Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing

Go down 
+8
PrinnyDood
gwadahunter2222
Karbo
rcs619
Malahite
Jætte_Troll
/Fish/
Silent_eric
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Empty
PostSubject: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:34 pm

Here we go with an idea for a new type of common elemental. The following types of elementals are frightfully devoid of any types.
fire - lava
earth - sand - rock
air
water - fog - ice
lightning
darkness

Let's fix that shall we?

Here's a basic, common air elemental.

Brizz

A rather nasty creature made out of a malevolent spirit that possesses Air , the Brizz represents the spirits of tornadoes and dust devils. Brizz are creatures that dwell in mountaintops, deserts, and plains, and they are rare in the actual jungles. During winter, they become more active and predatory and may float into the outskirts of it's usual territory to rend anything that comes near with claws of wind.

These creatures are intangible, and vary widely in size. The main commonality between all brizz is a low intelligence, and a hostile nature. They are hard to destroy through any means but magic. But even still, the magic has the likely chance of backfiring. Throwing earth into a Brizz just gives it debris to throw back at the caster, and a brizz set ablaze will incinerate whatever it envelopes.

Technically, one can kill a brizz by simply inhaling it, which also has the benefit of giving the "huffer" as they are sometimes called, the temporary ability of flight. However the risk of getting nasty cuts from the Brizz's claws usually outweighs the benefits.

Now I'm no expert on elementals so feel free to double check it for anything wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:46 pm

Like I mentioned in chat, by nature it would seem that these little devils are more akin to a type of ghost that possesses air and uses it to cause trouble than a full-fledged air elemental... Hmm... However, I can't think of much of what an air elemental might be if it had a constructed body with intricate parts.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Well, I think a good deal of danger and body shape would be defined by the amount of debris being tossed around inside. I guess any intricate parts could only be picked out by a human viewer by seeing the dust.

That's actually an interesting thought... and elemental with organs and stuff made out of air, that magically all stay in correct shape and position... unless the winds are moving in the air elemental it's pretty much just a ghost...
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Darkness (Unknown name)

Work from Shadows, and gain more power the closer an area is to a balance of light and dark. Where as exposing one to too much light is similar to strangling a person, exposing a Darkness Elemental to too much shadow / darkness is to drown it and cause it to loose it's grip on its form.

A Darkness Elemental is almost two-dimensional, and usually clings to surfaces like a shadow. Its form is malleable, and can stretch from almost 1/20th its true "area" (ex: a Darkness Elemental with a surface area of 20 square feet could shrink to nearly 1ft in square feet) to five times as much (the same elemental being capable of covering 100 square feet). To "attack" a creature it will attack its shadow, unnaturally eating away its length and mimicking what is lost. Once a creature's shadow is completely devoured, the Elemental may envelop the creature if it so desires - this is similar to being eaten by an extremely thin but intangible goo.

Darkness Elementals can mimic human-form, but due to their nature they never have a shadow - they are the shadow. Furthermore, their color does not change no matter how bright a light shined on them - they can only ever be illuminated so much. Lastly, they are impossibly light - though this does not make them any easier to remove from the ground, it does tip a careful observer off.

You cannot attack a Darkness Elemental successfully with conventional means. A Fireball will invariably cast shadows the creature can jump from, if being weakened by the suddenly point of light. The same holds true for lightning bolts. Your only means to combat a Darkness Elemental is to either banish the force animating the shadow-like creature, to contain it in some manner (having no noticeable mass, they cannot force their ways out of sealed containers with the exception of intelligent Spellcaster-Elementals), or to use their weakness to too much light and darkness.

This is just a rough idea, anyone who wants to add on or modify feel free to do so.

EDIT: Clarified one small error.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 pm

Well...we already have a darkness elemental, Déméchrelle, and the guardians had to band together to seal her away for good.

Although, evidance points to the idea that she is not a "natural" darkness elemental, but was made that way somehow. Either way, it makes me wonder if she was the only Darkness elemental in recorded history, or some kind of anomaly that isnt representative of Darkness elementals as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 3:07 am

Some great ideas here ^_^
I'll be following this thread closely Smile

rcs619 : She is definitely not the only Darkness elemental. There is plenty of them. But obviously something went terribly wrong with her..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 6:28 am

Silent_eric wrote:

Brizz

A rather nasty creature made out of a malevolent spirit that possesses Air , the Brizz represents the spirits of tornadoes and dust devils. Brizz are creatures that dwell in mountaintops, deserts, and plains, and they are rare in the actual jungles. During winter, they become more active and predatory and may float into the outskirts of it's usual territory to rend anything that comes near with claws of wind.

