Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I finally get it!

Go down 
+11
/Fish/
Karbo
ZionAtriedes
FalconJudge
Claire
Zoekin
Shady Knight
Feadraug
SuperPieGuy9
Yuki_Akuma
VenomX3000
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 1:39 am

After long and careful contemplation, thorough investigation, I have been trying to understand what Felarya really is. I get it now, this is not a world where everyone can bring in a character they like and adjust them such. This world is Karbo's and to try and alter any vision is a god damn insult to his creativity. I do apologize for what I did with my stories, in which I thought it would be a good, fun idea but now I realize that I have completely fucked with your vision. Again, I apologize.

I will be removing my stories and bios from the DA page and starting over, to see if I can get it right this time. I may bring in a few of the characters but I will not be doing what I did last time.

As I say to all. Peace.
Back to top Go down
http://venomx3000.deviantart.com/
Yuki_Akuma
Helpless prey

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 6:33 am

How does writing fanfiction mess up the world? It's not like they're going to be canon or anything. >.>
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 am

Yuki_Akuma wrote:
How does writing fanfiction mess up the world? It's not like they're going to be canon or anything. >.>

Agreed. Most Felarya writers write fanfiction. It's not like it's going to make canon and screw everything up. It's like Zelda fanfiction: you can base it on certain games and you can give it a [fan]fictional place on the timeline, but they are not going to screw up the game they're based on, nor the timeline.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:30 am

Even though it's true that fanfics - at least, the sensible ones - don't mean they're messing up with the original Universe, it's preferred that fanfiction tries to keep some of the 'common sense', guidelines and base from the original Universe so it can be recognizable. You all know how much we despise Mary Sues and Gary Stus, right? That's one of the many burdens in every community and fictional Universe, as things like that might, even though not actually messing up the original material, make it look distorted for newcomers and such, even if it's clear that's not canon.

Maybe what Venom was referring to (at least that's what I get from his message) is that he wants to make his fanfics trying to stay as true to the Felaryan spirit and Karbo's guidelines as possible.

To sum up: of course, I'm sure none of us writes their stuff thinking it'll be canon, but some respect towards the original material is expected.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 am

Feadraug wrote:
Even though it's true that fanfics - at least, the sensible ones - don't mean they're messing up with the original Universe, it's preferred that fanfiction tries to keep some of the 'common sense', guidelines and base from the original Universe so it can be recognizable. You all know how much we despise Mary Sues and Gary Stus, right? That's one of the many burdens in every community and fictional Universe, as things like that might, even though not actually messing up the original material, make it look distorted for newcomers and such, even if it's clear that's not canon.

Maybe what Venom was referring to (at least that's what I get from his message) is that he wants to make his fanfics trying to stay as true to the Felaryan spirit and Karbo's guidelines as possible.

To sum up: of course, I'm sure none of us writes their stuff thinking it'll be canon, but some respect towards the original material is expected.
Personally, I prefer to keep the constant danger of Felarya as the guideline. Having to write a human being swallowed alive every five minutes is dull to me. If I pan the camera to the predators, they will hunt animals.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:51 am

It isn't like every time you turn around, a predator eats a human being... oh wait... Nah, I'm sure people can keep the Felaryan spirit without recurring to the whole voraephilia, right? Razz
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:06 am

Feadraug wrote:
It isn't like every time you turn around, a predator eats a human being... oh wait... Nah, I'm sure people can keep the Felaryan spirit without recurring to the whole voraephilia, right? Razz
This is what I'm aiming for.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:56 am

which of yall ever read my story? its far too much to be considered a Felarya story. I understand what ya mean though, I was tryin to do somethin different then what I keep seein an readin, but the fact remains, I stepped WAY out of bounds on this.
Back to top Go down
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Hey-I created my own rip-off universe and got Anna pregnant and you know what? Karbo laughed himself silly.

It's ok really
Back to top Go down
http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Claire

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:15 pm

VenomX3000 wrote:
After long and careful contemplation, thorough investigation, I have been trying to understand what Felarya really is. I get it now, this is not a world where everyone can bring in a character they like and adjust them such. This world is Karbo's and to try and alter any vision is a god damn insult to his creativity. I do apologize for what I did with my stories, in which I thought it would be a good, fun idea but now I realize that I have completely fucked with your vision. Again, I apologize.

