Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felerya Aviation Company

Go down 
+8
Archmage_Bael
rcs619
Stabs
Shady Knight
Karbo
aethernavale
Anime-Junkie
noneofurbussiness
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ravana3k
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Ravana3k

Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:22 am

I'm completely honest: I didn't read all postings because well .... yeah, sometimes it's still difficult to understand everything without using a dictionary all the time, sorry ^^;

You already asked me via Note on DA if I would be interested in connecting Safe Harbor with this Airline and well; I don't think that's it's a great idea. The main-problem I see are not one of the most logical, world-based, or whatever reasons but simple; It takes out alot of danger from Felarya. I see Felarya as a world where humans are a small, a tiny tiny and non-major part at least and they are even not supposed to be there. Like rcs said:

rcs619 wrote:

There are only TWO known cities in Felarya, Negav and Chiotia.

Even if I have to correct; there is also Safe Harbor Razz , the life for humans on Felarya should be dangerous. Such an airline that transports items, people or whatever from point A to point B is something that wouldn't work for long I think because if it works too well, the locals will take care of it. Beside this I see the progress of the typical "industrialisation" (damn is that word even existing in English? ^^) and for example I don't want to see something on safe Harbor because it's a small village in the middle of a great jungle - even if Safe Harbor is growing, the idea of an airport or a airfield close to the village destroys very much of my picture of it and the world around.

So at least I'm very sceptical, but I have to give you the respect for working everything out so far. But I think at least I have to permitt this idea in combination with Safe Harbor, sorry Sad

Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 am

Yeah, I'm not going to repeat my previous posts, because I think I've already covered a lot of the issues in detail.

I just don't think this is a good idea, man. Not necessarily that you haven't put a lot of thought into it, but I just don't think it can fit in Felarya. In some ways, it severely damages the mechanics of the world.

Guess I'll just point out some of the still lingering issues:

1: The repulsor-lift generators: This just seems a bit like cheating. People pointed out the issues that conventional aircraft would have in Felarya, so you just tacked on a bit of techno-babble to get all of the advantage of fixed-wing aircraft with almost none of the flaws. '

2: The funding: I just don't see how Fel-Air can fund most of this. Aircraft and complex machinery require constant upkeep. Mechanics need to be paid, pilots need to be paid, expensive parts need to be bought and then imported (which is going to make them more expensive), as does all the weapons, gear, ammunition and supplemental equipment. An airport itself is going to require upkeep too, so there's janitors, groundskeepers and more. This kind of leads into the next issue...

3: Employment: There's just not a need for a long-range air-travel/courier service. You can't just plop down airfields in the middle of the jungle. The magiocrats won't need air-support because they already have their own fleet of jetbikes and other magi-tech aircraft. Your main idea to make Fel-Air viable seems to be to begin connecting all the cities and small villages which kind of goes into the next issue...

4: World effects: You're putting forth a super-safe, super well-equipped aviation company that seems to somehow have all the funding, equipment and plot-device convenience tech that they need to set up a business in Felarya. They are not only described as very safe, but also have fighter-aircraft to kill preds with. You also want to use them to connect all the different cities in Felarya. The thing is, Felarya is an isolated place. None of the cities are connected, and they aren't meant to be. It's very much like the old world, where you didn't know where everyone else was, where you could go your whole life without ever meeting someone from outside your village. All of these cities and towns are completely isolated from each other, and likely don't know of eachothers existence. The vast majority of people in known Felarya will have never heard of Negav, or only heard of it as a myth or legend. It's a very big, very isolated world. Not like the modern world of today where you can cross an entire country in a couple hours.

I just don't see how Fel-Air could really be viable. I mean, it's got more thought and justification put into it than the Felarya Express, but I just don't see how it would fit into the world.

