Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nekomura's Market?

Go down 
+7
rcs619
Anime-Junkie
Grave
Karbo
Archmage_Bael
Malahite
Shady Knight
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 pm

I read in the wiki and I quote.

Quote :
Most normal transactions on Felarya are made in skevols, with larger ones in Faldong gems or various local gemstones, and the greatest exchanges (such as buying a space battle cruiser or an imperial palace) being negotiated in pure ascarlin. This goes for most humanoid races, although some neko tribes possess their own currency as well.

I don't know if Nekomura counts as a tribe, but given it's probably the best known Neko settlement for now, would it have a market place and its own currency? You know, just to spite the Magiocrats who "exiled" them after the Great Destruction.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm

I cannot really imagine too many differences in Nekomuran Market (though of course it'd have one: Practically every city has at least some form of market place).

Overall, I'd expect most things to be the same with perhaps a limit on technology due to how most technologically advanced beings are humans and / or have some connection to Negav. Weapons would be of comparable quality (those you could find), spices would probably reflect local tastes, maybe shops selling Neeras and Tinies (and other miniature things) as delicacies, few other things, but it seemingly wouldn't be too far off. If I had to guess, high-tech stuff would probably be worth more in Nekomura if you found someone who recognized its function (if only because of limited availability compared to Negav).

Its own currency... I'm not quite sure how that works. Currency has always been a major debated thing when it comes to settlements. What provides the backing to the currency? Is it material value, in which case the differences between currencies is merely cosmetic (My silver pieces have neko faces, yours have human)? Is it backed by some authority, in which case it depends on exchange rates as well as power and other factors?

Personally, since canon seems to be loose in this regard, I'd say you could do what you wish. However, some sort of standard should be worked out eventually for people to use in tales. It doesn't matter on the large-scale, but on the minor scale it makes a world somewhat hard to believe when the currency keeps changing shapes and value between authors.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 4:14 pm

I talked to Karbo and Nekomura is more on the magical scale, so maybe closer to a medieval setting.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 9:17 pm

malahite wrote:
spices would probably reflect local tastes, maybe shops selling Neeras and Tinies (and other miniature things) as delicacies, few other things, but it seemingly wouldn't be too far off

Actually, I can imagine that being a rather large trade. Negav authority doesn't extend beyond it's walls, and the humans and various inhabitants of negav could go to nekomura for tinies' slave trade or something horrible like that.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Actually, I can imagine that being a rather large trade. Negav authority doesn't extend beyond it's walls, and the humans and various inhabitants of negav could go to nekomura for tinies' slave trade or something horrible like that.
It'd definitely be large, probably the second largest market in the overall area (I only give second as the more advanced you get / more "up" you can build the more stuff you can sell).

And while you may not have meant it, this comes off a lot like portraying the Nekos as dickish. While I don't mind see this being done with non-Humans for a change, it does seem a bit off to assume the Tinies Slave Trade exists only in Nekomura. Perhaps possibly more open there, with in Nekomura's case enslavement being a mercy compared to the usual inhabitants reason for purchase (OM NOM), and most of the Tiny Slaves sold in Negav being more back alley deals?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 am

Malahite wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
It'd definitely be large, probably the second largest market in the overall area (I only give second as the more advanced you get / more "up" you can build the more stuff you can sell).

And while you may not have meant it, this comes off a lot like portraying the Nekos as dickish. While I don't mind see this being done with non-Humans for a change, it does seem a bit off to assume the Tinies Slave Trade exists only in Nekomura. Perhaps possibly more open there, with in Nekomura's case enslavement being a mercy compared to the usual inhabitants reason for purchase (OM NOM), and most of the Tiny Slaves sold in Negav being more back alley deals?

I didn't care how it portrayed the nekos really, I was arguing for the idea as being logical to what you would find. Yes the tinies' slave trade would be more open in nekomura. why? because they love their tinies. Your statement about them being seen as dickish is something humans would do.

The humans in felarya tend to ignore the overall dangers of the world they're trapped in (or at least seem pretty arrogant and ignorant), and would possibly just see this trade as being cruel instead of more merciful. The other species could actually look at the nekos as kind because of this, while the humans would see them in a totally different light. It would add a nice contrast in felarya cultures.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I didn't care how it portrayed the nekos really, I was arguing for the idea as being logical to what you would find. Yes the tinies' slave trade would be more open in nekomura. why? because they love their tinies. Your statement about them being seen as dickish is something humans would do.

