Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Distances and travelling time

Go down 
+10
rcs619
Archmage_Bael
TheLightLost
Pendragon
EdgedWeapon
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
Shady Knight
Oldman40k2003
Karbo
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:02 am

I dunno... that would mean that there would be a standard area of those zones in a precise pattern across Felarya...and lots of area for those zones. I think a more accurate map would be a cleaner solution.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 12:36 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
okay, this may be a stupid suggestion (because I don't know much about map-making)
what if instead of squares, or triangles, or hexagons used too make a grid, we had circles, and the interlocking parts of the circles would be areas of felarya, that would feel kind of like the bermuda triangle? it's hard to gauge direction in those parts, and it can be one reason why going from the great tree to two different areas can feel like it took way longer even though they're the same distance apart.

While I don't like the regular grid that you are describing, I think the idea of having a terrain type whose time to cross is variable due to "spatial distortions" to be a very interesting one, and probably something that should be included, even if it is just in the Miragia forest.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:42 pm

well from what I gather, grid like maps are harder anyway, because it's difficult to be accurate. It's a problem normally when you have a sphere, those maps of the earth with different connected ovals seem to get pretty accurate, but drawing a sphere on a sheet of paper has always been tricky. never mind that felarya is a flat surface in reality? xP

I think we should just take the b(est)imate and move on.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:04 pm

So... I'm not sure if I get it now, but is it that creatures the size of humans would take about 10-12 times the time required from a giant if they took the same itinerary? I know Cliff did some maths on it, but I think we should establish something like that to help stories with a lot of exploration.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
So... I'm not sure if I get it now, but is it that creatures the size of humans would take about 10-12 times the time required from a giant if they took the same itinerary? I know Cliff did some maths on it, but I think we should establish something like that to help stories with a lot of exploration.
It depends on the terrain, since you can't really scale things linearly in some instances. For example, mountainous terrain on Felarya is going to be just as bad for Giant creatures as it is for "Prey"-sized, at least barring those that aren't developed for such terrain (Ex: A Mountain Spider Dridder species could probably cross the terrain much better than a Plain-spider version of a Dridder). Some areas of forest are also harder to cross when a "Prey" than a Giant, roots essentially forming giant walls / mazes for them.

Essentially, try to apply some common sense when you work. Wink Flatlands, yes, a Giant will probably be much faster than something human-sized. Water? A Human, if access to a boat, will probably pass much faster. Mountains? What type of equipment are we looking at for the humanoids, what's the terrain noted to be, and what's the Giant species you're comparing to? And so on, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Distances and travelling time   Distances and travelling time - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distances and travelling time
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3