Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...

Go down 
+59
Prof.Nekko
Jasconius
French snack
walkingbyself
Jætte_Troll
ravaging vixen
TheLightLost
luke112
alliance
Anime-Junkie
Stabs
Tuc135
Archmage_Bael
Asuroth
timing2
JohnDoe
EliteCreature
FalconJudge
SuperPieGuy9
CauldronBorn24
zelda31
Chris The Great...maybe
codaman
TankHunter678
Reptillian
11cookeaw3
Byakugan01
L'Ryn
Rade
S-Guy
Rythmear
Jibsy0
servomoore
/Fish/
Feign
Sineria.
TheQuantumMechanic
observer88
Sephimink|Kyle
dlausactor6373
Garnet
Daimo
bigman27622
MegaDan5
ZionAtriedes
Oldman40k2003
gwadahunter2222
DorianTheBlind
Mentalguy
Delicious Kevin
Warrior3000
rcs619
Karbo
Raetsu Lord Pichu
GREGOLE
Shady Knight
Pendragon
Malahite
Raveolution
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Now THAT is spam, there.

To be honest, I suppose it all depends on the context. If you're talking advanced civilizations, (assuming lack of Guardian response) of course they could defend themselves, for the most part.

As for the psionics/magic thing... I've been meaning to make a thread in Ideas Discussion that reconciles the two and explains the science behind their coexistence. I was thinking that they'd be very similar in nature, but not exactly so.
I don't see them as similar, but to each their own. They're both pretty much completely open to interpretation, so what it really comes down to is who can write down an explanation first that [x] universe's creator likes.

Hence why I have flooded this room with Chloroform Gas, Zion. See you from the Wiki page.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:37 am

Malahite wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Now THAT is spam, there.

To be honest, I suppose it all depends on the context. If you're talking advanced civilizations, (assuming lack of Guardian response) of course they could defend themselves, for the most part.

As for the psionics/magic thing... I've been meaning to make a thread in Ideas Discussion that reconciles the two and explains the science behind their coexistence. I was thinking that they'd be very similar in nature, but not exactly so.
I don't see them as similar, but to each their own. They're both pretty much completely open to interpretation, so what it really comes down to is who can write down an explanation first that [x] universe's creator likes.

Hence why I have flooded this room with Chloroform Gas, Zion. See you from the Wiki page.
Unfortunately for you, I have trained myself to impervious to knockout gas. Oh... this is new stuff. *konk*

Well, their origins would be quite different, as well as the cause. The effect and method of execution would be somewhat similar, however. According to the Atriedian Model, of course. Sorry, I just love that term.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 am

Malahite wrote:
Troops weapons may be possible, but Gun Emplacements seems unlikely. Why? Because there tends to be a limit, and if you can get rid of the Gun Emplacements that way you could probably teleport inside the city, grab people, and teleport out anyways.
'tis my policy to foresee, prepare for and adapt to such absolutely dire possibilities. Before some Felaryan Fairy forces you to. I would research ways to turn away a Guardian if it wasn't in Karbo's book that they're undefeatable.

And in accordance with my doctrine Very Happy ... the use of Tesla-based technology. As soon as a fairy shows up in town square to snatch someone, computers - which are faster than her - detect her DNA and fire off a tesla burst. This can happen in an instant. I believe we can scan DNA now, and tesla coil type tech has been around about as long as we've had electricity. We just haven't dared to make a good tele-zapper.

Enough of an electric current flowing through a giant pred's nervous system will stop them. Dead. If, of course, you've got a few pebble bed nuclear reactors in the region, you can zap several preds a day.

How many watts of power do you need to kill a 120 foot giant/ess - or, at least, bring them down long enough for the local police to put a pred-busting shell into their skull? Then of course there is the issue of having a power source.

Malahite wrote:
Someone who waits until the enemy is in LoS to cast defensive spells is not using them right.
I was talking about offensive spells, like teleporting phosphorous grenades back into human defenders' faces. They have to see the grenade, right?

Malahite wrote:
Quote :
As for using mages to help out, heck, why not put out an APB for Felarya's Psionicists? A teeker would command top pay. See a pred, physically scramble their brain matter or squish their heart, fight over. Yeah, top pay indeed.
Psykers are basically an Out-of-Context problem when dealing with Felaryans. Technology they're familiar with. Magic they're familiar with. Psionics? Not so much. "Psionics" that are magic in disguise, maybe, but not true Psionics.
I was talking about teekers as in more of the garden variety (true) psionicists, not the Psykers (I'm assuming you're speaking of Warhammer 40k?). Telekinetics is an extremely deadly, assassin-level skill. I'd also hire telepaths to spot incoming alien thoughts, avoid tapping too deeply into their minds, but to relay the info to my teekers, who would squish brain cells.

You might also need a cleric or someone who can bless bullets. You know, for the odd canopy fairy, storm sprite, etc.

Hmmm. I wonder how canopy fairy belly warp traps work...
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Now THAT is spam, there.

IIRC:

Psionics is a mental thing. Magic is a nature based thing.

That's how the science of psionics vs magic appears to me. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot more to it.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Raveolution wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Now THAT is spam, there.

IIRC:

That's how the science of psionics vs magic appears to me. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot more to it.
Well, yes. In my model, mages use more ambient energy form the physical world, whereas psionicists would tap into energy from a more "mental" realm (The Immaterium/Warp?). Also, the methods of execution would differ. Of course, there would be certain schools of magic or psi where the two lines blend a little. I think, however, that psionics may not be completely genetic. After all, one of my characters, Leif, is a natural psychic, but Zion learned psionic-like skills (though they more resemble "magic") through a scientific understanding of the methods behind psionics.

As for the telekinesis problem... Leif is telekinetic. Zion also has limited TK powers. However, neither of them have done anyhting like crush a pred's heart in their chest, or pinch an artery. I didn't want to overpower them, really. I explained it by saying that such feats take a little more concentration, and focus, something a pitched battle won't allow too much of. Both characters prefer to just send "waves" of TK force at their enemies, or occasionally do some throwing.

If you look at the science behind it, that makes sense, I think. In order to lift an object, you would have to envelop it in force (at least, in my interpretation of TK). In order to crush an unseen heart, you'd not only need to seriously direct the force, you would need to direct the force "past" the barriers between you and the target.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 6:03 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Now THAT is spam, there.

IIRC:

Well, yes. In my model, mages use more ambient energy form the physical world, whereas psionicists would tap into energy from a more "mental" realm (The Immaterium/Warp?). Also, the methods of execution would differ. Of course, there would be certain schools of magic or psi where the two lines blend a little. I think, however, that psionics may not be completely genetic. After all, one of my characters, Leif, is a natural psychic, but Zion learned psionic-like skills (though they more resemble "magic") through a scientific understanding of the methods behind psionics.

As for the telekinesis problem... Leif is telekinetic. Zion also has limited TK powers. However, neither of them have done anyhting like crush a pred's heart in their chest, or pinch an artery. I didn't want to overpower them, really. I explained it by saying that such feats take a little more concentration, and focus, something a pitched battle won't allow too much of. Both characters prefer to just send "waves" of TK force at their enemies, or occasionally do some throwing.

If you look at the science behind it, that makes sense, I think. In order to lift an object, you would have to envelop it in force (at least, in my interpretation of TK). In order to crush an unseen heart, you'd not only need to seriously direct the force, you would need to direct the force "past" the barriers between you and the target.
Wow. With all those limitations, I'd just shoot for the eyes. Through the eyes. To the brain. The eyes are a weak spot in most preds and a good sniper can hit that.

By your rules, what does it take to make a fireball?

With The Force (Star Wars), a well trained Jedi doesn't take mass into account (See the jerk who brought down a Star Destroyer). Mass is only an issue in the mind. I kind of like that approach (assuming one likens the Force to Psi).
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Actually, (it's either the novel or the comic of "Force Unleashed",) Vader's Apprentice only guided the fall of a damaged Star Destroyer. He didn't actually pull it down. Which is the canon I'm going to stick with unless over-ruled, as otherwise he's the 2nd most powerful force user we've ever seen (second only to Palpatine himself).

Furthermore, "The Force" and "Psykers (40K)" are not 'true' psionics (in my mind) but instead something in between Magic and Psionics. Something like "The Master" from Fallout, Sylar from Heroes, stuff like those are what I consider 'real' Psionics. But again it's all your own perspective as to which counts, and the Wiki will be determined by who has a perspective Karbo likes / feels fits the realm most.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 am

Malahite has a point. Every canon has its own view of psionics.

I think that mass should count, though. After all, according to Einstein, mass is a form of energy. And pretty much all views of magic/psi take energy into account.

And the reason I imposed such limitations of Leif's TK is because I didn't want him being like fricking Phoenix from X-Men (especially the X-3 movie version). Talk about godmoding. While he can, theoretically, rip apart a person's molecules, it would take concentration and energy. Of course, Felarya's "soil" seems to energize any creature...
Back to top Go down
Chris The Great...maybe
Helpless prey
Chris The Great...maybe

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 2:45 am

There is always a way to take down a predator it does not matter how big it is or strong it is there is a way to take them down, yeah there are things that god mode and that's BS but there isn't much you can do about it right. (that's the reason I'm not much of a fan for DBZ & X-men).
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 am

(this is just a joke...)

ok, my idea on a good defense... eat lots of beans... XD
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 am

ok last time I checked darth vader is the most powerful force palpatine is eqaul to yoda in force potentcy but palpatine said in episode 3 that darth vader would be more powerful than both of them
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 am

Yet his son bested him.
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 12:19 pm

his son is eqaully as powerful as darth vader but stronger because vader gave into his greed luke didn't
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:06 am

Malahite wrote:
Actually, (it's either the novel or the comic of "Force Unleashed",) Vader's Apprentice only guided the fall of a damaged Star Destroyer. He didn't actually pull it down. Which is the canon I'm going to stick with unless over-ruled, as otherwise he's the 2nd most powerful force user we've ever seen (second only to Palpatine himself).

Furthermore, "The Force" and "Psykers (40K)" are not 'true' psionics (in my mind) but instead something in between Magic and Psionics. Something like "The Master" from Fallout, Sylar from Heroes, stuff like those are what I consider 'real' Psionics. But again it's all your own perspective as to which counts, and the Wiki will be determined by who has a perspective Karbo likes / feels fits the realm most.
In the most difficult canonical interpretation of psi, I just don't see how it can be difficult for a TKer to quickly push a giant eye into the brain and then squish some noodle within. Messing with the an should be enough to distract even a Crimson Maiden and stop their momentum. It could very well be the only short term defense against, say, a diamond naga.

On an unrelated note... does anyone know how to belly warp works? Does it work like the teleportation spell used by Felaryan angels?
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:07 pm

So basically this is a thread to discuss tactics on defending yourself in felarya right?

Sean Okotami wrote:
Everything: Death Star, even to itself.

Impossible. The guardians (with GOD like powers) of Felarya would oblitirate the Death Star easily. And also here's a good defense tactic. This one applies to humans in the face of a pred.

This is simple. Run as fast as possible away from the pred. If you're caught then you're bound to get eaten. But there is a way to survive it. First cling to the toungue and eventually because of the discomfort they'll cough their prey up allowing for a chance to escape. If it's not possible and the prey gets swallowed then not all is lost. Oxygen isn't an issue because it takes oxygen to digest/absorb food. And gross as it sounds the walls of the stomach are covered in a mucus which prevents the stomach from digesting itself. Just cover yourself in the mucus and you'll be safe. Then eventually because of discomfort the pred will barf the prey up except in the case of dryads. Otherwise just wait and periodically recover yourself in the mucus and eventually you'll be free (I won't go into details).
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:39 pm

SuperPieGuy9 wrote:
This is simple. Run as fast as possible away from the pred. If you're caught then you're bound to get eaten. But there is a way to survive it. First cling to the toungue and eventually because of the discomfort they'll cough their prey up allowing for a chance to escape.

You really won't be able to grab onto anything due to the slippery saliva.

Quote :
If it's not possible and the prey gets swallowed then not all is lost. Oxygen isn't an issue because it takes oxygen to digest/absorb food. And gross as it sounds the walls of the stomach are covered in a mucus which prevents the stomach from digesting itself. Just cover yourself in the mucus and you'll be safe. Then eventually because of discomfort the pred will barf the prey up except in the case of dryads. Otherwise just wait and periodically recover yourself in the mucus and eventually you'll be free (I won't go into details).

You'll die of asphyxiation, succumbing to an unbreathable atmosphere due to rising volumes of acidic fumes, regardless of oxygen content, or if you do survive for a time, you will be killed by the digestion process, broken down into nutrients by acids and enzymes in the churning hell that is a stomach. You are not going to survive by relying on anything that naturally occurs within a stomach. I don't think Macgyver can even do that.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 7:19 pm

SuperPieGuy9 wrote:
This is simple. Run as fast as possible away from the pred.
This isn't a horror movie: If you're in a group of people who can make use of the defensive tactics stated, you're not going to throw them all away because "Oh shit it's big maybe I can outrun my friends long enough that it gets full". This is about on-par with a modern military unit basing their tactics solely on the basis of "well if I keep throwing enough squads at the tank soon it'll get disabled and we can run around it".

Quote :
If you're caught then you're bound to get eaten.
This much is kind of a given.

Quote :
But there is a way to survive it.
Jab a needle full of oxygen into some point in their body and squeeze away? Cast something like Wraithform and enjoy your ethereal-ness?
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 5:43 pm

Er, teleportation devices? Like the Star-trek ones, the ones that DON'T relay on magic, with the beaming station being a few miles away underground. That device seems to work underground anyways, so why not in a stomach?
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:14 pm

FalconJudge wrote:
Er, teleportation devices? Like the Star-trek ones,
Star Trek's notorious for having horrible teleportation systems that can be messed up by bad storm planet-side, and plenty of teleportation-blocking materials. Of course, it's also known for being able to teleport en-masse and leave behind certain things: Used competently, it would be better as a weapon system than means of transport / escape (Oh look, we got a full grove of Fairy wings sitting here).
Quote :
the ones that DON'T relay on magic,
If you don't mind me asking, why? Most Predators (most unnamed ones, anyways) don't have magic-resistant gullets, and even so magic can be cast before being eaten. Sure, tech is more reliable in that if the technobabble isn't messed up by a Storm Sprite it's not going to be stopped, but the magic should still be useable.
Quote :
with the beaming station being a few miles away underground. That device seems to work underground anyways, so why not in a stomach?
Again, ST has a shoddy reputation with teleporters. lol! "We can't get him out of Crisis' stomach, sir." "Why not?" "It looks of rain."
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:19 am

/Fish/ wrote:
SuperPieGuy9 wrote:
This is simple. Run as fast as possible away from the pred. If you're caught then you're bound to get eaten. But there is a way to survive it. First cling to the toungue and eventually because of the discomfort they'll cough their prey up allowing for a chance to escape.

You really won't be able to grab onto anything due to the slippery saliva.
But apparently there is a thing about the gag reflex that causes you to cough back up anything that squirms.

It's anyone's guess, though, how this applies to Preds.

Quote :
You'll die of asphyxiation, succumbing to an unbreathable atmosphere due to rising volumes of acidic fumes, regardless of oxygen content, or if you do survive for a time, you will be killed by the digestion process, broken down into nutrients by acids and enzymes in the churning hell that is a stomach. You are not going to survive by relying on anything that naturally occurs within a stomach. I don't think Macgyver can even do that.
And you haven't even mentioned the danger of landing in a storm sprite's belly.

BTW does anyone know how the canopy fairy's belly warp spell actually works? It's basically described as a magic teleportation trap, but what if the fairy is not in her material form? Can you throw explosives into the trap if you spot it? What if she's 3 inches tall and you're 6 feet tall?
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:14 am

New idea to get mercilessly shot down Smile :

100 foot genetic superbred loyal bodyguard. As in land whale with chiton, claws, and a whole lotta love. I mean, with all the shaper bioweapons, couldn't magic-genetic engineering work for other cultures, to a (much) lesser extent (such as taking years and years to actually create said bodyguard)? Sure, it wouldn't be readily available to the common edible dolt, but a few select people could use this method, right? Plenty to eat in the jungle, and all...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 am

two words assgard beaming is far more advance than star trek and is harder to interfere with
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Breed giant pigs and teach the Predators how to use a frying pan?
Back to top Go down
EliteCreature
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
EliteCreature

PostSubject: lol   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 3:15 pm

lol...to the idea above: what more is there to say?
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Malahite wrote:
Breed giant pigs and teach the Predators how to use a frying pan?

Get some giant chickens to go with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next