The humans in felarya tend to ignore the overall dangers of the world they're trapped in (or at least seem pretty arrogant and ignorant), and would possibly just see this trade as being cruel instead of more merciful. The other species could actually look at the nekos as kind because of this, while the humans would see them in a totally different light. It would add a nice contrast in felarya cultures.
Oh, kind of a logic fail there. Just because they are Nekos and they love tinies means that only Humans would see this as horrible while the other species would see Nekos treating Tinies as object as very kind and dandy. You failed to take into accounts the values of different cultures and individuals. There would be Nekos who would see this as cruel and Humans who wouldn't mind it, and other species would go both ways depending on personal and cultural values. Plus, I see this as sick, even for nekos. I would see them more as hunter as they see a Tiny, they catch then they gulp it. The whole idea that a cat person would make a slave out of a mouse boy or girl just irks me in the wrong way.

Also, while I'm at it, most of the humans ignoring the dangers is because of either the individual being cocky or they are newcomers, and has such, have no idea where they are and what to expect. Again, a generalization and a failure at understanding that not all humans or a race are like that.

So I'll have to agree with Malahite... for the most part.

Caroline: *brandishes a sign reading: "Tinies are FOOD, not slaves!"*
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 am

Quote :
Oh, kind of a logic fail there. Just because they are Nekos and they love tinies means that only Humans would see this as horrible while the other species would see Nekos treating Tinies as object as very kind and dandy. You failed to take into accounts the values of different cultures and individuals. There would be Nekos who would see this as cruel and Humans who wouldn't mind it, and other species would go both ways depending on personal and cultural values. Plus, I see this as sick, even for nekos. I would see them more as hunter as they see a Tiny, they catch then they gulp it. The whole idea that a cat person would make a slave out of a mouse boy or girl just irks me in the wrong way.

Also, while I'm at it, most of the humans ignoring the dangers is because of either the individual being cocky or they are newcomers, and has such, have no idea where they are and what to expect. Again, a generalization and a failure at understanding that not all humans or a race are like that.

I'm generalizing.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:18 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Quote :

I'm generalizing.
Generalizing is BAD! Bad Bael! No biscuits for you! Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:49 am

Well, I know people of different cultures all have their own values. Normally (since it all depends on how a society raises it's young). However, that is a completely different topic and it's VERY VERY in depth, because you can't exactly clarify the species. I said generally, because the "tinies market" is something nekos would do. Some nekos might want to enslave them, others might trade them for other purposes, but the point is that is it not so hard to see nekos getting into the practice of trading with the tinies?

The way other species would see them doesn't really matter, that was just an afterthought. I know you hate the idea of humans being dickish in fantasy universes.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Well, I know people of different cultures all have their own values. Normally (since it all depends on how a society raises it's young). However, that is a completely different topic and it's VERY VERY in depth, because you can't exactly clarify the species. I said generally, because the "tinies market" is something nekos would do. Some nekos might want to enslave them, others might trade them for other purposes, but the point is that is it not so hard to see nekos getting into the practice of trading with the tinies?

The way other species would see them doesn't really matter, that was just an afterthought. I know you hate the idea of humans being dickish in fantasy universes.
I just hate the "Humans are a race of bastards" bullshit. However, I don't see them as the pinnacle of goodness, just that they can be evil or morally ambiguous. I like to see that in all races.

But we digress. Razz
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:

I just hate the "Humans are a race of bastards" bullshit. However, I don't see them as the pinnacle of goodness, just that they can be evil or morally ambiguous. I like to see that in all races.

But we digress. Razz

I think every race has it's bastards.

And oh how we have digressed geek
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Some nekos might want to enslave them, others might trade them for other purposes, but the point is that is it not so hard to see nekos getting into the practice of trading with the tinies?
It's not hard seeing them do so, but the thing is that (by design or not) you are making it look like trading with tinies will be a predominantly Neko habit. Which is odd as not only are Tom Thumbs and the like known to be secretive in Negav (to the point that apparently many residents of Negav don't know their presence), but they're now trading with the race that has a high frequency of looking at them the same way Crisis looks at Nekos. I imagine there would be a Tinies Market in Nekomura... but it would have an entirely different meaning than "Tinies trading with Nekomura citizens":

"Tinies, Tom Thumbs, Efrii! Get them fresh! Only the most energetic and delectable of quality!"
"Delectable Neeras! Buy three get the family free!"
"Ariformids on a stick! Ariformids on a stick! Get them while they're squirming!"