Quote :
ven if I have to correct; there is also Safe Harbor

Safe Harbor isn't really a city. More like a village or town. It's not big enough to be a "city". Currently only Negav and Chiotia are known to be that big, with Kelerm rumored to be.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 10:41 am

Well an issue I see, regardless of the other issues people say, is just that there isn't anywhere to go except for one other place. That and Chiotia city is quite far away, even for a plane flight I think, and training pilots would also be an issue.

That's not to say your idea isn't well thought-out. Its just not suited for a place like felarya, sorry.

The aircraft I used in the Shatterock Caldera only go from one island to the next, and the proximity between the two are pretty close. That, and it uses technology that already exists within the world - wind mages, and lydronite. That, and its stuck in the Caldera, its in a fixed place. If you want aircraft in felarya, free-flying aircraft without restrictions, I don't see how it can work. Even ones that have restrictions - it'd be too strenuous, and there's just nowhere to go.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Well an issue I see, regardless of the other issues people say, is just that there isn't anywhere to go except for one other place. That and Chiotia city is quite far away, even for a plane flight I think, and training pilots would also be an issue.

That's not to say your idea isn't well thought-out. Its just not suited for a place like felarya, sorry.

The aircraft I used in the Shatterock Caldera only go from one island to the next, and the proximity between the two are pretty close. That, and it uses technology that already exists within the world - wind mages, and lydronite. That, and its stuck in the Caldera, its in a fixed place. If you want aircraft in felarya, free-flying aircraft without restrictions, I don't see how it can work. Even ones that have restrictions - it'd be too strenuous, and there's just nowhere to go.

Fuel range is another issue I forgot to bring up, come to think of it. Felarya is very big.

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t2956-felarya-is-big

Going by the estimate me and tangofox made, flying from Negav to Chiotia would be like flying from Arizona to Florida. That takes hours, even for full-sized jet aircraft. Not to mention all the fuel it would take. Really, traveling from Negav to just about any major landmark would be the equivalent of crossing several US states.
Back to top Go down
noneofurbussiness
Helpless prey

PostSubject: More to work out   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Alright, I have been busy as of late and I will try to get a proper response to you all in the following day or two. Thanks for your patience.

Ravana3k,, everything you said is understandable. (and yes "industrialization" still exists in English lol) If you want to keep the rustic feel, go for it. It's more power to you and I completely respect that.

Now onto some of the other bigger issues. There are a few things that I guess I somehow over looked, and a few things that I was unaware of, as well as some of my own questions that arose from that. BUT I will talk about those next time.

Many of you guys voice a concern of putting airfields in the jungle. There are no airports except at the large cities, the rest is what bush pilots do. They just land and take off on clearings. If its relatively flat with no big rocks/logs/trees to crash into they just land in the grass and dirt (or snow or water depending on kind of plane and the area) Then they unload/load their fuel, rations, medicine,people, whatever they are carrying. Think of the bush pilots in Alaska/Canada. Australia, or any other remote place on earth.

Now it seems to me that people think Fel-Air is too big, too powerful, and too safe. This is not major outfit like Delta Airlines or American Airlines etc. Fel-Air would only have 30-40 aircraft depending on if they got new aircraft and losing others to felarya's dangers. And keep in mind at any given time approximately only half are out and about. The other half are either at Negav on standby to rescue someone, being serviced (repairs, fueling, armorment, etc.), or just simply not being used.

I mean for Fel-Air to be safe-er, yes, but not perfect. Because one thing you guys pointed out, that I suppose I did not think of. Is it messes up the whole vore concept of Felarya if it is too safe. Now I do not mean to do that, and I'm sure the smarter preds will find cleaver ways to try to access this potential food source. What will thatl be? Will it work? I'm not sure, I'll leave that up to the writers.

Now would it be good if I only have, lets say one rapid response team? That would only consist of lets say 1-2 aircraft to help the distress, and another 2-3 aircraft to deal with threats. That way if there is more than one that calls for help, only one will get it while the other just has to deal with whatever they got. Again that could make for some intense stories.

