Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feral Fairies

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 pm

That's the closest word I could think of.

A while ago, the question was raised over whether fairies have larvae. I believe the end result was a proposition that some species have larval stages, some don't. I figure it's time to flesh out the idea.

Bayou fairies:

Bayou fairies are probably the quickest creature in the sky. Being based on dragonflies, these fairies sport sharp, jagged teeth, hooked talons, and a chitinous dorsal protrusion resembling an armored backpack of sorts, sporting two pairs of dragonfly-like wings. This protrusion serves as muscular reinforcement, allowing the fairy to move its wings with far more speed than its kin.
The eyes of a bayou fairy sport a sort of lens covering that resembles an organic set of goggles.

Bayou fairies, true to their name, prefer to lurk in swamps, preferably close to water, with plenty of tall plants to cling to.
The bayou fairy is an opportunistic predator, and are not averse to taking down large prey, be it humanoid or animal, and tearing into it.
However, this particular species has a special fondness for other fairies.
The bayou fairy typically hunts by assuming its smallest size and hiding on the stems of plants, waiting for other fairies to show up. Its eyes are quite precise, able to pinpoint a target and follow it through a blizzard on a moonless night, if need be. The fairy will then charge with unheard of speed, quickly assuming a larger size with similar speed, snagging the victim.
Typically they will then bite off the fairy's wings and devour them as a bite-sized snack. However, it's not unheard of for the fairy to simply maul their victim and eat them in pieces if their hunger is so great.

More interestingly, bayou fairies begin their lives as inhuman insects, resembling larval dragonflies. These creatures are incapable of changing size, and thus vary widely in size, depending on how large their mother was at the time of conception. Typically the mother will assume her largest size before laying her eggs, allowing the larvae to grow to nearly match them in size as it develops.
These larvae are arguably more vicious than the adults, preying on just about anything they can get their extendable pincers around. When the time comes, however, they'll climb onto a large plant and undergo a rapid metamorphosis, where their wings develop. The shell will then split open and a fully grown, humanoid bayou fairy will emerge.

As a final note, bayou fairies tend to have Cajun accents. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 1:55 pm

nice to see you're unbanned and posting ideas GREGOLE.

nice, I love it. especially the part where you emphasize a closer relationship to insects than most fairies.

could this lead them to have a magical type that makes it so they aren't as vulnerable to other insects as most fairies?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Binge Fairies

Similar to the bayou fairies, yet in many ways the exact opposite, binge fairies take their name from their two conflicting metamorphic stages.

At its birth, the binge fairy is more reminiscent of a dridder or similar arthropod-taur, sporting a bulky, armor-plated lower body, six spindly walking legs, and a relatively humanoid upper torso, save the fact that their arms terminate in sharp pincers. Their mouths in particular are odd, as their lower jaws house a bizarre and sinister weapon. When closed, they resemble ordinary human jaws. However, then fully parted, their lower jaws split, each one unfolding like a pocket knife, revealing a pair of enormous, serrated mandibles.

These strange creatures tend to be ornery and insatiably hungry, lurking in sand traps, usually out in desert regions. They typically clear a burrow just beneath the ground, leaving just enough loose soil for any large, appetizing creature to fall in as soon as they step on what appears to be normal ground.

Once prey falls into its lair, the binge fairy larva catches it in her open jaws and swallows it whole. The fairy is capable and more than willing to devour anything from an unfortunate human, to a centaur that might be twice its own size!
Contrary to their appearance, the binge fairy larva's jaws act primarily to keep prey from escaping, as well as to more easily stretch over a victim's body, taking it into her elastic stomach, located in the insect portion of the body.

When a binge fairy has eaten enough, their body will shift, and a supernatural metamorphosis will take place, where their bodies will rapidly alter into a more traditional fairy form.

Adult binge fairies are among the most graceful, beautiful and approachable beings in Felarya. This is largely because their digestive tracts have atrophied, and the fairy is literally incapable of eating, rather subsisting by absorbing ambient magic with their wings.

To accompany this, the fairy's mind is now passive and rather mellow. No longer occupied with food, some specimens become downright apologetic to other species.
The personality of the individual varies, of course, but adult binge fairies are completely incapable of eating, and are thus usually harmless.

Quote :
could this lead them to have a magical type that makes it so they aren't as vulnerable to other insects as most fairies?

Well no, it just means they don't rely on magic as much as other fairies. I think that makes them seem more feral and primitive, and just goes so well with their Cajun-ness. XP
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:11 pm

lol. due to all the constant insect attacks on fairy territory, would a species of fairy evolve to deal with the threat? maybe using life-force varied magic to attack the insects, instead of normal magic?

or what about a species of fairy that can combat the insects? i would think at some point nature would kick in to help the fairies survive more from the insects.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Quote :
lol. due to all the constant insect attacks on fairy territory, would a species of fairy evolve to deal with the threat? maybe using life-force varied magic to attack the insects, instead of normal magic?

or what about a species of fairy that can combat the insects? i would think at some point nature would kick in to help the fairies survive more from the insects.