Any wares of the Tinies traded in the town would most likely be the result of "Oh hey, the snack had some good stuff. *Pokes belly* You won't mind if I sell these for you, right?", and not "Welcome to our fair town citizen!"

Of course, this is in itself a generalization / stereotype. While I imagine some Tinies could live in Nekomura, for the most part I do feel it'd be much more... "dangerous" (See: Suicidal) than living in Negav. To re-iterate: Look at most of the human settlements that live alongside Giant Predators that aren't benevolent like Rin or Cypress. Look at the frequency of "accidents", sacrifices, and so on. Multiple the number of Giant Predators now by about three-to-five digits. That's Tinies living in Nekomura.

Back onto the overall topic:

The way money was proposed now (more medieval), I'm imagining it having actual value instead of being watered down & backed by the government. Your gold piece worth the gold it's made of because it's literally gold (and not something like gold-coated iron or copper). This would improve worth for trading outside Felarya, as - assuming Negav works off a Magiocrat-backed currency - then the Neko's money still has worth should the connection to Felarya be snipped. Any sort of "currency" would be local / cosmetic, unless they're watering it down more to spread the wealth / decrease the variance in individual coin wealth (Ex: So they can have 50¢ coins, $1 Coins, $2, or some other random set of numbers).

For Nekomura coin differences, perhaps cosmetic stuff like references to the city and / or major political figures at the time?

Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:28 am

To respond to the original post, I think Nekomura has the same currency as Negav. It's pretty nearby and it would be just inconvenient otherwise. But other tribes situated in much remote locations could well use one of their own. Keep in mind that anything can be used as a currency as long as it is recognized by people Smile ( feathers, stones etc.. )
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Could tinies/neera be sold in Nekomura and brought into negav legally? If the city is officially against slavery (as a legitimate business, I know slave trade probably still happens in the Negav black market) do they still respect the laws of other regions/cultures? Also, what is the difference law wise between a tiny and someone shrunk through magic (can the difference even be told)?

Would make for some....interesting business between say a Neko jungle guide and a fairy looking for some easy meals...
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Quote :
what is the difference law wise between a tiny and someone shrunk through magic (can the difference even be told)?
Any mage will probably be able to sense the spell. Fairy shrinking magic also wears off after a while if their fairy doesn't stay near.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Grave
Grave

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Quote :
what is the difference law wise between a tiny and someone shrunk through magic (can the difference even be told)?
Any mage will probably be able to sense the spell. Fairy shrinking magic also wears off after a while if their fairy doesn't stay near.

How long is a while and what is the distance threshold for the spell to endure?

I was thinking a fairy could stay close enough to nekomura (or hell, even in nekomura if the mini isolon eye there is weak enough) and partner a trade with a neko guide. The neko collects the money from the group, leads them outside the village where the fairy partner shrinks them, eats some of them, then the neko returns to the village to sell the poor victims as yummy "tinies". I can just see the poor little people banging helplessly on little glass bottles from the inside screaming that they arn't really tinies until some hungry neko comes and purchases a good meal.

MUAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA!

Pretty good plan and hmmmm possible story idea. Evil laugh

...Why do I keep getting these evil ideas?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Grave wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
Quote :

I was thinking a fairy could stay close enough to nekomura (or hell, even in nekomura if the mini isolon eye there is weak enough) and partner a trade with a neko guide. The neko collects the money from the group, leads them outside the village where the fairy partner shrinks them, eats some of them, then the neko returns to the village to sell the poor victims as yummy "tinies". I can just see the poor little people banging helplessly on little glass bottles from the inside screaming that they arn't really tinies until some hungry neko comes and purchases a good meal.

MUAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA!

Its not like the Nekomura Eye Fragment has a range of 50ft, lol. A fairy couldn't just hang out at the edge of town. Fairy magic wears off once the caster gets too far away, or loses track of the target. I doubt the tiny trade is too big inside Nekomura, anyway. The Magiocrats are going to be keeping a close eye on them, and they certainly aren't going to be alright with any of that kind of stuff. If there is one, it would be secret and small. Nekos in the Negav area are probably going to be trying to humanize themselves as much as possible so that the humans of Negav may treat them with a little less prejudice.

