Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Distances and travelling time

Go down 
+10
rcs619
Archmage_Bael
TheLightLost
Pendragon
EdgedWeapon
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
Shady Knight
Oldman40k2003
Karbo
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Distances and travelling time Empty
PostSubject: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:03 am

Ok this is a question that has been brought a lot, eluded a lot for a time but that clearly need to be adressed.

Distances and travelling time ^^
By now I think it's clear the map is more of a tool to know where things are situated, rather than having informations on the travelling lenght. The most striking example is the size of Negav compared to other elements... it's highly innacurate.
And it doesn't help that I have a really hard time to figure english measurements too ^^;

So I'm creating this thread so we can establish some example of distance.

Like for example the distance from :

-Negav to the Giant tree

-The Giant tree to Chordoni waterfalls.

Height of frost peak : 17,000 feet ( 5.182 meters )

etc

I'm assuming it takes roughly a day for Crisis to go from the Giant tree to visit Vivian in Chordoni watefalls, slithering at a peacefull pace, and knowing the jungle is rather dense for a giant naga when you come near to Bulvon woods.

Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:14 am

Karbo wrote:
I'm assuming it takes roughly a day for Crisis to go from the Giant tree to visit Vivian in Chordoni watefalls, slithering at a peacefull pace, and knowing the jungle is rather dense for a giant naga when you come near to Bulvon woods.

Roughly a day as in 24 hours of slithering (a full day), 8 hours of slithering (a work day (of sorts)), or a "day" to go there and back again?
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:42 am

It would be a day to go there as in leaving in the morning and arriving as night start to fall, so let's say 10 - 11 hours ^^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 7:38 am

I think another problem is that it obviously takes much less time for a giant to get from Point A to Point B than a human, if we assume they both walk at the same pace, and the type of locomotion a Predator uses.

I think that putting distances such as miles between Point A and Point B is going to be quite troublesome. I would personally aim for representation in days, like "Nekomura is half a day of walk from Negav" rather than "Nekomura is ten miles away from Negav."

The next obstacle would be to figure out a scale between how long it takes for a giant and a human to get to the same destination at the same pace. But have no idea how to do it. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:29 am

The Giant Tree is an excellent reference point to use for this.

By my own estimates, it's a days travel to get from the Giant Tree to the Chordoni Falls. It is also about a days travel to get from the Giant Tree to Ur-Sagol. From Chordoni to the Bach would also be roughly the same. Or from the Giant Tree to visit Drayla I guess. Or to the Ascarlin Mountains.

As a similar travel distance, Fenja took about one day of travel to get from the Chordoni River to about halfway through the Evernight Forest.

Using this rough guide you can sort of calculate days of travel for predators. The tricky part is for smaller people. If we could do the math to see their travel time comparatively we could figure something out. For example, running like hell, Telekline and Voidfingers managed to get only to Bulvon woods - though its uncertain how far in.... But with Fiona I'd guess it was only a day or less to get to the Mysterious temple. Probably only half a day if just trying to get to the lake shore.

Last edited by Jætte_Troll on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:57 am

In case we want to base the distances and travel time off the map in any way, I've taken some measurements from the latest map:

All measurements are in pixels. I suppose it depends what we convert 1 pixel to.

Distances:

Giant Tree (Center) to:
  • Ur Sagol Ruins (Centre) 64px
  • The Bach 168px
  • Safe Harbour 200px
  • Mysterious Temple (Centre) 383px

Negav (Centre) to:
  • Negav Dimensional Gate 97px
  • Diamond Mines 146px

Sizes:
(All sizes are taken as an absolutely horizontal/vertical line that aligns on the perpendicular axis to the furthermost points of each thing)

Orelosk Plateau
  • 240px Horizontal
  • 249px Vertial

Frost Mountains
  • 528px Horizontal
  • 588 px Vertical

Miragia Forest
  • 335px Horizontal
  • 317 px Vertical

Ascarlin Mountains
  • 300 Horizontal
  • 256px Vertical
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:48 am

Karbo wrote:

So, if it takes a day to get there, then would Crisis "sleep over"?

This is a great idea, hopfeully there'll be some consistency in the distances on Felarya. It was starting to get a bit confusing.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:41 pm

I hope the distance between to such places as the Pyrale Mountains isn't too far away.

How far would you reckon it would take for a predator to reach there, assuming you started at the great tree?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Pendragon wrote:
I hope the distance between to such places as the Pyrale Mountains isn't too far away.

How far would you reckon it would take for a predator to reach there, assuming you started at the great tree?