Another thing I did not realize is the size of felarya. I knew it was big, but you guys say its BIG. rcs619 said that the known map of felarya is the size of the continental United States. I thought it was a little less than half that. but I guess that brings up the question of how to travel without running out of fuel, not just for Fel-Air but any vehicle. Live animals/beast won't have that issue, but trucks, cars, motorcycles, hovercraft, jetbikes, feleryan express, any machine, will all be limited by this same feature. How do they get around without being stranded? There ranges are not unlimited, there will be a point where they will have to turn back.

I'll talk about the other stuff next time since I still got work to do before tomorrow. But do you guys got any and all suggestions or ideas that make Fel-Air fit into felerya better? Any thoughts on how to make it more, er...Voreable? Or in general more believable/workable? I am very interested on anything you guys can contribute.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:23 pm

It's not a question of being "vorable", it's a question of fitting in the setting. As it stands out, Cliff has pointed all the flaws with this idea. Though the idea of connecting the big cities with an airline sounds good on paper, it doesn't take into consideration that said big cities are not only rare in Felarya, they're pretty much an anomaly. Not only that, but because of their extreme rarity and the fact that Felarya is so ungodly huge, they are simply too far apart from each other to be aware of each other's presence, let alone have any interaction. So basically, this is an idea to connect Negav with Chiotia, when they probably don't even know about each other.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
noneofurbussiness
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Information?   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Okay, first things first. It's late so I'm just gonna be quick with this, I do have more in the process of being typed up but I do have a few lingering questions to figure out before finishing it.

Does Chiotia City have their own fuel there? Because if Chiotia city's merchants, fishermen, sailors, inhabitants etc. use gas powered vessels and machinery instead of wind/sail/row powered ones, then Fel-Air would be able to fill up at Chiotia city before heading back, making it in range for trade with Negav. Any merchant (which both cities are filled with according to the wiki) would jump at the chance to increase their clientele base. Other wise I will have to think of another main means of profit for Fel-Air to sustain itself.

As for they might not know of eachothers exhistance, this is felerya. There is always someone somewhere who knows of different far off places, and there is always an explorer willing to risk it all to prove its existence or die trying. So the majority might think of such places as rumors, but there are those who always know if its real of not.

Anyways, the one other thing I will handle in this post is the repulser lift thrusters feeling "convienently tacked on" or "cheating".

Throughout felarya there is a wide plethora of magic and technology from an eqaully vast amount of worlds. In Sci-fyi, fantasy, felarya is is accepted that there exist things that make things hover without the usage of wings. (Everyone has the imagery of cars that just hover around or speeder bikes that don't need wheels, just suspended in air.) So why would it be unrealistic to think that a lesser form of that was applied to a winged vehicle to aid in taking off/landing?

Fel-Air's aircraft come from many different worlds, some more like what we would think of as an airplane, and others very strange looking to what we would consider a traditional aircraft. Its all really up to the imagination of the writer. So taking a technology from one world and applying a lesser form of it to other world vehicles seems like a natural and resourseful next step. (Or at least to me anyways...)

And who says the technology isn't stolen from some other world? Edison had patented his movies in the USA so that he was the only one who could make them. But that didn't stop anyone from making them. In Europe his patent didn't even count over there, and countless people produced movies in the USA still. American Biograph was a big name quality movie maker back in the early days of cinema, which stole much of its technology from Edison who had it legally patented to his name.

Would it be more acceptable if the repulse lift thrusters were more of a magic base thing instead of a technology based thing? Given that felarya is so saturated with magic and so many things get their power from that instead of using non-magic properties.

But yeah, it does create something in the middle between our traditional aircraft and some sci-fyi flying car. I want to make it more versitle and work, but not make it too easy where the aircraft and just float up like a balloon. Ya know?

Anyways that's all I'll cover for right now and I would LOVE an answer about the fuel situation in other places besides Negav. Thanks!

