Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions Empty
PostSubject: A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions   A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 8:45 pm

I surprised myself by how long I have been away; wrapped up in college related stresses, this place escaped my mind. While I have kept up with Karbo's work, I find myself far behind a number of happenings in the Felarya community-apparently the Prey sector is getting a bit too big for its britches. Wink

I've mentioned being an engineering student a number of times-well, I was an engineering student. A number of weeks ago, my dad and I talked about my major, and whether or not I was really enjoying it. In all truth, my real passion was in philosophy and writing-in that order. When I was in 10th grade, my biggest ambition was to be a writer: I gave up on my dream after hearing either the sheer difficulty or impossibility of being published; and how liberal arts degrees are worthless in the eyes of employers. After a while this disillusionment turned into outright disdain for writing as little more than a time consuming hobby-so, I fell into the popular trap of hating liberal arts. I focused on engineering, because it's one of the highest arts in a way-the world as my tapestry. Going through engineering made me realize how out of my element I was. I just couldn't keep up with the Calculus.

Against the wisdom of the times, and of of the majority, I have decided to major in philosophy at a liberal arts college. I intend to study my way to a PhD, in order to become a professor. Am I sacrificing any kind of job security? Yes. Are the odds against me? I accept that it will be very hard, and that I will have to compete with thousands. Will I end up working at Borders or McDonalds? Possibly, but it's an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. In short, I plan to do what makes me happy-poverty or not. None of the money in the world is worth a damn if it is earned doing something you hate.

As for publishing, the success of a couple of Felarya writers with Lulu.com definitely reawakened my publishing dreams.
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions   A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 8:58 pm

Glad to hear you're deciding to pursue a career in something that you enjoy rather than a career in something that is out of your interests, despite the proposed difficulty of doing so. Go get that PhD! I'll be rootin' for ya'.

Also, glad to see ya' again and hope your stress has been lessening ^^.

(Calculus is a bitch; I got an Exam for it in six days)
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions   A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 10:48 am

Well I say : Bravo ! lol!

I think in life there is nothing more important than doing what you *really* think you are made for and enjoying. Go for it man Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions   A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 11:17 am

I wish you good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions   A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Long Absence, and rethinking Career Directions
Page 1 of 1