Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Naga Species

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 am

So with the discussion we had in a different thread, I think it's time new ideas to classify nagas by species should be brought up. I realize that Fairies need the same treatment, but given that they seem to specialize by magic rather than by element, the task is going to be more difficult, so let's deal with the serpent lady first. Keep in mind that this is just base concepts for the time being.

Field Nagas - Usually found in areas with little dense foliage, using the color of their tail to blend in tall grass or in flower fields. Very swift for their kind. Usually have an affinity for light, wind, earth and nature magic.

Arboreal Nagas - Usually found in jungles and forested areas. Typically have green tones to their scales which lets them hide in the canopy, and long, powerful tails that let them scale trees and leap to different branches with ease. Usually have an affinity for nature and wind magic, as well as others depending on their location, such as darkness in Evernight and water in the swamps.

Subterranean Nagas - Usually found around mountains or underground. Often have earthly colors, very thick and hard scales, robust bodies, and have adapted to see in absence of light. Usually have an affinity for earth and darkness.

Desert/Canyon/Volcanic Nagas - Usually found in arid regions. Typically have earthly tones, though with greater shades of yellow, orange or red depending on their location. Can retain large amount of water and have great tolerance for high temperature. Typically have an affinity for fire and earth magic, though desert cousins tend to have a predilection toward wind and light magic.

Storm Nagas - Usually found around regions with unpredictable weather. Scale color varies, but tend to match the environment. Are capable of sensing ambient changes in the atmosphere such as temperature, pressure, etc. Tend to have an affinity for wind, lightning, water and ice magic.

River Nagas - Usually found around freshwater. Scale color usually range between blue and purple. Are good swimmers and can be dangerous to river mermaids. Typically have a predilection toward water and ice magic.

Glacial Nagas - Usually found around cold regions. Scale color usually range from white to cyan. They have great tolerance for low temperatures and retain normal traction on ice and snow. Tend to have an affinity for ice, water and wind magic, though mountainous cousins have a predilection for earth magic.

That is all I can come up with.

Last edited by Sean Okotami on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:30 am

Hmmm, I like it. It pretty much covers all the main bases, while still leaving plenty of room for individual variance.

One thing I would still suggest is maybe changng the name of the "Plain Naga" to "Plains Naga", or maybe even something like "Flatland Naga" or "Field Naga" (or something else of your choice, of course. Lots of potential options).

Plain Naga works, but something just seems...off about it. Either way, just a minor suggestion. The rest of this seems pretty solid.

Nice work ^^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am

I changed the Plain Naga to Field Naga, since they could be hiding in big flower fields.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I changed the Plain Naga to Field Naga, since they could be hiding in big flower fields.

*nodnod* That should work fine then. It can also account for any nagas in the forest that prefer to live on the ground. I don't imagine all of them would be arboreal.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:19 am

Well I wrote "usually" denoting that it's the most common area that you would find such, while still leaving the door open for exception and special cases. Same goes for color. Ruby would be a Glacial Naga, but has unusual scale colors.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:25 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Well I wrote "usually" denoting that it's the most common area that you would find such, while still leaving the door open for exception and special cases. Same goes for color. Ruby would be a Glacial Naga, but has unusual scale colors.

Good to see that you planned for all that. Yeah, just because something is said to "be the norn" doesn't mean that there are NO variations, or individuals are are different than the norm. That's what I like about this idea. It gives organization, without having to sacrifice individuality.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
So with the discussion we had in a different thread, I think it's time new ideas to classify nagas by species should be brought up. I realize that Fairies need the same treatment, but given that they seem to specialize by magic rather than by element, the task is going to be more difficult, so let's deal with the serpent lady first. Keep in mind that this is just base concepts for the time being.

Well this work quite well indeed and I'm really considering that now. It looks a fine middle-ground between having a classification on species / element. Nice job ^^

For fairies though I'm less convinced in the sense that, as I see it, their physical features as well as abilities vary rather widely in a manner that doesn't seem classifiable to me ( save for some distinct sub-species who are often the fruit of union with elementals ) They are a pretty colorful and varied race.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Fairies are really hard to clasify, given their specialities... also, it'd be a headache for those with fairy characters that don't feel theirs have the treats for belonging to a certain subspecies. But I could assume that, like with nagas, not all of them should fall in a specific category and exceptions to the rule will happen, so maybe more subspecies could be possible.

But for now, I prefer to see how the naga topic develops before we get in other species. Though myself, I'm no naga expert, so I'll just watch and see. ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 6:02 am

I took a run at the wiki and I noticed that the new naga species were added. Although I also noticed that mentions of light elemental magic had been removed, and it bugs me because there is instances of magic using ambiant absence of light, but not magic using ambiant light.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I took a run at the wiki and I noticed that the new naga species were added. Although I also noticed that mentions of light elemental magic had been removed, and it bugs me because there is instances of magic using ambiant absence of light, but not magic using ambiant light.

well that's because light is everywhere and so, hard to quantify.. why for example would a field naga be prone to light magic but not an arctic or a volcanic one ? But I'm considering removing darkness too as it may looks a bit too specific.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 am

Well it's mostly in areas where light is especially bright. It's like my idea for light elementals. I don't really see them being created in areas with normal sunlight, though I could see them forming in areas where sunlight is incredibly strong and harsh like the desert.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 11:49 am

Karbo wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

well that's because light is everywhere and so, hard to quantify.. why for example would a field naga be prone to light magic but not an arctic or a volcanic one ? But I'm considering removing darkness too as it may looks a bit too specific.

Hmm, I don't know. I think light and darkness-element magic are perfectly viable.

Perhaps they should be a bit of a wildcard? Something nearly everyone has the chance to have an affinity for...but is extremely rare due to its power? Light and Darkness are a bit different from the more normal magical elements, so I could see them potentially having a different set of rules.

I mean, with darkness magic, you can move in shadows, and maybe even use those shadows as weapons. With light magic, well...you could shoot lasers. Basically, all a laser is, is light super-concentrated into a beam.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 am

I thought Vivian had some skills in darkness magic? Or is that different from shadow magic?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 12:52 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Karbo wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Hmm, I don't know. I think light and darkness-element magic are perfectly viable.

Perhaps they should be a bit of a wildcard? Something nearly everyone has the chance to have an affinity for...but is extremely rare due to its power? Light and Darkness are a bit different from the more normal magical elements, so I could see them potentially having a different set of rules.

I mean, with darkness magic, you can move in shadows, and maybe even use those shadows as weapons. With light magic, well...you could shoot lasers. Basically, all a laser is, is light super-concentrated into a beam.
Not to mention you could use light to create holograms, read illusions, and could reflect light away from you so you're invisible to the naked eye.

I also noticed that Fiona is classified as a field naga, despite being able to climb trees extremely easily. I'm presuming that it's because her element is wind. What I was going to try with this system is that the elemental affinity is some of the most common a naga of this species will possess, but is still open to exceptions. My naga Hilary is an Arboreal Naga, but she has an affinity for wind magic like Fiona. The way it goes is that the species cover mostly behavior and traits, with an element commonly associated to their location.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Naga Species Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Naga Species   New Naga Species Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Naga Species
Page 1 of 1