Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Misleading Names

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Misleading Names Empty
PostSubject: Misleading Names   Misleading Names Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

The Wiki wrote:
Tolmeshal forest is your typical Felaryan jungle.

So shouldn't it be called "Tolmeshal Jungle", then? I feel like there are a number of places on the wiki with names that are misleading. We've already discussed another one, Imoreith Tundra, here on the forum, and I think, since we've been discussiong making changes to the wiki to clean it up and make it more newbie friendly, we should take a look at the names for things and locations which are misleading and, if there isn't a good reason for them to be such, make a simple change so that it's easier to have an accurate mental image of the subject. Anyone agree? Disagree? Anyone have any other misleading names to add?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Misleading Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misleading Names   Misleading Names Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 4:49 am

I remember mentioning this a while back in a thread of Forests vs Jungles, and what the difference is, why it matters, and Tolmeshal was brought up.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Misleading Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misleading Names   Misleading Names Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 3:19 pm

I think personaly it was called Tolmeshal Forest cause it was originally "Central Forest" before there was any official map, hence why it's the most densly populated in all of Felarya, but regardless I think it stays that way because having the Jungle of Perils and the Tolmeshal Jungle would be a bit monitinous. Though I guess there's other Forests and there's no real problem. Not that it matter what you call because as a thread once posited Nekos may have a diferent name for it then humans and fairies likely have their own version of it and so forth and so on. ^^; Naming anything is really just a way of keeping track for us and making diferent parts of Felarya sound unique to new commers I think.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Misleading Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misleading Names   Misleading Names Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 4:28 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
I think personaly it was called Tolmeshal Forest cause it was originally "Central Forest" before there was any official map, hence why it's the most densly populated in all of Felarya, but regardless I think it stays that way because having the Jungle of Perils and the Tolmeshal Jungle would be a bit monitinous. Though I guess there's other Forests and there's no real problem. Not that it matter what you call because as a thread once posited Nekos may have a diferent name for it then humans and fairies likely have their own version of it and so forth and so on. ^^; Naming anything is really just a way of keeping track for us and making diferent parts of Felarya sound unique to new commers I think.
But if it's meant for us to keep track of it, shouldn't it do that? For too long I've been imagining a dense arboreal forest instead of a lush colourful jungle because it's called "forest" instead of "jungle". DX And I don't think I'm the only one. Hell, I've written completely inaccurate descriptions about the place in RPs and stories and nobody's corrected me once!
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Misleading Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misleading Names   Misleading Names Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misleading Names
Page 1 of 1