Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block

Go down 
+6
Jætte_Troll
Karbo
codaman
vegeta002
mdbear84
/Fish/
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 pm

Ah, yeah, I think I mis-worded with the Kensha beast. I guess as long as you keep the prey people on the low points then it will work. And now that I think about it, the prey that would be hard to catch would probably be character prey anyways...

Is there going to be something for the prey to do, I guess? It would seem sort of a waste to just be tossing them out there to be gobbled up. Maybe you could make them easier to get out on the field somehow... some of them could be "unblockable" if their quick ones. I guess the prey sort of need a "role" in this style of play. Though you could give varied abilities that could be good - if you can get them off before your prey gets eaten.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 11:18 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Ah, yeah, I think I mis-worded with the Kensha beast. I guess as long as you keep the prey people on the low points then it will work. And now that I think about it, the prey that would be hard to catch would probably be character prey anyways...

Is there going to be something for the prey to do, I guess? It would seem sort of a waste to just be tossing them out there to be gobbled up. Maybe you could make them easier to get out on the field somehow... some of them could be "unblockable" if their quick ones. I guess the prey sort of need a "role" in this style of play. Though you could give varied abilities that could be good - if you can get them off before your prey gets eaten.

There is definitely a gameplan for smaller creatures; 'weenies' as they're called. In Felarya, the humans and demihumans best suited for survival, know when to hide, stay alert, and only try to take on something bigger than them when they know they have the advantage. Playing human and demihuman 'prey' will be about fending off the larger creatures, hiding and using resources like lands and spells to sneak damage in until they have an advantage.

Alternately, you could throw them in a deck with creatures that have Devour- not Vore-, and sacrifice them to bulk these creatures up. 'Tossing them out there to be gobbled up' by your own creatures = not really much better than them being vored by the opponent's. ~_~
Back to top Go down
bigman27622
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
bigman27622

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 1:59 pm

man i am sorry but i must say that Crisis would be at least as strong as the BFM.... big furry monster
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:19 pm

bigman27622 wrote:
man i am sorry but i must say that Crisis would be at least as strong as the BFM.... big furry monster

Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Big_fu10

OH SHI-
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Yeah, but right now Crisis is only about as tough as a Kensha. Surely she could beat a Kensha... right? Has she ever fought one...?
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Yeah, but right now Crisis is only about as tough as a Kensha. Surely she could beat a Kensha... right? Has she ever fought one...?

I believe that an average giant can have 5/5, the same that I've given kenshas, and be pretty accurate, though a giant naga has the powerful tail. If putting a giant naga into the context of a wurm of similar size, I think nagas would receive more for power and toughness. So Crisis and most nagas would probably be a 6/6, since they have protection and the weapon of a great tail/ dridders have exoskeleton, sharp legs and fangs. Beasts like kenshas, though, are going to be in packs... Might alter them a bit from what I have now. Fairies at giant size, probably 5/5. I don't want to beef any side up too much, so I'm doing a lot of comparisons to other creatures as of now.

I believe Crisis would not take on a kensha if she didn't have to. That's six poison-clawed legs, a mouth of massive sharp teeth, and they often come in packs. In the manga, she opts to hide from at least two she sees in the distance. So I'd keep kenshas as a big threat even to giants.

Currently the abilities for kensha beasts is:

Poisonous 2 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets two poison counters. A player with ten or more poison counters loses the game.)
Affinity for Kenshas (This spell costs 1 less to play for each Kensha you control.)

I'm thinking of altering it to:
-Poisonous 2 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets two poison counters. A player with ten or more poison counters loses the game.)
OR
Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
-Bands with other Kenshas (Any number of attacking creatures with banding or bands with other Kenshas can form a band. Blocking a creature in the band blocks all of them. You assign combat damage for any creature blocking or blocked by this creature and another creature with bands with other Kenshas.)
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Updated with some more characters- Drayla, Anko, Subeta etc.- as well as three artifacts whose effects are based on the Predator Trinity, all added to the list on first post.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:21 am

I really like the new cards - especially Ryla. I like how she could fit into any deck. On the other hand, I would find it sort of hard to use Vivian - to use her at her maximum potential you'd need a tri-colour deck, which not all people like that much. You sort of have to choose which of her abilities you like more...