Plus that isn't a hard scam to figure out if she did it more than a few times. As soon as word got out about it, an Isolon Fist detatchment would be sent in to capture the neko, and then hunt down and dispatch the Fairy. Near-Negav pred security is one of their jobs afterall.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 6:07 pm

rcs619 wrote:

Its not like the Nekomura Eye Fragment has a range of 50ft, lol. A fairy couldn't just hang out at the edge of town. Fairy magic wears off once the caster gets too far away, or loses track of the target. I doubt the tiny trade is too big inside Nekomura, anyway. The Magiocrats are going to be keeping a close eye on them, and they certainly aren't going to be alright with any of that kind of stuff. If there is one, it would be secret and small. Nekos in the Negav area are probably going to be trying to humanize themselves as much as possible so that the humans of Negav may treat them with a little less prejudice.

Plus that isn't a hard scam to figure out if she did it more than a few times. As soon as word got out about it, an Isolon Fist detatchment would be sent in to capture the neko, and then hunt down and dispatch the Fairy. Near-Negav pred security is one of their jobs afterall.

Well then we have a split in this thread of assumptions of how big such a market in nekomura would be.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
malahite wrote:
spices would probably reflect local tastes, maybe shops selling Neeras and Tinies (and other miniature things) as delicacies, few other things, but it seemingly wouldn't be too far off

And I thought the Isolon eye in Nekomura was supposed ot be a "super cheap ass version" where the Isolon eye already affected things based on size?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Quote :
And I thought the Isolon eye in Nekomura was supposed ot be a "super cheap ass version" where the Isolon eye already affected things based on size?

It is a much cheaper version. The Isolon Eye's range (if you're looking on the map) extends past the dimensional gate. Nekomura, without its fragment, is just outside of The Eye's range. Considering that The Eye itself is dead center inside Negav, it covers a huge area. If we assume the Nekomura fragment is half, or even a quarter as powerful, it would still cover a decent chunk of land. It isn't like their fragment only just extends past the villiage, then preds could just wait right on the edge of town. It has to work fairly well, or the Nekos have no incentive to keep going back to the Magiocrats for a recharge.

Quote :

Negavian authority does extend beyond its walls. The entire near-Negav area is under Negav's rule in some form or another. I don't think the Magiocrats are going to allow a tiny snack trade to go on, at least out in the open. I can easily see that being one part of whatever contract the Magiocrats made with the Nekos to let them have a fragment of the Isolon Eye. There are probably quite a few rules and regulations the Nekos are expected to follow if they want to keep it...and follow them they will, because the alternative is pretty bad.

Like I said, if anything, any nekos living near Negav are going to be trying to "humanize" themselves as much as possible, to try and lessen some of the distrust and predjudice their human neighbors harbor towards them.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Maybe there are Vendor stands that sell cookies and "cookies". the "cookies" are actully tinies in a box and sell these "cookies" to trusted customers or who ever forks over enough chash... box counts include 10, 20, 50, and crates of 250 "cookies". I know it sound wrong but hell why not, these are Nekos where talking about... sometimes they just cant supress the instinct. cat Evil laugh

Last edited by luke112 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Yeah i had no idea what the others where talking about and decided after see a comment to change it to match current dissucsion)
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 2:37 pm

luke112 wrote:
Maybe there are custome shops in Nekomura , shops that would allowe you to obtain or order items you couldnt get in negav

Luke, that was completely unrelated to anything in this thread. Keep pointless posts to yourself.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 pm

I figure that among average nekos, eating tinies would be seen as gross and "uncivilized."

But, it is a part of life for wild nekos. I can see some younger, less wise nekos doing it for shits and giggles/ just to be rebellious.

Which would inevitably lead to PSAs in Negavian schools in a "War on Vore".

"Friends don't let friends eat tinies."

"Say NO to tinies"

"This is your stomach. This is your stomach digesting an adorable mouse-girl you sick fuck."

Razz
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Grave wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
Quote :

MUAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA!

because deep down Were all evil in our own way, Embrace the evil let it flow through your veins and become a dark Lord Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:19 am

Whoa, this thread came back to life.

Anyway, I never did know how Nekomurians (spelling?) conducted their business. And though I love the occasional nekojin, I never could shake the feeling of weariness, like they would instantly show bias against any Negavite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nekomura's Market? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nekomura's Market?   Nekomura's Market? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nekomura's Market?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next