My estimate for that would be about three days. Maybe four if they get really slowed down by the Grove of Carvinorous Plants and the great marsh.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm afraid Frost Peak is a bit too high. That's over twice the height of Mount Everest. I'm not saying it can't be that tall, but I can't even imagine it to be honest. Where does that put the Dead Zone, or maximum height for the sustainability of life? On earth it's a little less than 6,000 ft, or 1.83 km. Even given Felarya's expanded atmosphere, its hard to concieve of a mountain that could sustain life at 17,000 ft.

We need to narrow down the height of Felarya's atmosphere. I'm suggesting the Dead Zone be at or around 9,500 ft, or 2.9 km. That is a bit easier to picture, imho. Perhaps Cauldronborn24 should take a stab at this. He's probably the right guy for the task.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:20 pm

gt500x wrote:
I'm afraid Frost Peak is a bit too high. That's over twice the height of Mount Everest. I'm not saying it can't be that tall, but I can't even imagine it to be honest. Where does that put the Dead Zone, or maximum height for the sustainability of life? On earth it's a little less than 6,000 ft, or 1.83 km. Even given Felarya's expanded atmosphere, its hard to concieve of a mountain that could sustain life at 17,000 ft.

We need to narrow down the height of Felarya's atmosphere. I'm suggesting the Dead Zone be at or around 9,500 ft, or 2.9 km. That is a bit easier to picture, imho. Perhaps Cauldronborn24 should take a stab at this. He's probably the right guy for the task.

Hmmm... I swear that we've had the Frost Peak discussion before and agree it was too high... strange.

Hehe... now I get the idea that "px" is actually a short term for a standard Felaryan unit of length. XP Like we us "km".

"Yeah, it's only about 150px to the Ascarlin mines."

Making it actually "pixel" might be silly but there could be another word...
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:24 pm

we already established this I think. the density and sizes of the plants give out a lot more oxygen than the plants here on earth, in addition that felarya's atmosphere would be more complicated to figure (since most atmospheres are thicker/higher due to certain variables on a planet).

sustainable life in felarya will reach up to 17k ft. Mount everest is about 29k feet give or take, though at one point breathing equipment is normally used. There *have* been people to climb mount everest WITHOUT breathing equipment, don't ask me how but it has been done.

Honestly, since everything in felarya is so big already, a 17k ft tall mountain seems a bit small to me to be honest, but we never said it was the biggest mountain around did we?
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 7:23 pm

My bad! I had my measurements confused. Ft >< Km switcharoo. ^^;

...Seacrest out.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 pm

s'ok.

I was under the impression that the distances were far bigger. Though if what was seen on the map was the continent (and a large one) it might make felarya seem smaller because of how much we have already come up with regarding it. Since everything is so dense on the map already it still gives the impression that hardly any part of it has been discovered/thought of.

I like measurements like "as the fairy flies" (they're slower than harpies right?) or as the Kensha runs. (Or as the Glouteaux flops? I guess it would, being the 17th stupidest creature in the multiverse.) Just because it takes a naga a day to slither to the waterfall doesn't mean humans can walk there in a day, granted it could take several. Has anyone seen snakes slither? They're really fast, and I'm talking about even about my gopher snake.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 am

Okay... we have a rough idea of distances for predators.

But I think what is still vague is the time for smaller people on foot.

So, going with the general idea it's 10 hours for a pred to go from Great Tree to Chordoni - what is the human time? Hmmm... this involves math I think which I am fail at....
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 2:35 am

Me too sadly ^^;

Let's start with the beginning. Can we assume a naga would slither at the same pace than say a giantess in average ? or slower or faster ?

Then from there we would have to calculate the different of pace and distance covered between a giant's step and an human one. It was done in a previous thread that I don't find >>
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 3:51 am

Karbo wrote:
Me too sadly ^^;

Let's start with the beginning. Can we assume a naga would slither at the same pace than say a giantess in average ? or slower or faster ?

Then from there we would have to calculate the different of pace and distance covered between a giant's step and an human one. It was done in a previous thread that I don't find >>

Yeah this was all done in a previous thread.

As far as nagas go, the general assumption was that they slither at roughly the same pace as a similarly sized, legged, giant...but can attain greater speeds in short bursts.

First of all, let's look at the average strides.

The average human male is about 6ft tall, and has an average walking stride of 1.5 - 2ft (0.4 - 0.6m).

So, as a basic conversion, we can say that the average stride of a humanoid would be roughly 1/3 of their total height.

Now, let's look at a 70ft tall giant, since 70ft seems to be the average height of giants of all species.

A 70ft tall human would have a stride of somewhere between 18 - 23ft (5.4 - 7m).