The artifacts are cool, especially the closet. I think you're going to have to start recruiting some artists to fill in some things. But more Felarya art is awesome. : D

Will you make non character pred cards? Like, just "Giant Naga", "Mermaid", "Dryad", etc? Probably a bit weaker than the characters and without all the nice flavourful abilities (except Vore, of course. Gotta keep that.)
Back to top Go down
bigman27622
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
bigman27622

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm

three colored deck?????? sounds like Alara...
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I really like the new cards - especially Ryla. I like how she could fit into any deck. On the other hand, I would find it sort of hard to use Vivian - to use her at her maximum potential you'd need a tri-colour deck, which not all people like that much. You sort of have to choose which of her abilities you like more...

Ah, well concerning Vivian, using some powerful dark magic seems to be something she wouldn't normally invoke, and if you were playing a different strategy with blue-green it likely wouldn't be an issue not to use it. If you can think of a different way that could represent this dark kind of magic she can use without forcing her to use three colors of mana to use her full potential, just let me know.

Quote :
The artifacts are cool, especially the closet. I think you're going to have to start recruiting some artists to fill in some things. But more Felarya art is awesome. : D

Hehe, the Closet is based on a non-canonical running gag, but I thought I could use the concept as the base of an artifact.

As for the art, I'm not going to be hasty about it. Anyone is welcome to illustrate a creature or character, and I'll be incorporating the things Karbo has illustrated when he does them.

Quote :
Will you make non character pred cards? Like, just "Giant Naga", "Mermaid", "Dryad", etc? Probably a bit weaker than the characters and without all the nice flavourful abilities (except Vore, of course. Gotta keep that.)

Yep, I have a few I was working on such as these:

Naga Tribesman:
Spoiler:

For some reason everyone forgets that smaller nagas are the most plentiful, while giant nagas are much rarer. I cringe when people use the term 'naga-sized' to describe what they mean as 'giant-sized'.

A giant naga:
Spoiler:

Giant Centaur:
Spoiler:

Giant Dryad:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 5:11 pm

This would have been a personal choice by me and I can see how it might be different for you, but I probably would have just made Vivian blue/black.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
This would have been a personal choice by me and I can see how it might be different for you, but I probably would have just made Vivian blue/black.

Spoiler:

I definitely see where you're coming from, how does this seem to you?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, like I said, I like that approach better. I think it sort of fits in how you're approaching the other naga characters. My logic is black as she is a shadow mage and blue due to her habitat (and her general magic ability, especially affecting minds Wink). Seemed to fit better in my mind...
Back to top Go down
mdbear84
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
mdbear84

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:41 pm

ya know, the vore ability had always seemed too complex to me, but i couldn't put my finger on why. but i think i got it now.

lets take viv for example. He ability allows her to remove 2/3 or less creatures. But what about a 3/3 creature, or a 4/3 creature? One fits but the other doesn't. what if its a 3/1 creature?
I think maybe we should stick with one or the other, not both.

If you equate size to toughness, i think that would be fair. therefore, for viv's case as an example again, how bout remove creatures with toughness 3 or less? I also noticed you haven't been sticking with vore numbers (ie: vore 3... vore 2...). It just seems like the vore ability is a bit erratic. The number of creatures keep changing, the power and toughness keeps changing. There just doesn't seem to be enough constancy with the ability.

So, as a recap, maybe the vore abilty would be better this way...

Tap, (x of character's color):Vore (x): Remove (x) creatures with toughness (y) or less from the game. (Card name) does not untap on your next untap step. (y= -3 of voreing creatures power but no less than 1 (ex: 5/5 creatures vore power would be against toughness 2 or less)
Back to top Go down
http://mdbear84.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 pm

mdbear84 wrote:
ya know, the vore ability had always seemed too complex to me, but i couldn't put my finger on why. but i think i got it now.

lets take viv for example. He ability allows her to remove 2/3 or less creatures. But what about a 3/3 creature, or a 4/3 creature? One fits but the other doesn't. what if its a 3/1 creature?
I think maybe we should stick with one or the other, not both.

If you equate size to toughness, i think that would be fair. therefore, for viv's case as an example again, how bout remove creatures with toughness 3 or less? I also noticed you haven't been sticking with vore numbers (ie: vore 3... vore 2...). It just seems like the vore ability is a bit erratic. The number of creatures keep changing, the power and toughness keeps changing. There just doesn't seem to be enough constancy with the ability.

So, as a recap, maybe the vore abilty would be better this way...