These creatures are intangible, and vary widely in size. The main commonality between all brizz is a low intelligence, and a hostile nature. They are hard to destroy through any means but magic. But even still, the magic has the likely chance of backfiring. Throwing earth into a Brizz just gives it debris to throw back at the caster, and a brizz set ablaze will incinerate whatever it envelopes.

Technically, one can kill a brizz by simply inhaling it, which also has the benefit of giving the "huffer" as they are sometimes called, the temporary ability of flight. However the risk of getting nasty cuts from the Brizz's claws usually outweighs the benefits.

I agree with /fish/ they are ghost with air abilities than elemental. First all, the elemental are tangible they create a body with an element and air is tangible or the concept of air resistance wouldn't exist. the fact they throw back light and fast projectiles magic or not make sense because they redirect the move in the air but the heavier or the slower the projectie is the more difficult they will have to alter its move.

It's a good idea to defeat them by inhal them or a strong aspiration but it won't kill them but only damage their body. An explosion can be effective because it can blow away easily the air of their body.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 am

Well they definately aren't ghosts, what with missing the simple fact of having never been 'alive.' But I can see how the Brizz have some ghostlike properties. I would think air elementals have a long history of being mistaken for ghosts. Of course, when people have tried to preform an exorcism on an air elemental, it hasn't ended well!

Anyway, let's see if we can't address these issues to make the Brizz more definably elemental.

Like the Bramblewolves, or the Kudzu Python, the Brizz aren't a humanoid elemental. In fact, the Brizz is not even an animal. It most resembles an amoeba, with simple organs made of air.

Problem solved?

And now for debunking:

Ghosts can't possess air Fish. That's what the spirits that become elementals do.

Gwada, it never says that elementals have to be tangible. In the same way that you can move your hand through air, is the same way you can move it through an air elemental. However, I don't recommended that with a Brizz, as it's likely to eat your hand off!

However, I do agree that it can't lift heavy things extremely well, unless it was gigantic and powerful of course, and explosions would be effective against them. And unless you are quite a bit bigger than the Brizz, you won't be able to inhale the entire thing.

And I do like that idea Jætte. The only way to see a Brizz is by seeing it's shape through debris it's carrying in it's body. Of course, it's hard to tell weather a Brizz is heading straight for you, or if it's just an average sandstorm, or snow cloud. Most Felaryans get out of the way in either case.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:49 am

But I can't just do nothing but debate, so here's another elemental idea! A bit silly, but still.

Abomids

Strange creatures created by the random blasts of ice magic that emanates from Mount Berry, the tallest mountain in the Fairy Kingdom (The mountain was named by fairies first, and the name stuck). They are 1-foot tall yeti-like creatures that are made out of crystallized fruit juice. They're a delicious treat that's fun to eat if you enjoy the intense screams of horror emanating from a living foodstuff as you consume it. For some reason, most of the creatures in Felarya don't seem to mind. In fact, the mountain has a larger than average number of Snow Dryads, due to the increased prey

What these creatures are is a subject of intense debate. Theories range from a unique species of tiny, to a small golem. The working theory is that the strange magics of Mount Berry have caused elemental spirits to become trapped in the juices of the many fruit that grow on it's slopes, which explains why they aren't seen anywhere else. The elementals burst from their fruit fully formed. Many research teams have attempted to study these small creatures, to see whether they are intelligent beings, and if they have some sort of society structure, but the research has always failed once the team eats their subjects.

Lime is the rarest breed. Cherry is the most common.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:54 am

Haha... running popsicles.

I had an idea just now...

Vapires

Vapors are a subspecies of water elemental, but due to their nature are often confused for air elementals. What they can be simply described as is a water elemental that is superheated, basically making it a steam elemental. Unlike most water elementals, they tend to like areas that are hotter, though still with adequate moisture.

They can range from large to small and can take a variety of shapes, usually a human shaped one for interaction with other species - though due to their turbulent nature it only resembles the outline of a human, really, with feature indistinguishable. Only the larger vapires are able to get a fairly realistic humanoid shape. Any attempt to touch one, however, will get you quickly scalded.

