Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Martial Arts

Go down 
+18
TheQuantumMechanic
MegaDan5
Flare
zalzas
Mentalguy
lami
/Fish/
Raveolution
Karbo
Haar
Silent_eric
Claire
Warrior3000
GREGOLE
gwadahunter2222
ZionAtriedes
Malahite
Shady Knight
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felarya Martial Arts Empty
PostSubject: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Well, we got mutliple dimensions and multiple planets connecting to Felarya. Among them, what kind of martial arts each world use? Surely Earth is not the only planet with people trained in the graceful art of punches in the face and kicks in the ass.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Depends entirely on species type. Ones with baseline demi-humans would likely be quite similar to modern earth, with perhaps more-or-less grace, focus on types of blows, etc. Peak / Super demi-human worlds would likely have much different martial art styles.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Of course. For instance, I plan on introducing a character from a part of the world Gaea (Zion, Leif, and Kenson's homeworld) that uses arts that seem similar to Shaolin, but with some psionic twists. Kenson uses a martial art that resembles a mix of standard karate and judo with a taido flair.

Remember, a realistic world wouldn't be one culture. Think of it like Earth: on one planet, we have various cultures and styles. Surely, a single world elsewhere would as well.

I've also considered introducing a shamanistic character who uses a mix of spiritualist shamanism and old South American fighting styles, like capoeira.

The most frightening idea, however, is the concept of a pred skilled in martial arts. However, they'd have to be adapted to fighting someone much, much smaller than them.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 8:01 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:

The most frightening idea, however, is the concept of a pred skilled in martial arts. However, they'd have to be adapted to fighting someone much, much smaller than them.
It's the case of the scarlet elves Very Happy
for the case of smaller prey it's just a question of accuracy, some masters in martial art can grab a fly without killing it with two of their fingers Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Hmm... dridder-fu... It'd either be a really boring string of poison jabs and leg stabbing, or else a really fun mass of tangled legs and poison bitch-slaps...

Quote :
for the case of smaller prey it's just a
question of accuracy, some masters in martial art can grab a fly
without killing it with two of their fingers Laughing

I did that once by complete accident.

I'm awsm. XP
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Most predator's don't really need Martial Arts when capturing prey. If the prey can defend itself from your normal blows, odds are it can dish a whole 'nother world of hurt on you even if you are a black belt of some art.

For Pred-v-Pred, there would probably be different techniques depending on which Predator you faced.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 5:14 am

I got two preds (sort of) with martial art skills. My Mountain Harpy uses kicks for the most part, and sometimes her wings. My other naga, a male fire naga, was raised by monks, so he's pretty gifted in martial arts. He can even "kick" with his tail. I got the idea of him being good at martial arts from playing Double Dragon.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 7:24 am

In theory many martial are based on move of animals, so in theory many hybrid predators are natural users Very Happy
If some predator can become good spellcaster wh not they can become good martial artist.
Back to top Go down
Warrior3000
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Warrior3000

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 8:36 am

naga kung fu would end badly... imagine a knoted up writhing mas of naga tails.
nekos would probably make excellent martail artist they are human sized and have legs their major advantage is the cat like reflexes.
Drdders could dish out a TON of kicks considering they have eight legs and would be good at a fighting style that centered around kicks.
as for mermaids im unsure of the ethics of under water combat...
Back to top Go down
http://w-3-k.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 8:47 am

Warrior3000 wrote:
nekos would probably make excellent martail artist they are human sized and have legs their major advantage is the cat like reflexes.
Drdders could dish out a TON of kicks considering they have eight legs and would be good at a fighting style that centered around kicks.
as for mermaids im unsure of the ethics of under water combat...
I disagree, naga's could make good martial artists. If you can't kick ass, punch face instead.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 10:27 am

Warrior3000 wrote:
You forget martial art don't limit to kung fu Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:55 am

Big Question: Think the Felaryan inhabitants were smart enough to move beyond the classic "Dead Hand" error in martial arts (Where as the mugger / opponent is always using only one hand)?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Malahite wrote:
Big Question: Think the Felaryan inhabitants were smart enough to move beyond the classic "Dead Hand" error in martial arts (Where as the mugger / opponent is always using only one hand)?
I think depending of the race and character it can give:
Dridder:"I don't need my venom/ my web"
Harpy: "I can beat you without flying."
Fairies: "I don't need my magic."
Anko to a human: "I won't use my hands.
A silver succubus against a full armored opponent: "I need one finger."
Vivian:"I won't use my boobs."
Back to top Go down
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Claire

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Well the wiki stats with Nagas is that they DO use their fists in combat so i would imagine that a type of martial arts does exist.

The Naga i am designing for my story. (Naga Queen?) does know martial arts, and is almost perfect at hand to hand combat and with submission techniques.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 4:59 am

Claire wrote:
Well the wiki stats with Nagas is that they DO use their fists in combat so i would imagine that a type of martial arts does exist.