[b]
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 pm

noneofurbussiness wrote:
Does Chiotia City have their own fuel there? Because if Chiotia city's merchants, fishermen, sailors, inhabitants etc. use gas powered vessels and machinery instead of wind/sail/row powered ones, then Fel-Air would be able to fill up at Chiotia city before heading back, making it in range for trade with Negav. Any merchant (which both cities are filled with according to the wiki) would jump at the chance to increase their clientele base. Other wise I will have to think of another main means of profit for Fel-Air to sustain itself.

Kid...its time I taught you about the birds and the bees. geek Okay, I'm kidding when I say that, but for a more serious note Chiotia wouldn't use gasoline/fossil fuels or even have internal combustion engines. You have to remember that Chiotia doesn't have a gate next to it like Felarya where it can import goods from off-world. Also, it's on an island, too far from any resources that could be used as efficient fuel. Off-shore oil platforms are too technologically advanced, and even if it wasn't - too risky for a number of reasons. One being that the platform would have to be pretty far off from the town, and they'd need advanced ships to go quickly between the platform and the island, not to mention all the other creatures in the ocean that would make drilling difficult. Simply put, it's not feasible.

That's not to say there aren't various magical strategies you could use for vehicles, aside from basic carts.

noneofurbussiness wrote:
As for they might not know of each others exhistance, this is felerya. There is always someone somewhere who knows of different far off places, and there is always an explorer willing to risk it all to prove its existence or die trying. So the majority might think of such places as rumors, but there are those who always know if its real of not.

The problem here, is you're dealing with an incredibly large "if". You have to realize how difficult it is to get even a couple hundred miles away from Negav safely, not to mention a few thousand - and BACK so they could tell Negav about Chiotia. Even if an adventurer from Chiotia befriends a Sea-Krait Naga, and s/he takes their friend on an adventure for a few years that manage to find Negav - we still have the fact that there's probably not a map they could use that goes that far, they'd have to randomly stumble across the "other guys". The fact that we're dealing with such a big "if" means it's a problem.

noneofurbussiness wrote:
Throughout felarya there is a wide plethora of magic and technology from an eqaully vast amount of worlds. In Sci-fi, fantasy, felarya is is accepted that there exist things that make things hover without the usage of wings. (Everyone has the imagery of cars that just hover around or speeder bikes that don't need wheels, just suspended in air.) So why would it be unrealistic to think that a lesser form of that was applied to a winged vehicle to aid in taking off/landing?

The closest thing to hover technology is either Eidoron or Lydronite (the latter of which isn't canonized) Eidoron is nigh immovable (but Lydronite is, but like I said: its not cannonized, even if it were, its really rare). Also, repulsorlift engines are pretty much Star Wars, and you know how scientifically credible they are.

noneofurbussiness wrote:
Fel-Air's aircraft come from many different worlds, some more like what we would think of as an airplane, and others very strange looking to what we would consider a traditional aircraft. Its all really up to the imagination of the writer. So taking a technology from one world and applying a lesser form of it to other world vehicles seems like a natural and resourseful next step. (Or at least to me anyways...)

Well there's already travel-craft from off world that take people into felarya for a fee. If you're going to suggest air craft from off world, it's probably a better idea to stick to that. If Negav flat out purchased an aircraft, then we resort back to our previous problems.

noneofurbussiness wrote:
And who says the technology isn't stolen from some other world? Edison had patented his movies in the USA so that he was the only one who could make them. But that didn't stop anyone from making them. In Europe his patent didn't even count over there, and countless people produced movies in the USA still. American Biograph was a big name quality movie maker back in the early days of cinema, which stole much of its technology from Edison who had it legally patented to his name.

Well Negav imports a ton of supplies from off world, but the tech is all for the military. Even so, just adding more ascarlin to the off-world trading budget wont cover all our problems.

noneofurbussiness wrote:
Would it be more acceptable if the repulse lift thrusters were more of a magic base thing instead of a technology based thing? Given that felarya is so saturated with magic and so many things get their power from that instead of using non-magic properties.