I will be removing my stories and bios from the DA page and starting over, to see if I can get it right this time. I may bring in a few of the characters but I will not be doing what I did last time.

As I say to all. Peace.

who cares whats cannon and not cannon, as long as ur haveing fun, thats all what matters.
Back to top Go down
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Claire wrote:
VenomX3000 wrote:

As I say to all. Peace.

who cares whats cannon and not cannon, as long as ur haveing fun, thats all what matters.

thanks, that means alot. but i really stepped out of bounds. and karbo himself disapproved
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Woah, what did you do in your story? Now I kinda want to read it...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Oh boy, I decide to stop by after my five hundredth hiatus away from this place, and it turns out more drama's brewin'. Well, this seems to be contained, so I'll shut my yap in that regard.

To be honest, it depends on if you're shooting for canon or not. If you are, you have to tread lightly, and you have to make sure Karbs likes it. If not, well, as long as you're not insulting anyone.I dunno why Karbo would disapprove, he's normally pretty easygoing from what I've seen. You must've fucked up bad, dude. I mean, that's the guy who said he LIKED my stuff. I mean, my stuff... the stuff I wrote. If he's saying good things about that, I mean, come on.

Nah, I'm only joshin'. Now I've forgotten what my original point was gonna be. I suppose we can chalk up this post as one more in the "ZION WHY DID YOU HIT THE 'SEND' BUTTON" pile.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:46 am

I want to make something clear here ^^;

I was just giving my opinion on DA.. it wasn't asking for you to stop or something...
the problem I was pointing is that your character was quite sue-ish and it was hard to find him attaching and so to identify to him..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 2:19 am

well for the record, i had no intention of becomin canon. purely entertainment.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 2:43 am

VenomX3000 wrote:
well for the record, i had no intention of becomin canon. purely entertainment.

"No intent to become canon"

=

I'll choose to brush aside precedents and critique because it means I can ignore established facts I don't feel like following. After all, my material isn't going to be included anyway! Why bother!

That's definately what that comes across as, for those who invoke such reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 7:46 am

I'll quote myself...

Feadraug wrote:
I'm sure none of us writes their stuff thinking it'll be canon, but some respect towards the original material is expected.

Which means that fine, you can think what you're writing won't be canon the second Karbo reads it - it can be, I admit, it's a possibility -, but even if it isn't canon, is it hard to respect the source material?

Saying "I don't intend this to be canon" doesn't necessarily mean "I don't need to follow some little guidelines for my story to have the feeling it's set in Felarya, I can do whatever I want". Most badfics follow that rule of giving a damn about what's stablished in the original material. And that's no good.

I repeat myself, I know, but you can get your story have the good Felaryan feeling even if it isn't "official". Just respect the source.
Back to top Go down
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:25 am

concernin characters, other than mine, i respected everyone. it was only the characters i came up with that i killed off.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:34 am

So in the end it was a matter of "my characters don't fit Felarya", right? Your characters should also respect the atmosphere and setting, they should look integrated in this world... and of course, not being any Mary Sue/Gary Stu.
Back to top Go down
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Feadraug wrote:
So in the end it was a matter of "my characters don't fit Felarya", right? Your characters should also respect the atmosphere and setting, they should look integrated in this world... and of course, not being any Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

precisely
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm

I thought you said in the chat that it was because you had incorporated too much fighting? :O
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Well, sometimes side characters that are a little general may be a good thing, because they allow for voring to take place (which, last time I checked, was a major part of Felarya). In fact, I was considering the idea that one could do a sort of satire, or statement work. Create vibrant, rich, and unique characters... and then consistently kill them off, nonchalantly. It would be a good way to bring attention to the more serious aspects of vore: namely, someone unique, a person, is dying in the process. It might not be appreciated, but you can't say it doesn't respect the material. It's a look at Felarya from a new standpoint. And if the audience starts to phase out and refuse to grow attached to relateable characters, that should say something, as well. about the callousness of the world. Like I said, statement work.

