Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Specifics on Illusion Magic

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

Specifics on Illusion Magic Empty
PostSubject: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 pm

The wiki entry on magic doesn't talk about illusion magic, even though Dryads and Vivian are known users. I've been wondering about the specifics of illusion magic and other abilities which affect the mind or psyche of a target (or maybe the caster).
Dryads, for example, are able to hide themselves in plain sight, "Even if you *know* that is a dryad there, if she wishes to remain hidden you will have a hard time distinguishing her from the background." Sounds like there is the possibility of subconscious invisibility, a la Koishi Komeiji of the Touhou Project. Even though your eyes perceive the presence of a person, and that stimulus makes it to the brain, you subconsciously dismiss it as just a part of the background, unless of course the person does something extremely drastic to bring his/her presence to the front of your conscious mind.

I am absolutely not considering making a character with that ability at this time, but I am curious as to whether he/she would be hidden from the Predator Sense that some Predators possess. Would he/she be invisible to the eyes, while the nose and others senses still pick up on prey, or would his/her scent, bioelectric field, and other trackable signals also be hidden?

What about more active illusions? The ability to convince a Predator that she is full, or even that she has already eaten you? What about a violent illusion, like the stomach bursting open and every past meal the predator has ever had crawling out, horrifically partially digested, to exact vengeance on the predator? Vivian's illusions are real if you believe in them, making it possible to drown even without the presence of water, so I would imagine illusions can be painful, and probably hurt more and more as the pain overwhelms your rational mind, creating a hard-to-escape feedback loop.

One character I have been considering has the power of parasitic or forced empathy. In her early days in Felarya, her primary means of survival, outside of hiding of course, would be to forcibly share her fear with the creature attacking her, if sapient (sentient is not quite the right word). Even though she may only be a wee human, the predator fears her in the same way she fears the predator, and, being more accustomed to fear, the human is able to flee while the predator is petrified. As the years go on, and she gains allies, her confidence improves, and she can force her companions to experience the same fierce determination she feels, as well as communicate to an attacker that "I do not fear you. You are an overgrown worm/bird/bush, and We.Will Bury You." Even if the predator has the upper hand, his/her resolve can be shaken, causing missteps that can be his/her undoing.

Though the idea has the potential to be overpowered, I think it would be interesting to see someone using their own fear as a weapon. Felarya is a scary world, so she would have plenty of ammunition. If this idea needs to be split into a separate post from the questions on illusion magic, tell me.

Also, if you have any more information or corrections on how illusion magic functions, especially when used by a predator, post what you know.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Unfortunately, I prefer to keep mechanics of magic relatively vague, or more specifically, when it comes to specific schools of magic. Reason's that it's impossible for everyone here to universally agree that's how illusion or whatever works, compounded by the fact that since Felarya it pretty much an interdimensional hub world. people can make the excuse of his/her mage working with different rules because it's from another world.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jhinx
Helpless prey
Jhinx

PostSubject: Re: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 3:18 am

well I can only mention that the mist elves also uses illusion, but I dunno anything about other kinds of illusion magic...
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 11:45 am

So if the proper term for magician is "illusionist," is the proper term for an illusion illusionist "magician?"
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
TheAssassinGuy
Helpless prey
TheAssassinGuy

PostSubject: Re: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 5:59 am

I dont think the topic needs to be splitted, because its an idea which connects with your question and could or couldn 't end up in something.
I personaly agree with ShadyKnight, there is just no general explenation how illusion works. My character for example forces the shadows to make himself undetectable by any sense.
Sorry i couldn't help you, i hope you find the answer soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jhinx
Helpless prey
Jhinx

PostSubject: Re: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 am

I've had a second thought and I remembered a story (but nothing about felarya), where somebody made you imagine your own death, and because the illusion was so believable, your brain just stopped working ('cause it believed that your body died)...

If that is what you mean with "more active"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Specifics on Illusion Magic   Specifics on Illusion Magic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Specifics on Illusion Magic
Page 1 of 1