girl (or guy, for the ladies out there) in uniform?

Also thoughts of Naga shop clerks, and Harpy messengers came to mind, and those seem pretty neat too.

Quote :
I'd say that nagas, dridders and harpies would have it a bit harder to be included, let alone seen with anything else than suspicion, considering most people are used to know of the ones that go around eating them

Oh yeah, it'd be a tough experience at first. I think quite a few would end up making friends though. Either with coworkers, regular customers, squadmates (in the case of those who go into the military), and so on. Those friendships make it all worthwhile though, since you're getting to see people overcome their prejudices and misconceptions about someone who is different.

I figure most of the non-government/military jobs would be in the middle district. The low district would probably be too dangerous for demi-humans.

Quote :
Regardless of suspicion, I think at least a few Magiocrats would try to push for this. Simply because they seem to be politically smart, and in politics it's good to have friends.

A Magiocrat who is seen as more radical or is untrusted could find friends by supporting the local nagas, for example. Friends and allies are very important, especially in a place like Negav.

Yep. Even more importanly, I imagine the more radical (by the older members' standards) Magiocrats would probably support eachother. It is a Council, and largely polices itself. As long as you have the support of a large enough number of members, you should be fine. Who else could call for the removal of a Magiocrat, besides another Magiocrat? ...and if that member has enough support behind him/her, the person who doesn't like him/her is just going to keep quiet, or at least be cautious.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 5:00 pm

100 years later, Negav is now the haven for all human-sized humanoids. Dridders and humans live in harmony in the streets without any form of prejudice. Seeing a naga swallow a melon whole then belly dance is now a common event in establishments such as bars. Dridders making tricks with their silk is often seen to impress children. Harpies doing choreographies in the air for the family to see in parks. Mermaid singers are now all the rage. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 am

rcs619 wrote:
Well, yeah. It isn't really about what is morally right (although, Im sure there are plenty of people in Negav that probably do think its right. The Negavians, the actual Negavians, not the transients from offworld, are not going to be one solid group. There's going to be all kinds of different opinions when it comes to demi-humans, their rights and how they should be treated). This would be about what could benefit the Magiocrats, and the businesses of Negav. Its more about being practical and efficient with all your assets, than about morals...or at least that is how I think it would be explained.
That sentence was meant as more of a segue between the expression of my initial impression of the thread title and the idea that some would try to use such ideas to make themselves look good and try to get those groups in their political pocket, even if they had no real intention of actually delivering genuine rights (as opposed to mere utilization). Sorry if I wasn't terribly clear.
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm

That's an interesting idea. It makes sense and politically there is pros and cons to accept that, meaning there would be different camps among magiocrats which can spice things a bit.

Actually I had planned something a little similar in the manga for later with a special and mysterious isolon fist unit made of non-humans and working with excellent efficiency, with each theirs speciality.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Karbo wrote:
That's an interesting idea. It makes sense and politically there is pros and cons to accept that, meaning there would be different camps among magiocrats which can spice things a bit.

Actually I had planned something a little similar in the manga for later with a special and mysterious isolon fist unit made of non-humans and working with excellent efficiency, with each theirs speciality.

Ooooh, that IS interesting.

I was mainly talking about mixing demi-humans into current squads, but an all demi-human squad would certainly be interesting. There's a lot of different ways you could go with that. Nagas, Dridders, Nekos and Inu with machine guns and rocket launchers (not to mention the battlemages). Do want.

I could imagine them being especially dangerous to go up against, since they would really have a motivation to prove themselves, and prove that they are just as capable as the other, mostly human squads.

What about my ideas for the civillain side of things, with the work passes for the demi-humans from the Motamo Docks? Think that is possible as well? Seems like that could add a nice bit of variety to the city, as well as open up some interesting possibilities for stories and art. I had a random flash of an idea just the other night.

- A human guy visits the same shop/bar/cafe all the time.
- He regularly chats with the cute girl behind the counter.
- He finally works up the nerve to ask her out on a date.
- It turns out she's a Naga.