Once again, Eidoron, but good luck finding it. Better luck mining it.

noneofurbussiness wrote:
But yeah, it does create something in the middle between our traditional aircraft and some sci-fyi flying car. I want to make it more versitle and work, but not make it too easy where the aircraft and just float up like a balloon. Ya know?

I know, and I wont tell you to stop trying to make this idea work. However, I will tell you that if you're going to continue pursuing this, just realize the insane level of difficulty that will ensue upon trying to actually make this work.
Back to top Go down
noneofurbussiness
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Quote :
but for a more serious note Chiotia wouldn't use gasoline/fossil fuels or even have internal combustion engines

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I figured I might as well ask to be safe. I thought it would be just sail boats and windmills such like that. But that does put inter city trade out of the question if people are to buy into the concept. (side note: sounds like a lovely place though)

Quote :
The closest thing to hover technology is either Eidoron or Lydronite (the latter of which isn't canonized) Eidoron is nigh immovable (but Lydronite is, but like I said: its not cannonized, even if it were, its really rare). Also, repulsorlift engines are pretty much Star Wars, and you know how scientifically credible they are.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe some enchanted device if it was magic based. Eidoron definitely wouldn't work. And for the repulser lift things, yes it is indeed starwarsish which is not scientifically credible in our world. But look at this (I know its not necicarily the same thing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA So with the fact that there are several worlds connected with felarya, magical, primative, or hightly advanced, perhaps a few have a comparable technology where they somehow figured out how to do that.

Quote :
there's probably not a map
In lue of not having large scale trade between cities, making accurate and reliable maps based of of arial recon and photography can be a viable source of income in addition to doing a bunch of other tasks that Fel-Air could do to turn a profit. Since without this big scale city trading, Fel-Air will need to do several different things to make money.

Quote :
Well there's already travel-craft from off world that take people into felarya for a fee. If you're going to suggest air craft from off world, it's probably a better idea to stick to that. If Negav flat out purchased an aircraft, then we resort back to our previous problems.

The aircraft were never origonally from Felarya, they were always obtained offworld. But of ease to feleryan clients/passangers the aircraft where always stored on felarya. That way they wouldn't have to go offworld to scedual anything and get to the aircraft, then cross over into felerya, then do whatever, cross back over into the offworld place, then cross over once more if they want to stay in Negav/Felarya. Plus communication would be that much easier between the feleryan client and the business since it won't be going through the dimensions (although the suppliers will still be going through the dimensions to their respective worlds).

Quote :

noneofurbussiness wrote:

Well Negav imports a ton of supplies from off world, but the tech is all for the military. Even so, just adding more ascarlin to the off-world trading budget wont cover all our problems.

I'm not sure what you mean here....are you suggesting transporting some of the mined minerals off world to make a profit? But what I meant when mentioning the Edison movie camera was just an example to any naysayers to using patented technology without permission.

Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Also, repulsorlift engines are pretty much Star Wars, and you know how scientifically credible they are.

Time for a pointlessly precise Oldman quibble/nerd out!
I haven't done one of these in a while; I kind of miss them. Smile

The vast majority of the repulsor devices we see in sci-fi are impossible and broken. This is because they violate one or more of the conservation laws and thus would allow the generation of infinite energy. Other sorts of "repulsors" are "allowable", although we don't know of anyway to make them real so they are just theoretical. For example, a repulsor device that emits "negative gravity", using energy at least equivalent to the gravitational (and other energy) potential energy gained, does not violate any of the important conservations laws and thus is "allowable". We don't know how to generate "negative gravity" though, so that sort of repulsor is still theoretically impossible... but theory can change, especially in a fictional world.