Vapires are not aggressive as a predator, not really needing food to sustain themselves - as long as there is enough moisture in the air they can keep their form. However, they tend to have hot blooded personalities. If you approach one in a friendly manner, it will probably be polite, but curt with you and be on it's way. If it feels like you are annoying, or insulting it, it will likely lash out and you will get a nasty steam burn. They will also chase you quite far if they don't catch you instantly, being very vindictive.

Perhaps this is warranted, due to a strange relationship with some more primitive societies on Felarya. Many of these groups do not have advanced machinery, though some have basic steam engines. Mining for coal on Felarya, however, is an unrealistic venture. What has been found, though, is if a powerful enough mage can bind a Vapire, they can be placed in a steam engine and controlled by that mage to power it, giving unlimited power due to the Vapire not dissipating and being constantly looped through the machine. This can be dangerous if the mage ever loses control, or dies naturally. The Vapire will burst from the machine in an impressive explosion and start wrecking revenge on it's captors. It is rumoured some people have actually befriended Vapires who do such tasks willingly, but that is fairly rare.

Fighting one is difficult due to their speed and intangible nature. One way is if you have a powerful ice mage who can cool the Vapire down - it will condense to a liquid form, in which it is helpless and inert. It will not be able to move again until it returns to a heat where it begins to turn back to steam - though, be warned, it can start to heat itself up naturally if the water is not cold enough. Safest is to turn it to a block of ice, where it is entirely helpless... until it starts to melt. Wind magic can also be used to temporarily protect yourself, but not for long.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 10:38 am

Silent_eric wrote:
Well they definately aren't ghosts, what with missing the simple fact of having never been 'alive.'

"Ghosts

A generic term referring to various types of immaterial and spiritual beings."

So ghosts don't have to have been dead to be a ghost.

Quote :
But I can see how the Brizz have some ghostlike properties. I would think air elementals have a long history of being mistaken for ghosts. Of course, when people have tried to preform an exorcism on an air elemental, it hasn't ended well!

Anyway, let's see if we can't address these issues to make the Brizz more definably elemental.

Like the Bramblewolves, or the Kudzu Python, the Brizz aren't a humanoid elemental. In fact, the Brizz is not even an animal. It most resembles an amoeba, with simple organs made of air.

Problem solved?

Simple elemental, fine.

Quote :
And now for debunking:

Ghosts can't possess air Fish. That's what the spirits that become elementals do.

Gwada, it never says that elementals have to be tangible. In the same way that you can move your hand through air, is the same way you can move it through an air elemental. However, I don't recommended that with a Brizz, as it's likely to eat your hand off!

"Elementals
Elementals can roughly be defined as spirits inhabiting nonliving matter, though they are infinitely more complex than that. For example, a water elemental isn't just moving water with a mind of its own! Once the matter is possessed by an elemental, it becomes the body of the creature and forms complex organs just like in a regular organic creature's body. It take days or weeks for an elemental to properly develop its body when it first inhabits it."

I don't know about that. Since the brizz seem incorporeal, with your hand moving through them as air, I still get a strong ghost image of them.

I can see air elementals having the ability to 'thin' their bodies to the point where something dangerous to them can slip through, but at the same time doing so could make their structure quite weakened. A balance sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am

Hm, why do I feel this is a change from what I last saw:
The Wiki wrote:
Most elementals shape their body like a human, but some use a very animalistic appearance. How intelligent and conscious an elemental is varies enormously from one specimen to another. There are some spirits barely aware of themselves, and some with a mind closer to a gods than a human.
I feel as though when I last read it, it was not "most" but "some".

Last edited by Malahite on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am

So the main problem is whether or not an air elemental has substance.

Personally, I think it would be like sticking your hand out of a moving car. You feel your hand go from calm air to wind with a fairly tangible area where you can tell the difference. Can you see what I'm trying to say here? I think this will have to come down to asking Karbo to be sure. This is an important distinction for elementals.

Are air elementals bodies of air that are 'compacted' into shape by magic. So they would be able to be touched? Solid air in other words?

Or are the more incorproeal. Wind itself in a more loosely defined form. Still with everything elementals have, like a mind, a shape, and a body, but a loose one that someone could walk through. If the elemental doesn't suck them up to their stomach when someone tries.