There's a lot of potential for some nice, slice-of-life kind of stuff, about people just trying to make it in a big city.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Karbo wrote:

Make sure to add a Mocking Harpy for comic relief. XD
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Whoah whoah whoah......I thought that most of these predator species arn't even ALLOWED in Negav, much less the isolon fist.... or magiocrat council......
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Grave wrote:
Whoah whoah whoah......I thought that most of these predator species arn't even ALLOWED in Negav, much less the isolon fist.... or magiocrat council......

Yes, they are allowed within Negav. They are not, however, allowed to live there - they can't own property in Negav.

The exact amount of restriction to their movement while actually in Negav is not really clearly defined. Some interpret is as free movement, with the prejudice of locals mainly acting as the limiting factor of where they can go, while others interpret it with various forms , work passes and curfews, also to varying degrees.

@Cliff

Ya, I had a few ideas for slice-of-life style ideas for the Docks, and Negav as a whole. If I get enough down in the Amuse-Geule thread maybe I'll compile (I already tried it once with dridders). The cultural interactions could be very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:12 pm

I think if any of these species got on the magiocrat council every neera and tiny in the city would have a heart-attack.

Unless of course there were equal representation for neera and tinies in this demi-human initiative......

Like neera scouts/assassins.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Grave wrote:
I think if any of these species got on the magiocrat council every neera and tiny in the city would have a heart-attack.

Unless of course there were equal representation for neera and tinies in this demi-human initiative......

Well, we're discussing them being part of the Isolon Fist. The Magiocrats themselves are nearly all humans and some elves I think.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Still, neeras and tinies should be considered as well, they have just as much to contribute to both society and the isolon fist!
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Grave wrote:
Still, neeras and tinies should be considered as well, they have just as much to contribute to both society and the isolon fist!

An Isolon Fist neera... with her neko partner. That would be.... interesting.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Quote :
Yes, they are allowed within Negav. They are not, however, allowed to live there - they can't own property in Negav.

The exact amount of restriction to their movement while actually in Negav is not really clearly defined. Some interpret is as free movement, with the prejudice of locals mainly acting as the limiting factor of where they can go, while others interpret it with various forms , work passes and curfews, also to varying degrees.

Indeed. If there is free movement, then the work pass idea would be a bit pointless...but the story potential of demi-humans trying to make it in Negav is still there. Waiting to be explored.

I assumed a total restriction of the Nagas, Dridders and other species of the Motamo Docks from entering the city. They could always justify it by saying that if these demi-humans were let in, they would just antagonize the population, etc, etc.

But yeah, currently it isn't specifically defined. Im fine with whatever gets decided though. The main point of my idea is to broach the subject of demi-humans interacting with people, and working in Negav...and all of the situations and stories that could come from that. That goal can be accomplished with either free movement, or a work pass system =)

Quote :
I think if any of these species got on the magiocrat council every neera and tiny in the city would have a heart-attack

I wasn't talking about one getting on the Council. I don't think the Magiocrats are quite THAT progressive. Currently, the only non-humans known to be on the council, are Elves. Perhaps the Magiocrats don't see Elves as demi-humans, but as another type of human. Or maybe the Elves are just powerful enough to earn their respect.

I was primarily talking about demi-human integration into 3 main social areas:

- The Isolon Fist, as soldiers and battlemages.
- The Negav government, as clerks, messengers, assistants, and so on.
- Negavian businesses, such as shops, inns, bars, etc.

Quote :

I believe Sean suggested the idea of Neera spies.

Im sure there would be jobs that a Neera would be good at. Tasks requiring extreme precision, that their tiny hands would be great at. Small scultures maybe? Or watchmaking? Neera would definately need a work pass though, since they are usually required to stay wtihin that one area within the city.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demi-human integration initiative   Demi-human integration initiative Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demi-human integration initiative
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next