Insects don't have some blood feud with fairies. They attack fairies because fairies rely on magic, which they're resistant to, and thus make easy prey.

A species that doesn't attack with magic is much less easy prey, and is thus less appetizing.

I think the whole fairy/insect feud has been enormously flanderized.
Really, half the point of these things is to establish that the fairies and insects aren't two warring factions, generally with the former being the designated "good guys". They're just two competing predators.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm

well, yeah, but fairies that are constantly being attacked my insects would learn to develop a way to combat them wouldn't they?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Quote :
well, yeah, but fairies that are constantly being attacked my insects would learn to develop a way to combat them wouldn't they?

In theory yes, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is simply about fairies with more insect-like traits.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:43 pm

right. ^^;

still I was just wondering whether those fairies would be closer to insects than normal, or how they'd fight off insects if attacked.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Quote :
still I was just wondering whether those fairies would be closer to insects than normal, or how they'd fight off insects if attacked.

If for some strange reason, an insect attacked a bayou fairy, instead of the abundant normal fairies that share its habitat, the fairy would either rely on its natural weapons, or more likely just fly away.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:46 pm

yeah, that speed would help lol.

still, interesting forms of fairies. Very Happy how much time did you spend thinking about this?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 3:51 am

Well I personnaly have nothing agaisnt having some species of fairies going through larva stages,
however having them being inhuman-loonking at this stage bother me a bit I admit...
As well as having them tearing apart humanoid preys.. I know you like creating and designing such monsters and to have some bloody action but it's not really what I'd like to see for Felarya ^^;

The design of the bayou fairy is really interesting and well thought of though. it makes sense, it's well described, and I especially like the chitinous-backpack ideas and those natural glasses adapted for hig speed. And the Cajun accent was a great touch too XD
If you are willing to wear down some aspects I'm sure we can arrive to something..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 am

Quote :
Well I personnaly have nothing agaisnt having some species of fairies going through larva stages,
however having them being inhuman-loonking at this stage bother me a bit I admit...
As well as having them tearing apart humanoid preys.. I know you like creating and designing such monsters and to have some bloody action but it's not really what I'd like to see for Felarya ^^;

The design of the bayou fairy is really interesting and well thought of though. it makes sense, it's well described, and I especially like the chitinous-backpack ideas and those natural glasses adapted for hig speed. And the Cajun accent was a great touch too XD
If you are willing to wear down some aspects I'm sure we can arrive to something..

Well, what I was thinking wasn't necessarily having them swarm and eat larger things like Lephia-style fairies. I was thinking closer to the way humans hunt, albeit minus the cooking aspect.

The main reason I added that was to stress the dragonfly connection, since dragonflies are some of the best hunters in the insect world. It seems a little off to have them stick to bite-sized prey.
Hmm..... Then again, I have another idea now. Since the idea of them eating fairies is based on dragonflies with mosquitoes, what if I instead gave them the ability to alter the size of prey in their stomachs, allowing one snack to last them a while?

As for the larva thing, that was because dragonfly larvae have xenomorph-style jaws, and I question how well that would translate onto a tauric being. Personally, I find the idea of a totally inhuman larva becoming a beautiful humanoid to be fascinating. But what would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 3:20 pm

that sounds like a sub-category of canopy fairies then.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Quote :
that sounds like a sub-category of canopy fairies then.

No it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:31 pm

sorry. misread "shrink" for "warp" it seems.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 2:11 am

GREGOLE wrote:

Well, what I was thinking wasn't necessarily having them swarm and eat larger things like Lephia-style fairies. I was thinking closer to the way humans hunt, albeit minus the cooking aspect.

The main reason I added that was to stress the dragonfly connection, since dragonflies are some of the best hunters in the insect world. It seems a little off to have them stick to bite-sized prey.
Hmm..... Then again, I have another idea now. Since the idea of them eating fairies is based on dragonflies with mosquitoes, what if I instead gave them the ability to alter the size of prey in their stomachs, allowing one snack to last them a while?

As for the larva thing, that was because dragonfly larvae have xenomorph-style jaws, and I question how well that would translate onto a tauric being. Personally, I find the idea of a totally inhuman larva becoming a beautiful humanoid to be fascinating. But what would you suggest?

I think this idea to enlarge eaten prey can work well ^^ There are some fairies who use this trick already but it hasn't been offiiciallized yet.

As for the larva, well I imagine a tauric being could work ( maybe with the human part beginning higher than most others tauric if you wish ). But I'd rather have the head at the very least look human..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Quote :
But I'd rather have the head at the very least look human..
I agree.
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 6:04 am

Wow. This sub species is so fascinating. I kinda like it. In fact I like it a lot. Pretty nice job at playing God GREGOLE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feral Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Fairies   Feral Fairies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feral Fairies
Page 1 of 1