Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation

Go down 
+18
Rezec
TheLightLost
Shady Knight
rcs619
CauldronBorn24
luke112
ravaging vixen
Militant-Prey
/Fish/
FalconJudge
gtslover100
French snack
Jætte_Troll
Oldman40k2003
observer88
Malahite
Archmage_Bael
Anime-Junkie
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Empty
PostSubject: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:53 am

It seems to me that because Felarya 'connects' so so many worlds and universes, that there would be some variation in the humans that are in Felarya. Variations caused by such things as a harsher sun, making skin almost black and (much) thicker. Height variations caused by a slightly higher or lower gravity. Different colour skin, ie: Blue, green this can be caused by a number of things, (plant symbionts for example). Bark-like skin again possibly due to plant symbionts or naturally. Much longer arms and/or legs. Exceptionally good (or bad) night vision. Sight in other spectrums like ultraviolet, infrared etc, caused by a sun that emits in a slightly, or vastly different spectrum, this would be coupled with things like skin colour and thickness variations (because light is a spectrum, there is a great potential for variation here). I almost forgot to mention tails, extra limbs (mutation. there have been people born with them).
As yet, I haven't come up with any 'races,' but i thought it would be interesting to see what people thought of this. I believe Felarya deserves more than just what can be found on this Earth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:02 am

that' interesting, and here's where fantasy meets the human imaginaton. being able to come up with ideas to warp our own species in felarya seems interesting. spider-webbing all these different connected species and planets could get hectic though.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:07 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
that' interesting, and here's where fantasy meets the human imaginaton. being able to come up with ideas to warp our own species in Felarya seems interesting. spider-webbing all these different connected species and planets could get hectic though.
I'll be glad to help/do with the spider-webbing. I have the time and the capacity.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just fixing some minor grammactical errors.)
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:14 am

I would feel more comfortable doing it on a PC. since im using the smallest laptop ever >_>

spider webbing all the places the differently evolved humans come from would take a while. At what level would a human still be a human with all the mutations they might have?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:22 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I would feel more comfortable doing it on a PC. since im using the smallest laptop ever >_>

spider webbing all the places the differently evolved humans come from would take a while. At what level would a human still be a human with all the mutations they might have?
That depends... I think that cultural and social definitions of human would help there.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Sounds like you're using anime / Sci-Fi physics humanity development instead of regular. For example, a plant-like human? That's putting them in a different Kingdom completely than regular humans, so you couldn't call them "humans" any more. They'd just be human-like.

For some of the other things, they make more sense. Heck, I've got amongst my own characters some people who were "Void"-born (several generations in low- / no-G environments). They might work a little better, but in their cases they wouldn't be humans who evolved on that planet but were introduced later (as otherwise, again, they would not be human. Furthermore, they'd have evolved differently due to environmental factor).

Cultural changes would be good, though. And preferably not a cliche thing, such as "Aztec Planet" or "Nordic Planet".
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:19 pm

well a lot of ideas stem from manga and anime. (this I know I said in a different thread, but to reject the fact that we get drawing styles and ideas from anime and manga is to deny the felarya manga itself...*place rant stop sign here*)
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:59 am

And people wonder why Felarya's called "High Fantasy" lol!

Anyways, just beware doing something cliche is all I ask. Try to refrain from making Kryptonian Humans, "We are the people Aztec from the planet Aztecistan", "We are a dimensional hunters working to protect the stability of the Multiverse", etc.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 am

Malahite wrote:
Sounds like you're using anime / Sci-Fi physics humanity development instead of regular.

Yes, I am using sci-fi development here. Why not? Felarya isn't exactly fantasty. Unless you define fantasy as "magic & wizards + swords = fantasy."

Malahite wrote:
For some of the other things, they make more sense. Heck, I've got amongst my own characters some people who were "Void"-born (several generations in low- / no-G environments). They might work a little better, but in their cases they wouldn't be humans who evolved on that planet but were introduced later (as otherwise, again, they would not be human. Furthermore, they'd have evolved differently due to environmental factor).
That's kind of what I'm thinking of here (But it doesn't always have to be the case). It's definitely a part of science fiction and you find it in fantasy too, look at Raymond E. Feist's work. Human fleeing "the Enemy" through a magical portal too another world.

Malahite wrote:
For example, a plant-like human? That's putting them in a different Kingdom completely than regular humans, so you couldn't call them "humans" any more. They'd just be human-like.
I didn't make myself clear enough. Humans. Who have been 'infected' with plant symbionts from their enviroment, which make their skin green/bark-like etc. So they are still human.

Malahite wrote:
Cultural changes would be good, though. And preferably not a cliche thing, such as "Aztec Planet" or "Nordic Planet".
Hell no. I hate that kind of cliche.
Back to top Go down
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 am

Malahite wrote:
Anyways, just beware doing something cliche is all I ask. Try to refrain from making Kryptonian Humans, "We are the people Aztec from the planet Aztecistan", "We are a dimensional hunters working to protect the stability of the Multiverse", etc.