Or option three, it depends from one type of elemental to the next. The Brizz are incorporeal, but the Yashan, or whatever, are solid air.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Silent_eric wrote:
An elemental create a body with an element to have a physical existance and so be tangible, if it wants to be intagngible there is no reason it makes a body with an element. Air is tangible because you can have a place empty with air where they can enter and air can be imprisonned or trapped or deformed which are not the case for something intangible. When you move you deform the ambient air, due to the fact your skin are less sensitive to the weak deformation you don't feel it necesary but there is a deformation.

Silent_eric wrote:
So the main problem is whether or not an air elemental has substance.

it's the main reason why a elemental create a body with an element.

Silent_eric wrote:
Are air elementals bodies of air that are 'compacted' into shape by magic. So they would be able to be touched? Solid air in other words?
the answer is yes.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Haha... running popsicles.

I had an idea just now...

Vapires

Vapors are a subspecies of water elemental, but due to their nature are often confused for air elementals. What they can be simply described as is a water elemental that is superheated, basically making it a steam elemental. Unlike most water elementals, they tend to like areas that are hotter, though still with adequate moisture.

They can range from large to small and can take a variety of shapes, usually a human shaped one for interaction with other species - though due to their turbulent nature it only resembles the outline of a human, really, with feature indistinguishable. Only the larger vapires are able to get a fairly realistic humanoid shape. Any attempt to touch one, however, will get you quickly scalded.

Vapires are not aggressive as a predator, not really needing food to sustain themselves - as long as there is enough moisture in the air they can keep their form. However, they tend to have hot blooded personalities. If you approach one in a friendly manner, it will probably be polite, but curt with you and be on it's way. If it feels like you are annoying, or insulting it, it will likely lash out and you will get a nasty steam burn. They will also chase you quite far if they don't catch you instantly, being very vindictive.

Perhaps this is warranted, due to a strange relationship with some more primitive societies on Felarya. Many of these groups do not have advanced machinery, though some have basic steam engines. Mining for coal on Felarya, however, is an unrealistic venture. What has been found, though, is if a powerful enough mage can bind a Vapire, they can be placed in a steam engine and controlled by that mage to power it, giving unlimited power due to the Vapire not dissipating and being constantly looped through the machine. This can be dangerous if the mage ever loses control, or dies naturally. The Vapire will burst from the machine in an impressive explosion and start wrecking revenge on it's captors. It is rumoured some people have actually befriended Vapires who do such tasks willingly, but that is fairly rare.

Fighting one is difficult due to their speed and intangible nature. One way is if you have a powerful ice mage who can cool the Vapire down - it will condense to a liquid form, in which it is helpless and inert. It will not be able to move again until it returns to a heat where it begins to turn back to steam - though, be warned, it can start to heat itself up naturally if the water is not cold enough. Safest is to turn it to a block of ice, where it is entirely helpless... until it starts to melt. Wind magic can also be used to temporarily protect yourself, but not for long.

It's a great idea except the fact they are not intangible but made of gas, vapor is water at gaseous form, you don't have necessary a mage to defeat them due to the gaseous property of their body explosive can be very effective.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Well yes, any force would dissipate them. I didn't word it very well, but the cooling spell is best used if you want to capture one of them. Explosions could hold them off until you run out.

I was randomly thinking of hybrid elementals for some reason. Like... if a water elemental somehow combined with a earth elemental... would you get a mud elemental? Would an earth and fire make magma? The Vapires are sort of a fire-water combo I guess. Mud elementals would be cool.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

That's getting from elemental to complicated. Provided that elementals begin as a spirit that chooses to make a body and become an elemental, you don't have hybrids in the sense of combining. And I think that if a spirit attempted to make a body of mud, it would inevitably have to become either earth or water. Hmm.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 3:30 am

An elemental when it creates is body with an element, its body has all the physical properties of its element. The air elementals are the frailest because their body is made with gas.

/Fish/ wrote:
That's getting from elemental to complicated. Provided that elementals begin as a spirit that chooses to make a body and become an elemental, you don't have hybrids in the sense of combining. And I think that if a spirit attempted to make a body of mud, it would inevitably have to become either earth or water. Hmm.
It depend on the environment a mud elemental can appear in a swamp while an earth will appear inside a mountains, and a water-type appears in a river or in the sea

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Well I do agree that the difference between ghosts and air elementals can be very blurry indeed. Plus I imagine there are so many different type of them both.