Also, constant energy input is not, strictly speaking, required for repulsors. Consider a book sitting on a table. Gravity is pulling it down, and the table is pushing it back up. No energy is used in this situation, because the net force acting on the book is zero. Now consider what happens if we replace the table with a long thin rod, made out of a particle (repulsortorium) that is invisible and interacts strongly only with very dense materials (like neutrinos do). Plate the bottom of the book with lead, and place it on the rod of repulsortorium. The book will sink until the rod touches something rather dense, like bedrock. Because we are made entirely out of low density elements, we can pass through this rod with ease. If the rod is long enough, what we will see is a book floating in mid-air using no energy; while it seems to be violating various laws of physics, it actually isn't. It's basically just a book sitting on a table made out of special material.

Sadly, no known or theorized particles or forces allow for these behaviours, so repulsors probably can't exist in the real world. But in a fantasy world they can, if we are willing to add another particle or force, and if described properly they won't even cause annoyances like like infinite energy exploits or the like.

TL;DR / Summary: While we might want to disallow repulsors for reasons of "setting theme violation", we could also easily include them with few problems.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
lots of stuff

Yes yes thank you. *clears throat* Now where have you been young man?!
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Yes yes thank you. *clears throat* Now where have you been young man?!

I've been around, sometimes more, sometimes less. Just haven't been very talkative.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
noneofurbussiness
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Sorry Its been awile   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Okay I'm back with a response...after like a month away. Sorry I've been busy and I've been procrastinating Its unfortunately kinda long and a mix of old and new things I typed up so hopefully its not too much.

First things First.
Quote :
Time for a pointlessly precise Oldman quibble/nerd out!
I haven't done one of these in a while; I kind of miss them.
Oldman40k2003 Thanks Very Happy Looks like someone is a engineer (or know a lot about physics). And thanks for that input.