A one-culture world sounds like fail to me. I don't think they'd have an entire planet to themselves. Or they'd think so from a certain perspective. For example the Ancient Greeks had a very limited knowledge of the world, so when Alexander the Great reached the banks of the Indus river, he believed he had conquered the whole world. Or when Gulliver said to the Liliputians that he came from outside of the two islands of Liliput and Blefuscu, they thought he fell from the Moon, as they refused to believe that there were other lands.
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 10:47 pm

observer88 wrote:
Malahite wrote:

A one-culture world sounds like fail to me. I don't think they'd have an entire planet to themselves. Or they'd think so from a certain perspective. For example the Ancient Greeks had a very limited knowledge of the world, so when Alexander the Great reached the banks of the Indus river, he believed he had conquered the whole world. Or when Gulliver said to the Liliputians that he came from outside of the two islands of Liliput and Blefuscu, they thought he fell from the Moon, as they refused to believe that there were other lands.
Well, if you have people of a certain ethnicity moving to a new area, they will eventually colonise the whole planet (assuming no other sentient life, and even then). The people will then develop their own sub-culture (you can't have a culture that started in the tropics in the arctic). The problem with a multi-cultural colony world is that the old conflicts can flare up when people need to work together to get the colony/settlement going.
That's only if we're talking about colony worlds, parallel evolution is a different matter.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:44 am

My opinion on single culture species...

observer88 wrote:
A one-culture world sounds like fail to me. I don't think they'd have an entire planet to themselves.

A species' homeworld would almost never be a "single culture" world. To be a "single culture" world requires that communication and travel to any part of the world be very cheap any easy, and this would not be the case in the thousands of years before the invention of modern technology. Even our modern travel speeds are probably not fast enough to create a single culture world, especially not when there are thousand year old entrenched cultures.

A single culture world is probably possible for a colony of a space fairing species; it would require that all the inhabitants either come from the same culture, or be descendants of the same culture, but so long as travel is fast (like planet wide maglev trains) and communication is easy (an internet), I think it would be unlikely for a "culture fracture" to occur.

Now that I think about it, there is a way to have a "single culture" homeworld: one culture exterminates all the others. Basically, you could have a single culture homeworld if that culture was like the NAZIs.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:08 am

Felarya vs. the Planet of the Nazis? Sounds like the best B-Movie ever.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:20 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Felarya vs. the Planet of the Nazis? Sounds like the best B-Movie ever.

Oh, please, no. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 am

Hey, the Nazis were into the occult. Wonder how WWII would have turned out if they used portals to Felarya as weapons... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
observer88
observer88

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 11:36 am

Here's a thought:

Humans from different worlds having different origins. So these worlds have this one species that is a highly adaptive jack-of-all-trades with its given appearance that calls itself "Human". But from what have these human evolved, or how were they created? On some world they have evolved from apes (like on our own Earth). On another some godly entity breathed life into a speck of dust or lump of clay creating some sort of advanced golem (sound familiar?). Or another where they may be an offshoot of another humanoid species. Or one where extraterrestrials tampered with local life-forms and seeding the planet with intelligent life.

But then with these variations, not just superficial, but as I mentioned above with the whole origin thing as well, would they still be called "Humans"? I mean, humans are supposed to be known for their diversity, right?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 1:56 pm

observer88 wrote:
But then with these variations, not just superficial, but as I mentioned above with the whole origin thing as well, would they still be called "Humans"? I mean, humans are supposed to be known for their diversity, right?
These would not be "humans", unless they could all (somehow) interbreed with one another. Even then it's not entirely proof: Elves look pretty similar externally to humans for instance, and can (usually) breed with them. But Elves =/= Humans (Hm, or actually, that may be a good idea for a Fantasy 'verse: Elves being humans who just adapted to a specific environment).

Point still stands that they'd likely not be the same "Human" species as us. We could call them Humans, but they wouldn't be Homo Sapiens (or at least not all of them).

And WWII would have gone the same way, up until something happened such as Predators finding a portal or Miratans launching an invasion for resources. In which case we'd have been fucked as even assuming 1:1 armoured kill ratios, the tech disparity between factions would still be too high.
Back to top Go down
observer88
observer88

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:36 am

Malahite wrote:
These would not be "humans", unless they could all (somehow) interbreed with one another.
Good call.

Quote :
Point still stands that they'd likely not be the same "Human" species as us. We could call them Humans, but they wouldn't be Homo Sapiens (or at least not all of them).
That was my point.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 am

observer88 wrote:
Malahite wrote:
These would not be "humans", unless they could all (somehow) interbreed with one another.
Good call.
It would be complicated to work out (Eg: A can breed with C but not B, But C can breed with E as well as A. B can breed with E and D etc).

[quote="observer88"]
Malahite wrote:

Quote :
That was my point.
Sapient humanoids if you like. (Oops, that covers everything from elves to catgirls).
The root of this idea is founded in Ursula K. Le Guin's Hanish Cycle. For those of you who don't know, it's science fiction (the broad spectrum of things which that genre covers). Spoiler contains info.
Spoiler:
Malahite is right, this is Sci-Fi development, but I object to calling the alternative "normal."
Back to top Go down
gtslover100
Helpless prey
gtslover100

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 5:44 pm

soory i am new at this
can i be in felarya
i could have a hideout,
underground like burt gummer from Tremors
and have lots of guns and weapons
My name could be
Mel oznap
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Why not? Just avoid having an author character...

I'm no expert and have no authority, however...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 pm

gtslover100 wrote:
soory i am new at this
can i be in felarya
i could have a hideout,
underground like burt gummer from Tremors
and have lots of guns and weapons
My name could be
Mel oznap

gtslover100, why don't you introduce yourself in the introductions thread, here first: https://felarya.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f1/introduce-yourself-t1208-390.htm

If you want to work on a character, there is a character section at the bottom of the forum's page. Please remember to type legibly, and enjoy your stay in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Militant-Prey
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Militant-Prey

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

This is more sci-fi, but I imagine some variation and mutation would be driven by purposive enhancement by either genetic manipulation or cybernetic augmentation.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Militant-Prey wrote:
This is more sci-fi, but I imagine some variation and mutation would be driven by purposive enhancement by either genetic manipulation or cybernetic augmentation.

That's not mutation. that's self evolution.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:26 pm

Ravaging Vixens is correct here. Mutation is change to the genetic structure through natural causes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation   Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Human Deviation, Mutation and Variation
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next