Howver for Brizzt, how about them having a body but actually really small ? like a sort of nucleus or so. And then what is mistaken for thei actual body would be just the wind sourrounding them ? ^^

Jaette-troll : I think these are a great and very interesting idea ! Their "use" as a power source is a nice touch XD
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Karbo wrote:
Howver for Brizzt, how about them having a body but actually really small ? like a sort of nucleus or so. And then what is mistaken for thei actual body would be just the wind sourrounding them ? ^^

How the body is built s not very important some elementals can give a complex architecture to their bodies, it's possible after all because they made their own body so they can do whatever they want with it but the raw material will be always their respective element.

To conclude the Brizzt can have the shape and the body they want but it won't change the physical properties of their body. The air elementals have the weakest bodies next to the other elemental but they are difficult to catch and they can rebuild it quickly. Their physical resistance depend to the density of the body but the most resistant air elemental will never surpass the most resistant elemental of the other type.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 am

Malahite wrote:
Hm, why do I feel this is a change from what I last saw:
The Wiki wrote:
Most elementals shape their body like a human, but some use a very animalistic appearance. How intelligent and conscious an elemental is varies enormously from one specimen to another. There are some spirits barely aware of themselves, and some with a mind closer to a gods than a human.
I feel as though when I last read it, it was not "most" but "some".

Yes you are right this need ot be changed ^^;

Concerning your idea of darkness elementals, I was more thinking of them has semi-solid living darkness type rather than manipulating shadows. Though this could make another idea Smile
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Alright, I was thinking about some places you might not expect to find certain elementals, but would still be possible. I think one such would be darkness elementals in the Sea Depths.

Where you'd normally expect a water elemental to spawn, but wherever there is a complete lack of light makes for an ideal place for a spirit to use this to become a darkness elemental.

Firstly, Abyssplanes, a plane of abyssal darkness lying in the depths of the abyssal plain.

---

Abyssplanes

A type of darkness elemental that resides in the most lightless, deepest parts of the Sea Depths. Physically it's extremely flat- almost merely a membrane of darkness stretched taut over the ocean bottom, and are stationary. There it lies in wait for prey to approach, then it lurches; nearly anything that touches its surface becomes stuck fast, as if to a sticky mat, while it holds tight to the ocean bottom. The abyssplane then draws in the rest of its prey, until it is enveloped and is only seen as a bulge in the totally dark, flat disc. Since abyssplanes are highly magical in nature like other elementals, they share an elementals' appetite. However, they can sustain themselves to a degree by utilizing the magical properties of Felarya's soil, in the form of the sediment directly beneath them, which their wide surface area makes the best use of. They are known to have an extreme aversion to light, which because of their exceptionally thin nature, is quite distressing and even damaging to them. One of their most common predators, the shinommer, makes excellent use of this weakness. The largest abyssplanes are said to cover immense areas of ocean floor.

---

Aaaaand though this next creature isn't an elemental, it has a relation to the abyssplanes. The shinommers' name is derived from the words 'shine' and 'nom'.

---

Shinommer
Size: 6”
Threat: Moderate

Shinommers are essentially deep-sea pirahnas equipped with high-beam, forward light-producing organs. They swim in schools, completely unlit. When they find possible prey, they surround it, then harshly illuminate it with a flash comparable to looking at a lightning bolt strike before you. The sudden change from extremely dim to extremely litten is usually enough to stun most creatures; then they all converge and quickly dine before something that's seen the huge flash comes to investigate. This adaptation has made them well-equipped to prey on such creatures as abyssplanes.

---

Now, another kind of depths-dwelling darkness elemental, a Wreckdweller:

---

Wreckdweller

Some claim that wreckdwellers are formed from the ghosts of those that have perished during a shipwreck and weren't eaten. Wreckdwellers, as their bestowed name implies, reside in such places as shipwrecks. They are darkness elementals that use such places as their base for hunting, simply because a shipwreck lying on the ocean floor can look like a convenient hiding place and attract someone looking for a safe place to stay. A common tactic is for a wreckdweller to set itself up so that it's situated in the darkest part of the structure, and usually waits for something to venture inside, such as a small chlaena, merfolk or ichthys, which they'll ambush and devour. Wreckdwellers are known to a variety of races as the boogeymen of such places, and as such their cave or trench-dwelling cousins don't have nearly as much speculation and talk surrounding them.