Tap, (x of character's color):Vore (x): Remove (x) creatures with toughness (y) or less from the game. (Card name) does not untap on your next untap step. (y= -3 of voreing creatures power but no less than 1 (ex: 5/5 creatures vore power would be against toughness 2 or less)

Okay, I see where you're coming from. I didn't have a formula developed that I thought could be applied to all creatures, or at least not without taking up a whole lot of unnecessary space on the card text, so I merely sized up what I thought the individual creature or character could do, and wrote that in. Crisis eating 'human-sized' creatures instead of potentially larger ones due to her not being able to unhinge her jaws and such, while giving other things that I thought could eat large creatures, or more, the amounts that seemed to be alright. BUT OKAY FINE LET'S DO IT CORRECTLY AND NOT THE EASY WAY. Hmph.

I applied your redux of the Vore ability to a card, and as rules go I believe it would be as such:
Spoiler:

So the actual text on a card would likely read:
Spoiler:

Weeeell that certainly takes up a lot of room. Let's apply it to Crisis and see what we get:
Spoiler:

Well so much for flavor text. That had to be removed so that everything wasn't at teeny-tiny font. And here is an example of where the -3 designation for the ability seems like it's pushing it just a tad, compared to Crisis' power. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
mdbear84
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
mdbear84

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 pm

well actualy, i ment that only as a guide line... The formula for the ability isn't supposed to be seen by the player, just the designer of the card. this is what was thinking

Example 1:
Tap, GGG: Vore 3: Remove 3 creatures with toughness 2 or less from the game. (name) cannot untap on your next untap step. (This is applied to a 5/5 green creature.)

Example 2:
Tap, RR: Vore 2: Remove 2 creatures with toughness 1 or less from the game. (name) cannot untap on your next untap step. (this is applied to a 3/3 red creature.)

Sorry for the confusion. hope that settles it.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:48 am

mdbear84 wrote:
well actualy, i ment that only as a guide line... The formula for the ability isn't supposed to be seen by the player, just the designer of the card. this is what was thinking

Example 1:
Tap, GGG: Vore 3: Remove 3 creatures with toughness 2 or less from the game. (name) cannot untap on your next untap step. (This is applied to a 5/5 green creature.)

Example 2:
Tap, RR: Vore 2: Remove 2 creatures with toughness 1 or less from the game. (name) cannot untap on your next untap step. (this is applied to a 3/3 red creature.)

Sorry for the confusion. hope that settles it.

Well alright then, so you want the card text to be the end result of the rules text. But since we're working with a formula, 'T: GGG, Vore 3 (Remove 3 creatures with toughness 2 or less from the game. (name) does not untap next untap phase)' can't be what's on the card, since the original power and toughness of the voring creature can be altered. That would defeat the purpose of the formula, in my opinion. Or maybe you're telling me something different.
Back to top Go down
mdbear84
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
mdbear84

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:19 pm

i figured about the growth of the creature. But looking back on the post, i relized i missed a world.

y= -3 of creatures BASE power)

Just because the size changes, i don't think the ability should change. even if crisis gets bigger, i don't see her munching on anything other than humans and nekos. (and whatever she eats when she cant get her hands on eather one)
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:00 am

character should be replaced with legend.
Back to top Go down
bigman27622
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
bigman27622

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:57 pm

hey guys.... i was thinking about the felaryan magic block and i remembered this card.... it looks like something that should be in felarya.

Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Earthbind
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm

lami wrote:
character should be replaced with legend.

The Character type is treated as a Legendary Creature, as I've mentioned. It just takes away the sense of unwarranted importance of individuals while keeping that space on the card uncluttered somewhat. If anyone wants their character to be listed as Legend instead, however, then fine.

-Zones and Subzone type lands behave by the Legendary rule also.

Mdbear, I think it would be pretty helpful for you to use the same program I am for you to show me what exactly you're saying. >>

Bigman: There's lots of cards that could be ported and fit into Felarya from the core set and such that could just be given different artwork. I see that the fairy in the artwork for that one would remind you of Felarya though lol.
Back to top Go down
mdbear84
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
mdbear84

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:36 pm

i would and i have been trying, But my pc won't run it for some reason. The program crashes before it even loads. I have tried to load it several times now, but it won't work. Sad
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:15 pm

It would be cool to see a lot of instants and sorceries based on Felarya's unstable dimensional nature... there could be one where a prey type card can be sucked out of your hand or deck right into play... as a predator snack, probably. Very Happy

Actually, something like that makes me think of a good ability for Katrika - maybe she could instant vore a prey creature coming into play, like how she waits with her mouth over dimensional portals...
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:35 am

heh that makes sense Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Just been thinking of this thread some more, looking at all the cool MtG Felaryan cards popping up on deviantart. Was thinking of brainstorming some more myself, but rather stuck at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block   Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic the Gathering: Felarya Block
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next