The Naga i am designing for my story. (Naga Queen?) does know martial arts, and is almost perfect at hand to hand combat and with submission techniques.
I think there's no Naga Queen. If there would be a leader for them, it might be Guardian Trejal. Oh yeah, I designed a Fire Naga that was raised by monks at very young age. He learned martial arts from them and, over the years, he's a grand master at close combat. His style centers on quick, powerful non-stop combinations. Kinda like Ryu from Street Fighters meet Billy Lee from Double Dragon.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 6:05 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I think there's no Naga Queen.

Well of course there is a naga queen. In fact, I bet there are more than one. If there is a tribe or city or collection of nagas in Felarya anywhere, and it is ruled by a woman in a monarchy, then there you go. Naga Queen.

Of course, I get what you are saying, and there likely isn't a 'Queen of all Nagas Everywhere'. And even if there was, I doubt all nagas would listen to her, and many of them wouldn't even know of the likely self proclaimed Naga Queen. After all, Felarya is a big place with lots of nagas. And they don't have any method of sending messages over large distance other than carrier-harpy.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Haar
Great warrior
Great warrior
Haar

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 6:55 am

Silent_eric wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Well of course there is a naga queen. In fact, I bet there are more than one. If there is a tribe or city or collection of nagas in Felarya anywhere, and it is ruled by a woman in a monarchy, then there you go. Naga Queen.

Of course, I get what you are saying, and there likely isn't a 'Queen of all Nagas Everywhere'. And even if there was, I doubt all nagas would listen to her, and many of them wouldn't even know of the likely self proclaimed Naga Queen. After all, Felarya is a big place with lots of nagas. And they don't have any method of sending messages over large distance other than carrier-harpy.

Yeah...Carrier harpy...

"Yo, no-brain! I got a #$*@#ing message for ya from that #$#@er friend of yours. He says, 'Hey, %#@*, how the %#$@* are ya, ya $%*@ @#*$( @#$%*ing @#*)!* @(#$*@$-bag?'"
Back to top Go down
http://haar.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 7:04 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Claire

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 9:20 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Claire wrote:

I think there's no Naga Queen. If there would be a leader for them, it might be Guardian Trejal.

There has to be some kind of leader, or something, the Reason being is becuase If lets say they go to war with dridders for example there has to be some kind of organization. Its hard for a race to go to war if there is no organization or leader, or anything like that.

As far as Guardians go, The wiki stats that there just mysterious background forces. Karbo even restated it to me, and i respect his wishes. They just protect the land from being taken over.

Silent_eric wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

I like this theory a lot and it makes sense. I didn't know if there was one and was a little confused lol cause everyone i keep asking if theres a Naga queen have no idea. This theory explains a lot about the subject.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:53 am

Claire wrote:
I like this theory a lot and it makes sense. I didn't know if there was one and was a little confused lol cause everyone i keep asking if theres a Naga queen have no idea. This theory explains a lot about the subject.

Well I"m glad you like it. ^^
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:57 am

I think there would be naga tribe leaders, alpha fe/males basically. And in case of a war, one that would rise to the status of a war chief...
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:58 am

Claire wrote:

There has to be some kind of leader, or something, the Reason being is becuase If lets say they go to war with dridders for example there has to be some kind of organization.
The anonymous war on Scientology disagrees with this. Leaders help to organize things, but they aren't necessary.

And personally, I would have expected a King instead of a Queen in a mostly-female society. Why? While having a small-portion be the 'serfs' of a system helps to prevent successful 'revolutions', it also severely limits work progress. Males would also be a rarity, and something I wouldn't expect a large number of females to be willing to 'share' (Yet the male to be just fine with such an view).
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 2:23 pm

I'm sure certain regions would have tribes of nagas with a leader, but I'd avoid anything called a "naga queen". Remember the UN from "Crisis & Scarecrow"? No offense intended, but most of us really disliked that part.

I think if there's a head naga, she would only have authority over her own tribe.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 10:15 am

Back to martial arts.

My character Mantis' father is a mausu who has extensively trained in martial arts- that is his only means of defense against Felarya's predators. Mantis might have the wings of a fairy, but he cannot use magic either. Thus, he too must rely on physical combat. It seemed natural for a being on a magical planet that does not have magical talents of their own to develop other means of defense, especially if they would be more disadvantaged than humans because of their size.

Being of this nature, Mantis actually has the advantage against Felarya's insectoid predators, since he does not have the weakness associated with most other Felaryan fairies- their dependence on magic in combat.

I rather like the idea of martial arts being developed out of necessity rather than sport. Felarya-fu, anyone?
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 6:01 am

while martial arts can help you as a prey, if your a predator, you dont really need much skill other than grabbing your opponent and eating them, thats really all it takes is a successfull grab attack, because of how stupidly invoulnerable every predators stomach is, taking hits doesnt matter any more, in RPG terms, every character has 1 hit point, better pump up that dex and put ranks into dodge,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Martial Arts   Felarya Martial Arts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Martial Arts
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next