Wreckdwellers differ greatly between one another, but are of a free-moving variety apart from abyssplanes, and as such they have much more defined bodies, though their size is often limited by their chosen home. Simply because they feel more comfortable in the dark, wreckdwellers rather consider themselves hermits than boogeymen, and they have to eat after all. If you were to come across a satiated wreckdweller, you might be able to learn something useful, or trade for something, though the experience of being in an enclosed space with a being of darkness swimming around you can be most disconcerting. They tend to keep whatever they find on their prey, since they really aren't likely to make a trip to the bazaar of Rhyzelm'oire for something.

---
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:36 am

Ohh some really nice ideas here ! I like them a lot ^_^
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Karbo wrote:
Ohh some really nice ideas here ! I like them a lot ^_^

Awesome, thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 3:06 am

Hey, anybody mind if I just jump right in here? This looked interesting, and since I've always thought elementals were cool, I whipped up a little something for a basic water elemental. This was thrown together pretty haphazardly, so I'm sure there's numerous things in need of clarification, and it probably needs to be edited down to a more reasonable size, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway to get some opinions on it, rather than agonizing over it for weeks like I do with most of my writing. lol! Also, the name is pretty generic, so if anyone can think of something better, I'm all ears.

The Naiad

The Naiad is one of the more commonly recognized types of water elemental, but this does not mean that they should be underestimated, as large specimens can be extremely dangerous. As with most elementals, Naiads can vary in size greatly between individuals, with the smallest being nearly human in scale, while the largest on record surpassed 300 feet in length. The average specimen however, is commonly just slightly smaller that the typical Felaryan giant predator, but given the difficulty inherent in measuring them in their natural habitat, this is a very rough approximation.

Naiads typically take the shape of humanoids (such as humans or elves) from the waist up, much akin to a great many Felaryan races, and almost always appear female, though some rare male specimens have been confirmed. They are generally blue-tinged translucent in coloration (being made of water, after all), though their eyes and hair tend to be more opaque, depending on the individual. Their bodies, as with all elementals, are made up of a complex array of magically animated organs, which allow them to perceive and interact with the world, but also renders them (somewhat) susceptible to harm.

Interestingly, below the waist a Naiad's body is somewhat less fixed and more amorphous, allowing her to change the physical makeup of her 'tail' very rapidly. Common shapes are that of a mermaid's tail for swimming, a Chlaena’s tentacles for capturing numerous prey, and even a naga-like tail for movement on land, though these imitations are far less competent than the originals from which they are derived. It is worth noting that no Naiad on record has ever been able to imitate human legs capable of supporting her on land. This is due to the fact the a Naiad's 'improvised' limbs are quite weak in comparison to their size, likely a trade-off for their versatility. Outside of this ability, Naiads typically don't have much in the way of magic, though spells dealing with water do come easily to those few with the patience for sorcery.

Due to the less fixed nature of their lower half's, Naiads are more vulnerable to gradually 'loosing' bits of themselves when away from their element, thus most prefer to keep excursions onto land short, or simply shun them altogether. A Naiad caught on dry land is considerably easier to defeat than a comparably sized flesh and blood predator, if the right methods are employed. Naiads can happily survive in fresh or salt water, though transferring from one to the other renders the Naiad in question very uncomfortable and irritable for several days while she adjusts.

In their natural habitat, Naiads are extremely difficult to fight; conventional weapons such as harpoons and guns are all but useless on them, though magic attacks tend to work well, except (ironically) for fire, which tends to fizzle due to the inherent difficulty in trying to burn water. Cold magic is extremely effective, as even moderate amounts tend to slow not just the Naiad's movement, but her thought processes as well, through some mechanism not fully understood. A completely frozen Naiad is helpless; they are unable to move, the elemental spirit (the Naiad's 'real' self) remaining locked in the immobile body until such time as it thaws. Sufficient amounts of any chemical that reacts violently to water also works as an excellent deterrent.

They have a fairly wide range of personalities and tendencies, ranging from serene, wise mystics to playfully energetic scatterbrains. Though most Naiads are at least somewhat capricious and susceptible to bouts of whimsy. Naiads have no recognizable culture, and usually live alone or in small, intimate groups, sometimes even socializing with other aquatic races.

Naiads are, like many creatures in Felarya, mostly carnivorous, though fortunately they very rarely venture onto land to hunt, instead preferring to prey upon the other aquatic denizens of their home, relying on the enormous advantage their nature gives them there. They also attack ships on occasion, and their natural resistance to most of the more common types of 'predator deterrent' makes them an uncommon, but legitimate concern for just about any voyage.
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing   Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Elementals. And Fire, Earth, and all the others missing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next