It's an idea. Just tossing that out there.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:45 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
In fact, I was considering the idea that one could do a sort of satire, or statement work. Create vibrant, rich, and unique characters... and then consistently kill them off, nonchalantly. It would be a good way to bring attention to the more serious aspects of vore: namely, someone unique, a person, is dying in the process. It might not be appreciated, but you can't say it doesn't respect the material. It's a look at Felarya from a new standpoint. And if the audience starts to phase out and refuse to grow attached to relateable characters, that should say something, as well. about the callousness of the world. Like I said, statement work.

I've done that a few times. Not as satire, but because I don't want the vore to always be treated casually by the readers. At least one person once criticised me for killing off likeable characters, but that's the whole point. Whenever someone is eaten, that's a unique, complex individual gone, forever, just like that. A whole life snuffed out. The predator, usually, neither knows nor cares about her meal's past, experiences, values and personality, but that doesn't mean the reader can't.

Not that there's anything wrong with casual vore, either. It depends on the story, and on what you're trying to convey. Sometimes you want to encourage sympathy for the prey. Sometimes the focus is on the pred, and her meal is just a brief scene in passing.

One of the many interesting things about Felarya is that it enables various approaches to any vore scene.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 2:01 am

French snack wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
In fact, I was considering the idea that one could do a sort of satire, or statement work. Create vibrant, rich, and unique characters... and then consistently kill them off, nonchalantly. It would be a good way to bring attention to the more serious aspects of vore: namely, someone unique, a person, is dying in the process. It might not be appreciated, but you can't say it doesn't respect the material. It's a look at Felarya from a new standpoint. And if the audience starts to phase out and refuse to grow attached to relateable characters, that should say something, as well. about the callousness of the world. Like I said, statement work.

I've done that a few times. Not as satire, but because I don't want the vore to always be treated casually by the readers. At least one person once criticised me for killing off likeable characters, but that's the whole point. Whenever someone is eaten, that's a unique, complex individual gone, forever, just like that. A whole life snuffed out. The predator, usually, neither knows nor cares about her meal's past, experiences, values and personality, but that doesn't mean the reader can't.

Not that there's anything wrong with casual vore, either. It depends on the story, and on what you're trying to convey. Sometimes you want to encourage sympathy for the prey. Sometimes the focus is on the pred, and her meal is just a brief scene in passing.

One of the many interesting things about Felarya is that it enables various approaches to any vore scene.

Not to get into a criticism of your work, as you are an excellent writer, but "a few times" is understating your apparent love for murdering likeable characters in droves, even after a very short period of existance. Wink

In my personal writing, I find this can only work a few times before it starts to age. Worse, I've seen other stories where such large amounts of likable character killing means that the overall impact is reduced. When a likable character we know dies I think it should be something significant. Else, the readers stop turning to any of the characters that are introduced. I feel the story starts to fracture and lose focus as well, fluctuating between protagonists, something that, once again, I feel only works in small doses.

But, then again, everyone has their own preferences and writing styles as well as narrative ideas. Plus, these change over time.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
French snack
French snack

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 2:33 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:

Not to get into a criticism of your work, as you are an excellent writer, but "a few times" is understating your apparent love for murdering likeable characters in droves, even after a very short period of existance. Wink

In my personal writing, I find this can only work a few times before it starts to age. Worse, I've seen other stories where such large amounts of likable character killing means that the overall impact is reduced. When a likable character we know dies I think it should be something significant. Else, the readers stop turning to any of the characters that are introduced. I feel the story starts to fracture and lose focus as well, fluctuating between protagonists, something that, once again, I feel only works in small doses.

But, then again, everyone has their own preferences and writing styles as well as narrative ideas. Plus, these change over time.

Hehe... Point taken. Smile And that's an excellent remark. I wouldn't want to discourage readers from caring about characters due to expectations that characters aren't going to survive.

The problem I find is that, if prey characters are never (or very rarely) presented as significant, as unique individuals... Well, the story loses something there, too. Or maybe that's just my way of seeing it. As I said, I don't mind scenes where a pred comes in and gobbles up several hapless, anonymous prey, without the reader being encouraged to feel much for them; scenes like that have their own value and purpose. I use them frequently too. But I do think, personally, that not all vore scenes should be that way.

Maybe it's just a question of frequency, and impact.

The opposite problem is that, if you make the prey too likeable, some readers may start to dislike the pred. There seems to be a natural tendency (among some readers at least) to want to like one character or the other, but not both.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I finally get it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I finally get it!   I finally get it! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I finally get it!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next