Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Magic in Felarya: does size matter?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

Magic in Felarya: does size matter? Empty
PostSubject: Magic in Felarya: does size matter?   Magic in Felarya: does size matter? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 am

Well, obviously yes, size does matter, of course, so I guess a more meaningful question might be: how much does it matter, when pertaining specifically to the use of magic?

See, I've been playing around with some ideas for another Felarya-based story, and I was struck with an interesting question: does being giant simply scale your magic up to giant size, or is it more complicated than that? Say, for example, that there's a human wizard who can cast a fireball capable of incinerating an average human-sized target. Would an equally skilled/talented naga wizard be able to incinerate a naga-sized target? Or would she only be able to manage a human-sized fireball? Something in between?

I'm assuming there has to be some degree of scaling, simply because human-sized versions of a lot of spells (especially utility and healing effects) would be virtually useless to someone Crisis-sized. This question becomes even more interesting when you factor in the size-changing magic that fairies use.

I don't know if this topic has been covered and explained already and I just didn't see it, but if not, it seems like a worthy subject. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

(PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure whether this should go in General Discussion or Ideas Discussion, so I just stuck it here. Feel free to move it if necessary. Razz)
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya: does size matter?   Magic in Felarya: does size matter? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 am

A human wizard can incinerate a giant naga but not with the same spell.
A naga wizard can incinerate with a same spell naga size target and a human size target.
It's my point.

It's it can incinerate a naga it can incinerate a human too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya: does size matter?   Magic in Felarya: does size matter? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 3:52 am

I do not think magical power scales. A better point to make in a story would likely be that most Predators live several decades / centuries, so they have much more time to practice.

Why do I say it doesn't scale? Because then, if a human mage was shrunk by a Faerie, you'd be saying his Lightning Bolt spell does less damage.

Even being lightning still.

Similarly, you'd be giving things like Dridder Mages enough power to leave reasonably sized glassed craters on the ground with each Lightning Bolt, Fireball, etc.

I'd say to instead go with the Age thing. There are not that many humans who can make full use of Felarya's nature (And many who can are in areas that using such powers [cities] would be detrimental to their cause) to improve their powers, but almost any Predator tribe could. Better yet, the age thing makes it much more likely for there to already be an experienced Predator to teach another one about the Magic. A Neko may need to try to decipher a mage's spell book as they were eaten three-some centuries ago. A Dryad could ask the one who ate the Mage for magical advice, look for the local Diamond Naga and request some lessons from him / her, etc.

Now, if the species is specifically stated to have great magical talent [and not just be capable of casting spells], then I can see someone giving the Predator more power while the same age as humanoid Mage in the same School.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya: does size matter?   Magic in Felarya: does size matter? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic in Felarya: does size matter?
Page 1 of 1