Okay now on to my long response, hopefully I covered everything that I wanted to (that wasn't already covered in previous posts). I hope it's not too rant-y and clear enough of an argument. Iits mostly about there being enough demand and money to fund the operation of Fel-Air. That there would be people who would want to use/employ/ invest in Fel-Air for a variety of reasons.

~~~~~~~

Through the view of an explorer or any other human/elf/neko/etc. living in felerya there are several ways to traverse the area, but it can be fit into three types of travel; land, sea and air. As a someone leaving Negav and into the hostile wilds, I could travel by water and probably get killed by a creature from the depths, or I can travel by land in some form or another and still probably get eaten, or I could go for the other option and travel by flight in which I have even more improved survival rates. Naturally I will go with the one that has the highest probability that I’ll make it successfully back and is applicable to the certain situation. Now as stated before, flight has several beneficial aspects to it that the others do not offer, thus flying would be the usual logical conclusion if you have that option available.

You guys bring up the huge issue of the range of the aircraft, and rightly so too! At that size with the only applicable places to fuel up would be either the big cities or at the dimensional gates. Same with any fuel consuming machinery/vehicles on felarya. Now if Fel-Air’s major profits would be from trade between the two cities, this will be hard to do since felerya is much larger than I thought. Assumeing Chicota City is a non-mechanized city due to their isolation from any dimensional gate with industrialized worlds, then any fuel creation there will be very limited. In my mind I see sail ships and all that stuff. Thus Fel-Air could not refill there before turning around, the aircraft would have to fly there and back one the same fuel. Something that would be unreasonable to do. I do not know of a way to resolve this issue unless Fel-Air where to use super expensive high tech aircraft, like the B2 bomber which is worth its own weight in gold and can refuel in flight. That is not something I envisioned Fel-Air to be like, a variety of unique aircraft from all sorts of different worlds, but not where one plane bankrupts the company. If there is some idea that you guys have that solves this I’m all ears.Unless there is a resolve to inter city trading issue, then Fel-Air will need to make money in felarya some other way.
To make money Fel-Air would have to act as a private charter fairing people and such around, my previously secondary way for Fel-Air to make a profit. All throughout felarya people buy/hire things to get them around felarya. The stories of felarya is full of people leaving the city and going into the feleryan jungles for fame, glory, and riches. Either it is to map out felarya, plunder its treasures, study its magic, visit its ruins, prove/test their training, or in general have and adventure exploring. Much like the real life; Emilia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh, Marco polo, Lewis and Clark, the Spanish conquistadors, or any number of explorers of the “new world” and its frontier.

I would like to however know the operational range other vehicles in the felerya universe is. The wiki talks about all sorts of hovercraft, jetbikes, and other exotic vehicles in addition to more traditional ones like simple trucks, and the same is in all the stories I’ve read. BUT none of them ever talk about distances, how far they can go, etc etc. When referring to any other flying/hovering vehicles (As a rule of thumb, the higher the cost to build one, the more expensive the technology) you have to look at how they fly/hover, where to they get the lift. A vehicle that uses its thrust to stay in the air is going to burn more fuel than something that uses wings to produce its lift. Think of a jetpack verses a ultra light; the ultra light can use very little energy to produce lift and fly even though it is bigger and heavier than a jetpack you would see a stuntman use at some event. The jetpack is very limited by fuel usage even though they both carry roughly the same amount of fuel, its because of the different approaches of lift. So my question is how do those other vehicles from the wiki effectively operate in felerya since both are to get from point A to point B and back. I know my car can go a little over 300 miles before running out of gas, so that means they could only go out less than half that distance from the city if they wanted to make it back.

Now assuming full travel between Chicota city and Negav city is out of the question then intercity trade is not in the cards for making money because of the extreme isolation of one another. Then Fel-Air would probably have to rely on being a taxi service for their major profits. Now looking at the wiki, Felaryan express travels between the two dimensional gates as a transit point between worlds and is based outside of felarya, so that works fine for them. AJ’s jetbikes purpose is to travel back and forth around felarya, which is just like any other aircraft. However his jetbikes are much more specialized and focus on the richer people who can afford them according to what I’ve read. That leaves out everybody who wants to fly in felerya but isn’t rich enough to travel by jetbike. His jetbikes are in a very limited market for the upperclass/elite interests, hence the jetbike guild to have greater bargening ppower with wealthy clients. If they dealt with people other than wealthy, they wouldn’t have the guild because they would have very little bargaining power since they already charge less to the non rich to do a job. This is all in the wiki. (Just so we are clear… I like AJ’s jetbike idea and I am not trying to bash it in anyway, unfortunately it is also the best example I can compare my Fel-Air to that is in the wiki)