This is the amount of ground they would cover with each step. Which is, well, quite a bit.

The average walking speed of a human male is about 3 miles per hour (4.8 kilometers per hour).

OKAY, TIME FOR MATH:

3 miles = 15840ft (divided by) 2ft/stride = 7920 strides/ 3mile (strides/hour) = 2640 strides/mile

23ft stride -- 15840ft (divided by ) 23ft/stride = 688 strides/ 3mile (strides/hour) = 229 strides/mile

Now, without knowing the average number of strides per minute, we have to do some approximation. I divided the number of strides a human takes in a mile (2640) by the number a giant would take (229). This means that a giant is moving moving about 11.5 times faster than a human.

I then simply multiplied the human walking speed of 3 mph (4.8 km/h) by 11.5.

If my calculations are correct, then the average walking speed of a 70ft tall giant is roughly 34.5 mph (55.2 km/h)

*huff-pufff* DONE (I believe Malahite got an estimate of roughly 40mph for pred walking speed in the last thread, so I think this is fairly close to that).

Running speeds get a bit tough, because there are various types of runs and pacings. When we consider that 34.5 moh (55.2 km/h) is an average, easy walk...then I don't think its too far of a stretch to assume predators can break 90-100mph (144 - 160 km/h) in a full-on run. Of course, the dense nature of jungle terrain would limit their top speeds and general mobility.

SO IN SUMMATION:
- Most ground-based preds: 34.5 moh (55.2 km/h) average walking speed
- 4-legged tauric preds: ...Im not doing that. Someone else can do the math. Likely more than twice as fast as other terrestrial preds.
- Underwater preds: ...Once again, not doing it, lol. They are also likely very fast.
- Harpies: Harpy speed can be extremely variable, but somewhere around 200mph (320 km/h) seems about right for a middle of the road cruising velocity.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 am

"Their stride may be increased, but speed of the step itself? Right now, assuming that they make a step as fast as a human (roughly two-to-three each second), they're going to be going either 27mph or 40mph at a 20ft stride. Of course, this seems a bit silly. Especially only 20ft a stride. But then, a human only covering 1.5ft each stride seems silly also. Using math, it turns out the average male stride is about 31in. With the average male being something like 5'10" (or 70 inches), that's just shy of 1/2 the height... but that also makes about one stride a second at walking speed. Giving the Predators two to be generous, and at 1/2 their height (of 80ft we'll say for this debate) for 40ft each, we're speaking 80ft covered a second. This brings them up to... 54mph for walking speed."

Properly rounding it (31/70th) instead of halving, you're getting 425" / 35.43' per stride. Again, two-to-three strides a second. Multiply that by 3600, divide it so as to get into miles, 48.3mph at two / second, 72.48mph at three / second.

72.48mph seems a bit high for a high-end for me, but does exist as a number. Either way, using the 10-11 hours fact from Karbo, that puts the distance between the Tree and Chordoni watefalls...

Lowest end: 270 miles.
Highest End: 797 miles.

So, at average human walking speed being mobile 18 hours / day (assume the party has a mean to rest during travel, also excluding having any sort of animal / beasts of burden to increase travel time), and that the average walking speed is 3mph, that's anywhere between five days and 14ish-15 days for a human group to travel the same distance.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:48 am

As far as predator speed, the slug/snail girls should be at most half speed, cause they're slugs.

Another problem would be vehicles for humans and such, since not all of them move at the same speed, which is going to be a problem to evaluate how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:55 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
As far as predator speed, the slug/snail girls should be at most half speed, cause they're slugs.
It's because of Slug Girls that one really can't do a size scaling for the base animals. Whereas such would make Harpies extremely fast and Dridders not too far behind, Slug Girls would be barely around human paces.

Sean Okotami wrote:
Another problem would be vehicles for humans and such, since not all of them move at the same speed, which is going to be a problem to evaluate how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B.
You could use an average beast-of-burden pace: It's not too hard to find average travel times with wagon trains (indeed, if I'm not mistaken there were entire schedules of when wagons were predicted to arrive, with warnings and the like if the wagons were late).
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:18 am

Well, from what I've seen so far, land vehicles can range from stage coaches or caravans pulled by horses or bulls, to a an off-road jeep.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 am

Well Cliff, you really did some math there.

A stride of 23 feet as an average stride definitely seems plausible for your average giant.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:34 pm

I agree, very nice job there Cliff ! It's very helpful Wink
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 6:22 pm

So, as an average.... predators travel around 10 times as fast? So, assuming similar days... about ten days for a human to make it from the Great Tree to the Chordoni Falls?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:02 am

that seems about right Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distances and travelling time
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next