Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vine Dryad

Go down 
+3
Karbo
Shady Knight
Pendragon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Species: Dryad

Height: 50-150 feet (when standing upright)
Length: 100-300 feet
Thread: Normal

Vine dryads are half human beings composed of hundreds, if not thousands, of vines entangled together and given working bodily functions with sentience in a similar manner that regular dryads are born with. They are living vine masses that can stand upright at well over several hundred feet, though when they do this their body seems to be much skinnier, and from a distance they can be mistaken for nagas due to them keeping their vine ends in one bunch. Their arms, composed of vines as well, can extend long distances and catch prey from a mile away, though when they aren't doing this they try to keep their unused vines coiled up, to prevent them getting tangled. They can also scatter their bottom vines and use them to scuttle along the ground short distances, to navigate rough terrain, or in emergencies they can crawl along the ground and, if needed, they can use their vine arms to swing around from location to location.

The vine dryad in specific can separate the vines at her bottom and plant them into the ground should she decide to stay in one spot for nutrients or simply because she feels like it. She has the ability to spread her vines out long distances since they are stretchy, and thanks to their durability, most v dryads can store massive amounts of rich nutrients in their vines for later use. However, her body can't actually support itself in this position, and if left along the dryad's body will sag to one side, so to avoid this it must find an object to wrap around to keep itself upright. Usually it is common for a vine dryad to wrap around a tree, a wayward group of rocks, or even a regular dryad for support, often entangling roots with her. Most try not to mooch off the nutrients in the soil if they can help it, as vine dryads are generally friendly with other dryads. This is why most will keep an extra supply of nutrients, to avoid being a "weed" to the other dryads.

The main diet of the dryad can exist primarily of any organic matter they can find, be it fertilizer, soil, water, sunlight, living organisms, whatever they can find. They try not to be picky about their meals.

Credit for the idea goes to, well, a bunch of guys that brainstormed with me over the IRC

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 am

It's a pretty nice idea. I'd like to see some turn part of their human half as long vines for obvious reasons. angel
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 am

It's an interesting idea I think Smile
I would imagine them to be more elementals though ? a bit like the Kudzu python
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 3:12 am

Indeed, I agree with Karbo. these sound more like Flora elemenals, similar to Bloom dryads.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rephrasing.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:40 am

Well, the idea is open to improvements. They could be considered nature elementals if that will make them easier to understand.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I actually don't get Bloom DRYADS as Elementals. I was pretty much under the assumption that if a creature is named Something Dryad, then it's a Dryad. I think we need to make the Nature Elementals more consistent, considering that I came up with the idea.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I always imagined an elemental to have a roughly humanoid shape, and made up of whatever element, with a spirit of some kind as the "heart" and "soul".

Kind of makes me think if a mage trapped the soul of something in a refridgerator, would it become a "food elemental"? XD
Back to top Go down
dragonjaj
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
dragonjaj

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Elementals are not somthing that are made by mages what your thinking of is a gulom. Elementles are living easenc of the forces of nature. Some are even compared to a living disaster, such as fire, storm, lighting and wind elementals that cave a scar of distortion in there paths. Others are seen as divine like forest or harvest elemental witch spread life in there foot steps. why druids see them as goods there is also a vast difference between a dryad and a elemental. Theo druids do see dryads as sacred too.

But no one say the 2 cant shair traits the i have woundered why no one has done a dryad elamental thoe..........
Back to top Go down
http://dragonjaj.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I always imagined an elemental to have a roughly humanoid shape, and made up of whatever element, with a spirit of some kind as the "heart" and "soul".

Kind of makes me think if a mage trapped the soul of something in a refridgerator, would it become a "food elemental"? XD

Hmm... I always thought of something more akin to the nome king of the movie "Return to Oz", a being capable of taking on a multitude of forms, especially if they were quite powerful. In this case he could be compared to an earth elemental.
Back to top Go down
dragonjaj
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
dragonjaj

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Jasconius wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:

Hmm... I always thought of something more akin to the nome king of the movie "Return to Oz", a being capable of taking on a multitude of forms, especially if they were quite powerful. In this case he could be compared to an earth elemental.

Yes thats a good exsample of what a earth stone or mountin elemental would look like.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonjaj.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Vine Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vine Dryad   Vine Dryad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vine Dryad
Page 1 of 1