My Fel-Air would have a larger customer base because they would pamper to the middle class (the poor wouldn’t be able to afford anything in general so they are out of the question for anyone). Now to my understanding Negav is a large city, and is the focal point for anyone going in and out of felarya. Lets face it; an exotic world with magical properties that is essentially the fountain of youth filled with vast riches ready for the takeing; it seems tempting for people to want to go there, even if temporarily. Go there for immortality from age, cure/stop the effects of diseases, or treasure hunt and make yourself set for life. And again from the wiki, it says everyday a variety of treasure hunters, adventurers and the sort come to felerya. So lets Veiw Negav with its Dimensional gate as a comparable city with a international airport hub. Instead of people from other countries, its people from other dimensions. For example lets use New York city and John F. Kennedy International Airport which in 2010, the airport handled 46,514,154 passengers. (Another city comparable to Negav is Tokyo with their Haneda airport with their even more 64,211,074 passengers a year) But most people will not risk the threats of felerya by leaving the city, So lets cut but that into a fraction. Lets go big and divide that by A thousand, that’s still a lot of people! New York too big? Okay then lets do a smaller international airport to represent our equation, How about Boston with their Logan International Airport? That has 28,907,938 passangers a year. Now cut it in a massive fraction so it fits felarya, lets divide it by a thousand as before, and you still get a decient number of passangers that would fit the significantly smaller size of the Fel-Air airport. According to the wiki, if you want to travel in felerya your best chances are to go fast or be stealthy, Fel-Air gives a survivable middle class option if you rather not be riding a slow Noghdong through the forest or by going on foot.

(As I said before Fel-Air is not a huge complex airport like these international Airports I just mentioned. It would be too big and expensive. These airports I mentioned was an attempt so show a simplified flow of peoples in and out of the city through the surrounding area or by the dimensional gate. What I am doing is to show that there would be a large enough demand of people wanting an airservice by giving out some numbers for everyone. Fel-Air wouldn’t be flying millions of passengers a year, but they would have enough to operate with.)

If time is the essence and you’d rather not spend hours by vehicle or a day or two by foot, Fel-Air is a quick option for traveling the short(-ish) jump between Negav and Nekomera.

Many explores in felerya are trying to strike it rich in some form or another. If they can fly most the trip there, trek a short way to where they want to go for the artifacts or whatever, then trek back and get picked up to go back to the safety of the city. That seems like a much more favorable conditions than trekking through the jungle the whole way and it probably has a higher chance of survivability and thus their sought fame and fortune since they are not as exposed nearly as long as otherwise.

If people think there wouldn’t be enough demand of adventures or adequate money from of funding. Lets try another real life example. When America was still being colonized there was an atrocious death rate and people still went to the new world. So many people died from conflict and disease (In felerya there is no disease, so lets say it would be predators eating the people instead). For example the first months in Plymouth about half of the pilgrims died! Not the first years, months! In Jamestown the mortality was incredible, from 1618 till the end of 1621 they lost over three thousand people in just three years! A lot was from disease and such and some were from Indian attacks from a badly eroding relation between the settlers and Natives. For example one surprise attack in March 22 1622 the Powhatans slew 347 Jamestown Settlers! And before Jamestown there was the Roanoke Colony that just simply disappeared with not a survivor to be found! But People STILL came over from Europe to Jamestown. And People still invested in the Joint Stock Companies who settled the new world (transportation over the ocean was expensive and so was building Settlements)! So I don’t see why a risky operation in feleraya wouldn’t still have its own ample outside investment and people wanting to use the company as a employee or client.

So why wouldn’t there be customers for these planes. It is similar to what the Jetbikes do, just this is for the average joe. If there was no demand at all there would be no need for the existence of a pilot guilds of jetbikes at all or other forms of aircraft because there would be not enough clientele to support the operation of the actual aircraft, but clearly there is. Would this concept sit better with you guys if it was a “guild” instead of a “company/corporation”?

So I’ve already answered the issues of not needing high tech expensive tools to work on the aircraft. Just the average tools that would be available to most mechanics and the repair shops. I mean how often does your car break down and need a towing? Not often at all, but since flying is more dangerous when the aircraft break down, they require more scrutiny to make sure their safe. For example: http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/?p=732 http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/?p=732
The joke is, they aren’t something crazy complicated, they’re just like any other machine out there.

The airplanes are armed, but not to the point to kill everything, just mess them up so the predators would rather avoid their weapons sting. I mean how often do you decide you want to mess with a wasp, hornet, or bee? Not often because getting stung hurts!
The lift generators added to the aircraft are just a way to have a “suspension of disbelief” so that these airplanes can land and take off in the small areas that they would be operating in the jungles and such of felerya (assuming they are landing/taking off there instead of just doing a supply airdrop). Think of them as small jet thrusters or some magical device that replicates or produces lift similar to what an autogyro would have. Its just their to help control the airspeed the airplane would have when taking off/landing in smaller spaces, not make it become a vertical aircraft like a helicopter. And its not a big stretch to assume that this would be a possibility open to felerya and its dimensional gates to uncounted other worlds.

Anyways Thanks for your time and I hope this helps put some peoples worries to rest,or at least a little anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felerya Aviation Company   Felerya Aviation Company - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felerya Aviation Company
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: New ideas-
Jump to: