Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Inus

Go down 
+7
Archmage_Bael
jedi-explorer
CauldronBorn24
ravaging vixen
DarkOne
Nyaha
Amaroq
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Inus are currently known only as a subspecies, however, they are just as common as Nekos on felaryan ground and have become more popular in the past, which is why I and some other people though of turning Inus into a proper own species instead of just a subspecies. This is why a moderator and some people of the community have asked me to rewrite the Inu article in order to give it a proper representation. In other words, this has been done by public and moderatory request, just to make that clear.

I purposely refrained from explicitely pointing out differences between Inus and Nekos and kept with differences between humans and Inus, since I did not want the reader to be required to read the Neko article first to fully understand this one. The second reason is that I did feel like it would be poor writing to compare Inus with nekos, since that would imply something like "Inus are like Nekos but with the following differences". However, I decided to write them as a "standalone" article that can be read without ever having heard about nekos, such as nekos are a standalone article as well, which should pay them the justice they deserve as a "full" species instead of a subspecies.

So, here it goes, the new Inu Article made for the wiki. Please note that english is not my primary language, so proofreading would be appreciated.

Inus

Biological Heritage:
Inus are humanoid creatures which resemble humans, however, they do also possess certain properties usually found in canine species, mostly shown as a human sporting canine ears and a large, fluffy tail.

The most common Inu is of average human size, a little taller due to their perky ears that are about the size of a hand's fist. They also sport tails that extend from their spine, slightly above their bottom, which are usually about the length of their arms, and thus even when pointed straight down, just barely touch the ground with the tips of their rather long fur. However, there are also smaller breeds, down to the size of tinies, but there have also been reports of giant Inus, easily capable of swallowing a grown man whole. Besides their size, changes in appearances can be seen in form of long, sloppy ears or really short tails. Due to their wide variety, these changes are usually just the tip of the iceberg as in some regions, anthropomorphic Inu's, fully covered in fur and with an elongated muzzle, complete with paws instead of feet are a not necessarily a common sight but they may be seen every now and then.

Some people consider Inus to be little more than Nekos with their cat elements replaced by a dog's genetic material, but those assumptions are not quite correct. In fact, besides the visible similarity, Inus and Nekos differ greatly from each other, up to the point where fertility between them is an extremely rare occurrence and even the possibility of Inus actually having the potential to be fertile with the neko race is considered to be a peculiar proof of the Inu's capabilities of adaption.
Inus are known for having a very wide variance within their genetic pool, causing many different subspecies to form over the generations, which are often referred to as different breeds. As such, an Inu's appearance may vary greatly from one or another.
Even though they are usually associated with dogs in specific, since these are the most common representatives of the Inu species, they are truly adapted to being of canine heritage in general, hence why many scientists consider Dog-Demis, Wolf-Demis and Jackal-Demis to be just other subspecies of the Inu race. Since Vulpines are a subspecies of Canines as well, there is a hard fought discussion between scientists about the familiar relation between Kitsunes and Inus as well, with good arguments on both sides.

Biological Qualities:
Aside from their looks, an Inus senses usually differ from humans as well. Inus are known to be much more susceptible to sounds, capable of hearing frequencies of up to 50.000 Hz, compared to the 20.000 Hz a human is able to hear, and picking up lower volumes than the human ear. However, this also comes at the price for being vulnerable to extreme noise and ultrasound. Depending on the actual shape of their ears, Inus are usually more limited in how well they can actually pick up sounds from a certain direction or picking up sounds from the immediate vicinity.
Their ability to smell differs from breed to breed, in general it can be said that Inus are better at sensing scents with their nose though. Their improved sense of smell usually also affects their sense of taste, causing some Inu's to be predestinated gourmets.
Lastly, there is also their sense of vision. In many breeds, an Inu's eyes are often less capable of picking up small details, yet they are very acute to detecting movement as well as being able to see in less illuminated surroundings. Like other canines their vision drifts into the near ultra violet spectrum, this results in red/green colour blindness; something that Inu's have been mocked for, especially when in the green (or red) jungles of Felarya. However their eyes can detect and accurately identify a moving object from almost a kilometer away, a vital ability to survive and flourish in the jungle. The size of an Inu's pupils is also much larger than that of a human's, while this makes Inu's naturals at playing on the 'big puppy dog eyes' it is a defining feature in their ability to seen in low light environments. This is further aided by the composition of their eyes at the cellular and molecular level. Even though Inu's lack the perfected night vision of other races, they possess extremely well rounded vision for both night and day.

Other notable differences are an Inu's naturally high endurance, as their blood circulatory system appears to be a little more efficient to human standards. An Inu is easily capable of outrunning other beings of similar size, and even while they are not the fastest runners, tribal packs often chase down their prey until it's too exhausted to flee or fight back anymore.
However, they often lack the dexterity of doing very fine and detailed work. Whether this is directly linked to their slight disability of seeing tiny things or not remains unclear, but Inu's naturally have a hard time working at things where really precise movements are needed, so jobs in hospitals or as a clock manufacturer are naturally hard for them to obtain. It requires an Inu a lot of additional training to get rid of that disadvantage, however, in everyday life, this lack of high-detail dexterity rarely shows since they can usually overcome most normal dexterity based challenges such as using a gun or driving a car with the same efficiency as a human.
Another issue worth mentioning is their digestion systems inability to properly processing grapes, raisin and theobromine, which is commonly found in chocolate, tea and cola. Unlike common beliefs, Inus are not the only race affected by this physical inability to process these materials, however, their bodies react to far smaller amounts of toxication that that of a Neko, in example.
While small amounts usually are not much of a threat, consumption of larger doses can result in kidney failure and thus cause a potentially lethal threat. Bitter Chocolate takes a special place in this, as it's concentration of theobromine is so large that even a tiny sample can prove deadly. This particular threat has been dug deep into overall Inu culture and as of today, throwing such a thing as a chocolate chip muffin at an Inu is set to be equal to a declaration of war to the death. In Inu-slang, this particular meal has crudely been nicknamed "Death Muffin" and its concept can be seen in a variety of lesser threats and insults.

Social Behaviour
Inus are very social beings, much more so than other Demi-species. They often form large packs, usually consisting of family members, but also including people they hold close. They are more open natured than some other cultures and even would be willing to accept other species as pack members, as long as they grow attached to them, either by personal preference or accustomization. A pack is usually formed of 2 to 40 beings, but there have been sights of much larger communities. The Huoari village south of the Ascarlin mountains is known to be a single pack of more than a hundred members and including no less than 3 different species.
A pack is usually led  in a strict hierarchy with one Alpha at the top, where both Alpha-males and Alpha-females can be present. Depending on the pack, the rest of the pack members are considered equal or placed on a ladder which measures the individuals usefulness to the overall community. Unlike other communities with a single member at the top, the position of an Alpha is usually of special importance and they are expected to go even more lengths for their pack than any other member. An Alpha always strives for the consent of all members, since they can easily be overthrown if they do not seem to be worthy anymore. Fights for dominance remain rare though, because regardless of its hierarchic structure, a pack stays together most of the time and develops an invisible, instinctive bond between each individual. While it is not clear whether it's a biological, chemical, telepathic or even magical feat, it has been proven that that connection is there, allowing for different members of the same pack to display an astounding amount of coordination, which especially shows in their hunting potential. However, once cut off from their pack, an Inu usually misses that bond and becomes easier affected by solitude and loneliness than other species that lack this kind of bond. When asked, an Inu will often try to compare their feelings to the ones many human people experience in a relationship between lovers or mother and child where the condition of one person can be sensed by the other over distances.
The strength of this bond differs greatly from individual to individual though, and it does not appear to be influenced by breed or subspecies. There are, in fact, many Inus that completely lack that kind of instinct and are often found as going through life as lone wolves.
Those who do possess this mental connection, however, will, once separated from their pack, often try to either find their way back to it, or try to form a replacement relationship, usually in the form of extremely deep bonds, or simply by forming a new family. In many Inu breeds, this social behaviour can almost be considered to be hardcoded into their DNA, which causes them to be extremely loyal and caring partners that, once caring for someone, would often literally fight to the death to protect them, simply because it's their nature to do so, causing Inus to not only be loving, yet very possessive partners, but also fearsome warriors in battle as they will not give in for as long as one of them is still in danger. However, this has also caused entire packs to be eliminated by threats they could impossibly overcome. Some giant predators have even began nicknaming Inu packs with rather disturbing phrases such as "All you can eat!" or "Catch one, get ten free!".

Another quirk prominent to Inus is their habit of subconsciously communicate their feelings through the body language expected from a canine. While it allows them to get a much better understanding of the feelings of their kinsmen, thus aiding in forming the aforementioned deep bond between them, it makes Inus terrible liars and horrific politicians and diplomats. One can easily read their condition, if looking for the proper signs and thus use their emotions to their own advantage, such as seeing whether they managed to induce fear, sorrow, anger or joy through the different possible combinations of ear- and tailpositions.

Hunting occurs in packs or small groups, depending on availability of hunters and the prey in question. Inus are extremely adaptable and can be seen hunting prey much smaller or larger than them. But not only their prey can be easily accustomed, Inu's are also seen in the widest variety of hunting methods. Since magic is less prominent in Inus than in some other races, there are some Inus who are able to utilize it, while the magic-proficient Inu population appears to be bigger on Felarya than on other worlds due to it's default magical nature. More often though, Inu's will rely on their own physical attributes or on technology, and the jungles have seen both tribal packs chasing down their prey with claws and teeth as well as fully mechanized packs who charge at giant predators , firing heavy weapons and missile launchers from the hatches of tanks or armored vehicles.

As for the picture for the article, I would suggest using this one:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/117/a/0/chased_by_xxamaroqxx-d7g75nu.png
Dalia, the Inu enchantress. Picture by xXAmaroqXx and used with artist's permission.

Last edited by Amaroq on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:31 pm

I, for one, complete support this movement, and I think Amaroq's done a very nice job writing this. I wholeheartedly believe that, if a race is, at it's core, completely unrelated to any other race, it should be treated as it's own race, not a subspecies.

I do have a few minor criticisms, though:

Quote :
While they lack the night vision of other races, the fact that their vision spectrum is slightly shifted to the ultraviolet bandwith.

This sentence is incomplete. There either needs to be something related to the fact about their vision spectrum to finish this sentence, or the wording should be changed to ", the fact is that their vision...".

Quote :
but Inu's naturally have a hard time working in hospitals or as a clock manufacturer.

Two things here. One, there shouldn't be an apostrophe on "Inu's". Two, I think, to the literal minded, the examples are too specific. I suggest changing the wording to "working jobs like clock manufacturers or jobs in hospitals".
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 4:52 pm

I too agree that Inus should be treated as it's own race. Never really understood why it was a subrace to begin with. There really shoulden't be a fear that they would be 'too simular to Nekos' given that dogs are very different from cats and therefore one would assume an Inus would behave very differently from a Neko.

Not sure about the Tinie sized versions though, I always got the impression that Karbo always intended to keep the inch sized creatures to a small minority (it's really just Tomthumbs and Tinies with rodent or insect like characterstics) So there might be a chance he will ask you to change that. But then again I could be wrong.

But outside of that I think you've done a pretty decent job.

Here's some proof-reading corrections by the way.

Quote :
However, they do also posess certain properties usually found in canine species,

Possess

Quote :
Inus and Nekos differ greatly from each other, up to the point where fertility between them is an extremely rare occurence and even the possibility of Inus actually having the potential to be fertile with the neko race is considered to be a peculiar proof of the Inu's capabilities of adaption.

occurrence

Quote :
Inus are known to be much more suspectible to sounds,

susceptible

Quote :
While they lack the night vision of other races, the fact that their vision spectrum is slightly shifted to the ultraviolet bandwith.

Bandwidth

Quote :
Other notable differences are an Inu's naturally high endurance, as their blood curculatory system appears to be a little more efficient to human standards.

circulatory

Quote :
either by personal preference or accustomisation.

accustomization

Quote :
Depending on the pack, the rest of the pack members is considered equal

are

Quote :
Or placed on a ladder which measures the indivduals usefulness to the overall community.

individuals

Quote :
Unlike other communities with a single member at the top, the position of a Alpha is usually of special importance and they are expected to go even more lengths for their pack than any other member.

an

Quote :
While it is not clear whether it's a biological, chemical, telepatic or even magical feat,

telepathic

Quote :
which especcially shows in their hunting potential.

especially

Quote :
Those who do posess this mental connection, however, will, once separated from their pack, often try to either find their way back to it,

possess

Quote :
it makes Inus terrible liars and horrific politicans and diplomats.

politicians

Quote :
Hunting occurs in packs or small groups, depending on avaiability of hunters and the prey in question

availability
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 2:14 am

Alrighty, now It's my turn. To begin with, I am 'that mod' in question. So when i read all this I brightened up like a Christmas tree at a Texan style party (Much Bang~bang!). Was really delighted with the endgame of it. It wasn't so long that it was dull but had that much more detail of the race that it filled in most the questions I would have a gander about, answered very appropriately. What I also really like about this article and I don't know if you did this on purpose but you made it sound like it was coming from a felaryan physiology scientist. Pretty immersive and creative I must say.

One question I have is, what would they be like in large communities (1000-15'000 pop.) Would that Alpha mentality still be a big aspect, but in terms like "Cheif Alpha lead" and then "2nd cheif alpha" Respectively and/or would it take that into a modern government stance. I can just see them forming very large communities.

Amaroq wrote:
However, they often lack the dexterity of doing very fine and detailed work. Whether this is directly linked to their slight disability of seeing tiny things or not remains unclear, but Inu's naturally have a hard time working in hospitals or as a clock manufacturer.

I would also make that a variable...Irl i seen Dogs do pretty amazing thing with their paws and legs that you wouldn't believe. So in a sense i would say that they are initially low at dexterity but that they can be a work horse at it given experience or something like that. If not so i'm fine with what's said also.

Amaroq wrote:
More often though, Inu's will rely on their own physical attributes or on technology, and the jungles have seen both tribal packs chasing down their prey with claws and teeth as well as fully mechanized packs who charge at giant predators , firing heavy weapons and missile launchers from the hatches of tanks or armored vehicles.

They sound like they would be good at being intuitive and scrappy (immediate improvisation) magical or not depending on their situation. Meaning they can get by with what they have than most other races naturally, wouldn't you agree? As dexterous as they might not be, I can see them coming up with pretty convoluted concepts when it comes to hunting/social aspects and making them good inventors almost second nature. Being very social and listening to people also help out with that impression.

That's all I have for question and suggestions. I'll keep on thinking more things with them but keep on trucking! Smile
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:21 am

thanks for the feedback so far, keep that up!

- I edited all the grammar errors you people mentioned.

- I changed the lack of dexterity slightly as suggested and made it a trait that can be trained by Inus, in order to get rid of it.

- There can easily be tiny sized Inus. As we discussed in the chat, there have been Human sized Neeras before, so why not show tiny Inus as well. Of course, these are either extremely rare, or extremely well hidden...

- I have to admit that I did not have giant populations in mind when writing most of this, however, the basic principle still appears to be able to be applied; there will be a hierarchic system with one alpha on top, and depending on the pack in question, the rest of the pack will either be considered equal or be ranked depending on their overall use for the tribe. THis is broad enough for people to either see it like a dictatorship of 1 single being or a large administratory group that takes care of everything. Naturally, larger packs will require the Alpha to split some work, since at some point the pack will become too large for a single person to handle. There might even be concepts of packs whose members are packs as well, each with their own Alpha and followership.

- When writing this article I tried to make it sound like reading a real wikipedia article. I went ahead and did some research on the overall data, but also looked at how real wikipedia entries were written and tired to adapt that style to my work. So yes, it has a slight scientific touch to it, but a real scientist would probably have used more specific terms which normal people are unable to read. ^^
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 am

I suppose I have advantage of being able to read over this after it had been edited. Overall I think the article is very well put together; I really like the in-depth explanation of the Inu's social structure and behavior.

Below are are few things that caught my eye:

Amaroq wrote:
While they lack the night vision of other races, the fact that their vision spectrum is slightly shifted to the ultraviolet bandwidth helps them greatly at seeing their surroundings in dark environments, as long as there is a sufficient amount of residual light left.

The ability to see more into the UV spectrum won't help with night vision per-say, rather the fact dogs have larger pupils and are thus able to absorb more light along with a higher density of rods in the fovea and a tapetum lucidum. The tapetum acts as a mirror behind the retina, allowing light to be deflected back to the photoreceptors.

Amaroq wrote:
While small amounts usually are not much of a threat, consumption of larger doses can result in kidney failure and thus cause a potentially lethal threat. Bitter Chocolate takes a special place in this, as it's concentration of theobromine is so large that even a tiny sample can prove deadly. This particular threat has been dug deep into overall Inu culture and as of today, throwing such a thing as a chocolate chip muffin at an Inu is set to be equal to a declaration of war to the death. In Inu-slang, this particular meal has crudely been nicknamed "Death Muffin" and its concept can be seen in a variety of lesser threats and insults.

Ah yes the whole cholocate intolerance, having own a small dog that ate a whole chocolate Easter Egg and was fine, I can say that it seems to depend on the individual dog, even if it is a common trait. However the fact you've worked it son well into their culture adds a lot of flavour, especially the 'death muffin' Smile Though on a side note, one should ask hoe common cocoa is on Felarya?

Amaroq wrote:
Another quirk prominent to Inus is their habit of subconsciously communicate their feelings through body language. While it allows them to get a much better understanding of the feelings of their kinsmen, thus aiding in forming the aforementioned deep bond between them, it makes Inus terrible liars and horrific politicians and diplomats. One can easily read their condition, if looking for the proper signs and thus use their emotions to their own advantage, such as seeing whether they managed to induce fear, sorrow, anger or joy.

At least an Inu would be an honest politician XD

Amaroq wrote:
More often though, Inu's will rely on their own physical attributes or on technology, and the jungles have seen both tribal packs chasing down their prey with claws and teeth as well as fully mechanized packs who charge at giant predators , firing heavy weapons and missile launchers from the hatches of tanks or armored vehicles.

Tanks and amoured vehicles... That's a tough one as they would require a large logistical footprint even if they are brought here or scavenged from another world/race. If they are indigenous then that footprint would be even larger as it would require a set industry base to build them. I'm just not sure if this is suitable; as you said Inus had difficulty with finite tasks which would make them unsuited for the basic engineering and repair work required to keep the machines and their weapons running, let alone building them.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 9:34 am

CauldronBorn24 wrote:

The ability to see more into the UV spectrum won't help with night vision per-say, rather the fact dogs have larger pupils and are thus able to absorb more light along with a higher density of rods in the fovea and a tapetum lucidum. The tapetum acts as a mirror behind the retina, allowing light to be deflected back to the photoreceptors.

You mixed up Dogs and cats here. I got the Info directly from a biology seminar in my university and wikipedia say as well that dogs do not have larger pupils but a different array of receptors that allow them to see further into the ultraviolet spectrum. Since low level light still contains a lot of UV, they can see better there than a human who is more focused on seeing details and things in a far away distance. YOu might want to check your information source there because as far as I can tell, its wrong.

CauldronBorn24 wrote:

Ah yes the whole cholocate intolerance, having own a small dog that ate a whole chocolate Easter Egg and was fine, I can say that it seems to depend on the individual dog, even if it is a common trait. However the fact you've worked it son well into their culture adds a lot of flavour, especially the 'death muffin' :)Though on a side note, one should ask hoe common cocoa is on Felarya?

First, this isnt entirely my idea, as its already in the current Inu article and people liked that detail, so I chose to keep it, however, I worked on te background a little more. And as said in the article, its about specific doses. a dog wont die from a simple chocolate egg, but you shouldnt feed them a whole 100g pack. Tolerance of course depends on the KIND of chocolate, bitter chocolate is deadlier to dogs than lets say milk chocolate or white chocolate because of its much higher concentration of theobromine.
Also, I made clear its NOT the chocolate but the theobromine that is deadly for the dog in question.

CauldronBorn24 wrote:
Tanks and amoured vehicles... That's a tough one as they would require a large logistical footprint even if they are brought here or scavenged from another world/race. If they are indigenous then that footprint would be even larger as it would require a set industry base to build them. I'm just not sure if this is suitable; as you said Inus had difficulty with finite tasks which would make them unsuited for the basic engineering and repair work required to keep the machines and their weapons running, let alone building them.

I dont see a problem with that. Why would Inus have less access to vehicles than other races? We shouldn't forget that Felarya is not a fantasy world per se, but a crossover world. There are laser rifles, jetbikes, tanks, all kind of weird stuff and a steady supply of people and wares from different worlds. There should be no problem in obtaining these things if money isnt an issue.
Also, I dont know if you ever saw a tank, but those things are just as huge as the equipment to repair them with. ^^ Inus are not completely hopeless with fine things, they just have troubles on low scale manufacturing.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:15 am

Amaroq wrote:
You mixed up Dogs and cats here. I got the Info directly from a biology seminar in my university and wikipedia say as well that dogs do not have larger pupils but a different array of receptors that allow them to see further into the ultraviolet spectrum. Since low level light still contains a lot of UV, they can see better there than a human who is more focused on seeing details and things in a far away distance. YOu might want to check your information source there because as far as I can tell, its wrong.

Nope, the info I got was from wikipedia too, and nothing I saw related to their vision in low light conditions related to their ability to see into the UV spectrum...

From wikipedia:
"As crepuscular hunters, dogs often rely on their vision in low light situations: They have very large pupils, a high density of rods in the fovea, an increased flicker rate, and a tapetum lucidum.[124] The tapetum is a reflective surface behind the retina that reflects light to give the photoreceptors a second chance to catch the photons. There is also a relationship between body size and overall diameter of the eye. A range of 9.5 and 11.6 mm can be found between various breeds of dogs. This 20% variance can be substantial and is associated as an adaptation toward superior night vision."

Anyway what is the source of the low level light? As any biological form of night vision will be passive it will need a source. IR or NIR works as the residual or naturally generated heat of objects acts as a source (background radiation). Ultraviolet is a high energy wavelength it takes a lot of energy to generate, it naturally occurs from sunlight given that stars are open nuclear fusion reactors and can easily generate that kind of power (It can be found in starlight too) Also take into account that much of Felarya is covered in thick foliage, limiting the light emissions from stars etc.

Amaroq wrote:
First, this isnt entirely my idea, as its already in the current Inu article and people liked that detail, so I chose to keep it, however, I worked on te background a little more. And as said in the article, its about specific doses. a dog wont die from a simple chocolate egg, but you shouldnt feed them a whole 100g pack. Tolerance of course depends on the KIND of chocolate, bitter chocolate is deadlier to dogs than lets say milk chocolate or white chocolate because of its much higher concentration of theobromine.
Also, I made clear its NOT the chocolate but the theobromine that is deadly for the dog in question.

The chocolate egg my god ate was more and 100 grams, anyway I will agree with you.

Amaroq wrote:

I dont see a problem with that. Why would Inus have less access to vehicles than other races? We shouldn't forget that Felarya is not a fantasy world per se, but a crossover world. There are laser rifles, jetbikes, tanks, all kind of weird stuff and a steady supply of people and wares from different worlds. There should be no problem in obtaining these things if money isnt an issue.
Also, I dont know if you ever saw a tank, but those things are just as huge as the equipment to repair them with. ^^ Inus are not completely hopeless with fine things, they just have troubles on low scale manufacturing.

It's the fuel, spare parts, replacing and maintaining parts, their weight etc, tanks and any other armoured vehicle are just a logistical nightmare at times, that's on our own world let alone Felarya XD. If native Inus have developed to post industrial revolution stage, or there are more advanced Inu races on Felayra then it does give a wide berth for future development.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:15 am

Apparently, different sources say different things, however, after doublechecking i saw that your version was indeed the correct one. So ill slightly change that.

I don't see a reason to change the last part with technology as that is NOT a race specific trait. The trait is their adaptability, not their access to specific ressources as that cant be determined by DNA
If you want to take that into consideration, you need to develop independend tribes / Packs and mention those, as done in the neko article, but thats not what I did here. So there is no problem with it in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Okay let me first say I totally agree with the purpose of this article. In fact years ago I decided to make many, many Inu characters in the hopes they would be popular so I like to think I had a small part in helping get their image out there again. There's only a few points I don't one hundred percent agree with you on.

Amaroq wrote:
ue to their wide variety, these changes are usually just the tip of the iceberg as in some regions, anthropomorphic Inu's, fully covered in fur and with an elongated muzzle, complete with paws instead of feet are a common sight.

Er I wouldn't say a common sight. I'd say a not uncommon sight perhaps, but common? I don't think so.

Amaroq wrote:
However, there are also smaller breeds, down to the size of tinies
Tiny Inu's? Not sure about that one. Cute yes, but I do wonder how the rest of the Tiny community would deal with them. Even though you left it out of the bio, it was once mentioned that Inu's don't eat allot of Tinies, but it's my belief they probably eat at least some. Though I must admit the stigma may make for a interesting character.

Amaroq wrote:
However, they often lack the dexterity of doing very fine and detailed work
Hmm I don't like this one. Honestly I don't think they should have cripped DEX ratings cause you mentioned they tend to use tech and tools and even drive vehicles, which is awesome that you mentioned by the way, but... I think you at least normal levels of dexterity to do most of those things. Especially weilding fire arms or even a basic bow and arrow.

Okay now that I've gotten what I don't like out of the way let's talk about what I love!

Amaroq wrote:
Even though they are usually associated with dogs in specific, since these are the most common representatives of the Inu species, they are truly adapted to being of canine heritage in general, hence why many scientists consider Dog-Demis, Wolf-Demis and Jackal-Demis to be just other subspecies of the Inu race

Thank you for mentioning this! Leads to some interesting ideas and supports what I've been working with Wolf Inu's in the Screaming River Clan. When you get around to sub species? I want to borrow your ear on some ideas maybe.

Amaroq wrote:
Other notable differences are an Inu's naturally high endurance, as their blood circulatory system appears to be a little more efficient to human standards.

Thank you for adding that! Ha ha! Take that Nekos. Inu's are atha-leeeetes~

Amaroq wrote:
Fights for dominance remain rare though, because regardless of its hierarchic structure, a pack stays together most of the time and develops an invisible, instinctive bond between each individual.

Another unique trait among Inu's only. Loving that! Plus it adds story potential. Just hope nobody takes it the way Robert Jordan did in WOT where Ogiers had "The Longing" which slowly drove them mad if they were away from their Grove for too long and could even cause them to take their lives I think.

Amaroq wrote:

The Huoari village south of the Ascarlin mountains is known to be a single pack of more than a hundred members and including no less than 3 different species.
Well finally! What I've been waiting for fer ages: An Inu stronghold where they are more seen than humans or nekos and in a nice non-crowded but not too safe zone too! Though I do hope this means you going to do a location bio for this and Karbo will let it be added to the wiki.

Okay now that I've said what I like let's talk about what I'd do better. Weirdly? Just one thing. You mentioned they give their emotions away easily but...where's the descriptive ways of talking about ear position being down and relating to sadness or twitching their tail meaning excitement? Add some descriptions like that cause to me it sounds too vague.

And that's it. Thanks for doing this Amaroq! Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 12:58 am

Amaroq wrote:
However, they often lack the dexterity of doing very fine and detailed work. Whether this is directly linked to their slight disability of seeing tiny things or not remains unclear, but Inu's naturally have a hard time working at jobs in hospitals or as a clock manufacturer and it requires them a lot of additional training to get rid of that disadvantage.

Remember guys. He's said "lack" not out right "They have no dexterity" I think what he was trying to say is that they're more clumsy (initially) to doing things in small details. But just like anybody else. Through good training they can be great their job. Another quirk i would add is that once they learn a skill, Their mental ability with it would be something to super human, meaning.Once they prefect a skill, for the most part stays with, even after a long period of time. Some mental capability like that would be cool.

Amaroq wrote:
due to their wide variety, these changes are usually just the tip of the iceberg as in some regions, anthropomorphic Inu's, fully covered in fur and with an elongated muzzle, complete with paws instead of feet are a common sight.

I agree with Jedi on this. Maybe more so on being rare, but that's due to the general atmosphere and setting of felarya where most of human like creatures have animal like traits (ear's and a tail) and that also depends how anthromorphic your talking about.I haven't really seen much if at all in actual canon, and in fan-fiction there's some here and there but they all for the most part describe them being uncommon or a rare breed. I'm imagining with the picture in the link your aiming between the 10-50% Anymore than that with out good reasoning like them beinga were wolf transformation type deal with also, good background. Then you would be heading in to Furry territory,and then...You and I will have Very opposing ideas of concepts ,but i don't think that's what your heading for so cool beans Very Happy

Last edited by ravaging vixens on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 2:42 am

Thanks Jedi for the very detailed review! :3 (I also thank everyone else posting up to this point of course Razz)

About the anthropomorphic thing: I didnt realize that this would cause any trouble, because yes, this is basically a new thing. I wanted to give people the opportunity to add in more feral looking creatures. So technically yes, it would dip into the furry territory a little bit, but when writing this I assumed that some people have already used these in fanfictions and I wanted to make them appearing at least legitimate. So I am alright with setting them from common to uncommon or rare because yes, I did want to make their appearance possible, but no, I did not intend to flood the world with furries as like you depicted, its a demi-world. Razz

About tiny Inu's: I clearly remember the discussion where it was said that giant Nekos do not exist. Then Karbo threw in Caylin in Hard choices and everyone was like "Well it was obvious there had to be giant Nekos". And just because there are giant Nekos who eat humans, most humans don't hate Nekos now, do they? Heck, Nekos would even eat shrunken humans and still they are not hated, so I think your argument against small Inu's is rather unfair. Its the same with nagas. Just because the giant Nagas eat humans, the normal sized ones arent hated that much either, at least as far as I know. There have also been sights of human sized Neeras (One appeared in hard choices, along with the giant Neko) So I think it's not really fair to say that there are no tiny Inus and that they would be hated among Tinies. Look at it this way:
Imagine Inus who got shrunken by some means and did survive, so if they make love with each other or with other tinies who they may be compatible with (not all are, but there might be a few cases where the genetic pool doesnt differ too much) then their offspring might be Inus as well - thus youd have your very first naturally born tiny Inu. It is totally possible for them to spread after that point, even though it is really or even extremely rare.

About Dexterity: I didnt say Inus generally heavily lack  dexterity, I said in combination with their low detail vision they have a hard time with very tiny and very precise hand-eye coordination, as with being a chirurg in a hospital or a clock manufacturer or someone who creates microchips. In the way I intended them, firing a bow or controlling a device would be perfectly fine for Inus and even while they do have that initial disadvantage, it can be trained. Maybe I should make it more clear. If you want to speak in Pen&Paper RPG terms, they do not have a general malus on Dexterity, but they suffer a -2 on all Dexterity rolls that include extremely precise movement / a very good hand-eye coordination, but your normal climbing check will be unaffected.

About the Subspecies: First and foremost I intended this article to be as it stands, I have not yet tried to develop different subspecies. That would be needed to be done together, ideally with people who actually made one or more in an actual story.
Since I am not a writer, I dont think I am in the position to invent clans or subspecies that have never been seen and never been used while ignoring things that have been done. So I am open for suggestions on this.

About the Huoari village: well, if more people support that idea I will write an article about that village as well. :3 Since Nekos have their own villages with Nekomura and Rosic Neko Village being the most well known, I found it to be only natural for Inus to have their own strongholds as you called it as well. ^^

About the body language of Inus: I didnt see that as a problem, everyone knows how Dogs behave, so I thought it would be clear that their body language is the same. If you want me to, I could add it in as another paragraph though. I dont see it as necessary, but I am not against adding it either.

Edit: I edited all mentioned parts of the article where I felt like you had a point. (Dexterity, rarity of anthros, body language)
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Very specific and well thought out. Though I don't see any biological weaknesses present. I suppose nobody cares about those too much anyway Razz

Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 3:15 pm

I did mention a few.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Amaroq wrote:

Amaroq wrote:
If you want to speak in Pen&Paper RPG terms, they do not have a general malus on Dexterity, but they suffer a -2 on all Dexterity rolls that include extremely precise movement / a very good hand-eye coordination, but your normal climbing check will be unaffected.

XD That must be added to the bio for humor, but seriously it clarifies what you're saying. They have some dexterity and I had forgotten about training.

Amaroq wrote:
here have also been sights of human sized Neeras (One appeared in hard choices, along with the giant Neko)

I thought she was a Inu. Then I saw she had no tail and I'm pretty sure those weren't ears they were just some odd Asian hair style. I suppose I can agree though. Tiny Inu's not impossible. Alright what the heck keep it. Heck it adds a little more oddness and adventure to a already crazy world! XD

Amaroq wrote:
About the Subspecies: First and foremost I intended this article to be as it stands, I have not yet tried to develop different subspecies. That would be needed to be done together, ideally with people who actually made one or more in an actual story.

Amaroq wrote:
About the Huoari village: well, if more people support that idea I will write an article about that village as well. :3 Since Nekos have their own villages with Nekomura and Rosic Neko Village being the most well known, I found it to be only natural for Inus to have their own strongholds as you called it as well. ^^

I'll lend you my support and see if I can't black mail more people into helping me. <.<

Amaroq wrote:
About the body language of Inus: I didnt see that as a problem, everyone knows how Dogs behave, so I thought it would be clear that their body language is the same. If you want me to, I could add it in as another paragraph though. I dont see it as necessary, but I am not against adding it either.

Well just add one example that'd be enough. ^_^ It's just when I read that originally it really inspired me to have some fun with Kin Akuno, my first Inu. XD
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:34 am

That's a well written article indeed Smile
It add quite a lot to the species with some well thought out and defining traits. And Ok at this point I agree inus should be their own full species. I'm going to rewrite their article and bring your points into it ^^

I just want to clarify though that in hard choices, the girl Caylin call "mousie" is not a neera indeed ^^; she might look like so because of her hair buns but she is actually human.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:55 am

Why do you want to rewrite it and bring a few points into it instead of using this one which already recieved very positive feedback? That was not what I intended... <.<

Seriously, I am partially disappointed and pissed about this. I didn't research and write a few weeks upon request, made artwork and all that just to inspire you to make your own article and use a few things from my work.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 7:12 am

Amaroq wrote:
Why do you want to rewrite it and bring a few points into it instead of using this one which already recieved very positive feedback? That was not what I intended... <.<

Seriously, I am partially disappointed and pissed about this. I didn't research and write a few weeks upon request, made artwork and all that just to inspire you to make your own article and use a few things from my work.

I don't recall him saying a few...For the other matter, Karbo if your are going to rewrite the article, for the most part it's detailed and simple, what changes do you have in mind to make it shorter/longer based on people's feedback in here?

EDIT: Also. It's a complete redux of Cliff's own article. In it's own right it deserves a disclamer of a sort because all the information is researched and presented for a complete rendition of a new concept on an old article.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 7:55 am

I think shortening it would be a good compromise :3 Not every detail is really needed for the concept, so it can be shortened down with enough clarification that readers could fill in the gap. (IE. Pack mentality and loyalty can be shortened down to reflect their willingness to help each other to the death without going into too much detail.)
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 7:57 am

A few posts before you aknowledged how much detail I put into it without writing too much, now that Karbo is here you say "we need to shorten it", what the fuck is wrong with you? -.-
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 8:09 am

It's compromise, man. =/ He can leave a link to the full article if people want in depth reading.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 8:14 am

Yeah but I want THIS article to be on the wiki, after all I did put a lot of work into it. I don't want Karbo to write his own and use some ideas of mine. If I wanted that, I'd have thrown some keywords at him and that would have been all. People like THIS article. So I want THIS article to be used. Maybe slightly changed, but this article at its core. It's also a sign recognition and appreciation of one's work, you know?

Last edited by Amaroq on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 8:18 am

That's what the compromise I'm proposing is. He'll use your article and just shorten the concepts down.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 8:18 am

Yeah but I want to have a say in this, not just give it to him for him to present it as his own work and doing.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 8:19 am

You ARE having a say in it. But you're saying that it should be kept entirely intact. That's demanding too much, it's going all or nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Inus - Inus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inus    Inus - Inus  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inus
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next